Posted to rec.food.preserving

Default WeBeJammin' !

From the NCHFP site, Spiced Tomato Jam.
It's in the pouring pitcher and about to be jarred, sealed, and
processed.
http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/how/can_07/...omato_jam.html
I know a couple neighbors who are going to be thrilled with this!
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.mac.com/barbschaller, and here's the link to my appearance
Posted to rec.food.preserving

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> From the NCHFP site, Spiced Tomato Jam.
> It's in the pouring pitcher and about to be jarred, sealed, and
> processed.
> http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/how/can_07/...omato_jam.html
> I know a couple neighbors who are going to be thrilled with this!

I just can't imagine tomato jam. What is it used for and on?

Forty years ago we had a paid cook on a deer lease I was a member of.
One day he made a canned tomato cobbler. Yeah, cobbler, with the crust
and all. My Dad and his brothers scarfed it up like it was good but I
took one taste and then no more. I'm just not sure I would ever like
something like tomato jam either.

Convince me jamming lady!
Posted to rec.food.preserving

In article >,
George Shirley > wrote:

> Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> > From the NCHFP site, Spiced Tomato Jam.
> > It's in the pouring pitcher and about to be jarred, sealed, and
> > processed.
> > http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/how/can_07/...omato_jam.html
> > I know a couple neighbors who are going to be thrilled with this!

> I just can't imagine tomato jam. What is it used for and on?
>
> Forty years ago we had a paid cook on a deer lease I was a member of.
> One day he made a canned tomato cobbler. Yeah, cobbler, with the crust
> and all. My Dad and his brothers scarfed it up like it was good but I
> took one taste and then no more. I'm just not sure I would ever like
> something like tomato jam either.
>
> Convince me jamming lady!

Did you look at the recipe, Jorge? It's sweet and spicy -- freshly
ground allspice, ground cinnamon, half the clove they ask for (I'm SO
leery of any more clove than a whisper), lemon zest, lemon juice.
There's a hint of lemon. It's not bad and I suspect it would be fine on
hot buttered biscuits with some Southr'n Fried Shicken. I only tasted
the pitcher scrapings but liked it. I got five half pint jars and two
4-ounce jars. Not a real strong tomatoey taste ‹ I used mostly romas
and maybe 3-4 "regular" tomatoes. What didn't go into the jam kettle
(requires 3 cups cooked tomatoes) will become juice for Chris' friend in
Tucson.

It's good. I'll bet Miz Anne would like it. You old goat!

--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.mac.com/barbschaller, and here's the link to my appearance
on "A Prairie Home Companion," <http://prairiehome.publicradio.org/
programs/2008/08/30/>
Posted to rec.food.preserving

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> In article >,
> George Shirley > wrote:
>
>> Melba's Jammin' wrote:
>>> From the NCHFP site, Spiced Tomato Jam.
>>> It's in the pouring pitcher and about to be jarred, sealed, and
>>> processed.
>>> http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/how/can_07/...omato_jam.html
>>> I know a couple neighbors who are going to be thrilled with this!

>> I just can't imagine tomato jam. What is it used for and on?
>>
>> Forty years ago we had a paid cook on a deer lease I was a member of.
>> One day he made a canned tomato cobbler. Yeah, cobbler, with the crust
>> and all. My Dad and his brothers scarfed it up like it was good but I
>> took one taste and then no more. I'm just not sure I would ever like
>> something like tomato jam either.
>>
>> Convince me jamming lady!

> Did you look at the recipe, Jorge? It's sweet and spicy -- freshly
> ground allspice, ground cinnamon, half the clove they ask for (I'm SO
> leery of any more clove than a whisper), lemon zest, lemon juice.
> There's a hint of lemon. It's not bad and I suspect it would be fine on
> hot buttered biscuits with some Southr'n Fried Shicken. I only tasted
> the pitcher scrapings but liked it. I got five half pint jars and two
> 4-ounce jars. Not a real strong tomatoey taste ‹ I used mostly romas
> and maybe 3-4 "regular" tomatoes. What didn't go into the jam kettle
> (requires 3 cups cooked tomatoes) will become juice for Chris' friend in
> Tucson.
>
> It's good. I'll bet Miz Anne would like it. You old goat!

Baa! I'll check out the recipe for next year.
Posted to rec.food.preserving

In article >,
George Shirley > wrote:

> Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> > From the NCHFP site, Spiced Tomato Jam.
> > It's in the pouring pitcher and about to be jarred, sealed, and
> > processed.
> > http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/how/can_07/...omato_jam.html
> > I know a couple neighbors who are going to be thrilled with this!

> I just can't imagine tomato jam. What is it used for and on?
>
> Forty years ago we had a paid cook on a deer lease I was a member of.
> One day he made a canned tomato cobbler. Yeah, cobbler, with the crust
> and all. My Dad and his brothers scarfed it up like it was good but I
> took one taste and then no more. I'm just not sure I would ever like
> something like tomato jam either.
>
> Convince me jamming lady!

I've been making tomato marmalade on & off the better part of the
summer. I like mine w/o the spice. The unadorned recipe I use (from
Small Batch Preserving) calls for 5 cups peeled chopped tomatoes (any
kind), 2 oranges plus 1 lemon seeded & chopped up fine in a processor,
and 4 cups of sugar. Cook until it gels, etc. The first batch I made,
using my usual 219 degrees as a gel point, was too stiff. Mine tends to
gel far sooner than that I have learned.

I've used both Navels and Valencias; the latter is much better IMO,
marrying very well with the tomatoes. My DH never had it before and
loved it though he could not figure out what in the heck it was. I
usually get 6 or 7 half pints from this recipe. When I first made it, I
thought it would be an opaque preserve but it's not. It's a
surprisingly almost-translucent viscosity in deep red.

Isabella
--
"I will show you fear in a handful of dust"
-T.S. Eliot

Posted to rec.food.preserving

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> In article >,
> George Shirley > wrote:
>
>> Melba's Jammin' wrote:
>> > From the NCHFP site, Spiced Tomato Jam.
>> > It's in the pouring pitcher and about to be jarred, sealed, and
>> > processed.
>> > http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/how/can_07/...omato_jam.html
>> > I know a couple neighbors who are going to be thrilled with this!

>> I just can't imagine tomato jam. What is it used for and on?
>>
>> Forty years ago we had a paid cook on a deer lease I was a member of.
>> One day he made a canned tomato cobbler. Yeah, cobbler, with the crust
>> and all. My Dad and his brothers scarfed it up like it was good but I
>> took one taste and then no more. I'm just not sure I would ever like
>> something like tomato jam either.
>>
>> Convince me jamming lady!

> Did you look at the recipe, Jorge? It's sweet and spicy -- freshly
> ground allspice, ground cinnamon, half the clove they ask for (I'm SO
> leery of any more clove than a whisper), lemon zest, lemon juice.
> There's a hint of lemon.

With all due respect...it kinda sounds like catsup/ketchup jam.

Then again, there are recipes for Tomato Soup Cake that turn out quite well.

B/
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On Sep 8, 6:32*pm, George Shirley > wrote:
> Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> > From the NCHFP site, Spiced Tomato Jam.
> > It's in the pouring pitcher and about to be jarred, sealed, and
> > processed.
> >http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/how/can_07/...omato_jam.html
> > I know a couple neighbors who are going to be thrilled with this!

> I just can't imagine tomato jam. What is it used for and on?
>
> Forty years ago we had a paid cook on a deer lease I was a member of.
> One day he made a canned tomato cobbler. Yeah, cobbler, with the crust
> and all. My Dad and his brothers scarfed it up like it was good but I
> took one taste and then no more. I'm just not sure I would ever like
> something like tomato jam either.
>
> Convince me jamming lady!

I've made a nice tomato preserves recipe from Linda Amendt's book Blue
Ribbon Preserves. It's also on her website: http://www.lindajamendt.com/events.htm#recipe4
It doesn't have any spices. I compare the texture of the finished
preserves to strawberry preserves. If you don't tell people what it
is, they might have a hard time putting their finger on the flavor
right away, but it's very nice.

I like tomato jam and butter with popovers. That's what my grandma
used to serve. Also good with pancakes, crepes, toast, or with cream
cheese on wheat crackers.
Posted to rec.food.preserving

In article
Libby > wrote:

> I've made a nice tomato preserves recipe from Linda Amendt's book Blue
> Ribbon Preserves. It's also on her website:
> http://www.lindajamendt.com/events.htm#recipe4
> It doesn't have any spices. I compare the texture of the finished
> preserves to strawberry preserves. If you don't tell people what it
> is, they might have a hard time putting their finger on the flavor
> right away, but it's very nice.

Oooh, I'll have to try that one too since I have her book. I'm thinking
about her lime marmalade. Have you ever made that one or the Margarita
one?

> I like tomato jam and butter with popovers. That's what my grandma
> used to serve. Also good with pancakes, crepes, toast, or with cream
> cheese on wheat crackers.

Yes, it is great on crepes too including the buckwheat ones (galettes).
I'll have to try it with some gum-less cream cheese on rice crackers.
I'm thinking cornbread too.

Isabella
--
"I will show you fear in a handful of dust"
-T.S. Eliot
Posted to rec.food.preserving

In article >,
Brian Mailman > wrote:

> Melba's Jammin' wrote:

> > Did you look at the recipe, Jorge? It's sweet and spicy -- freshly
> > ground allspice, ground cinnamon, half the clove they ask for (I'm SO
> > leery of any more clove than a whisper), lemon zest, lemon juice.
> > There's a hint of lemon.

> With all due respect...it kinda sounds like catsup/ketchup jam.

Huh! So it does! Chunkier, though. '-) A discernible lemon note.
("Lemon note." How's *that* for hoity-toity dressing up what was
undoubtedly some poor farm woman's late season mumbling about "all those
damned tomatoes and what am I supposed to DO with them all!!")

> Then again, there are recipes for Tomato Soup Cake that turn out quite well.

> B/

My Spiced Tomato Jam looks pretty. Somewhere (here?) I read that it was
good with hot (is there any other kind?) popovers. I've decided to
crack a jar of it and try it out ‹ Rob loves popovers. Maybe tonight.
Pictures at 11:00.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.mac.com/barbschaller, and here's the link to my appearance
on "A Prairie Home Companion," <http://prairiehome.publicradio.org/
programs/2008/08/30/>
Posted to rec.food.preserving

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> In article >,
> Brian Mailman > wrote:
>
>> Melba's Jammin' wrote:

>>> Did you look at the recipe, Jorge? It's sweet and spicy -- freshly
>>> ground allspice, ground cinnamon, half the clove they ask for (I'm SO
>>> leery of any more clove than a whisper), lemon zest, lemon juice.
>>> There's a hint of lemon.

>> With all due respect...it kinda sounds like catsup/ketchup jam.

> Huh! So it does! Chunkier, though. '-) A discernible lemon note.
> ("Lemon note." How's *that* for hoity-toity dressing up what was
> undoubtedly some poor farm woman's late season mumbling about "all those
> damned tomatoes and what am I supposed to DO with them all!!")
>> Then again, there are recipes for Tomato Soup Cake that turn out quite well.

>> B/

> My Spiced Tomato Jam looks pretty. Somewhere (here?) I read that it was
> good with hot (is there any other kind?) popovers. I've decided to
> crack a jar of it and try it out ‹ Rob loves popovers. Maybe tonight.
> Pictures at 11:00.

What's a popover? Some sort of dish from Lower Slobbovia or what?

Posted to rec.food.preserving

In article >,
George Shirley > wrote:

> Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> > In article >,
> > Brian Mailman > wrote:

> >> With all due respect...it kinda sounds like catsup/ketchup jam.

> > Huh! So it does! Chunkier, though. '-) A discernible lemon note.
> > ("Lemon note." How's *that* for hoity-toity dressing up what was
> > undoubtedly some poor farm woman's late season mumbling about "all those
> > damned tomatoes and what am I supposed to DO with them all!!")
> >> Then again, there are recipes for Tomato Soup Cake that turn out quite
> >> well.

> > My Spiced Tomato Jam looks pretty. Somewhere (here?) I read that it was
> > good with hot (is there any other kind?) popovers. I've decided to
> > crack a jar of it and try it out Ð Rob loves popovers. Maybe tonight.
> > Pictures at 11:00.

> What's a popover? Some sort of dish from Lower Slobbovia or what?

Egad it's been ages since I heard someone say "Lower Slobbovia". But I
can't recall the origin. Was that an Archie Bunker thing maybe?
Popovers, btw, are a quick bread originally made by pouring the batter
into the drippings of a roasting hunk of beef when it's nearly done. It
would puff up like crazy into all kinds of weird shapes. But most people
now mostly make them in popover pans where they are a bit less greasy.
I'd love to find a gluten-free sub for popovers so I could put my tomato
marmalade on them.

Isabella
--
"I will show you fear in a handful of dust"
-T.S. Eliot
Posted to rec.food.preserving

Isabella Woodhouse wrote:
> Egad it's been ages since I heard someone say "Lower Slobbovia". But I
> can't recall the origin. Was that an Archie Bunker thing maybe?

http://www.lil-abner.com/slobovia.html

Geoff.
Posted to rec.food.preserving

Isabella Woodhouse wrote:
> In article >,
> George Shirley > wrote:
>
>> Melba's Jammin' wrote:

>>> Huh! So it does! Chunkier, though. '-) A discernible lemon note.
>>> ("Lemon note." How's *that* for hoity-toity dressing up what was
>>> undoubtedly some poor farm woman's late season mumbling about "all those
>>> damned tomatoes and what am I supposed to DO with them all!!")
>>> My Spiced Tomato Jam looks pretty. Somewhere (here?) I read that it was
>>> good with hot (is there any other kind?) popovers. I've decided to
>>> crack a jar of it and try it out Ð Rob loves popovers. Maybe tonight.
>>> Pictures at 11:00.

>> What's a popover? Some sort of dish from Lower Slobbovia or what?

> Egad it's been ages since I heard someone say "Lower Slobbovia". But I
> can't recall the origin. Was that an Archie Bunker thing maybe?

IIRC it was Al Capp's "Lil Abner." Passed into the American version of
English as a place where slobs lived.
> Popovers, btw, are a quick bread originally made by pouring the batter
> into the drippings of a roasting hunk of beef when it's nearly done. It
> would puff up like crazy into all kinds of weird shapes. But most people
> now mostly make them in popover pans where they are a bit less greasy.
> I'd love to find a gluten-free sub for popovers so I could put my tomato
> marmalade on them.
>
> Isabella

Don't believe I've ever eaten a popover, we mostly use either rice or
mashed potatoes to put the drippings on before we eat it.

I'm making hurricane soup today. I usually cook down the carcasses of
turkeys or chickens, let it cool, skim off the fat, pull the remaining
meat from the bones, then freeze it in half-gallon containers. If there
are leftover veggies from a meal, taters, carrots, beans, peas, etc. I
put them into a smaller container and freeze them too. Hurricane soup is
a combination of the the two things plus dried beans, peas, etc.,
onions, garlic, celery leaf, oregano, basil, maybe a bay leaf or two,
then let it sit at a slow simmer on a back burner all day. Give it a
stir or two, taste it and adjust the seasonings, then put in a bowl and
eat it.

I grow most of my own herbs and dehydrate or freeze them. This includes
two types of oregano, Spanish (what you buy in the stores mostly), and
Greek. French thyme, basil, Mexican Mint Marigold (a tarragon substitute
that grows well here)dill (both weed and seed), garlic chives, leaf
celery, and a bay tree.

Hurricane soup is always good, filling, and easy, requiring very little
work, appreciated by all who need a meal and goes a long way to keeping
spirits up. I think some folks call it "storm", "blizzard", "tornado",
or other such weather names.
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On Thu, 11 Sep 2008 10:44:03 -0500, Isabella Woodhouse
> wrote:

>In article >,
> George Shirley > wrote:
>
>> Melba's Jammin' wrote:

>> > Huh! So it does! Chunkier, though. '-) A discernible lemon note.
>> > ("Lemon note." How's *that* for hoity-toity dressing up what was
>> > undoubtedly some poor farm woman's late season mumbling about "all those
>> > damned tomatoes and what am I supposed to DO with them all!!")
>> >
>> > My Spiced Tomato Jam looks pretty. Somewhere (here?) I read that it was
>> > good with hot (is there any other kind?) popovers. I've decided to
>> > crack a jar of it and try it out Ð Rob loves popovers. Maybe tonight.
>> > Pictures at 11:00.

>> What's a popover? Some sort of dish from Lower Slobbovia or what?

>Egad it's been ages since I heard someone say "Lower Slobbovia". But I
>can't recall the origin. Was that an Archie Bunker thing maybe?
>Popovers, btw, are a quick bread originally made by pouring the batter
>into the drippings of a roasting hunk of beef when it's nearly done. It
>would puff up like crazy into all kinds of weird shapes. But most people
>now mostly make them in popover pans where they are a bit less greasy.
>I'd love to find a gluten-free sub for popovers so I could put my tomato
>marmalade on them.
>
>Isabella

Lower Slobbovia came from Al Capp's great L'il Abner comic strip.
What you describe as a popover, we always knew as Yorkshire Pudding.

Ross.
Posted to rec.food.preserving

wrote:
> On Thu, 11 Sep 2008 10:44:03 -0500, Isabella Woodhouse
> > wrote:
>
>> In article >,
>> George Shirley > wrote:

>>> What's a popover? Some sort of dish from Lower Slobbovia or what?

>> Egad it's been ages since I heard someone say "Lower Slobbovia". But I
>> can't recall the origin. Was that an Archie Bunker thing maybe?
>> Popovers, btw, are a quick bread originally made by pouring the batter
>> into the drippings of a roasting hunk of beef when it's nearly done. It
>> would puff up like crazy into all kinds of weird shapes. But most people
>> now mostly make them in popover pans where they are a bit less greasy.
>> I'd love to find a gluten-free sub for popovers so I could put my tomato
>> marmalade on them.
>>
>> Isabella

> Lower Slobbovia came from Al Capp's great L'il Abner comic strip.
> What you describe as a popover, we always knew as Yorkshire Pudding.
>
> Ross.

Now that I recognize. Brits I worked with drooled over the things. So
that's a popover eh!

Posted to rec.food.preserving

In article >,
(Geoffrey S. Mendelson) wrote:

> Isabella Woodhouse wrote:
> > Egad it's been ages since I heard someone say "Lower Slobbovia". But I
> > can't recall the origin. Was that an Archie Bunker thing maybe?

http://www.lil-abner.com/slobovia.html

Thanks. I should have looked it up myself but I was thinking it was
maybe too old to show up on the Web. I never read that cartoon so I had
no idea.

Isabella
--
"I will show you fear in a handful of dust"
-T.S. Eliot
Posted to rec.food.preserving

In article >,
wrote:

> On Thu, 11 Sep 2008 10:44:03 -0500, Isabella Woodhouse
> > wrote:
>
> >In article >,
> > George Shirley > wrote:

> >> What's a popover? Some sort of dish from Lower Slobbovia or what?

> >Egad it's been ages since I heard someone say "Lower Slobbovia". But I
> >can't recall the origin. Was that an Archie Bunker thing maybe?
> >Popovers, btw, are a quick bread originally made by pouring the batter
> >into the drippings of a roasting hunk of beef when it's nearly done. It
> >would puff up like crazy into all kinds of weird shapes. But most people
> >now mostly make them in popover pans where they are a bit less greasy.
> >I'd love to find a gluten-free sub for popovers so I could put my tomato
> >marmalade on them.
> >
> >Isabella

> Lower Slobbovia came from Al Capp's great L'il Abner comic strip.
> What you describe as a popover, we always knew as Yorkshire Pudding.
>
> Ross.

Indeed. Am I in error? I thought it was the same thing except that
popovers were baked in a popover tin.
--
"I will show you fear in a handful of dust"
-T.S. Eliot
Posted to rec.food.preserving

In article >,
George Shirley > wrote:

> Don't believe I've ever eaten a popover, we mostly use either rice or
> mashed potatoes to put the drippings on before we eat it.

> I grow most of my own herbs and dehydrate or freeze them. This includes
> two types of oregano, Spanish (what you buy in the stores mostly), and
> Greek. French thyme, basil, Mexican Mint Marigold (a tarragon substitute
> that grows well here)dill (both weed and seed), garlic chives, leaf
> celery, and a bay tree.

I, too, have a nice kitchen garden for my herbs. But try as I might,
thyme just doesn't do well here due to the freezing and thawing. We did
not have dill or caraway this year either. But I usually have fresh
parsley until December. This year, I may cover it.

Yesterday, I picked another 9 pounds of beans, until my back gave out,
and that was only half of what is planted. But I should not complain.
Next year we could have none. I can tell you one thing. Mr. Bill will
definitely NOT be planting so many beans.

But today I took a break from all the bean freezing (and gnashing of
totally bored teeth) and made 4.5 pints of raspberry-blueberry jam.
Once again, I think I caught it before it got too stiff but had I
followed the recipe instructions and use less ripe fruit, it would have
been like tar! As it was, it was setting up in the jars before I even
got the lids on! I don't know what it is but, with berries, mine always
seems to gel way faster than the recipes seem to indicate. Anyway, it's
perfectly delicious and darn pretty too. I threw in a couple ounces of
Chambord for good measure. Yum! My cupboard runneth over.

Isabella
--
"I will show you fear in a handful of dust"
-T.S. Eliot
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On Thu, 11 Sep 2008 17:47:50 -0500, Isabella Woodhouse
> wrote:

>In article >,
> wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 11 Sep 2008 10:44:03 -0500, Isabella Woodhouse
>> > wrote:

>> >Egad it's been ages since I heard someone say "Lower Slobbovia". But I
>> >can't recall the origin. Was that an Archie Bunker thing maybe?
>> >Popovers, btw, are a quick bread originally made by pouring the batter
>> >into the drippings of a roasting hunk of beef when it's nearly done. It
>> >would puff up like crazy into all kinds of weird shapes. But most people
>> >now mostly make them in popover pans where they are a bit less greasy.
>> >I'd love to find a gluten-free sub for popovers so I could put my tomato
>> >marmalade on them.
>> >
>> >Isabella

>> Lower Slobbovia came from Al Capp's great L'il Abner comic strip.
>> What you describe as a popover, we always knew as Yorkshire Pudding.
>>
>> Ross.

>Indeed. Am I in error? I thought it was the same thing except that
>popovers were baked in a popover tin.

I don't think you are in error. I think it is just a case of different
names in different parts of the world.
I remember my Scots grandmother making what she called Yorkshire
pudding. She'd take the drippings from a beef roast and put a bit into
each opening of a muffin tin, then she'd heat them in a very hot oven,
add the batter and back into the oven. They took no time at all to
transform into a big, hollow, muffin looking things that everyone
loved. They sure tasted good soaked in gravy!

Ross.
Posted to rec.food.preserving

My Hebrew mentor made popovers for me not very long ago--they were
very yummy!!!

When I could still eat tomatoes, I made tomato jam. I liked it. I
made it because my Grandmother--who canned just about everything--used
to make it. It is sweet and tomatoes are a fruit, aren't they??? :
- )

I am ashamed to say that my herb garden is in "a right state" this
year. Working + going to school = something has to give. I am going
on what came back on its' own this year. Rosemary--twigs with lovely
lush ends, never did get how to grow it in this climate but, at least
it isn't dead. Lemon balm--can't kill it. Marjoram keeps coming
back, neglet and all. Greek oregano spread beautifully and then I
think the heat of a Texas summer finally got the best of it. Some of
it is still there though. My parsely withered--poor thing. I
harvested it mercifully, cutting it to the ground and it kept coming
back until I think it got too hot outside for it to carry on. I have
an aloe vera plant that looks pretty good. I am not much of a
gardener--my thumb is more purple than green...despite this, my Hun
Bun built my lovely raised beds for my birthday a few years back. :
- )
Posted to rec.food.preserving

Isabella Woodhouse wrote:
> In article >,
> George Shirley > wrote:
>
>> Don't believe I've ever eaten a popover, we mostly use either rice or
>> mashed potatoes to put the drippings on before we eat it.

>> I grow most of my own herbs and dehydrate or freeze them. This includes
>> two types of oregano, Spanish (what you buy in the stores mostly), and
>> Greek. French thyme, basil, Mexican Mint Marigold (a tarragon substitute
>> that grows well here)dill (both weed and seed), garlic chives, leaf
>> celery, and a bay tree.

> I, too, have a nice kitchen garden for my herbs. But try as I might,
> thyme just doesn't do well here due to the freezing and thawing. We did
> not have dill or caraway this year either. But I usually have fresh
> parsley until December. This year, I may cover it.

It is generally hot here so thyme, the English version, makes it about
two years and then I have to start over. The French version seldom makes
a whole year.

> Yesterday, I picked another 9 pounds of beans, until my back gave out,
> and that was only half of what is planted. But I should not complain.
> Next year we could have none. I can tell you one thing. Mr. Bill will
> definitely NOT be planting so many beans.

Last year I put up 40 pints of green beans from one 24 foot row. This
year we got enough to have green beans twice for dinner.

> But today I took a break from all the bean freezing (and gnashing of
> totally bored teeth) and made 4.5 pints of raspberry-blueberry jam.

Isabella, you're obviously not dressing right nor playing the correct
music for the chore. Try a nice Donna Reed dress, some pearls, high
heels, and some very good music of your choice. Works for Barb, works
for me. <VBG>
> Once again, I think I caught it before it got too stiff but had I
> followed the recipe instructions and use less ripe fruit, it would have
> been like tar! As it was, it was setting up in the jars before I even
> got the lids on! I don't know what it is but, with berries, mine always
> seems to gel way faster than the recipes seem to indicate. Anyway, it's
> perfectly delicious and darn pretty too. I threw in a couple ounces of
> Chambord for good measure. Yum! My cupboard runneth over.
>
> Isabella

Lawdy, you done put up more stuff in one year than I do in three or
four. Keep it up and we'll all have to move in with you.

Note: Ike's winds are starting to build up here.
Posted to rec.food.preserving

In article >,
George Shirley > wrote:

> Isabella Woodhouse wrote:

> > I, too, have a nice kitchen garden for my herbs. But try as I might,
> > thyme just doesn't do well here due to the freezing and thawing. We did
> > not have dill or caraway this year either. But I usually have fresh
> > parsley until December. This year, I may cover it.

> It is generally hot here so thyme, the English version, makes it about
> two years and then I have to start over. The French version seldom makes
> a whole year.

The one that seems to do best here is lime thyme. But, as you may
surmise, it tastes limey instead of thymey. I'll bring in the
rosemary for the winter and hope for the best.

> > Yesterday, I picked another 9 pounds of beans, until my back gave out,
> > and that was only half of what is planted. But I should not complain.
> > Next year we could have none. I can tell you one thing. Mr. Bill will
> > definitely NOT be planting so many beans.

> Last year I put up 40 pints of green beans from one 24 foot row. This
> year we got enough to have green beans twice for dinner.

I hear ya. And that's why I feel guilty complaining. That's a good
amount for 24 feet, George. We just had our soil retested and, while it
improved a lot over the last few years, it still could use more organic
matter. Except for the woods, the rest of our property had been
pasture.

We usually plant a green crop for the winter but, too often, the deer
have eaten it before Mr. Bill could plow it under. Hopefully, the
electric deer wire will continue to keep them mostly out. I did find
some nipped-off beans the other day and can't imagine how they got in.
OTOH, I did not see a single footprint so maybe it was something else.
Maybe it was Laser-Cat... but I don't think cats eat vegetables. We
have both seen a cat that looks to be about 30-40 pounds with a very
long tail. This cat does not seem like a domestic feline. DH thinks
he's seen it at night, when out checking the fence-line for fallen
branches, hence the "Laser-Cat" tag.

> > But today I took a break from all the bean freezing (and gnashing of
> > totally bored teeth) and made 4.5 pints of raspberry-blueberry jam.

> Isabella, you're obviously not dressing right nor playing the correct
> music for the chore. Try a nice Donna Reed dress, some pearls, high
> heels, and some very good music of your choice. Works for Barb, works
> for me. <VBG>

Like these perhaps?
<http://good-times.webshots.com/album/566800936xbBELs>

> > [...] ...Yum! My cupboard runneth over.

> Lawdy, you done put up more stuff in one year than I do in three or
> four. Keep it up and we'll all have to move in with you.

Yeah, you'll all have to move in with me and we can start the first
preserving commune and call ourselves.... what? I'm finally starting to
slow down a little. I've been making up for lost time and having so
much fun after having been so horribly ill for a few years. It's
wonderful to be able to function again and do normal things.

(Public Service OT Sidebar: The average time it takes for someone with
celiac syndrome in the US to get diagnosed is ELEVEN years. Untreated,
the condition is ultimately fatal but the treatment is simple--- no more
wheat, barley or rye. Some people die w/o ever having been diagnosed.
For some reason, US physicians thought it was a rare condition but it
isn't. Celiac, gluten intolerance and gluten allergy affect at least 3
in 100 people, maybe more. Anyone who has a lot of ongoing digestive
problems, especially in addition to other auto-immune conditions (ie-
diabetes, MS, arthritis, thyroid disease, lupus, etc) should at least
get screened with a simple blood test that detects antibodies to gluten
in your blood. People with undiagnosed, untreated celiac have an
extraordinarily high rate of fatal lymphoma.)

> Note: Ike's winds are starting to build up here.

When I heard that Ike was heading for Galveston, I got chills up my
spine, recalling how terrible that storm was at the turn of the next to
last century. Oh what was that book? It's been so long since I read
it, I had to Google it. _Isaac's Storm_ is an amazing true narrative
that I highly recommend if you haven't read it. I think over 6000
people were killed in that storm surge and aftermath. It also has some
fascinating history of the development of the national weather service
we now know as NOAA and how politics played a role in the fate of
Galveston even then.

Isabella
--
"I will show you fear in a handful of dust"
-T.S. Eliot
Posted to rec.food.preserving

Isabella Woodhouse wrote:
> In article >,
> George Shirley > wrote:
>
>> Isabella Woodhouse wrote:

>>> I, too, have a nice kitchen garden for my herbs. But try as I might,
>>> thyme just doesn't do well here due to the freezing and thawing. We did
>>> not have dill or caraway this year either. But I usually have fresh
>>> parsley until December. This year, I may cover it.

>> It is generally hot here so thyme, the English version, makes it about
>> two years and then I have to start over. The French version seldom makes
>> a whole year.

> The one that seems to do best here is lime thyme. But, as you may
> surmise, it tastes limey instead of thymey. I'll bring in the
> rosemary for the winter and hope for the best.

Rosemary can be a pest here. My old one would get cut back to a stub
each winter and by mid-summer following it would be a four foot by four
foot bush. I probably started a hundred or more by staking limbs to the
ground until they rooted and then cutting them loose and potting them.
Sold a lot, gave away a bunch and still had more than anyone could use.

>>> Yesterday, I picked another 9 pounds of beans, until my back gave out,
>>> and that was only half of what is planted. But I should not complain.
>>> Next year we could have none. I can tell you one thing. Mr. Bill will
>>> definitely NOT be planting so many beans.

>> Last year I put up 40 pints of green beans from one 24 foot row. This
>> year we got enough to have green beans twice for dinner.

> I hear ya. And that's why I feel guilty complaining. That's a good
> amount for 24 feet, George. We just had our soil retested and, while it
> improved a lot over the last few years, it still could use more organic
> matter. Except for the woods, the rest of our property had been
> pasture.

Once Ike blows through I will stop by the extension office and pick up a
couple of sample boxes/bags to send off to LSU extension for soil tests.

> We usually plant a green crop for the winter but, too often, the deer
> have eaten it before Mr. Bill could plow it under. Hopefully, the
> electric deer wire will continue to keep them mostly out. I did find
> some nipped-off beans the other day and can't imagine how they got in.
> OTOH, I did not see a single footprint so maybe it was something else.
> Maybe it was Laser-Cat... but I don't think cats eat vegetables. We
> have both seen a cat that looks to be about 30-40 pounds with a very
> long tail. This cat does not seem like a domestic feline. DH thinks
> he's seen it at night, when out checking the fence-line for fallen
> branches, hence the "Laser-Cat" tag.

Maybe a young bobcat except they have short tails. May just be an
extraordinarily large domestic cat. I had one when I was a kid that was
huge, ol' Tom weighed in at 22 lbs and he wasn't fat.

>>> But today I took a break from all the bean freezing (and gnashing of
>>> totally bored teeth) and made 4.5 pints of raspberry-blueberry jam.

>> Isabella, you're obviously not dressing right nor playing the correct
>> music for the chore. Try a nice Donna Reed dress, some pearls, high
>> heels, and some very good music of your choice. Works for Barb, works
>> for me. <VBG>

> Like these perhaps?
> <http://good-times.webshots.com/album/566800936xbBELs>

Looks like the dresses DW made and wore in the fifties and sixties.

>>> [...] ...Yum! My cupboard runneth over.

>> Lawdy, you done put up more stuff in one year than I do in three or
>> four. Keep it up and we'll all have to move in with you.

> Yeah, you'll all have to move in with me and we can start the first
> preserving commune and call ourselves.... what? I'm finally starting to
> slow down a little. I've been making up for lost time and having so
> much fun after having been so horribly ill for a few years. It's
> wonderful to be able to function again and do normal things.
>
> (Public Service OT Sidebar: The average time it takes for someone with
> celiac syndrome in the US to get diagnosed is ELEVEN years. Untreated,
> the condition is ultimately fatal but the treatment is simple--- no more
> wheat, barley or rye. Some people die w/o ever having been diagnosed.
> For some reason, US physicians thought it was a rare condition but it
> isn't. Celiac, gluten intolerance and gluten allergy affect at least 3
> in 100 people, maybe more. Anyone who has a lot of ongoing digestive
> problems, especially in addition to other auto-immune conditions (ie-
> diabetes, MS, arthritis, thyroid disease, lupus, etc) should at least
> get screened with a simple blood test that detects antibodies to gluten
> in your blood. People with undiagnosed, untreated celiac have an
> extraordinarily high rate of fatal lymphoma.)
>
>> Note: Ike's winds are starting to build up here.

> When I heard that Ike was heading for Galveston, I got chills up my
> spine, recalling how terrible that storm was at the turn of the next to
> last century. Oh what was that book? It's been so long since I read
> it, I had to Google it. _Isaac's Storm_ is an amazing true narrative
> that I highly recommend if you haven't read it. I think over 6000
> people were killed in that storm surge and aftermath. It also has some
> fascinating history of the development of the national weather service
> we now know as NOAA and how politics played a role in the fate of
> Galveston even then.

Historians are now saying that it was closer to 8K to 12K killed in that
one. Hurricane Audrey killed between 500 and 750 people here in 1957. I
came home from Navy boot camp just in time to get sent out on a
helicopter to pick up bodies in the marshes and swamps. Not a nice thing
for a 17-year old person to do for the first time.

> Isabella

Ike looks to be putting more surge water ashore and less wind than some
hurricanes we've experienced. I don't think our home is any danger as we
are at the highest point of land in our city, 19 feet above sea level.
Doesn't seem like a high point but we're 52 miles inland from the Gulf
and about ten miles from the Calcasieu River but do have a few bayous
and some drainage canals that can back up.

Posted to rec.food.preserving

In article >,
George Shirley > wrote:

> Isabella Woodhouse wrote:
> > In article >,

[...]
> > The one that seems to do best here is lime thyme. But, as you may
> > surmise, it tastes limey instead of thymey. I'll bring in the
> > rosemary for the winter and hope for the best.

> Rosemary can be a pest here. My old one would get cut back to a stub
> each winter and by mid-summer following it would be a four foot by four
> foot bush. I probably started a hundred or more by staking limbs to the
> ground until they rooted and then cutting them loose and potting them.
> Sold a lot, gave away a bunch and still had more than anyone could use.

Wow! Where I live, they charge around $3 for a few little sprigs of
Rosemary at the grocery. You could make a fortune!

> >> Last year I put up 40 pints of green beans from one 24 foot row. This
> >> year we got enough to have green beans twice for dinner.

[...]
> > ...Maybe it was Laser-Cat... but I don't think cats eat vegetables. We
> > have both seen a cat that looks to be about 30-40 pounds with a very
> > long tail. This cat does not seem like a domestic feline. DH thinks
> > he's seen it at night, when out checking the fence-line for fallen
> > branches, hence the "Laser-Cat" tag.

> Maybe a young bobcat except they have short tails. May just be an
> extraordinarily large domestic cat. I had one when I was a kid that was
> huge, ol' Tom weighed in at 22 lbs and he wasn't fat.

Yep. That's why I'm mystified. I looked up the Missouri wild creatures
and did not find any cat with a long tail like that. One of life's
mysteries. lol

> >> Isabella, you're obviously not dressing right nor playing the correct
> >> music for the chore. Try a nice Donna Reed dress, some pearls, high
> >> heels, and some very good music of your choice. Works for Barb, works
> >> for me. <VBG>

> > Like these perhaps?
> > <http://good-times.webshots.com/album/566800936xbBELs>

> Looks like the dresses DW made and wore in the fifties and sixties.

They are from the 50s. The one is a new pattern... a reprint of an old
one. And let's not forget the fabulous aprons from the 50s.
--
"I will show you fear in a handful of dust"
-T.S. Eliot
Posted to rec.food.preserving

In article >,
Brian Mailman > wrote:

> With all due respect...it kinda sounds like catsup/ketchup jam.
>
> Then again, there are recipes for Tomato Soup Cake that turn out quite well.
>
> B/

I just posted some pictures and an assessment on my site (link in sig
line).
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.mac.com/barbschaller, and here's the link to my appearance
on "A Prairie Home Companion," <http://prairiehome.publicradio.org/
programs/2008/08/30/>
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On Sep 14, 7:35 pm, Melba's Jammin' >
wrote:
> In article >,
> Brian Mailman > wrote:
>
> > With all due respect...it kinda sounds like catsup/ketchup jam.

> > Then again, there are recipes for Tomato Soup Cake that turn out quite well.

> > B/

I have a bread machine, and somewhere had a recipe for "pizza bread"
that used tomato sauce. Couldn't decide if the taste or appearance
was the worst. Then there was the PB&J bread recipe. Oh wait, this
isn't the baking group.

Posted to rec.food.preserving

On Sep 11, 11:30*pm, Brian Mailman > wrote:
> wrote:
> > Lower Slobbovia came from Al Capp's great L'il Abner comic strip.
> > What you describe as a popover, we always knew as Yorkshire Pudding.

> Similar, but not quite. *Popovers/Yorkshire Pudding both share a certain
> set of ingredients as well as a kind of fluffiness.
>
> Popovers differ in that they are thin shells that have "popped over" the
> molds they're made in.
>
> http://images.google.com/images?hl=e...earch+Images&g...

This is the type of popover I was referring to! It's not a canning
recipe, but I'll share my grandma's recipe anyway:

Popovers

Preheat oven to 400.

2 eggs
1 c milk
1 c flour
~ 2 T butter, bacon grease, or oil
1/4 - 1/2 t salt (less if you use bacon grease)

1. Warm eggs and milk to slightly warmer than room temperature.
(Grandma said this makes them pop better.)

2. When you're ready to start mixing the batter, add a little (~ 1/2
t) butter, bacon grease, or oil to the bottom of each well and preheat
tins in oven. A popover pan is good, or use an oversized muffin tin
(this recipe makes 4-6 popovers).

2. Mix prewarmed milk and eggs in a bowl. Add flour, 1 T oil or
melted butter, and salt and whisk until smooth.

4. Pour batter into hot muffin tins; fill about 2/3 full. Bake 15-20
minutes at 400.

5. Turn temperature down to 300 and bake 20-30 minutes (to dry). Serve
immediately with butter, jam, honey, maple syrup, or whatever else you
like.

Makes 4-6 popovers, depending on size.