What part of Dill do I use with refrigerator pickles?

Old 15-07-2004, 01:47 PM
Pete
Usenet poster

Default What part of Dill do I use with refrigerator pickles?

I planted around 50 cucumber vines this spring.
Also a few rows of dill.

Now that I have some small pickles coming in, I want to make some
refrigerator pickles.

The dill I have currently is getting ready to flower.

Do I use the leaves? Stems? Flowers? Or do I have to wait for the
seeds?
Old 15-07-2004, 04:20 PM
zxcvbob
Usenet poster

Pete wrote:

I planted around 50 cucumber vines this spring.
Also a few rows of dill.

Now that I have some small pickles coming in, I want to make some
refrigerator pickles.

The dill I have currently is getting ready to flower.

Do I use the leaves? Stems? Flowers? Or do I have to wait for the
seeds?

You use the whole plant. (Maybe not the roots.) I haven't made dill
pickles in a few years, but I usually use the dill flowers or immature
seeds or whatever stage the tops are when the cukes are ready, plus a
few pieces of the stems cut into 2-or-3 inch sections.

Bob

Old 15-07-2004, 06:21 PM
George Shirley
Usenet poster

zxcvbob wrote:
Pete wrote:

I planted around 50 cucumber vines this spring.
Also a few rows of dill.

Now that I have some small pickles coming in, I want to make some
refrigerator pickles.

The dill I have currently is getting ready to flower.

Do I use the leaves? Stems? Flowers? Or do I have to wait for the
seeds?

You use the whole plant. (Maybe not the roots.) I haven't made dill
pickles in a few years, but I usually use the dill flowers or immature
seeds or whatever stage the tops are when the cukes are ready, plus a
few pieces of the stems cut into 2-or-3 inch sections.

Bob

I grow, harvest at leaf stage, and dehydrate fern leaf dill just for
making pickles. To me it has a stronger dill taste and is more
attractive in the jar than either the regular dill or the seeds. If I
have to use dried seeds I usually crush them to release a stronger dill
flavor. YMMV

George

Old 15-07-2004, 06:35 PM
The Joneses
Usenet poster

zxcvbob wrote:

Pete wrote:

I planted around 50 cucumber vines this spring.
Also a few rows of dill.

Now that I have some small pickles coming in, I want to make some
refrigerator pickles.

The dill I have currently is getting ready to flower.

Do I use the leaves? Stems? Flowers? Or do I have to wait for the
seeds?

You use the whole plant. (Maybe not the roots.) I haven't made dill
pickles in a few years, but I usually use the dill flowers or immature
seeds or whatever stage the tops are when the cukes are ready, plus a
few pieces of the stems cut into 2-or-3 inch sections.

Bob

I've had good luck with freezing all or part of the plants, then throw
frozen parts into pickles. They taste as good as fresh.
Edrena