Pickled avocado?

Old 15-09-2008, 07:13 PM posted to rec.food.preserving

Default Pickled avocado?

Is there such a thing? I have googled both th net and this group and
haven't found anything that mentions it per se (but that doesn't mean
much).

Somebody over on r.f.c. brought it up, so I just thought I'd ask here.

Thanks.
--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy
Old 15-09-2008, 07:19 PM posted to rec.food.preserving

sometime in the recent past ChattyCathy posted this:
Is there such a thing? I have googled both th net and this group and
haven't found anything that mentions it per se (but that doesn't mean
much).

Somebody over on r.f.c. brought it up, so I just thought I'd ask here.

Thanks.

I've never heard of it, but it would seem that a ripe avocado would be too
soft to pickle in the usual sense, IMHO.

--
Wilson N4439" W6712"
Old 15-09-2008, 08:42 PM posted to rec.food.preserving

"Wilson" wrote in message
sometime in the recent past ChattyCathy posted this:
Is there such a thing? I have googled both th net and this group and
haven't found anything that mentions it per se (but that doesn't mean
much).

Somebody over on r.f.c. brought it up, so I just thought I'd ask here.

Thanks.

I've never heard of it, but it would seem that a ripe avocado would be too
soft to pickle in the usual sense, IMHO.

--
Wilson N4439" W6712"

I picked up some pickled (unripe) walnuts (wonder how pecans would do?).
There is a type of avocado I've had over the border in Mexico that is very
small and the skin is so tender it doesn't have to be peeled. Really. I've
tasted it and everything. I'm thinking that one might take to pickling when
a bit firm still, but one cannot bring uncooked avocado over (it doesn't say
uncooked, just have to be pitted, but who cooks avocado anyway?).
Interesting idear - what herb/spice? The pickled walnuts taste like
worcestershire sauce. Cilantro might be a given, perhaps basil? tarragon?
mint? oregano?
Edrena

Old 15-09-2008, 10:07 PM posted to rec.food.preserving

In article ,
Wilson wrote:

sometime in the recent past ChattyCathy posted this:
Is there such a thing? I have googled both th net and this group and
haven't found anything that mentions it per se (but that doesn't mean
much).

Somebody over on r.f.c. brought it up, so I just thought I'd ask here.

Thanks.

I've never heard of it, but it would seem that a ripe avocado would be too
soft to pickle in the usual sense, IMHO.

How about an unripe one? Like using an unripe mango in chutney? It
sounds pretty unappealing to me; I like my avocadoes ripe.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.mac.com/barbschaller, and here's the link to my appearance
Old 15-09-2008, 10:32 PM posted to rec.food.preserving

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
In article ,
Wilson wrote:

sometime in the recent past ChattyCathy posted this:
Is there such a thing? I have googled both th net and this group and
haven't found anything that mentions it per se (but that doesn't mean
much).

Somebody over on r.f.c. brought it up, so I just thought I'd ask here.

Thanks.

I've never heard of it, but it would seem that a ripe avocado would be too
soft to pickle in the usual sense, IMHO.

How about an unripe one? Like using an unripe mango in chutney? It
sounds pretty unappealing to me; I like my avocadoes ripe.

The only way I eat avocado is in guacamole, otherwise I don't care for
them. Never met a mango that I liked either, even when I owned a piece
of a 10 hectare mango plantation in the Philipines. They just taste
astringent to me.
Old 16-09-2008, 12:50 AM posted to rec.food.preserving

On Mon, 15 Sep 2008 16:07:51 -0500, Melba's Jammin'

Wilson wrote:

sometime in the recent past ChattyCathy posted this:
Is there such a thing? I have googled both th net and this group and
haven't found anything that mentions it per se (but that doesn't mean
much).

Somebody over on r.f.c. brought it up, so I just thought I'd ask here.

Thanks.

I've never heard of it, but it would seem that a ripe avocado would be too
soft to pickle in the usual sense, IMHO.

How about an unripe one? Like using an unripe mango in chutney? It
sounds pretty unappealing to me; I like my avocadoes ripe.

I don't think there's anything you can do to avocado that would make
me like them but, Gerry loves them so she looks after my share.
But, speaking of mangoes and chutney, we've been preserving quite a
few different chutneys over the past week or so. Tuesday is our usual
trip to town day and we intend to pick up some green mangoes at one of
the local Asian markets for the next batch, Mango-Apple. Surfing
around the 'Net I ran across many warnings about green mangoes,
something I'd never heard before. Here's a C&P.
"Caution: Handling green mangoes may irritate the skin of some people
in the same way as poison ivy. (They belong to the same plant family.)
To avoid this reaction, wear plastic or rubber gloves while working
with raw green mango. Do not touch your face, lips or eyes after
touching or cutting raw green mangoes until all traces are washed
away."
Having just recently completed a regimen of prednisone for a rather
severe run in with poison ivy, I think I'll follow the rubber glove
advice.

Ross.
Old 16-09-2008, 05:28 PM posted to rec.food.preserving

In article ,
George Shirley wrote:

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
In article ,
Wilson wrote:

sometime in the recent past ChattyCathy posted this:
Is there such a thing? I have googled both th net and this group and
haven't found anything that mentions it per se (but that doesn't mean
much).

Somebody over on r.f.c. brought it up, so I just thought I'd ask here.

Thanks.
I've never heard of it, but it would seem that a ripe avocado would be too
soft to pickle in the usual sense, IMHO.

How about an unripe one? Like using an unripe mango in chutney? It
sounds pretty unappealing to me; I like my avocadoes ripe.

The only way I eat avocado is in guacamole, otherwise I don't care for
them. Never met a mango that I liked either, even when I owned a piece
of a 10 hectare mango plantation in the Philipines. They just taste
astringent to me.

I heard Madhur Jaffrey, raving about the ones from her native India, in
an interview about her book, _Climbing the Mango Trees_. She said it
was practically impossible to get a decent mango in the US. Now that
the import restrictions have been altered, maybe it's possible to get
better ones. I certainly haven't seen them yet. I've made mango salsa
a few times and each time the mangoes were practically tasteless.

Isabella
--
"I will show you fear in a handful of dust"
-T.S. Eliot
Old 17-09-2008, 02:50 AM posted to rec.food.preserving

ChattyCathy wrote:
Is there such a thing? I have googled both th net and this group and
haven't found anything that mentions it per se (but that doesn't mean
much).

Somebody over on r.f.c. brought it up, so I just thought I'd ask here.

Thanks.

Ew. That sounds about as appealing as pickled butter, to me. I mean,
really, avocado, as yummy as I think it is, is mostly just a glob of fat.

Serene

--
"I am an agnostic only to the extent that I am agnostic about fairies at
the bottom of the garden." -- Richard Dawkins
Old 17-09-2008, 06:46 AM posted to rec.food.preserving

The Joneses wrote:

I picked up some pickled (unripe) walnuts (wonder how pecans would do?).

The original "ketchup" (kejap) from Indonesia was a pickled nut
condiment, I understand.

...but who cooks avocado anyway?

I've seen trad Mexican (not Tex-Mex) recpes for chicken in an avocado
broth. Probably could google for them.

B/
Old 17-09-2008, 06:48 AM posted to rec.food.preserving

Serene Vannoy wrote:
ChattyCathy wrote:
Is there such a thing? I have googled both th net and this group and
haven't found anything that mentions it per se (but that doesn't mean
much).

Somebody over on r.f.c. brought it up, so I just thought I'd ask here.

Thanks.

Ew. That sounds about as appealing as pickled butter, to me. I mean,
really, avocado, as yummy as I think it is, is mostly just a glob of fat.

In Central America, they call it "butter that grows on trees."

B/
Old 17-09-2008, 06:52 AM posted to rec.food.preserving

George Shirley wrote:

The only way I eat avocado is in guacamole, otherwise I don't care
for them. Never met a mango that I liked either, even when I owned a
piece of a 10 hectare mango plantation in the Philipines. They just
taste astringent to me.

When I visited my brother in Saipan, there were these pickled mango
slices I became fond of. Very crisp, very crunchy, and fire engine
orange. The pickled papaya was similar, only fire engine yellow.

B/
Old 17-09-2008, 01:05 PM posted to rec.food.preserving

Brian Mailman wrote:
George Shirley wrote:

The only way I eat avocado is in guacamole, otherwise I don't care
for them. Never met a mango that I liked either, even when I owned a
piece of a 10 hectare mango plantation in the Philipines. They just
taste astringent to me.

When I visited my brother in Saipan, there were these pickled mango
slices I became fond of. Very crisp, very crunchy, and fire engine
orange. The pickled papaya was similar, only fire engine yellow.

B/

I love fresh papaya and even the dried slices. First time I ever ate it
was in Thailand when I was there on R&R and fell in love with the fruit
and the country. Unfortunately what I can get here is usually either
over ripe or green so it's not as good.
Old 17-09-2008, 04:04 PM posted to rec.food.preserving

"Brian Mailman" wrote in message
m...
The Joneses wrote:

I picked up some pickled (unripe) walnuts (wonder how pecans would do?).

The original "ketchup" (kejap) from Indonesia was a pickled nut condiment,
I understand.

...but who cooks avocado anyway?

I've seen trad Mexican (not Tex-Mex) recpes for chicken in an avocado
broth. Probably could google for them.

B/

How interesting. Mebbe I'll pickle a bit of unripe avocado. Could do one in
a pint jar fer sure. New ways to use fiber!
Edrena

Old 17-09-2008, 06:57 PM posted to rec.food.preserving

George Shirley wrote:
Brian Mailman wrote:
George Shirley wrote:

The only way I eat avocado is in guacamole, otherwise I don't care
for them. Never met a mango that I liked either, even when I owned a
piece of a 10 hectare mango plantation in the Philipines. They just
taste astringent to me.

When I visited my brother in Saipan, there were these pickled mango
slices I became fond of. Very crisp, very crunchy, and fire engine
orange. The pickled papaya was similar, only fire engine yellow.

I love fresh papaya and even the dried slices. First time I ever ate it
was in Thailand when I was there on R&R and fell in love with the fruit
and the country. Unfortunately what I can get here is usually either
over ripe or green so it's not as good.

I'm fortunate enough to live within walking distance of the Mission and
can easily accomplish those.

But at my brother's... was odd to be in a place where mangos and papayas
just grew everywhere, and my sister-in-law was complaining that plums
and peaches were $12 a pound.

B/
Old 17-09-2008, 10:23 PM posted to rec.food.preserving

George Shirley wrote:
Brian Mailman wrote:
George Shirley wrote:
[ . . . ]

I love fresh papaya and even the dried slices. First time I ever ate it
was in Thailand when I was there on R&R and fell in love with the fruit
and the country. Unfortunately what I can get here is usually either
over ripe or green so it's not as good.

Have you had Som Tam (Spicy Thai Green Papaya Salad)?

I've known US vets who served as far back as the Spanish American War.
They are all my heroes! Thank a Veteran and Support Our Troops.