ascorbic acid - Fruit Fresh

Old 22-08-2008, 05:37 PM posted to rec.food.preserving

Default ascorbic acid - Fruit Fresh

On Aug 18, 9:33*am, ljp wrote:
When drying apples I'm supposed to pre-treat with ascorbic acid or
lemon juice. *I'm having trouble finding either. *I did find Fruit
Fresh (a gold by-product) that contains ascorbic acid. *However, it
contains dextrose and other %%$#. *I thought *I saw a comment that it
wasn't a good substitute for the ascorbic acid.

I want to start drying before winter (possibly next week here) so I
will use the Fruit Fresh.

I expect the lemon juice shortage is temporary, but I would like to
know where folks usually find ascorbic acid.

Check out http://www.phreshtechnologies.com/freshsliced.html
This is a lemon juice substitute.
Old 24-02-2013, 06:59 PM
Member

Buy a bottle of Vitamin C tablets and powder or rinse the product with water that has had a vitamin C tabled dissolved in it.
Best luck
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljp View Post