Posted to rec.food.preserving

Default Watermelon Pickles. . .

.. . . are on the horizon. I bought a melon that has a rind that's about
1/2-3/4" thick on about 2/3 of it. Woo-hoo!

--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller - good news 4-6-2009
Posted to rec.food.preserving

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> . . . are on the horizon. I bought a melon that has a rind that's about
> 1/2-3/4" thick on about 2/3 of it. Woo-hoo!

Yuck! You and Miz Anne can eat those nasty things but I don't care for
them. Eat the watermelon, chunk the rind is my motto.

George, ducking and running
Posted to rec.food.preserving

"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
>. . . are on the horizon. I bought a melon that has a rind that's about
> 1/2-3/4" thick on about 2/3 of it. Woo-hoo!
>
> --
> -Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
> http://web.me.com/barbschaller - good news 4-6-2009
> "Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle."
> -Philo of Alexandria

yumyum...I did a batch a couple of years ago. I didn't get any feed back
from anyone I gifted a jar to, so I guess I wont be making them again.....

I suspect some people think they are just too weird

Kathi

Posted to rec.food.preserving

"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
>. . . are on the horizon. I bought a melon that has a rind that's about
> 1/2-3/4" thick on about 2/3 of it. Woo-hoo!
>
> --
> -Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ

I'll never forget the year I was making waddermellin pikkles for my Farmers'
Market stall. A coupla ladies were in town for mama's funeral and they
bought some pikkles like their mama made for their Papa. Pickled peaches,
too. We all cried.
Personally. I think they're way too sweet. I might try some crispy & lots
less sweet.
Edrena,
off on a bike run with Ol' Whiskerface, but in the Baja beetle (cause of
the wheelchair). After all - makimg noise is the point, right?
Vrrooom. And taking pickles for the picnic.

Posted to rec.food.preserving

Kathi Jones wrote:
> "Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
>> . . . are on the horizon. I bought a melon that has a rind that's about
>> 1/2-3/4" thick on about 2/3 of it. Woo-hoo!
>>
>> --
>> -Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
>> http://web.me.com/barbschaller - good news 4-6-2009
>> "Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle."
>> -Philo of Alexandria

> yumyum...I did a batch a couple of years ago. I didn't get any feed back
> from anyone I gifted a jar to, so I guess I wont be making them again.....
>
> I suspect some people think they are just too weird

For me, I just don't like the spices in them. I'm not a fan of the
"warm" spices like cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, etc. One day, I will try
to make them as a regular sweet pickle without those spices, and see if
I like them more.

Serene

--
42 Magazine, celebrating life with meaning. Inaugural issue is here!
http://42magazine.com

"But here's a handy hint: if your fabulous theory for ending war and
all other human conflict will not survive an online argument with
humourless feminists who are not afraid to throw rape around as an
example, your theory needs work." -- Aqua, alt.polyamory

Posted to rec.food.preserving

In article >,
Melba's Jammin' > wrote:

> . . . are on the horizon. I bought a melon that has a rind that's about
> 1/2-3/4" thick on about 2/3 of it. Woo-hoo!

And now they are done. Two pints for Fair entries and four half pints
for some lucky souls. :-)

--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller - good news 4-6-2009
"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle."
-Philo of Alexandria
Posted to rec.food.preserving

"The Joneses" > wrote in message
> "Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
>>. . . are on the horizon. I bought a melon that has a rind that's about
>> 1/2-3/4" thick on about 2/3 of it. Woo-hoo!
>>
>> --
>> -Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ

> I'll never forget the year I was making waddermellin pikkles for my
> Farmers' Market stall. A coupla ladies were in town for mama's funeral and
> they bought some pikkles like their mama made for their Papa. Pickled
> peaches, too. We all cried.
> Personally. I think they're way too sweet. I might try some crispy & lots
> less sweet.
> Edrena,
> off on a bike run with Ol' Whiskerface, but in the Baja beetle (cause of
> the wheelchair). After all - makimg noise is the point, right?
> Vrrooom. And taking pickles for the picnic.

Edrena,
How is Ol' Fuzzface doing? Tell him one of your cyber friends is asking
after him and said a prayer for his recovery.
-ginny

Posted to rec.food.preserving

"The Joneses" > wrote in message

> "Virginia Tadrzynski" > wrote in message

>>> I'll never forget the year I was making waddermellin pikkles for my
>>> Farmers' Market stall. A coupla ladies were in town for mama's funeral
>>> and they bought some pikkles like their mama made for their Papa.
>>> Pickled peaches, too. We all cried.
>>> Personally. I think they're way too sweet. I might try some crispy &
>>> lots less sweet.
>>> Edrena,
>>> off on a bike run with Ol' Whiskerface, but in the Baja beetle (cause
>>> of the wheelchair). After all - makimg noise is the point, right?
>>> Vrrooom. And taking pickles for the picnic.
>>>

>> Edrena,
>> How is Ol' Fuzzface doing? Tell him one of your cyber friends is asking
>> after him and said a prayer for his recovery.
>> -ginny
>>

> He's agreeing that the worst part of cancer can be NOT dying. Pray for
> smokers to quit. I met a youngish biker at the phone store smelling of
> smoke, turned out to be a guy from a religious motorcycle ministry. They
> keep him company. They held a small group that prayed that ol' cx right
> out of his body. We'll see. I pray for his comfort and awareness of love.
> The new biker buddy hasn't smoked in over 4 weeks.
> Point - I stopped asking cx friends "How're you doing?" instead, I ask
> "What joy did you find in the world today?" Sometimes that first cup of
> coffee is the best we can do. Watching cats play, sunsets, etc.
> We appeciate friends who pray for us. He's not religious, but he
> appreciates the thoughts and time.
> God bless us, every one.
> Edrena

great post, Edrena. I quit almost 5 years ago, my hubby almost 9 months
ago. I just pray that we both quit soon enough....

hugs,
Kathi

Posted to rec.food.preserving

Kathi Jones wrote:
> "The Joneses" > wrote in message

>>> Edrena,
>>> How is Ol' Fuzzface doing? Tell him one of your cyber friends is asking
>>> after him and said a prayer for his recovery.
>>> -ginny
>>>

>> He's agreeing that the worst part of cancer can be NOT dying. Pray for
>> smokers to quit. I met a youngish biker at the phone store smelling of
>> smoke, turned out to be a guy from a religious motorcycle ministry. They
>> keep him company. They held a small group that prayed that ol' cx right
>> out of his body. We'll see. I pray for his comfort and awareness of love.
>> The new biker buddy hasn't smoked in over 4 weeks.
>> Point - I stopped asking cx friends "How're you doing?" instead, I ask
>> "What joy did you find in the world today?" Sometimes that first cup of
>> coffee is the best we can do. Watching cats play, sunsets, etc.
>> We appeciate friends who pray for us. He's not religious, but he
>> appreciates the thoughts and time.
>> God bless us, every one.
>> Edrena
>>

> great post, Edrena. I quit almost 5 years ago, my hubby almost 9 months
> ago. I just pray that we both quit soon enough....
>
> hugs,
> Kathi

In August of this year I will have been smoke free for 15 years. My
doctors say my lungs have returned to as good as they will get at my
age. People, I smoked five packs of king size cigarettes a day for
fifteen years and smoked anywhere from a half pack to two packs a day
for the thirty-five years before that. Cigarettes caused my first heart
attack, the gases from tobacco making my blood so thick that a small
clot couldn't pass through an artery.

If you're currently smoking, quit now, if you need help quitting come to
my house and I will hit you with a stick until you do quit. I was so
hard-headed I quit for two years after my first heart attack and then
went right back to smoking, hitting five packs a day again within two
days. It took a second heart attack to teach me a lesson. My elder
sister is on oxygen for the rest of her life due to emphysema caused by
sixty years of smoking.

Stepping down on my soap box I will say: STOP SMOKING WHILE YOU CAN.

Barb's Watermelon Pickles Kathi[_2_] Preserving 5 12-07-2012 03:51 AM
watermelon pickles modom (palindrome guy)[_3_] General Cooking 6 15-09-2009 05:54 PM
Watermelon pickles The Cook Preserving 0 25-08-2006 07:01 PM
Watermelon Pickles Always Learning Preserving 8 25-07-2006 06:20 PM
Watermelon Pickles (3) Collection Terry Stautzenberger Recipes (moderated) 0 21-02-2005 05:05 AM