Posted to rec.food.preserving

Default Jars

We were in the local Big Lots store today and they had several pallets
of Golden Harvest jars there. Regular mouth quarts, pints, and
half-pints. Bought a case of half-pints for $6.75 plus tax. Last week I
bought a case of four-ounce jars, Ball brand, at the local Kroger store,
cost for those was $10.75 plus tax. Also bought Golden Harvest jar lids
at Big Lots, $1.35 a box of a dozen, considerably cheaper than Ball lids
so bought four boxes. I think we have enough jars on hand to start the
canning season, although I don't like paying that much for them. Guess
I'll have to start cruising the thrift and charity shops again in the
endless search for cheap jars. Where are those nickel a piece jars now?

Also bought a jar of Black Cherry Jam at Big Lots, one-pound jar for
$2.50. Made in Denmark, in Big Lots you never know where something is
from until you check the label. This was an unusual cherry jam though,
the label said, "Extra Fruit Added." Turns out there were whole cherries
throughout the jam. Rather odd but still tasty, especially with peanut
butter on the other slice of bread.

Looks like we will pick enough green beans tomorrow to finally be able
to can some in the pressure canner. I prefer canned green beans to
frozen so that will be a good thing. The summer squash is coming in gang
busters too so reckon there will be more of that frozen tomorrow also.
Lots of cherry tomatoes but none of the big ones as yet, hard to make a
BLT with cherry tomatoes though. The pickling cukes are starting to
produce too, need some pickles as we only have a couple of quarts left
of the 2007 crop we put up.
Posted to rec.food.preserving

In article >,
George Shirley > wrote:

> We were in the local Big Lots store today and they had several pallets
> of Golden Harvest jars there. Regular mouth quarts, pints, and
> half-pints. Bought a case of half-pints for $6.75 plus tax. Last week I
> bought a case of four-ounce jars, Ball brand, at the local Kroger store,
> cost for those was $10.75 plus tax.

Holy guacamole, Batman! Those prices do not impress me one whit. And
it makes me nervous that you're getting those prices at Big Lots. I buy
my 4-oz jars at Walmart because no one else carries them. Are they the
ones with the fruit embossing or the quilted look? I much prefer the
former; they stack nicely with rings in place‹the others are just a
leetle too big in the circumference to fit inside the ring.

When I was in Fleet Farm a couple weeks ago the half pint Kerr jars were
$6.99/case of 12. I'll be curious to see the sale price in a couple
weeks.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller - good news 4-6-2009
Posted to rec.food.preserving

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> In article >,
> George Shirley > wrote:
>
>> We were in the local Big Lots store today and they had several pallets
>> of Golden Harvest jars there. Regular mouth quarts, pints, and
>> half-pints. Bought a case of half-pints for $6.75 plus tax. Last week I
>> bought a case of four-ounce jars, Ball brand, at the local Kroger store,
>> cost for those was $10.75 plus tax.

> Holy guacamole, Batman! Those prices do not impress me one whit. And
> it makes me nervous that you're getting those prices at Big Lots. I buy
> my 4-oz jars at Walmart because no one else carries them. Are they the
> ones with the fruit embossing or the quilted look?

Don't know, haven't opened the blister pack yet and didn't pay any
attention at the time. Was just glad to get some four-ounce jars. Same
with the half-pint, they are Golden Harvest so probably have the circle
with fruit in it, although, once again, I haven't looked.

I much prefer the
> former; they stack nicely with rings in place‹the others are just a
> leetle too big in the circumference to fit inside the ring.
>
> When I was in Fleet Farm a couple weeks ago the half pint Kerr jars were
> $6.99/case of 12. I'll be curious to see the sale price in a couple
> weeks.

I don't think we get a lot of people canning in half-pints and
four-ounce jars, most of the canners I know here don't use anything
smaller than a pint.

I wasn't impressed by the prices either, I just figured it was more
Obamanomics at work.
Posted to rec.food.preserving

I scored two Kerr half-pints at a charity shop this morning on my way
to work.

(I was only a few minutes late to work)

: - )

They weren't a nickel--25˘ each. Hmmm...let's see 25˘ x 12 = $3
That's not too bad.

Posted to rec.food.preserving

Mimi wrote:
> I scored two Kerr half-pints at a charity shop this morning on my way
> to work.
>
> (I was only a few minutes late to work)
>
> : - )
>
> They weren't a nickel--25˘ each. Hmmm...let's see 25˘ x 12 = $3
> That's not too bad.

Not too bad! I would pay that any day of the week and miss work too, if
I had to go to work that is.

My old high school has an annual "homecoming" when grads of all years
get together to break their fast, revisit old times, and just see what
we grew up into or out of. Today is the day and I will leave the house
about 0930 for the thirty-minute drive over into Texas to attend. I'm
taking Aussie Jack snacks this year, a high fiber snack often eaten by
Australian Defence Forces during the Vietnam war. Let's us see what
those old ladies have to say about what I brought this year.

Posted to rec.food.preserving

Mimi wrote:
> I scored two Kerr half-pints at a charity shop this morning on my way
> to work.
>
> (I was only a few minutes late to work)
>
> : - )
>
> They weren't a nickel--25˘ each. Hmmm...let's see 25˘ x 12 = $3
> That's not too bad.

Darn right. I just found a case of a dozen 12 oz. jars (Ball, I think)
at a local Kroger (King Soopers the in Denver area) for (hold onto your
hat) $10.97, IIRC. I thought twice (or maybe four times) before I
picked them up, but 12 oz is a size I rarely see and they are so
convenient when I'm making multiple batches of jam. The price was
obscene, but what are the alternatives?

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.preserving

George Shirley wrote:

> My old high school has an annual "homecoming" when grads of all years
> get together to break their fast, revisit old times, and just see what
> we grew up into or out of. Today is the day and I will leave the house
> about 0930 for the thirty-minute drive over into Texas to attend. I'm
> taking Aussie Jack snacks this year, a high fiber snack often eaten by
> Australian Defence Forces during the Vietnam war. Let's us see what
> those old ladies have to say about what I brought this year.

Teehee. I hope you remember to tell them they won't need prune juice
tomorrow!

;-)
gloria p
Posted to rec.food.preserving

gloria.p wrote:
> George Shirley wrote:
>

>> My old high school has an annual "homecoming" when grads of all years
>> get together to break their fast, revisit old times, and just see what
>> we grew up into or out of. Today is the day and I will leave the house
>> about 0930 for the thirty-minute drive over into Texas to attend. I'm
>> taking Aussie Jack snacks this year, a high fiber snack often eaten by
>> Australian Defence Forces during the Vietnam war. Let's us see what
>> those old ladies have to say about what I brought this year.

> Teehee. I hope you remember to tell them they won't need prune juice
> tomorrow!
>
> ;-)
> gloria p

Actually two old geezer guys ate most of the stuff, turns out one of
them had bivouacked alongside the Aussies way back when. I hope they
don't get a stomachache once they start drinking water.

The main dish is always brisket, well done by a local BBQ joint. The
side dishes were excellent. I had a corn pudding with a cheese topping
that was excellent, some dirty rice, baked beans made from scratch, and
the desserts were to die for.

Ran into at least three people I had not seen in fifty years so I guess
it wasn't a total bust. Normally there's just me and my friend Nita from
my class and darned few younger than us. The class of 1939 had a reunion
going with the homecoming as a high point. They were all in walkers or
wheel chairs.

Found out my old Spanish teacher, Mrs. Hilda Rees, had died two years
ago at age 108. She was a good teacher and brooked no problems in her
classes. Some of us were taught by her from elementary school through
graduation. She lived in three centuries, being born in 1890 something.

Attendance is slowly dwindling, I guess the younger folks have no
interest in such doings. From all the white hair in there a casual
observer would think it had snowed. I came home and took a nap.
Posted to rec.food.preserving

"gloria.p" > wrote in message
> Mimi wrote:
>> I scored two Kerr half-pints at a charity shop this morning on my way
>> to work.
>>
>> (I was only a few minutes late to work)
>>
>> : - )
>>
>> They weren't a nickel--25˘ each. Hmmm...let's see 25˘ x 12 = $3
>> That's not too bad.
>>

> Darn right. I just found a case of a dozen 12 oz. jars (Ball, I think)
> at a local Kroger (King Soopers the in Denver area) for (hold onto your
> hat) $10.97, IIRC. I thought twice (or maybe four times) before I picked
> them up, but 12 oz is a size I rarely see and they are so convenient when
> I'm making multiple batches of jam. The price was
> obscene, but what are the alternatives?
>
> gloria p

Yikes. When I was starting out, I bought lots and lots of my canning jars
at thrift stores where I paid 10 to 25 cents a piece. I think the last jars
I bought were Golden Harvest. I have a few 12-ounce ones, but not many. I
think I've seen them at Ace Hardware before.

On the same note, I just got email from my church group that they got a hold
of cases of jar lids (didn't say how much they actually got) but they're
selling them to us for 65 cents a box for regular, 97 cents a box for
wide-mouth. And yes, these are Ball lids still in their boxes in cases from
the factory, not the ones that are packaged in sleeves. I'm going to buy 10
boxes of each. I still have a little stockpile as I buy them here and there
throughout the year, but I couldn't pass this up.

Posted to rec.food.preserving

On Jun 16, 1:44*pm, "Marilyn" >
wrote:
> "gloria.p" > wrote in message

> > Mimi wrote:
> >> I scored two Kerr half-pints at a charity shop this morning on my way
> >> to work.

> >> (I was only a few minutes late to work)

> >> : - )

> >> They weren't a nickel--25˘ each. *Hmmm...let's see 25˘ x 12 = $3
> >> That's not too bad.

> > Darn right. *I just found a case of a dozen 12 oz. jars (Ball, I think)
> > at a local Kroger (King Soopers the in Denver area) for (hold onto your
> > hat) *$10.97, IIRC. *I thought twice (or maybe four times) before I picked
> > them up, but 12 oz is a size I rarely see and they are so convenient when
> > I'm making multiple batches of jam. *The price was
> > obscene, but what are the alternatives?

> > gloria p

> Yikes. *When I was starting out, I bought lots and lots of my canning jars
> at thrift stores where I paid 10 to 25 cents a piece. *I think the last jars
> I bought were Golden Harvest. *I have a few 12-ounce ones, but not many.. *I
> think I've seen them at Ace Hardware before.
>
> On the same note, I just got email from my church group that they got a hold
> of cases of jar lids (didn't say how much they actually got) but they're
> selling them to us for 65 cents a box for regular, 97 cents a box for
> wide-mouth. *And yes, these are Ball lids still in their boxes in cases from
> the factory, not the ones that are packaged in sleeves. *I'm going to buy 10
> boxes of each. *I still have a little stockpile as I buy them here and there
> throughout the year, but I couldn't pass this up.

If you have a Free Cycle in your area you should put an ad in it for
free canning jars.
picked up about 250 assorted jars (50% still full from the 1970's) for
the price
of a pint of mixed fruit jam (my gift really). There are so many
people who still
throw them out. Many people where I live in So. Calif. don't know that
anyone
still uses them. And you do know that Golden Harvest is just a Ball
jar with
another name. Each one is a tad bigger - the pint is 1/2 liter, and
the larger of
the two - what used to be a quart is really a liter. Some folks have a
fit and
wonder why they can't, in some caners, make them fit. I have not had
that
problem because all my jars are mixed together.
Jim in So. Calif.

Posted to rec.food.preserving

jimnginger wrote:
> On Jun 16, 1:44 pm, "Marilyn" >
> wrote:

>>> Darn right. I just found a case of a dozen 12 oz. jars (Ball, I think)
>>> at a local Kroger (King Soopers the in Denver area) for (hold onto your
>>> hat) $10.97, IIRC. I thought twice (or maybe four times) before I picked
>>> them up, but 12 oz is a size I rarely see and they are so convenient when
>>> I'm making multiple batches of jam. The price was
>>> obscene, but what are the alternatives?
>>> gloria p

>> Yikes. When I was starting out, I bought lots and lots of my canning jars
>> at thrift stores where I paid 10 to 25 cents a piece. I think the last jars
>> I bought were Golden Harvest. I have a few 12-ounce ones, but not many. I
>> think I've seen them at Ace Hardware before.
>>
>> On the same note, I just got email from my church group that they got a hold
>> of cases of jar lids (didn't say how much they actually got) but they're
>> selling them to us for 65 cents a box for regular, 97 cents a box for
>> wide-mouth. And yes, these are Ball lids still in their boxes in cases from
>> the factory, not the ones that are packaged in sleeves. I'm going to buy 10
>> boxes of each. I still have a little stockpile as I buy them here and there
>> throughout the year, but I couldn't pass this up.

> If you have a Free Cycle in your area you should put an ad in it for
> free canning jars.
> picked up about 250 assorted jars (50% still full from the 1970's) for
> the price
> of a pint of mixed fruit jam (my gift really). There are so many
> people who still
> throw them out. Many people where I live in So. Calif. don't know that
> anyone
> still uses them. And you do know that Golden Harvest is just a Ball
> jar with
> another name. Each one is a tad bigger - the pint is 1/2 liter, and
> the larger of
> the two - what used to be a quart is really a liter. Some folks have a
> fit and
> wonder why they can't, in some caners, make them fit. I have not had
> that
> problem because all my jars are mixed together.
> Jim in So. Calif.

All the fruit jars sold in this country are made by the same
manufacturer now, including Ball, Kerr, and Golden Harvest. I recently
bought some new Golden Harvest jars and they are actually one pint and
one quart jars. The only smaller ones I have seen are the ones Classico
spaghetti sauce comes in, they're 26 ounce versus 32 ounce. Never saw a
Golden Harvest jar that is 1.2 liter. Where do you find the odd sized ones?
Posted to rec.food.preserving

> Did I read this right? Did you say that the jars still contained food in
> them from the '70s? If so, that's downright scary. It's what we label
> "toxic waste" at my house. I once had some fruit that I had canned
> (apricots) that were so sour no one wanted to eat them so they sat on my
> food storage shelves for close to 8 years when I finally tasked one of my
> kids with the unpleasant job of opening each jar and dumping them in the
> compost.

(Sorry, I can't figure out the attribution.)

Talk about toxic waste, I think I've mentioned here that after my
parents died in 1971 and '72we had the job of preparing their house to sell.

In the old New England "cellar" we found a half barrel of wine (my dad
made it every year with friends) and 2 or 3 dozen quart canning jars
(the old kind with bail tops and rubber rings) full of rabbit stew from
WWII--the early 1940s! There was no question of saving the jars--no one
wanted to chance opening them. They went straight to the dump.

They are probably still polluting the groundwater. I wonder what
future archaeologists will think of what they find in dump digs.

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.preserving

gloria.p wrote:

>> Did I read this right? Did you say that the jars still contained food
>> in them from the '70s? If so, that's downright scary. It's what we
>> label "toxic waste" at my house. I once had some fruit that I had
>> canned (apricots) that were so sour no one wanted to eat them so they
>> sat on my food storage shelves for close to 8 years when I finally
>> tasked one of my kids with the unpleasant job of opening each jar and
>> dumping them in the compost.
>>

> (Sorry, I can't figure out the attribution.)
>

> Talk about toxic waste, I think I've mentioned here that after my
> parents died in 1971 and '72we had the job of preparing their house to
> sell.
>
> In the old New England "cellar" we found a half barrel of wine (my dad
> made it every year with friends) and 2 or 3 dozen quart canning jars
> (the old kind with bail tops and rubber rings) full of rabbit stew from
> WWII--the early 1940s! There was no question of saving the jars--no one
> wanted to chance opening them. They went straight to the dump.
>
> They are probably still polluting the groundwater. I wonder what
> future archaeologists will think of what they find in dump digs.
>
> gloria p

Some urban archaeologists in California discovered some discarded steak
in a dump and the steak was still good. Newspapers taken from there were
readable too. No telling what they will find.

When I was fossicking for old bottles back in the sixties my Dad and I
found an old city dump that had been abandoned for many years, got a lot
of good bottles and collector cans from that place until I fell into a
hole from which I had to be rescued. Turns out they had dumped over an
old stump and it eventually rotted, leaving a thin crust of junk over
the hole. Scared the hell out of me and my Dad but I wasn't hurt. Just
never went back there again. The city put up a fence around the place
after that. I stuck with privy holes after that incident.
Posted to rec.food.preserving

"gloria.p" > wrote in message

>> Did I read this right? Did you say that the jars still contained food in
>> them from the '70s? If so, that's downright scary. It's what we label
>> "toxic waste" at my house. I once had some fruit that I had canned
>> (apricots) that were so sour no one wanted to eat them so they sat on my
>> food storage shelves for close to 8 years when I finally tasked one of my
>> kids with the unpleasant job of opening each jar and dumping them in the
>> compost.
>>

> (Sorry, I can't figure out the attribution.)
>

> Talk about toxic waste, I think I've mentioned here that after my parents
> died in 1971 and '72we had the job of preparing their house to sell.
>
> In the old New England "cellar" we found a half barrel of wine (my dad
> made it every year with friends) and 2 or 3 dozen quart canning jars (the
> old kind with bail tops and rubber rings) full of rabbit stew from
> WWII--the early 1940s! There was no question of saving the jars--no one
> wanted to chance opening them. They went straight to the dump.
>
> They are probably still polluting the groundwater. I wonder what
> future archaeologists will think of what they find in dump digs.
>
> gloria p

My mother-in-law had made some sauerkraut at one time and put all of it out
in the playhouse in the back yard. It was all in canning jars, but boy, did
they look NASTY. I'm not sure whatever became of them, whether they
actually ever opened the cars to empty them and clean them out. That was
when we first started labeling home preserving gone wrong as toxic waste.

Posted to rec.food.preserving

"George Shirley" > wrote in message
.. .
I had a *corn* pudding with a cheese topping
> that was excellent, some dirty *rice*, baked *beans* made from scratch,
> and the desserts were to die for.

I can't help noticing you eat a very high carb/sugar/starch diet for a
diabetic. This is going by several of your posts.

Posted to rec.food.preserving

I.C. Greenfields wrote:

> "George Shirley" > wrote in message
> .. .
> I had a *corn* pudding with a cheese topping
>> that was excellent, some dirty *rice*, baked *beans* made from
>> scratch, and the desserts were to die for.

> I can't help noticing you eat a very high carb/sugar/starch diet for a
> diabetic. This is going by several of your posts.

Only on special occasions. I use two types of insulin, Lantus, a 24-hour
low release dose, and Novolog, used 5 to 15 minutes before each meal.

I can eat certain carbs without too much danger, things like white rice,
and sugary desserts usually tear me up. The beans don't bother me much
as they are slow to digest. I eat brown rice exclusively as it is slower
to digest.

In addition, every diabetic is affected differently by carbs, not all of
us are alike. I'm a Type II, was diagnosed in 1994, my latest A1C was 6,
okay with my doctors, and my fasting blood sugar is generally below 100.
I actually have more lows than highs, Father's Day I had a low of 55
while sitting at the dinner table.

Jars & best before NT Preserving 5 12-08-2012 09:19 PM
24 oz. jars gloria p Preserving 13 23-05-2012 03:11 PM
The jars are in!! Ted Mittelstaedt Preserving 39 19-02-2008 03:26 PM
Jars, jars, jars Puester Preserving 2 27-06-2005 02:53 AM
More jars! Elizabeth Naime Preserving 7 01-10-2004 10:49 PM