simple little news reader

Default Load of carrots to deal with

Hello to all,
I am coming out of lurkdom to get some ideas, I have 50 lbs of carrots to
can, I've run out of room in the freezer.
I've canned carrots and many types of veggies in the past . What else can I
do with carrots besides just canning plain carrots?

~Toots in Nova Scotia

Brian Mailman

simple little news reader wrote:

> Hello to all,
> I am coming out of lurkdom to get some ideas, I have 50 lbs of carrots to
> can, I've run out of room in the freezer.
> I've canned carrots and many types of veggies in the past . What else can I
> do with carrots besides just canning plain carrots?

Dry them for soups and stews...

Pickles, either sweet:
http://www.jewishfood-list.com/recip...essweet01.html

or savory:
http://www.jewishfood-list.com/recip...cksdill01.html

Unfortunately I don't have a recipe for giardianera (sp?) the pickled
mix of carrots, onions, caulflower and red pepper, but that's a possibility.

Carrot cake and freeze that...

B/
Blanche Nonken

"simple little news reader" > wrote:

> Hello to all,
> I am coming out of lurkdom to get some ideas, I have 50 lbs of carrots to
> can, I've run out of room in the freezer.
> I've canned carrots and many types of veggies in the past . What else can I
> do with carrots besides just canning plain carrots?

My mom used to add chunks to plum jam when cooking. After the jam
cooled, the carrots were sweet like chewy candy.
Kacey

Carrot marmalade; carrot relish; carrots in sweet & sour sauce; pickled
juliene carrot and zucchini strips for winter salads; add to potatoes,
celery for stew veggies; copper pennies (freeze); carrot pie (use your
favorite pumpkin or sweet potato filling recipe & freeze). The Ball
Blue Book has a recipe for the mixed veggies - I would assume Bernadine
would also. Just a few thoughts.
Kacey

simple little news reader wrote:
> Hello to all,
> I am coming out of lurkdom to get some ideas, I have 50 lbs of carrots to
> can, I've run out of room in the freezer.
> I've canned carrots and many types of veggies in the past . What else can I
> do with carrots besides just canning plain carrots?
>
> ~Toots in Nova Scotia

Kacey

Carrot marmalade; carrot relish; carrots in sweet & sour sauce; pickled
juliene carrot and zucchini strips for winter salads; add to potatoes,
celery for stew veggies; copper pennies (freeze); carrot pie (use your
favorite pumpkin or sweet potato filling recipe & freeze). The Ball
Blue Book has a recipe for the mixed veggies - I would assume Bernadine
would also. Just a few thoughts.
Kacey

simple little news reader wrote:
> Hello to all,
> I am coming out of lurkdom to get some ideas, I have 50 lbs of carrots to
> can, I've run out of room in the freezer.
> I've canned carrots and many types of veggies in the past . What else can I
> do with carrots besides just canning plain carrots?
>
> ~Toots in Nova Scotia

zxcvbob

simple little news reader wrote:
> Hello to all,
> I am coming out of lurkdom to get some ideas, I have 50 lbs of carrots to
> can, I've run out of room in the freezer.
> I've canned carrots and many types of veggies in the past . What else can I
> do with carrots besides just canning plain carrots?
>
> ~Toots in Nova Scotia

Here's a good way to get rid of 5 or 10 pounds. I made a few jars last
week:

Hot And Spicy Carrots

4 hot peppers
4 cloves garlic
1 tsp. rosemary
2 lb. carrots, cut 3" long
2 c. water
2 c. white vinegar
3 T. sugar
3 T. salt

Halve peppers, lengthwise [thinly sliced habanero is good]. In each
of 4 pint jars, put in 1 pepper, 1 garlic clove, and 1/4 teaspoon
rosemary.
Pack jars full of carrots. Combine water, vinegar, sugar and salt and
bring to a boil in large kettle. Pour over carrots to fill jars.
Get air bubbles out, adjust caps. Process in boiling water bath for 10
minutes.
Dwayne

Find a place outside that you have room to dig a fairly large hole, get a
five gallon bucket, put about 2 inches of sand on the bottom and lay a layer
of carrots on the sand not touching each other. Then cover them with one to
two inches of sand and repeat the process until you get to the top. Set the
bucket into the hole with the top sticking out about an inch, cover it with
a trash can lid or something that will do as good of a job of keeping out
the water. Then lay mulch on top to keep freezing weather from getting the
top layer of carrots.

I have never done it this way, but I did do it in a plastic bucket and set
it in my garage. We enjoyed fresh carrots all winter (we don't eat a great
deal of them), and they were still good in the spring, but they were
starting to grow roots all over themselves. We just peeled off the roots
(and skin) before cooking.

You can also leave them in the ground where they are if you aren't somewhere
that freezes the ground several inches deep wehn winter comes. We bought a
house near Omaha and moved in before winter. The next spring we found
carrots still in the ground that the previous owners had raised and
forgotten about, and enjoyed them then.

Dwayne

"zxcvbob" > wrote in message
> simple little news reader wrote:
> > Hello to all,
> > I am coming out of lurkdom to get some ideas, I have 50 lbs of carrots

> > can, I've run out of room in the freezer.
> > I've canned carrots and many types of veggies in the past . What else

can I
> > do with carrots besides just canning plain carrots?
> >
> > ~Toots in Nova Scotia
> >

> Here's a good way to get rid of 5 or 10 pounds. I made a few jars last
> week:
>
> Hot And Spicy Carrots
>
> 4 hot peppers
> 4 cloves garlic
> 1 tsp. rosemary
> 2 lb. carrots, cut 3" long
> 2 c. water
> 2 c. white vinegar
> 3 T. sugar
> 3 T. salt
>
> Halve peppers, lengthwise [thinly sliced habanero is good]. In each
> of 4 pint jars, put in 1 pepper, 1 garlic clove, and 1/4 teaspoon
> rosemary.
> Pack jars full of carrots. Combine water, vinegar, sugar and salt and
> bring to a boil in large kettle. Pour over carrots to fill jars.
> Get air bubbles out, adjust caps. Process in boiling water bath for 10
> minutes.

Dwayne

"zxcvbob" > wrote in message
> simple little news reader wrote:
> > Hello to all,
> > I am coming out of lurkdom to get some ideas, I have 50 lbs of carrots

> > can, I've run out of room in the freezer.
> > I've canned carrots and many types of veggies in the past . What else

can I
> > do with carrots besides just canning plain carrots?
> >
> > ~Toots in Nova Scotia
> >

> Here's a good way to get rid of 5 or 10 pounds. I made a few jars last
> week:
>
> Hot And Spicy Carrots
>
> 4 hot peppers
> 4 cloves garlic
> 1 tsp. rosemary
> 2 lb. carrots, cut 3" long
> 2 c. water
> 2 c. white vinegar
> 3 T. sugar
> 3 T. salt
>
> Halve peppers, lengthwise [thinly sliced habanero is good]. In each
> of 4 pint jars, put in 1 pepper, 1 garlic clove, and 1/4 teaspoon
> rosemary.
> Pack jars full of carrots. Combine water, vinegar, sugar and salt and
> bring to a boil in large kettle. Pour over carrots to fill jars.
> Get air bubbles out, adjust caps. Process in boiling water bath for 10
> minutes.

The Joneses

Brian Mailman wrote:

> simple little news reader wrote:
>
> > Hello to all,
> > I am coming out of lurkdom to get some ideas, I have 50 lbs of carrots to
> > can, I've run out of room in the freezer.
> > I've canned carrots and many types of veggies in the past . What else can I
> > do with carrots besides just canning plain carrots?

> Unfortunately I don't have a recipe for giardianera (sp?) the pickled
> mix of carrots, onions, caulflower and red pepper, but that's a possibility. B/

Here's a sweet one that is very flexible. It's real popular at the Farmers'
Market. I parboil the carrots about 3-5 minutes as we prefer a trifle softer
texture. But crunchy can be nice too if the carrots are very fresh and not woody.

Edrena
>From _The Complete Book of Year-Round

Small-Batch Preserving_, by E. Topp & M.
Howard, Firefly Books, c. 2001
Winter Salad Pickle
Makes 4 pint jars.
2 cups cauliflower florets
1 cup peeled pearl onions, or larger onions, quartered
1 cup thickly sliced celery
1 cup sliced carrot
1 cup thickly sliced zucchini
1 cup yellow beans, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces
2 medium sweet red peppers, cut into squares
3 cups white wine vinegar or Herb Vinegar
1.5 cups granulated sugar
1 1/3 cups water
2 teaspoons pickling salt
1/8 teaspoon paprika
1. Combine cauliflower, onions, celery and carrot in a large bowl. Combine
zucchini, beans and peppers in a separate bowl.
2. Combine vinegar, sugar, water, salt and paprika in a large stainless steel
or enamel saucepan. Bring to a full boil over high heat. Add cauliflower,
onions, celery and carrot and return just to a boil. Remove from heat and stir
in zucchini, beans and peppers.
3. Remove hot jars from canner. Remove vegetables from liquid with a slotted
spoon; pack into jars. Pour liquid over vegetables to within 1/2 inch of rim.
Process 10 minutes for pint jars and 15 minutes for quart jars.
Variation: use any combination of vegetables for a total of 8 cups.
Notes - this uses about 1/2 head of cauliflower. It's pretty easy to double or
triple the recipe. I just measure the final pile of veggies and multiply the
liquid accordingly. I also make it sugar free & heart healthy by substituting
_only_ one cup Splenda per batch and reduce salt by half. I use double the red
pepper cause it's so pretty.