torlesse

Default Is there any ways of pickling lettuce? (dark green varieties)

Hi,
Does anyone know if you can use saurkraut-type recipes for dark-green
lettuces, or has anyone come across any non-brined (vinegar) recipes
for lettuce? Any help would be great thanks,
torlesse
Brian Mailman

torlesse wrote:

> Hi,
> Does anyone know if you can use saurkraut-type recipes for dark-green
> lettuces, or has anyone come across any non-brined (vinegar) recipes
> for lettuce? Any help would be great thanks,

not lettuces, but dark leafy greens such as chard or mustard, spinach
too, can be fermented for kim chi.

B/
Brian Mailman

torlesse wrote:

> Hi,
> Does anyone know if you can use saurkraut-type recipes for dark-green
> lettuces, or has anyone come across any non-brined (vinegar) recipes
> for lettuce? Any help would be great thanks,

not lettuces, but dark leafy greens such as chard or mustard, spinach
too, can be fermented for kim chi.

B/
torlesse

Thanks Brian, I tried to start a mesclun lettuce pickle last night -
it only had a few light green lettuce leaves in it, it was mostly dark
spinachy leaves. It bruised badly though, I just hope it works.....I
added ginger & peppers to it as well - are you supposed to use a
similiar method to making kimchee?
Take care,
Torlesse

Brian Mailman

torlesse wrote:

> Thanks Brian, I tried to start a mesclun lettuce pickle last night -
> it only had a few light green lettuce leaves in it, it was mostly dark
> spinachy leaves. It bruised badly though, I just hope it works.....I
> added ginger & peppers to it as well - are you supposed to use a
> similiar method to making kimchee?
> Take care,
> Torlesse

For spinachy-type things I wouldn't cut them up or manhandle them in
anyway. Just "kill" (the Korean word) by salting overnight first.

Basically, kim chee/chi is made by salting the veggies overnight and
then rinsing them off. Next add the spices and water and more salt.
ANd yes, ginger, peppers (a different one than cayenne, it's more like a
hot paprika) green onions, and lotsa garlic are in order.

B/
Brian Mailman

torlesse wrote:

> Thanks Brian, I tried to start a mesclun lettuce pickle last night -
> it only had a few light green lettuce leaves in it, it was mostly dark
> spinachy leaves. It bruised badly though, I just hope it works.....I
> added ginger & peppers to it as well - are you supposed to use a
> similiar method to making kimchee?
> Take care,
> Torlesse

For spinachy-type things I wouldn't cut them up or manhandle them in
anyway. Just "kill" (the Korean word) by salting overnight first.

Basically, kim chee/chi is made by salting the veggies overnight and
then rinsing them off. Next add the spices and water and more salt.
ANd yes, ginger, peppers (a different one than cayenne, it's more like a
hot paprika) green onions, and lotsa garlic are in order.

B/
Brian Mailman

torlesse wrote:

> Thanks Brian, I tried to start a mesclun lettuce pickle last night -
> it only had a few light green lettuce leaves in it, it was mostly dark
> spinachy leaves. It bruised badly though, I just hope it works.....I
> added ginger & peppers to it as well - are you supposed to use a
> similiar method to making kimchee?
> Take care,
> Torlesse

For spinachy-type things I wouldn't cut them up or manhandle them in
anyway. Just "kill" (the Korean word) by salting overnight first.

Basically, kim chee/chi is made by salting the veggies overnight and
then rinsing them off. Next add the spices and water and more salt.
ANd yes, ginger, peppers (a different one than cayenne, it's more like a
hot paprika) green onions, and lotsa garlic are in order.

B/
Ed Moo

Brian Mailman wrote:

> torlesse wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>> Does anyone know if you can use saurkraut-type recipes for dark-green
>> lettuces, or has anyone come across any non-brined (vinegar) recipes
>> for lettuce? Any help would be great thanks,

Always remember the story of the farmer that tried to make sileage from
discard lettuce. Wouldn't work, too watery.
Fresh whole Milk has a lower percentage of water than lettuce. The fats,
milk solids including proteins etc, make up the rest.

Cheers
Ed

Ed Moo