grapes and the Victorio Strainer

Old 08-10-2007, 10:30 PM posted to rec.food.preserving

Default grapes and the Victorio Strainer

My Dad asked me about 2 weeks ago if I wanted any of his grapes. He's got a
couple of vines that did really well this year, but no time to do anything
with them. I said sure, pick them and throw them in the freezer - I'll
juice them and make jelly out of them when I get a chance. I don't know
what kind of grapes they are but he eats them out-of-hand, so they mush be
sweet.....

So he battled the birds and the squirrels and froze 3 grocery bags full.
As I type this, one bag has been stemmed, and I have them in a pot on the
stove thawing. I want the purple from the skins (flesh is bright green) for
my jelly, so I figured I should cook them a bit to get it.

As I've never used the Victorio Strainer before, I figured I'd warm the
grapes to bursting, then run them through the strainer. I have no idea what
to expect. The strainer that I bought from Ross came with a never used
grape spiral, a never used berry screen, a pumpkin screen, and what I assume
to be a tomato screen and spiral. I'm gonna give the grape spiral spin and
see what happens. Worse comes to worst, I run the results through a jelly
bag and get juice that way (which is how I would have done it before,
anyway).

And then I'll freeze the juice - cuz I have no time for jelly now either....

Kathi