FoodBanter.com

-   Preserving (https://www.foodbanter.com/preserving/)
-   -   Are "jelly jars" different? (https://www.foodbanter.com/preserving/32935-jelly-jars-different.html)

Anny Middon 30-08-2004 10:31 PM

Are "jelly jars" different?

Bought some canning jars over the weekend, but the only half-pint ones
available were labelled "jelly jars." I bought them because the jar can't
know if it's filled with a soft spread or chopped tomatoes or pickles.
Mostly I figured that the term "jelly jar" means the waffle pattern on the
jar itself and the the fruit picture on the lid are designed to make jams
and jellies look good.

But then I got to thinking -- when I get a pressure canner, are these jars
suitable for use in pressure canning? There didn't seem to a price
difference other than that due to size between the half-pint "jelly jars'
and the pint canning jars.

Anny

Blanche Nonken 31-08-2004 12:09 AM

"Anny Middon" > wrote:

> But then I got to thinking -- when I get a pressure canner, are these jars
> suitable for use in pressure canning?

I pressure-canned single-serving batches of all meat chili in 4 oz.
jelly jars. No problem. :)

Blanche Nonken 31-08-2004 12:09 AM

Bob (this one) 31-08-2004 03:35 AM

Anny Middon wrote:

> Bought some canning jars over the weekend, but the only half-pint ones
> available were labelled "jelly jars." I bought them because the jar can't
> know if it's filled with a soft spread or chopped tomatoes or pickles.

Oh, the jars know. They go through special training for that. They'll
report you. I'd be careful. If you're nice to them, they might forget it.

Pastorio

Bob (this one) 31-08-2004 03:35 AM

Blanche Nonken 31-08-2004 11:56 AM

"Bob (this one)" > wrote:

> Anny Middon wrote:
>
> > Bought some canning jars over the weekend, but the only half-pint ones
> > available were labelled "jelly jars." I bought them because the jar can't
> > know if it's filled with a soft spread or chopped tomatoes or pickles.

> Oh, the jars know. They go through special training for that. They'll
> report you. I'd be careful. If you're nice to them, they might forget it.
>
> Pastorio

Bob, I thought we told you to stay away from the ergot.. And next time
I catch you eating the moldy rye bread, I'm gonna spank you.

Melba's Jammin' 31-08-2004 02:15 PM

In article >,
wrote:

> "Bob (this one)" > wrote:
>
> > Anny Middon wrote:
> >
> > > Bought some canning jars over the weekend, but the only half-pint
> > > ones available were labelled "jelly jars." I bought them because
> > > the jar can't know if it's filled with a soft spread or chopped
> > > tomatoes or pickles.

> > Oh, the jars know. They go through special training for that. They'll
> > report you. I'd be careful. If you're nice to them, they might forget
> > it.
> >
> > Pastorio

> Bob, I thought we told you to stay away from the ergot.. And next time
> I catch you eating the moldy rye bread, I'm gonna spank you.

Anything but that, Blanche. Anything! He likes it too much. Think
Br'er Rabbit in the briar patch.
--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> An update on 8/22/04; check the Fairs Fare tab.

Melba's Jammin' 31-08-2004 02:16 PM

In article >,
wrote:

> "Anny Middon" > wrote:
>
> > But then I got to thinking -- when I get a pressure canner, are
> > these jars suitable for use in pressure canning?

> I pressure-canned single-serving batches of all meat chili in 4 oz.
> jelly jars. No problem. :)

OK, Blanche -- I gotta ask: Why? Those are half-cup jars and by the
time you leave an inch of headspace, you're down to about nothing.
Huh? Did you mean an 8 oz/half-pint jar?
--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> An update on 8/22/04; check the Fairs Fare tab.

Melba's Jammin' 31-08-2004 02:16 PM

Blanche Nonken 31-08-2004 02:50 PM

Melba's Jammin' > wrote:

> In article >,
> wrote:
>
> > "Anny Middon" > wrote:
> >
> > > But then I got to thinking -- when I get a pressure canner, are
> > > these jars suitable for use in pressure canning?

> > I pressure-canned single-serving batches of all meat chili in 4 oz.
> > jelly jars. No problem. :)

> OK, Blanche -- I gotta ask: Why? Those are half-cup jars and by the
> time you leave an inch of headspace, you're down to about nothing.
> Huh? Did you mean an 8 oz/half-pint jar?

No, I used 4 oz. I cheated and didn't do a full inch of space, I did
generous 1/2 - 2/3 inch space. The reason is that chili's not a popular
meal in my house, so this way I have just enough to eat for lunch with a
couple of corn tortillas - either wrapped, or heated up and poured over
two shredded tortillas for something like a sopa seca.

They canned beautifully, the lesser head space didn't affect the
processing, and they work perfectly for my needs. :)

Blanche Nonken 31-08-2004 02:50 PM

Blanche Nonken 31-08-2004 02:50 PM

Melba's Jammin' > wrote:

> In article >,
> wrote:

> > > Oh, the jars know. They go through special training for that. They'll
> > > report you. I'd be careful. If you're nice to them, they might forget
> > > it.
> > >
> > > Pastorio

> > Bob, I thought we told you to stay away from the ergot.. And next time
> > I catch you eating the moldy rye bread, I'm gonna spank you.

> Anything but that, Blanche. Anything! He likes it too much. Think
> Br'er Rabbit in the briar patch.

OK, then - I won't spank him. No spankings until you shape up, Bob! :)

zxcvbob 31-08-2004 02:57 PM

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> In article >,
> wrote:

>>>Oh, the jars know. They go through special training for that. They'll
>>>report you. I'd be careful. If you're nice to them, they might forget
>>>it.
>>>
>>>Pastorio

>>Bob, I thought we told you to stay away from the ergot.. And next time
>>I catch you eating the moldy rye bread, I'm gonna spank you.

> Anything but that, Blanche. Anything! He likes it too much. Think
> Br'er Rabbit in the briar patch.

"PLEEZE don't beet me with that thar wooden spoon. ANYTHIN' but that."

Best regards,
Bob

zxcvbob 31-08-2004 02:57 PM

George Shirley 31-08-2004 03:10 PM

zxcvbob wrote:
> Melba's Jammin' wrote:
>
>> In article >,
>> wrote:

>>> Bob, I thought we told you to stay away from the ergot.. And next time
>>> I catch you eating the moldy rye bread, I'm gonna spank you.

>> Anything but that, Blanche. Anything! He likes it too much. Think
>> Br'er Rabbit in the briar patch.

> "PLEEZE don't beet me with that thar wooden spoon. ANYTHIN' but that."
>
> Best regards,
> Bob

You people are all sick preverts, maybe that's why I like you so much.
<BSEG>

George

William R. Watt 31-08-2004 04:10 PM

how much space to leave. is expansion space a function of volume?
the smaller the volume the less "head" space is needed?

homepage: www.ncf.ca/~ag384/top.htm

William R. Watt 31-08-2004 04:10 PM

Melba's Jammin' 31-08-2004 05:35 PM

wrote:

> > > I pressure-canned single-serving batches of all meat chili in 4 oz.
> > > jelly jars. No problem. :)

> > OK, Blanche -- I gotta ask: Why? Those are half-cup jars and by the
> > time you leave an inch of headspace, you're down to about nothing.
> > Huh? Did you mean an 8 oz/half-pint jar?

> No, I used 4 oz. I cheated and didn't do a full inch of space, I did
> generous 1/2 - 2/3 inch space. The reason is that chili's not a popular
> meal in my house, so this way I have just enough to eat for lunch with a
> couple of corn tortillas - either wrapped, or heated up and poured over
> two shredded tortillas for something like a sopa seca.
>
> They canned beautifully, the lesser head space didn't affect the
> processing, and they work perfectly for my needs. :)

Love it!! Good on you!
--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> An update on 8/22/04; check the Fairs Fare tab.

Melba's Jammin' 31-08-2004 05:35 PM

Brian Mailman 31-08-2004 05:49 PM

Blanche Nonken wrote:

> They canned beautifully, the lesser head space didn't affect the
> processing, and they work perfectly for my needs. :)

but 4 ounces is barely two-three bites....

B/

Brian Mailman 31-08-2004 05:49 PM

Brian Mailman 31-08-2004 06:22 PM

George Shirley wrote:
> zxcvbob wrote:
>> Melba's Jammin' wrote:

>>> Anything but that, Blanche. Anything! He likes it too much. Think
>>> Br'er Rabbit in the briar patch.

>> "PLEEZE don't beet me with that thar wooden spoon. ANYTHIN' but that."
>>
>> Best regards,
>> Bob

> You people are all sick preverts, maybe that's why I like you so much.
> <BSEG>
>
> George

I can't get a message ID but check alt.binaries.misc with this Subject
line...

B/

Brian Mailman 31-08-2004 06:22 PM

nutNhoney 31-08-2004 06:39 PM

Blanche Nonken wrote:

> "Anny Middon" > wrote:
>

>>But then I got to thinking -- when I get a pressure canner, are these jars
>>suitable for use in pressure canning?

> I pressure-canned single-serving batches of all meat chili in 4 oz.
> jelly jars. No problem. :)

Oh this is a great idea! Two questions if you don't mind. Do you use
your own recipe? How long do you pressure can them for? TIA

nutNhoney 31-08-2004 06:39 PM

Blanche Nonken 31-08-2004 06:45 PM

Brian Mailman > wrote:

> Blanche Nonken wrote:
>
> > They canned beautifully, the lesser head space didn't affect the
> > processing, and they work perfectly for my needs. :)

> but 4 ounces is barely two-three bites....

This is a very richly flavored chili. Made with venison neck (glatt
kosher, if you must know, from Musicon Farms), goat, and what passes for
lamb in the US. Wesley Pitt's recipe, home-grown and dried Mulato
Isleno chiles, very filling stuff. I suppose to make it the equivalent
of typical diner chili I'd add that little container to a can of red
beans, some cut up vegetables, maybe a little extra stock to distribute
the flavor. :) There, now it's a Full Meal.

(Besides, I like to add half or so of a diced onion and a couple ounces
of grated sharp cheddar.)

Looking forward to being stable again, so I can make more. Down to 5
little jars.

Blanche Nonken 31-08-2004 06:45 PM

nutNhoney 31-08-2004 06:49 PM

Anny Middon wrote:

> Bought some canning jars over the weekend, but the only half-pint ones
> available were labelled "jelly jars." I bought them because the jar can't
> know if it's filled with a soft spread or chopped tomatoes or pickles.
> Mostly I figured that the term "jelly jar" means the waffle pattern on the
> jar itself and the the fruit picture on the lid are designed to make jams
> and jellies look good.

My jelly jars don't have the waffle pattern. They have fruits and
vegetables on them and are called decorative mason jars. I'm using two
brands - Bernardin and Home Discovery.

> But then I got to thinking -- when I get a pressure canner, are these jars
> suitable for use in pressure canning? There didn't seem to a price
> difference other than that due to size between the half-pint "jelly jars'
> and the pint canning jars.

As long as they are mason jars, I don't see why not. Most recipes I've
seen don't give the timing pressure canning the 1/2 pints (250 ml) jars
though. I've done quite a few recipes this year using BWB and the small
jars.

BTW, I have 125 ml jars. I can't remember where I got them and I've
never seen any recipes using them. I used them for mustard one year and
last year for hot pepper jelly and storing homegrown ground herbs.

nutNhoney 31-08-2004 06:49 PM

Blanche Nonken 31-08-2004 08:12 PM

nutNhoney > wrote:

> Blanche Nonken wrote:
>
> > "Anny Middon" > wrote:
> >

> >>But then I got to thinking -- when I get a pressure canner, are these jars
> >>suitable for use in pressure canning?

> > I pressure-canned single-serving batches of all meat chili in 4 oz.
> > jelly jars. No problem. :)

> Oh this is a great idea! Two questions if you don't mind. Do you use
> your own recipe? How long do you pressure can them for? TIA

I use Wesley Pitts' chili recipe, if you google on his name you'll
almost certainly find a copy somewhere. :)

As for timing, I use the times for pints, tomato sauce with meat. I
stack the jars two or three deep, in my experience the timing is
appropriate. (I forget the exact time, and the book's packed away in a
box now.)

Blanche Nonken 31-08-2004 08:12 PM

zxcvbob 31-08-2004 08:38 PM

Blanche Nonken wrote:
> nutNhoney > wrote:
>

>>Blanche Nonken wrote:

>>>I pressure-canned single-serving batches of all meat chili in 4 oz.
>>>jelly jars. No problem. :)

>>Oh this is a great idea! Two questions if you don't mind. Do you use
>>your own recipe? How long do you pressure can them for? TIA

> I use Wesley Pitts' chili recipe, if you google on his name you'll
> almost certainly find a copy somewhere. :)
>
> As for timing, I use the times for pints, tomato sauce with meat. I
> stack the jars two or three deep, in my experience the timing is
> appropriate. (I forget the exact time, and the book's packed away in a
> box now.)

Probably 75 minutes. I bet 60 or 65 minutes would be OK for those tiny
jars.

Bob

zxcvbob 31-08-2004 08:38 PM

Blanche Nonken 31-08-2004 09:28 PM

zxcvbob > wrote:

> Probably 75 minutes. I bet 60 or 65 minutes would be OK for those tiny
> jars.

That sounds about right. Thanks!

Blanche Nonken 31-08-2004 09:28 PM

Bob (this one) 01-09-2004 12:03 AM

wrote:

>>>Bob, I thought we told you to stay away from the ergot.. And next time
>>>I catch you eating the moldy rye bread, I'm gonna spank you.

>>Anything but that, Blanche. Anything! He likes it too much. Think
>>Br'er Rabbit in the briar patch.

> OK, then - I won't spank him. No spankings until you shape up, Bob! :)

Damn. I hate it when you guys get together and compare notes...

And I was looking forward to an, um, attitude correction.

Pastorio

Bob (this one) 01-09-2004 12:03 AM

Brian Mailman 01-09-2004 01:08 AM

Blanche Nonken wrote:

> Brian Mailman > wrote:
>
>> Blanche Nonken wrote:
>>
>> > They canned beautifully, the lesser head space didn't affect the
>> > processing, and they work perfectly for my needs. :)

>> but 4 ounces is barely two-three bites....

> This is a very richly flavored chili. Made with venison neck (glatt
> kosher, if you must know, from Musicon Farms),

I had no doubt... you know about http://www.kosherbison.com if you want
kosher "exotics"?

> goat, and what passes for lamb in the US.

It's hoggett, I'm told. A teen-ish animal.

> Wesley Pitt's recipe, home-grown and dried Mulato
> Isleno chiles, very filling stuff. I suppose to make it the equivalent
> of typical diner chili I'd add that little container to a can of red
> beans, some cut up vegetables, maybe a little extra stock to distribute
> the flavor. :) There, now it's a Full Meal.

Well, OK.

> (Besides, I like to add half or so of a diced onion and a couple ounces
> of grated sharp cheddar.)

A-hem. Cheddar on glatt venison?

> Looking forward to being stable again, so I can make more. Down to 5
> little jars.

It does sound good.

B/

Brian Mailman 01-09-2004 01:08 AM

Blanche Nonken wrote:

> Brian Mailman > wrote:
>
>> Blanche Nonken wrote:
>>
>> > They canned beautifully, the lesser head space didn't affect the
>> > processing, and they work perfectly for my needs. :)

>> but 4 ounces is barely two-three bites....

> This is a very richly flavored chili. Made with venison neck (glatt
> kosher, if you must know, from Musicon Farms),

I had no doubt... you know about http://www.kosherbison.com if you want
kosher "exotics"?

> goat, and what passes for lamb in the US.

It's hoggett, I'm told. A teen-ish animal.

> Wesley Pitt's recipe, home-grown and dried Mulato
> Isleno chiles, very filling stuff. I suppose to make it the equivalent
> of typical diner chili I'd add that little container to a can of red
> beans, some cut up vegetables, maybe a little extra stock to distribute
> the flavor. :) There, now it's a Full Meal.

Well, OK.

> (Besides, I like to add half or so of a diced onion and a couple ounces
> of grated sharp cheddar.)

A-hem. Cheddar on glatt venison?

> Looking forward to being stable again, so I can make more. Down to 5
> little jars.

It does sound good.

B/

Melba's Jammin' 01-09-2004 01:26 AM

In article >, zxcvbob
> wrote:
(snippage, including attributions)

> >>Bob, I thought we told you to stay away from the ergot.. And next time
> >>I catch you eating the moldy rye bread, I'm gonna spank you.

> > Anything but that, Blanche. Anything! He likes it too much. Think
> > Br'er Rabbit in the briar patch.

> "PLEEZE don't beet me with that thar wooden spoon. ANYTHIN' but that."
>
> Best regards,
> Bob

Oh, Lord! Not you, too!! mumblemumblebeetmemumblemumble
--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> An update on 8/30/04; check the Fairs Fare tab.