Posted to rec.food.preserving

Default Putting it by on a Friday

We're in the process of putting up more pickled yucks, aka okra, plus
another batch of pickle relish from So Easy To Preserve. Miz Anne's
siblings will eat pickled okra so she has the idea to send them some at
Christmas. I reckon that Christmas package is going to weigh 80 lbs by
the time she gets it stuffed. <G>

I keep hoping the okra plants will give up the ghost any day now but,
NO!, the damned things keep producing prodigiously. Guess I will have to
go down to one of the local supermarkets and try to peddle them or else
set up a roadside stand, put on my bib overalls and straw hat (Yes,
Barb, I do own both) and try to draw in the city slickers.

Other than that, we're pretty much caught up on rain and it is still
very hot and humid here in SW Loosyanna.

How y'all?

George
Father Inquisitor, HOSSPOJ
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On Fri, 24 Jul 2009 13:13:54 -0500, George Shirley
> wrote:

>We're in the process of putting up more pickled yucks, aka okra, plus
>another batch of pickle relish from So Easy To Preserve. Miz Anne's
>siblings will eat pickled okra so she has the idea to send them some at
>Christmas. I reckon that Christmas package is going to weigh 80 lbs by
>the time she gets it stuffed. <G>
>
>I keep hoping the okra plants will give up the ghost any day now but,
>NO!, the damned things keep producing prodigiously. Guess I will have to
>go down to one of the local supermarkets and try to peddle them or else
>set up a roadside stand, put on my bib overalls and straw hat (Yes,
>Barb, I do own both) and try to draw in the city slickers.
>
>Other than that, we're pretty much caught up on rain and it is still
>very hot and humid here in SW Loosyanna.
>
>How y'all?
>
>George
>Father Inquisitor, HOSSPOJ

Oh lordie I can't stand okra, pickled yuck is a perfect description.
Waste of a perfectly good jar. Now beets on the other hand.... mmmmm
mmmm good (sorry to swear, Barb)

Hot Humid and Hellish here in MD today. It's hard to breathe, sweat
rolls down your back when you're just sittin'. The cicadas are
tweaking their heads off. We have a storm that's taking its time to
get here tonight. Hurry up.

I have to sell some of my jams and jellies and stuff on Ebay, can't
sell any of it around here. Heck half the housewives in town do that
at the farmer's market already. Do you sell anything you can?

I have a straw hat, think that'll help?

snow
Posted to rec.food.preserving

wrote:

> Oh lordie I can't stand okra, pickled yuck is a perfect description.
> Waste of a perfectly good jar. Now beets on the other hand.... mmmmm
> mmmm good (sorry to swear, Barb)
>
> Hot Humid and Hellish here in MD today. It's hard to breathe, sweat
> rolls down your back when you're just sittin'. The cicadas are
> tweaking their heads off. We have a storm that's taking its time to
> get here tonight. Hurry up.

You must live in Southern Maryland, it's always hot and humid there at
this time of year. How are the mosquitoes doing? One of my fond memories
of being stationed at Pax River NAS was the skeeters coming out at dark
and threatening to fly off with the whole human.

> I have to sell some of my jams and jellies and stuff on Ebay, can't
> sell any of it around here. Heck half the housewives in town do that
> at the farmer's market already. Do you sell anything you can?

Our farmer's market is rather small, eight or ten booths at most, and
only operates on Saturday from 0700 to 1200. Generally we can sell any
extra produce we have with no problem. I see the ladies with jams,
jellies, pickled this and that's selling nearly all they bring each
week. Our SMSA, Standard Metropolitan Statistics Area, covers five
parishes and over a million people so we get pretty good crowds. DW sold
a couple of her watercolors at the last one she attended plus about ten
bouquets of zinnias at two bucks a pop. We have more zinnias growing
here than anything other than grass.

> I have a straw hat, think that'll help?
>
> snow

It always helps us, even if only to keep the sun off your head. Try a
poke bonnet and a feed sack dress, that should work.
Posted to rec.food.preserving

"George Shirley" > wrote in message

>> Oh lordie I can't stand okra, pickled yuck is a perfect description.
>> Waste of a perfectly good jar. Now beets on the other hand.... mmmmm
>> mmmm good (sorry to swear, Barb)
>>
>> Hot Humid and Hellish here in MD today. It's hard to breathe, sweat
>> rolls down your back when you're just sittin'. The cicadas are
>> tweaking their heads off. We have a storm that's taking its time to
>> get here tonight. Hurry up.

> You must live in Southern Maryland, it's always hot and humid there at
> this time of year. How are the mosquitoes doing? One of my fond memories
> of being stationed at Pax River NAS was the skeeters coming out at dark
> and threatening to fly off with the whole human.
>

>> I have to sell some of my jams and jellies and stuff on Ebay, can't
>> sell any of it around here. Heck half the housewives in town do that
>> at the farmer's market already. Do you sell anything you can?

> Our farmer's market is rather small, eight or ten booths at most, and only
> operates on Saturday from 0700 to 1200. Generally we can sell any extra
> produce we have with no problem. I see the ladies with jams, jellies,
> pickled this and that's selling nearly all they bring each week. Our SMSA,
> Standard Metropolitan Statistics Area, covers five parishes and over a
> million people so we get pretty good crowds. DW sold a couple of her
> watercolors at the last one she attended plus about ten bouquets of
> zinnias at two bucks a pop. We have more zinnias growing here than
> anything other than grass.
>

>> I have a straw hat, think that'll help?
>>
>> snow

> It always helps us, even if only to keep the sun off your head. Try a poke
> bonnet and a feed sack dress, that should work.

lol!

would that be with or without pearls ??

Kathi

Posted to rec.food.preserving

Kathi Jones wrote:
> "George Shirley" > wrote in message
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Oh lordie I can't stand okra, pickled yuck is a perfect description.
>>> Waste of a perfectly good jar. Now beets on the other hand.... mmmmm
>>> mmmm good (sorry to swear, Barb)
>>>
>>> Hot Humid and Hellish here in MD today. It's hard to breathe, sweat
>>> rolls down your back when you're just sittin'. The cicadas are
>>> tweaking their heads off. We have a storm that's taking its time to
>>> get here tonight. Hurry up.

>> You must live in Southern Maryland, it's always hot and humid there at
>> this time of year. How are the mosquitoes doing? One of my fond memories
>> of being stationed at Pax River NAS was the skeeters coming out at dark
>> and threatening to fly off with the whole human.
>>
>>> I have to sell some of my jams and jellies and stuff on Ebay, can't
>>> sell any of it around here. Heck half the housewives in town do that
>>> at the farmer's market already. Do you sell anything you can?

>> Our farmer's market is rather small, eight or ten booths at most, and only
>> operates on Saturday from 0700 to 1200. Generally we can sell any extra
>> produce we have with no problem. I see the ladies with jams, jellies,
>> pickled this and that's selling nearly all they bring each week. Our SMSA,
>> Standard Metropolitan Statistics Area, covers five parishes and over a
>> million people so we get pretty good crowds. DW sold a couple of her
>> watercolors at the last one she attended plus about ten bouquets of
>> zinnias at two bucks a pop. We have more zinnias growing here than
>> anything other than grass.
>>
>>> I have a straw hat, think that'll help?
>>>
>>> snow

>> It always helps us, even if only to keep the sun off your head. Try a poke
>> bonnet and a feed sack dress, that should work.

> lol!
>
> would that be with or without pearls ??
>

> Kathi

I reckon it depends on where you live. I don't think Barb would be seen
without her pearls. <G>

You wear pearls to our farmer's market people will think you're putting
on airs.