Posted to rec.food.preserving
ljp ljp is offline

Default ascorbic acid - Fruit Fresh

When drying apples I'm supposed to pre-treat with ascorbic acid or
lemon juice. I'm having trouble finding either. I did find Fruit
Fresh (a gold by-product) that contains ascorbic acid. However, it
contains dextrose and other %%$#. I thought I saw a comment that it
wasn't a good substitute for the ascorbic acid.

I want to start drying before winter (possibly next week here) so I
will use the Fruit Fresh.

I expect the lemon juice shortage is temporary, but I would like to
know where folks usually find ascorbic acid.
Posted to rec.food.preserving

ljp wrote:
> When drying apples I'm supposed to pre-treat with ascorbic acid or
> lemon juice. I'm having trouble finding either. I did find Fruit
> Fresh (a gold by-product) that contains ascorbic acid. However, it
> contains dextrose and other %%$#. I thought I saw a comment that it
> wasn't a good substitute for the ascorbic acid.
>
> I want to start drying before winter (possibly next week here) so I
> will use the Fruit Fresh.
>
> I expect the lemon juice shortage is temporary, but I would like to
> know where folks usually find ascorbic acid.

At the drugstore. Just ask for it, it is Vitamin C. If they only have
tablets, just crush them.
Ellen
Posted to rec.food.preserving

When I dry apples I don't pre-treat with anything. I fill the trays as
I go and put them in the dehydrater. Mostly my apples are quite light
colored.
Connie TC
ljp wrote:
> When drying apples I'm supposed to pre-treat with ascorbic acid or
> lemon juice. I'm having trouble finding either. I did find Fruit
> Fresh (a gold by-product) that contains ascorbic acid. However, it
> contains dextrose and other %%$#. I thought I saw a comment that it
> wasn't a good substitute for the ascorbic acid.
>
> I want to start drying before winter (possibly next week here) so I
> will use the Fruit Fresh.
>
> I expect the lemon juice shortage is temporary, but I would like to
> know where folks usually find ascorbic acid.

Posted to rec.food.preserving

ljp wrote:
> When drying apples I'm supposed to pre-treat with ascorbic acid or
> lemon juice. I'm having trouble finding either. I did find Fruit
> Fresh (a gold by-product) that contains ascorbic acid. However, it
> contains dextrose and other %%$#. I thought I saw a comment that it
> wasn't a good substitute for the ascorbic acid.

I use Fruit Fresh for pre-treating white fruit that is to be dehydrated
or canned with no problems.

> I want to start drying before winter (possibly next week here) so I
> will use the Fruit Fresh.
>
> I expect the lemon juice shortage is temporary, but I would like to
> know where folks usually find ascorbic acid.

Ascorbic acid is Vitamin C, go to the drug store or market and get some
1000 milligram vitamin C tablets and grind them up and mix with water.
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On Mon, 18 Aug 2008 07:33:33 -0700 (PDT), ljp
> wrote:

>When drying apples I'm supposed to pre-treat with ascorbic acid or
>lemon juice. I'm having trouble finding either. I did find Fruit
>Fresh (a gold by-product) that contains ascorbic acid. However, it
>contains dextrose and other %%$#. I thought I saw a comment that it
>wasn't a good substitute for the ascorbic acid.
>
>I want to start drying before winter (possibly next week here) so I
>will use the Fruit Fresh.
>
>I expect the lemon juice shortage is temporary, but I would like to
>know where folks usually find ascorbic acid.

If you can't find lemon juice, try orange juice. I frequently use it
since it is easier to find than lemon juice.

Posted to rec.food.preserving

ljp wrote:
> When drying apples I'm supposed to pre-treat with ascorbic acid or
> lemon juice. I'm having trouble finding either.

Have you looked inside a lemon?

B/
Posted to rec.food.preserving

"Brian Mailman" > wrote in message
m...
> ljp wrote:
>> When drying apples I'm supposed to pre-treat with ascorbic acid or
>> lemon juice. I'm having trouble finding either.

> Have you looked inside a lemon?
>
> B/

Limes can be even acider, and interesting differments in taste. Or
pineapple juice, or grapefruit juice (either sweetened or unsweetened, gag -
no high fructose corn syrup, please!) Think about apple cider vinegar in the
water? Just a think there, I've never done it. Or light wines, better the
ones that make your nose wrinkle - the pH test you know. Apple jack?
bourbon? Tequila? To the devil with prissy white apple chips, lets have
somethin' with some *flavor.*
Down here we get dried fruits sprinkled with chili powder (the mix, check
them *&^% added ingredients, usually salt is the first item), powdered chile
(the real deal - chipotle or green chile anyone?), and/or sugar with various
flavorings.
I had some absoluter wonderful applewoodsmoked chipotle in Sante Fe once
with Christine. That stuff was fab! To diet for, dahling.
I think you may have created a monster.
Edrena

Posted to rec.food.preserving

The Joneses wrote:
> "Brian Mailman" > wrote in message
> m...
>> ljp wrote:
>>> When drying apples I'm supposed to pre-treat with ascorbic acid or
>>> lemon juice. I'm having trouble finding either.

>> Have you looked inside a lemon?
>>
>> B/

> Limes can be even acider, and interesting differments in taste. Or
> pineapple juice, or grapefruit juice (either sweetened or unsweetened, gag -
> no high fructose corn syrup, please!) Think about apple cider vinegar in the
> water? Just a think there, I've never done it. Or light wines, better the
> ones that make your nose wrinkle - the pH test you know. Apple jack?
> bourbon? Tequila? To the devil with prissy white apple chips, lets have
> somethin' with some *flavor.*
> Down here we get dried fruits sprinkled with chili powder (the mix, check
> them *&^% added ingredients, usually salt is the first item), powdered chile
> (the real deal - chipotle or green chile anyone?), and/or sugar with various
> flavorings.
> I had some absoluter wonderful applewoodsmoked chipotle in Sante Fe once
> with Christine. That stuff was fab! To diet for, dahling.
> I think you may have created a monster.
> Edrena

Actually, UofGA says to use bottled lemon juice as it has a standard pH
versus a squeezed lemon that you don't know what the pH is. That was a
test question.
Posted to rec.food.preserving

"Brian Mailman" > wrote in message
m...
> ljp wrote:
>> When drying apples I'm supposed to pre-treat with ascorbic acid or
>> lemon juice. I'm having trouble finding either.

> Have you looked inside a lemon?
>
> B/

doh!

Posted to rec.food.preserving

"George Shirley" > wrote in message
.. .
> The Joneses wrote:
>> "Brian Mailman" > wrote in message
>> m...
>>> Have you looked inside a lemon?
>>>
>>> B/

>> Limes can be even acider, and interesting differments in taste. Or
>> pineapple juice, or grapefruit juice (either sweetened or unsweetened,
>> gag - no high fructose corn syrup, please!) Think about apple cider
>> vinegar in the water? Just a think there, I've never done it. Or light
>> wines, better the ones that make your nose wrinkle - the pH test you
>> know. Apple jack? bourbon? Tequila? To the devil with prissy white apple
>> chips, lets have somethin' with some *flavor.*
>> Down here we get dried fruits sprinkled with chili powder (the mix,
>> check them *&^% added ingredients, usually salt is the first item),
>> powdered chile (the real deal - chipotle or green chile anyone?), and/or
>> sugar with various flavorings.
>> I had some absoluter wonderful applewoodsmoked chipotle in Sante Fe
>> once with Christine. That stuff was fab! To diet for, dahling.
>> I think you may have created a monster.
>> Edrena
>>

> Actually, UofGA says to use bottled lemon juice as it has a standard pH
> versus a squeezed lemon that you don't know what the pH is. That was a
> test question.

but either or would be OK for stopping something from browning, right? So I
should only be concerned when using it to balance the ph, right? That
means use bottle lemon juice when lemon juice is called for in a recipe, but
a fresh squeezed lemon or lime would do when stopping something from turning
brown...

notice, both were questions....?

kathi

Posted to rec.food.preserving

Kathi Jones wrote:
> "George Shirley" > wrote in message
> .. .
>> The Joneses wrote:
>>> "Brian Mailman" > wrote in message
>>> m...

>>> Limes can be even acider, and interesting differments in taste. Or
>>> pineapple juice, or grapefruit juice (either sweetened or unsweetened,
>>> gag - no high fructose corn syrup, please!) Think about apple cider
>>> vinegar in the water? Just a think there, I've never done it. Or light
>>> wines, better the ones that make your nose wrinkle - the pH test you
>>> know. Apple jack? bourbon? Tequila? To the devil with prissy white apple
>>> chips, lets have somethin' with some *flavor.*
>>> Down here we get dried fruits sprinkled with chili powder (the mix,
>>> check them *&^% added ingredients, usually salt is the first item),
>>> powdered chile (the real deal - chipotle or green chile anyone?), and/or
>>> sugar with various flavorings.
>>> I had some absoluter wonderful applewoodsmoked chipotle in Sante Fe
>>> once with Christine. That stuff was fab! To diet for, dahling.
>>> I think you may have created a monster.
>>> Edrena
>>>

>> Actually, UofGA says to use bottled lemon juice as it has a standard pH
>> versus a squeezed lemon that you don't know what the pH is. That was a
>> test question.

> but either or would be OK for stopping something from browning, right? So I
> should only be concerned when using it to balance the ph, right? That
> means use bottle lemon juice when lemon juice is called for in a recipe, but
> a fresh squeezed lemon or lime would do when stopping something from turning
> brown...
>
> notice, both were questions....?
>
> kathi

Yes and yes.
Posted to rec.food.preserving
ljp ljp is offline

On Aug 18, 5:54 pm, George Shirley > wrote:
> Kathi Jones wrote:
> > "George Shirley" > wrote in message
> . ..

The Fruit Fresh didn't do much to keep the apple pieces from
browning. Cored, immersed in slightly stronger than recommended
solution for 10 minutes +, drained, put on dehydrator trays, brown by
the time the next batch was ready.

I found some absorbic acid at a wine making supply shop, only 20 gm
packets for an exorbitant price.

I think I'll try the next batch untreated.

I broke down and bought a "large" jelly bag (if this is large the
small must be for individual grapes) snap lids, and rubber rings. The
rubber rings are just a little cheaper than the lids. I'll use the
rubber rings as back up. I've never had a problem with them.
However, I always use tested rings

Thanks for the replies.

P.S. I did by fresh lemons, but they are for lemonade.
Posted to rec.food.preserving

In article >,
George Shirley > wrote:

> ljp wrote:
> > When drying apples I'm supposed to pre-treat with ascorbic acid or
> > lemon juice. I'm having trouble finding either. I did find Fruit
> > Fresh (a gold by-product) that contains ascorbic acid. However, it
> > contains dextrose and other %%$#. I thought I saw a comment that it
> > wasn't a good substitute for the ascorbic acid.

> I use Fruit Fresh for pre-treating white fruit that is to be dehydrated
> or canned with no problems.
> >
> > I want to start drying before winter (possibly next week here) so I
> > will use the Fruit Fresh.
> >
> > I expect the lemon juice shortage is temporary, but I would like to
> > know where folks usually find ascorbic acid.

> Ascorbic acid is Vitamin C, go to the drug store or market and get some
> 1000 milligram vitamin C tablets and grind them up and mix with water.

Vitamin C (and other) supplements almost always have non-active
ingredients like stearic acid, magnesium stearate, cellulose, etc. (I'm
used to reading ingredients since I have to avoid all forms of gluten)
I don't know how these other ingredients would figure in the preserving
mix.

C supplements also often have other active ingredients and there are a
multitude of those. In addition, not all vitamin C is ascorbic acid
based. There's beta-carotene, vitamin C complex, rose hips, and a bevy
of different forms.

It might be worthwhile to find out if ascorbic acid in gelatin capsules
might be more pure. It would certainly be easier to just open the
capsule than grinding up a tablet.

Isabella
--
"I will show you fear in a handful of dust"
-T.S. Eliot
Posted to rec.food.preserving

In article >,
George Shirley > wrote:

> Actually, UofGA says to use bottled lemon juice as it has a standard pH
> versus a squeezed lemon that you don't know what the pH is. That was a
> test question.

And I was very surprised to see the Sure€Jell instruction leaflet
specify fresh-squeezed lemon juice. I think they used to specify
bottled. I wonder why they changed the rec.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.mac.com/barbschaller, blahblahblog is back and
Posted to rec.food.preserving

In article >,
"Kathi Jones" > wrote:

> "George Shirley" > wrote in message

> > Actually, UofGA says to use bottled lemon juice as it has a standard pH
> > versus a squeezed lemon that you don't know what the pH is. That was a
> > test question.

> but either or would be OK for stopping something from browning, right?

Sure. It doesn't require a lot of acid, IME. When I was peeling
peaches, I used a glug of white vinegar in the water. Did not affect
flavor.

--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.mac.com/barbschaller, blahblahblog is back and
most recently updated last night, 8-17-2008. Fair entries are DONE!

Posted to rec.food.preserving

"The Cook" > wrote in message

> If you can't find lemon juice, try orange juice. I frequently use it
> since it is easier to find than lemon juice.

Our Wal*Mart stores sell Lemon Juice here... just ask anyone working in the
grocery section.

Posted to rec.food.preserving

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> In article >,
> George Shirley > wrote:
>
>> Actually, UofGA says to use bottled lemon juice as it has a standard pH
>> versus a squeezed lemon that you don't know what the pH is. That was a
>> test question.

> And I was very surprised to see the Sure€Jell instruction leaflet
> specify fresh-squeezed lemon juice. I think they used to specify
> bottled. I wonder why they changed the rec.

I am surprised too, even if I don't use Sure-Jell. But some of the
pectin inserts still tout inverting the jar to seal it versus BWB IIRC.
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On Mon, 18 Aug 2008 14:39:54 GMT, ellen wickberg >
wrote:

>ljp wrote:
>> When drying apples I'm supposed to pre-treat with ascorbic acid or
>> lemon juice. I'm having trouble finding either. I did find Fruit
>> Fresh (a gold by-product) that contains ascorbic acid. However, it
>> contains dextrose and other %%$#. I thought I saw a comment that it
>> wasn't a good substitute for the ascorbic acid.
>>
>> I want to start drying before winter (possibly next week here) so I
>> will use the Fruit Fresh.
>>
>> I expect the lemon juice shortage is temporary, but I would like to
>> know where folks usually find ascorbic acid.

>At the drugstore. Just ask for it, it is Vitamin C. If they only have
>tablets, just crush them.
>Ellen

Like several other ingredients used in home preserving, ascorbic acid
is also available at many wine/beer making supply stores and online.

Ross.
Posted to rec.food.preserving

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> In article >,
> George Shirley > wrote:
>
>> Actually, UofGA says to use bottled lemon juice as it has a standard pH
>> versus a squeezed lemon that you don't know what the pH is. That was a
>> test question.

Huh. Well, as the Baba Rum Raisin (me, in my more profound moments)
sez, "Live and learn....and then ya learn some more."

B/
Posted to rec.food.preserving

Brian Mailman wrote:
> Melba's Jammin' wrote:
>> In article >,
>> George Shirley > wrote:
>>
>>> Actually, UofGA says to use bottled lemon juice as it has a standard
>>> pH versus a squeezed lemon that you don't know what the pH is. That
>>> was a test question.

> Huh. Well, as the Baba Rum Raisin (me, in my more profound moments)
> sez, "Live and learn....and then ya learn some more."
>
> B/

Surprised me too Brian. Been hunting my pH kit for two days now so I can
test the home grown lemon juice I generally use. Probably have to buy
another since I can't find the old one.

Posted to rec.food.preserving

Connie TenClay wrote:
> When I dry apples I don't pre-treat with anything. I fill the trays as
> I go and put them in the dehydrater. Mostly my apples are quite light
> colored.
> Connie TC
> ljp wrote:
>> When drying apples I'm supposed to pre-treat with ascorbic acid or
>> lemon juice. I'm having trouble finding either. I did find Fruit
>> Fresh (a gold by-product) that contains ascorbic acid. However, it
>> contains dextrose and other %%$#. I thought I saw a comment that it
>> wasn't a good substitute for the ascorbic acid.
>>
>> I want to start drying before winter (possibly next week here) so I
>> will use the Fruit Fresh.
>>
>> I expect the lemon juice shortage is temporary, but I would like to
>> know where folks usually find ascorbic acid.

When I dry apples, I pre-treat them with a Campden tablet (from a
winemaking supply store) solution. They turn out ghostly white, like
sulfured apple slices. It also works for keeping fresh apple slices
from turning brown in the refrigerator.

Aldi sells quarts of bottled reconstituted lemon juice for $1. I use it
in my G&T's. With enough G, you don't really need *good* lemon juice.

Bob
Posted to rec.food.preserving

George Shirley wrote:
> The Joneses wrote:
>> "Brian Mailman" > wrote in message
>> m...
>>> Have you looked inside a lemon?
>>>
>>> B/

>> Limes can be even acider, and interesting differments in taste. Or
>> pineapple juice, or grapefruit juice (either sweetened or unsweetened,
>> gag - no high fructose corn syrup, please!) Think about apple cider
>> vinegar in the water? Just a think there, I've never done it. Or light
>> wines, better the ones that make your nose wrinkle - the pH test you
>> know. Apple jack? bourbon? Tequila? To the devil with prissy white
>> apple chips, lets have somethin' with some *flavor.*
>> Down here we get dried fruits sprinkled with chili powder (the mix,
>> check them *&^% added ingredients, usually salt is the first item),
>> powdered chile (the real deal - chipotle or green chile anyone?),
>> and/or sugar with various flavorings.
>> I had some absoluter wonderful applewoodsmoked chipotle in Sante Fe
>> once with Christine. That stuff was fab! To diet for, dahling.
>> I think you may have created a monster.
>> Edrena
>>

> Actually, UofGA says to use bottled lemon juice as it has a standard pH
> versus a squeezed lemon that you don't know what the pH is. That was a
> test question.

You're absolutely correct, but that's when canning (acidifying tomatoes,
etc), not for pre-treating fruit for dehydrating.

Bob
Posted to rec.food.preserving

zxcvbob wrote:
> When I dry apples, I pre-treat them with a Campden tablet (from a
> winemaking supply store) solution. They turn out ghostly white, like
> sulfured apple slices. It also works for keeping fresh apple slices
> from turning brown in the refrigerator.

Campden tablets are sodium/potassium metabisulphite. They have been
linked to all sorts of bad things, and also have been used to prevent
wine from souring during fermentation, dried fuit from changing color
and so on.

The reason why the apple slices look like they are sulfured is that they are.
You're doing it in a solution instead of a gas.

If you are sensitive to sulphites, it's a bad thing to do, and if you are not,
it's perfectly fine. IMHO you should warn people before you give than any
though, especialy people with asthema or are pregnant.

Geoff.
Posted to rec.food.preserving

Geoffrey S. Mendelson wrote:
> zxcvbob wrote:
>> When I dry apples, I pre-treat them with a Campden tablet (from a
>> winemaking supply store) solution. They turn out ghostly white, like
>> sulfured apple slices. It also works for keeping fresh apple slices
>> from turning brown in the refrigerator.

> Campden tablets are sodium/potassium metabisulphite. They have been
> linked to all sorts of bad things, and also have been used to prevent
> wine from souring during fermentation, dried fuit from changing color
> and so on.
>
> The reason why the apple slices look like they are sulfured is that they are.
> You're doing it in a solution instead of a gas.
>
> If you are sensitive to sulphites, it's a bad thing to do, and if you are not,
> it's perfectly fine. IMHO you should warn people before you give than any
> though, especialy people with asthema or are pregnant.
>
> Geoff.

The fresh apples treated with Campden are just for my family. With the
dried apples, i tell people they are sulfured and make sure they don't
have asthma or think they are allergic to sulfites.

Bob
Posted to rec.food.preserving

George Shirley wrote:
> Brian Mailman wrote:
>> Melba's Jammin' wrote:

>> Huh. Well, as the Baba Rum Raisin (me, in my more profound moments)
>> sez, "Live and learn....and then ya learn some more."

> Surprised me too Brian. Been hunting my pH kit for two days now so I can
> test the home grown lemon juice I generally use. Probably have to buy
> another since I can't find the old one.

day-yam. And you probably only got it 20 years ago, too. <G>.

B/

Posted to rec.food.preserving

Brian Mailman wrote:
> George Shirley wrote:
>> Brian Mailman wrote:

>>> Huh. Well, as the Baba Rum Raisin (me, in my more profound moments)
>>> sez, "Live and learn....and then ya learn some more."

>> Surprised me too Brian. Been hunting my pH kit for two days now so I
>> can test the home grown lemon juice I generally use. Probably have to
>> buy another since I can't find the old one.

> day-yam. And you probably only got it 20 years ago, too. <G>.
>
> B/

Closer to 10 years ago. <VBG>
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On Mon, 18 Aug 2008 12:09:32 -0600, "The Joneses"
> wrote:

>"Brian Mailman" > wrote in message
om...
>> ljp wrote:
>>> When drying apples I'm supposed to pre-treat with ascorbic acid or
>>> lemon juice. I'm having trouble finding either.

>> Have you looked inside a lemon?
>>
>> B/

> Limes can be even acider, and interesting differments in taste. Or
>pineapple juice, or grapefruit juice (either sweetened or unsweetened, gag -
>no high fructose corn syrup, please!) Think about apple cider vinegar in the
>water? Just a think there, I've never done it. Or light wines, better the
>ones that make your nose wrinkle - the pH test you know. Apple jack?
>bourbon? Tequila? To the devil with prissy white apple chips, lets have
>somethin' with some *flavor.*
> Down here we get dried fruits sprinkled with chili powder (the mix, check
>them *&^% added ingredients, usually salt is the first item), powdered chile
>(the real deal - chipotle or green chile anyone?), and/or sugar with various
>flavorings.
> I had some absoluter wonderful applewoodsmoked chipotle in Sante Fe once
>with Christine. That stuff was fab! To diet for, dahling.
> I think you may have created a monster.
>Edrena

Tequila flavored dehydrated fruit... with chipolte on it. Yum.

Y'all are sick (in a good way)
Posted to rec.food.preserving

George Shirley wrote:
> Brian Mailman wrote:
>> George Shirley wrote:

>>> Surprised me too Brian. Been hunting my pH kit for two days now so I
>>> can test the home grown lemon juice I generally use. Probably have to
>>> buy another since I can't find the old one.

>> day-yam. And you probably only got it 20 years ago, too. <G>.

> Closer to 10 years ago. <VBG>

Knew it. Same kinda thing happens around here.

B/
Posted to rec.food.preserving

> wrote in message
> On Mon, 18 Aug 2008 12:09:32 -0600, "The Joneses"
> > wrote:
>

>>"Brian Mailman" > wrote in message
>>news:R4CdnfKB8vPmMDTVnZ2dnUVZ_rbinZ2d@supernews. com...
>>>
>>> Have you looked inside a lemon?
>>>
>>> B/

>> Limes can be even acider, and interesting differments in taste. Or
>>pineapple juice, or grapefruit juice (either sweetened or unsweetened,
>>gag -
>>no high fructose corn syrup, please!) Think about apple cider vinegar in
>>the
>>water? Just a think there, I've never done it. Or light wines, better the
>>ones that make your nose wrinkle - the pH test you know. Apple jack?
>>bourbon? Tequila? To the devil with prissy white apple chips, lets have
>>somethin' with some *flavor.*
>> Down here we get dried fruits sprinkled with chili powder (the mix,
>> check
>>them *&^% added ingredients, usually salt is the first item), powdered
>>chile
>>(the real deal - chipotle or green chile anyone?), and/or sugar with
>>various
>>flavorings.
>> I had some absoluter wonderful applewoodsmoked chipotle in Sante Fe once
>>with Christine. That stuff was fab! To diet for, dahling.
>> I think you may have created a monster.
>>Edrena
>>

> Tequila flavored dehydrated fruit... with chipolte on it. Yum.
> Y'all are sick (in a good way)

Talk about sick - y'all forgot the lime and salt, you commie you.
Love,
Edrena

Posted to rec.food.preserving

On Aug 18, 9:33*am, ljp > wrote:
> When drying apples I'm supposed to pre-treat with ascorbic acid or
> lemon juice. *I'm having trouble finding either. *I did find Fruit
> Fresh (a gold by-product) that contains ascorbic acid. *However, it
> contains dextrose and other %%$#. *I thought *I saw a comment that it
> wasn't a good substitute for the ascorbic acid.
>
> I want to start drying before winter (possibly next week here) so I
> will use the Fruit Fresh.
>
> I expect the lemon juice shortage is temporary, but I would like to
> know where folks usually find ascorbic acid.

You really ought to check out www.freshsliced.com Fresh Sliced is a
great substitute for lemon juice and work also as a vinegar
substitute. Easier to use than Fruit Fresh.

Posted to rec.food.preserving

On Aug 18, 9:33*am, ljp > wrote:
> When drying apples I'm supposed to pre-treat with ascorbic acid or
> lemon juice. *I'm having trouble finding either. *I did find Fruit
> Fresh (a gold by-product) that contains ascorbic acid. *However, it
> contains dextrose and other %%$#. *I thought *I saw a comment that it
> wasn't a good substitute for the ascorbic acid.
>
> I want to start drying before winter (possibly next week here) so I
> will use the Fruit Fresh.
>
> I expect the lemon juice shortage is temporary, but I would like to
> know where folks usually find ascorbic acid.

Check out http://www.phreshtechnologies.com/freshsliced.html
This is a lemon juice substitute.
Member

Buy a bottle of Vitamin C tablets and powder or rinse the product with water that has had a vitamin C tabled dissolved in it.
Best luck
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljp View Post