Member

Default Faster way to process pumpkins for freezer

I just put 50 pumpkins in the freezer, pureeing them, and bagging them in 2 c. amounts in freezer bags. It was a lot of work, and I am wondering if anyone has a really quick way to do this. I cut up the pumpkins (they were sugar pie pumpkins) and cut out the seeds and put the chunks in a large roasting pan with some water and covered the pan and baked at 350 for 50 min. Then I cut off the skin part and put the flesh through a Foley food mill. Is there a faster way to process a large amount of pumpkins?

Patty
Posted to rec.food.preserving

"beehappy1950" > wrote in message

> I just put 50 pumpkins in the freezer, pureeing them, and bagging them
> in 2 c. amounts in freezer bags. It was a lot of work, and I am
> wondering if anyone has a really quick way to do this. I cut up the
> pumpkins (they were sugar pie pumpkins) and cut out the seeds and put
> the chunks in a large roasting pan with some water and covered the pan
> and baked at 350 for 50 min. Then I cut off the skin part and put the
> flesh through a Foley food mill. Is there a faster way to process a
> large amount of pumpkins?
>
> Patty

If there is, I sure don't know. You can cook pumpkin in the microwave, too,
though, but that doesn't really solve anything except maybe being a little
faster on the cooking. And then, because the microwave can't hold as much
pumpkin at a time, you probably have to do this multiple times.

I'd say if you have a Victorio strainer that might do the straining faster
than a Foley mill (my hands get really tired using it).

I haven't done pumpkin in a few years. This year, there was a sale on the
15-oz cans of Libby pumpkin for 97 cents a can, no limit, at one of the
local supermarkets. I'd read in the paper that Libby's has a shortage of
canned pumpkin, something to do with bad weather taking a toll on the
pumpkin crops where they get their pumpkins, and that it's going to be hard
to find canned pumpkin after the holiday season until they get more pumpkins
next fall. I stocked up because I like to make other things with pumpkin
all year besides pie.

--
-Marilyn

Gun or knife faster? Steve B[_12_] General Cooking 14 13-10-2010 09:47 PM
Faster ribs Default User Barbecue 0 28-08-2007 10:27 PM
Faster gongfu [email protected] Tea 10 11-01-2007 11:14 AM
Suggestions for replacing a dead Sub-Zero freezer (besides a _new_Sub-Zero freezer...) Ted Goldblatt Cooking Equipment 2 28-08-2004 01:23 PM
Faster Boiled Eggs Mike McNeil Recipes (moderated) 0 28-04-2004 04:15 AM