sodium nitrite v smoking

Old 30-09-2009, 12:03 AM posted to rec.food.preserving

Default sodium nitrite v smoking

I want to stay as healthy as I can when smoking.
DO I have to use sodium nitrite or can I substitute 80/20 salt sugar
as a replacement.

my jerky ect does not last more than a week or 2.
Old 30-09-2009, 04:32 AM posted to rec.food.preserving

stormy wrote:
I want to stay as healthy as I can when smoking.
DO I have to use sodium nitrite or can I substitute 80/20 salt sugar
as a replacement.

my jerky ect does not last more than a week or 2.

I might could answer that, but I don't know what you're asking. What
are you trying to do?
Old 16-10-2009, 12:45 AM posted to rec.food.preserving

zxcvbob
I am smoking snack sticks and jerky that last maybe 2 weeks the most..
I would like to rplace the sodium nitrate due to cancer issues linked
to it.

Old 18-10-2009, 05:16 PM posted to rec.food.preserving

stormy wrote:
zxcvbob
I am smoking snack sticks and jerky that last maybe 2 weeks the most..
I would like to rplace the sodium nitrate due to cancer issues linked
to it.

No no no!!!!!!!!

Healthy???? If you think botulinum toxin is healthy you could be in
for a very unpleasant surprise.

ANYTIME you smoke you need cure. PERIOD!!!!! If spores grow and
produce toxin, no amount of cooking will remove it.

You may get away with it, but why chance it.

--
The world's least questioned excuse for missing work....
"the voices in my head told me to stay home and clean guns today".
Old 18-10-2009, 05:26 PM posted to rec.food.preserving

In article , pheasant
wrote:

stormy wrote:
zxcvbob
I am smoking snack sticks and jerky that last maybe 2 weeks the most..
I would like to rplace the sodium nitrate due to cancer issues linked
to it.

No no no!!!!!!!!

Healthy???? If you think botulinum toxin is healthy you could be in
for a very unpleasant surprise.

ANYTIME you smoke you need cure. PERIOD!!!!! If spores grow and
produce toxin, no amount of cooking will remove it.

You may get away with it, but why chance it.

Depends on how long you plan to smoke and whether or not you plan to
freeze it. There are nitrite free smoked meats available, but always in
the freezer section.

I made 21 lbs. of smoked beef/basil sausage a couple of weeks or so ago,
Nitrate/Nitrite free, but I only smoked it for about 90 minutes and from
there, some was refrigerated for immediate use and the rest was frozen.

I'm currently making a batch of Canadian Bacon that will be brined/cured
at 40 degrees for 5 days, dried out under refrigeration for 3 days, then
smoked for 2 hours, but I AM using Potassium Nitrate with that as I feel
it's safer due to the carcinogen question.

You are correct tho' that if Clostridium botulinum grows, the toxin
remains in the meat and it can kill you.
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Web Albums: http://picasaweb.google.com/home?tab=mq

Subscribe:

Old 18-10-2009, 06:51 PM posted to rec.food.preserving

stormy wrote:
I want to stay as healthy as I can when smoking.
DO I have to use sodium nitrite or can I substitute 80/20 salt sugar
as a replacement.
my jerky ect does not last more than a week or 2.

I might could answer that, but I don't know what you're asking. What
are you trying to do?

You can make jerky without any nitrite or nitrate. I never add anything
but salt, sugar, and spices. "Snack sticks" sounds like small diameter
summer sausage or salami -- Slim Jims or pepperoni sticks -- and you
definitely need to use curing salts with that.

(it might be possible to safely make summer sausage without nitrites if
you add a bunch of vinegar to the meat so it starts out sour, but you'd
have to really know what you were doing, and it would probably taste bad
when you were done)

Bob
Old 22-10-2009, 05:23 PM posted to rec.food.preserving

Sqwertz wrote:
On Tue, 29 Sep 2009 16:03:15 -0700 (PDT), stormy wrote:

I want to stay as healthy as I can when smoking.
DO I have to use sodium nitrite or can I substitute 80/20 salt sugar
as a replacement.

my jerky ect does not last more than a week or 2.

Dry it more, don't store in airtight container, or store it in the
fridge.

-sw

My jerky doesn't last more than a week or two because I eat it all.
:-) (doesn't matter how much I make either)

Bob
Old 23-10-2009, 01:40 PM posted to rec.food.preserving

Steve

Depends on how long you plan to smoke and whether or not you plan to
freeze it. There are nitrite free smoked meats available, but always in
the freezer section.

I SMOKE BY THE RECIPE I AM USING...

I made 21 lbs. of smoked beef/basil sausage a couple of weeks or so ago,
Nitrate/Nitrite free, but I only smoked it for about 90 minutes and from
there, some was refrigerated for immediate use and the rest was frozen.

I DO THAT WITH EXTRA ALSO. KEEP WHAT I WILL EAT IIN A FEW DAYS.

I'm currently making a batch of Canadian Bacon that will be brined/cured
at 40 degrees for 5 days, dried out under refrigeration for 3 days, then
smoked for 2 hours, but I AM using Potassium Nitrate with that as I feel
it's safer due to the carcinogen question.

WHAT IS YOUR SUBSTITUTE RATION YOU USE?

Old 24-10-2009, 02:41 AM posted to rec.food.preserving

In article
,
stormy wrote:

I'm currently making a batch of Canadian Bacon that will be brined/cured
at 40 degrees for 5 days, dried out under refrigeration for 3 days, then
smoked for 2 hours, but I AM using Potassium Nitrate with that as I feel
it's safer due to the carcinogen question.

WHAT IS YOUR SUBSTITUTE RATION YOU USE?

I use 1 tsp. of Potassium nitrate mixed with 15 tsp. of salt to dilute
it down, then use 2 Tbs. of that mix per 1 gallon of wet cure.

The pork is currently drying and I'll smoke on Sunday. I'm thinking
about smoking a chicken or two as well for noshing next week as I'm
going to be on vacation. :-)
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Old 24-10-2009, 01:21 PM posted to rec.food.preserving

I use 1 tsp. of Potassium nitrate mixed with 15 tsp. of salt to dilute
it down, then use 2 Tbs. of that mix per 1 gallon of wet cure.

omlet.

So I would use the mix instead of quick cure 1-1 then for snack sticks
or any other recipe then?

Old 24-10-2009, 04:47 PM posted to rec.food.preserving

In article
,
stormy wrote:

I use 1 tsp. of Potassium nitrate mixed with 15 tsp. of salt to dilute
it down, then use 2 Tbs. of that mix per 1 gallon of wet cure.

omlet.

So I would use the mix instead of quick cure 1-1 then for snack sticks
or any other recipe then?

Only if you want to risk it. ;-)
It's what _I_ personally use for canadian bacon, but if I were you, I'd
do my own research first!

Remember, what I just posted was for a soaked, wet cure. I've never,
ever added cure to snack sticks or sausages. I do those smoked and
uncured, then freeze them!
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein