Posted to rec.food.preserving

Default freeze-damaged green tomatoes

We had our first hard freeze here last night. I stripped all the ripe
and near-ripe tomatoes a couple of days ago. Haven't been out to the
garden yet today to see the carnage.

I have a good recipe for green salsa, using tomatillos. Do you think it
would work to substitute green tomatoes for most/all of the tomatillos?

Bob
Posted to rec.food.preserving

zxcvbob wrote:
> We had our first hard freeze here last night. I stripped all the ripe
> and near-ripe tomatoes a couple of days ago. Haven't been out to the
> garden yet today to see the carnage.
>
> I have a good recipe for green salsa, using tomatillos. Do you think it
> would work to substitute green tomatoes for most/all of the tomatillos?
>
> Bob

Shouldn't make it taste bad. Do you have a cellar Bob? I've a gardening
friend in a cold climate like yours who takes her tomato plants out of
the ground and hangs them upside down in her cellar and then waits for
the tomatoes to ripen. Never tried it myself as a cellar here would be
an instant under-the-house swimming pool.
Posted to rec.food.preserving

George Shirley wrote:
> zxcvbob wrote:
>> We had our first hard freeze here last night. I stripped all the ripe
>> and near-ripe tomatoes a couple of days ago. Haven't been out to the
>> garden yet today to see the carnage.
>>
>> I have a good recipe for green salsa, using tomatillos. Do you think
>> it would work to substitute green tomatoes for most/all of the
>> tomatillos?
>>
>> Bob

> Shouldn't make it taste bad. Do you have a cellar Bob? I've a gardening
> friend in a cold climate like yours who takes her tomato plants out of
> the ground and hangs them upside down in her cellar and then waits for
> the tomatoes to ripen. Never tried it myself as a cellar here would be
> an instant under-the-house swimming pool.

I thought about that, but it only has a 7' ceiling 8-) Besides, it's
too late because the plants have already frozen.

I covered one of the pepper plants I'd like to keep going. Not sure if
it survived or not, but if so I'll dig it up and pot it.

Bob
Posted to rec.food.preserving

sometime in the recent past George Shirley posted this:
> zxcvbob wrote:
>> We had our first hard freeze here last night. I stripped all the ripe
>> and near-ripe tomatoes a couple of days ago. Haven't been out to the
>> garden yet today to see the carnage.
>>
>> I have a good recipe for green salsa, using tomatillos. Do you think
>> it would work to substitute green tomatoes for most/all of the
>> tomatillos?
>>
>> Bob

> Shouldn't make it taste bad. Do you have a cellar Bob? I've a gardening
> friend in a cold climate like yours who takes her tomato plants out of
> the ground and hangs them upside down in her cellar and then waits for
> the tomatoes to ripen. Never tried it myself as a cellar here would be
> an instant under-the-house swimming pool.

Did that once too George. Before I had a concrete floor, I hung them up as
you said. IIRC, though, they ripened, but lacked much flavor.

--
Wilson 44.69, -67.3
Member

Location: Montreal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson[_3_] View Post
sometime in the recent past George Shirley posted this:[color=blue][i]
zxcvbob wrote:[color=green][i]
We had our first hard freeze here last night. I stripped all the ripe
and near-ripe tomatoes a couple of days ago. Haven't been out to the
garden yet today to see the carnage.

I have a good recipe for green salsa, using tomatillos. Do you think
it would work to substitute green tomatoes for most/all of the
tomatillos?
I had the same issue and used them in a green tomato chutney. Tasted great and because i reduced them during cooking you couldn't tell the frost had got them. For a salsa might not work as well, but let me know how it goes