Posted to rec.food.preserving

Default pumpkins!

T'is almost the season. Any suggested recipes for preserving pumpkin
puree? It will be a first for me.

Posted to rec.food.preserving

"Peter" > wrote in message
> T'is almost the season. Any suggested recipes for preserving pumpkin
> puree? It will be a first for me.

freeze it in recipe sized portions. That's what I do

Kathi

Posted to rec.food.preserving

"Kathi Jones" > wrote in message

> "Peter" > wrote in message
>> T'is almost the season. Any suggested recipes for preserving pumpkin
>> puree? It will be a first for me.
>>

> freeze it in recipe sized portions. That's what I do
>
> Kathi

speaking of which...I roasted 2 pie pumpkins today, then pureed with a hand
blender, and froze in 1.5 cup portions in freezer bags. Perfect for pies
next month....or whenever....or whatever..........

Kathi

Posted to rec.food.preserving

"Kathi Jones" > wrote in message

> "Kathi Jones" > wrote in message
>>
>> "Peter" > wrote in message
>>> T'is almost the season. Any suggested recipes for preserving pumpkin
>>> puree? It will be a first for me.
>>>

>> freeze it in recipe sized portions. That's what I do
>>
>> Kathi
>>

> speaking of which...I roasted 2 pie pumpkins today, then pureed with a
> hand blender, and froze in 1.5 cup portions in freezer bags. Perfect for
> pies next month....or whenever....or whatever..........
>
> Kathi

bought a pair of smaller "head size" pumpkins the other day just to test
out. I roasted them and then scooped out the goods. They seemed very weak
in taste. Keep in mind my prior experience with pumpkin eating is store
bought canned puree. They had less flavour than the butternut squash I
recently roasted and turned into soup.

Is this normal? Is this a ripeness issue? I did salt it to try and bring
out the taste but it was very bland.

Posted to rec.food.preserving

Peter wrote:
> "Kathi Jones" > wrote in message
>>
>> "Kathi Jones" > wrote in message
>>>
>>> "Peter" > wrote in message
>>>>

>>> freeze it in recipe sized portions. That's what I do
>>>
>>> Kathi
>>>

>> speaking of which...I roasted 2 pie pumpkins today, then pureed with a
>> hand blender, and froze in 1.5 cup portions in freezer bags. Perfect for
>> pies next month....or whenever....or whatever..........

> bought a pair of smaller "head size" pumpkins the other day just to test
> out. I roasted them and then scooped out the goods. They seemed very weak
> in taste.

I believe you need a specific "pie pumpkin" variety.

B/

Posted to rec.food.preserving

Peter wrote:

> bought a pair of smaller "head size" pumpkins the other day just to test
> out. I roasted them and then scooped out the goods. They seemed very weak
> in taste. Keep in mind my prior experience with pumpkin eating is store
> bought canned puree. They had less flavour than the butternut squash I
> recently roasted and turned into soup.
>
> Is this normal? Is this a ripeness issue? I did salt it to try and bring
> out the taste but it was very bland.

It was probably the fault of the variety. Pumpkins labeled "Sugar" or
"Pie" are usually good varieties for cooking. FWIW when I grew up in
New England, squash pie was as popular as pumpkin for the holidays, very
similar in taste, but I always thought it had more flavor.

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.preserving

At one time I raised "pie" pumpkins, did all the extra stuff they said and
still didn't have mych flavor. It is all the stuff you add. The squash
have a stronger flavor.

pumpkins Tara General Cooking 0 18-10-2009 09:19 PM
Roasting pumpkins koko General Cooking 20 15-10-2008 05:46 AM
White pumpkins? Ken[_9_] General Cooking 13 28-09-2008 07:31 PM