Hot cayenne peppers.

Old 14-08-2004, 01:20 AM
sandy
Usenet poster

Default Hot cayenne peppers.

Hi there,
I have some red cayenne peppers, skinny,,,,,about a jar full. If I want to
preserve them, do I stick them in a jar, fill with 50/50 vinegar &
water,,,boiled,,,then cap it and put it in the fridge? I want to leave them
whole, so is that o.k? Do I add anything else to preserve them? Do I fill
the jar full of liquid?
Yes, I'm new at this. Thanks for your help.

Old 14-08-2004, 03:13 AM
Craig Watts
Usenet poster

Hi there,
I have some red cayenne peppers, skinny,,,,,about a jar full. If I want to
preserve them, do I stick them in a jar, fill with 50/50 vinegar &
water,,,boiled,,,then cap it and put it in the fridge? I want to leave them
whole, so is that o.k? Do I add anything else to preserve them? Do I fill
the jar full of liquid?
Yes, I'm new at this. Thanks for your help.

In my own humble opinion If the pepers are red it is to late to can
them. I do mine green. Take a needle and some light fishing line to
the red peppers and air dry them. They will make some great pizza
pepper when ground or crushed.

Cayanee green I do in straight cidar vinegar. Banana peppers we do in
a 50/50 white vinigar/water/salt(pinch).

Hope this helps.

Craig

BTW- no fridge needed for the above till opened.

Old 15-08-2004, 06:49 PM
Golem_Head
Usenet poster

"Craig Watts" wrote in message
[snip]
In my own humble opinion If the pepers are red it is to late to can
them. I do mine green. Take a needle and some light fishing line to
the red peppers and air dry them. They will make some great pizza
pepper when ground or crushed.

Cayanee green I do in straight cidar vinegar. Banana peppers we do in
a 50/50 white vinigar/water/salt(pinch).

Hope this helps.

Craig

BTW- no fridge needed for the above till opened.

I just canned my banana peppers using 50/50 vinegar/water solution and
treated them in boiling water bath for 10 minutes. When I took the jars out
of the hot water, I noticed that the peppers (whole) floated to the top.
Some are submerged under the vinegar/water solution, but others aren't.
Prior to adding the vinegar/water solution, I made sure the peppers were
packed tight, but for some reason, they still floated to the top after the
water bath treatment.

My question is: what will happen to the exposed peppers? Should I keep the
jars in the fridge in case the peppers will go bad?

Thanks for any advice,
GH

Old 16-08-2004, 01:24 AM
Craig Watts
Usenet poster

My question is: what will happen to the exposed peppers? Should I keep the
jars in the fridge in case the peppers will go bad?

Thanks for any advice,
GH

Not to worry. What you did was kill the bad guys in the air space by
BWB. They should keep just find. BWB kills molds at 220 degrees.
That's the only worry with what you have packed. Acidity takes care of
the rest. Put 'em on the shelf and enjoy.

cw

Old 16-08-2004, 01:45 AM
Craig Watts
Usenet poster

My question is: what will happen to the exposed peppers? Should I keep the
jars in the fridge in case the peppers will go bad?

Thanks for any advice,
GH

Not to worry. What you did was kill the bad guys in the air space by
BWB. They should keep just find. BWB kills molds at 220 degrees.
That's the only worry with what you have packed. Acidity takes care of
the rest. Put 'em on the shelf and enjoy.

Hold the phone. I just though about my reply and needed to add more.
We pack our jars then BOIL the 50/50 mix. Then pour over the packed
jars. Did you boil the vinigar first?

When canning the processing time is used to calculate the time needed
to bring the entire contents up to x' degrees. It's like saying can
you boil water in ten minutes? A quart yes, 3 gallons -no. So the
question is did you get the entire contents up to a safe number. Did
you did this by pre boiling vinigar mix or BTWing for a lenght of
time?

Personally you are practising iin a very safe environment. Vinigar and
peppers are an easy combo not to get the bad guys and get sick.

Old 16-08-2004, 03:07 AM
Golem_Head
Usenet poster

"Craig Watts" wrote in message
My question is: what will happen to the exposed peppers? Should I keep

the
jars in the fridge in case the peppers will go bad?

Thanks for any advice,
GH

Not to worry. What you did was kill the bad guys in the air space by
BWB. They should keep just find. BWB kills molds at 220 degrees.
That's the only worry with what you have packed. Acidity takes care of
the rest. Put 'em on the shelf and enjoy.

Hold the phone. I just though about my reply and needed to add more.
We pack our jars then BOIL the 50/50 mix. Then pour over the packed
jars. Did you boil the vinigar first?

Yep. I boiled the vinegar/water/salt solution before pouring it over the
peppers.

When canning the processing time is used to calculate the time needed
to bring the entire contents up to x' degrees. It's like saying can
you boil water in ten minutes? A quart yes, 3 gallons -no. So the
question is did you get the entire contents up to a safe number. Did
you did this by pre boiling vinigar mix or BTWing for a lenght of
time?

Here's the order of what I did:
1) Boil the jars for 10 minutes - this was a hard, rolling boil.
2) Boil the vinegar/water/salt solution for about 1 minute.
3) Pack *HOT* jars with peppers (OUCH!).
4) Pour hot vinegar over peppers.
5) Add 1 TBS olive oil to each jar (the recipe called for it??)
6) Seal jars with lids that have been soaked in boiling water for 10
minutes.
7) Process sealed jars in BWB for 10 minutes - again, this was a hard boil.

It's been a few hours since I canned the peppers, and I noticed that some of
the peppers sank to the bottom. There's an obvious layer of oil/vinegar (to
be expected), and some of the pepper tips are poking through the upper oil
layer. I'm worried about those tips going bad. I'm new to canning and would
rather minimize the risk of making my family ill with my high-school biology
experiements =)

Personally you are practising iin a very safe environment. Vinigar and
peppers are an easy combo not to get the bad guys and get sick.

Thanks Craig for your feedback - I guess all that's left to do is pray that
the microbe gods will spare my poor peppers =)

Cheers,
GH

Old 16-08-2004, 03:52 AM
zxcvbob
Usenet poster

Golem_Head wrote:
[...]

Next time, slit the peppers a couple of times, so the brine can get
inside. Or cut them in half lengthwise, or slice them. The peppers are
floating because they are hollow and have air trapped inside.

The ones that are not covered with liquid will get soft and discolor a
lot faster than the one that are submerged, but they shouldn't really spoil.

Store the jars upside-down for a week to submerge the peppers at the top
of the jars (to make sure they get pickled). Turn them back upright to
store so the ones at the bottom get their turn.

Bob