Pickled Cauliflower

Old 11-09-2007, 03:58 AM posted to rec.food.preserving

Default Pickled Cauliflower

I bought a medium size cauliflower at the farmers market on Saturday
morning and pickled it this afternoon. I broke and cut it into florets,
dumped it into boiling water for about 2 minutes, then into cold water
to cool it some.

The brine I used was leftover from my B&B pickles yesterday (the last of
cukes and a good thing it is, too). I added stuff to it -- more cider
vinegar, some red pepper flakes, some chopped red bell pepper for color.
Also added some sliced onions and shallots. Brought the brine/syrup to
a boil and added the cauliflower to heat before packing. Tastes pretty
good. Sweetish and vinegary both. I made four half pint jars from the
one head. The red bell was a nice addition for color.

There you have it for your reading pleasure. "-)
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
For your listening pleasu http://www.am1500.com/pcast/80509.mp3 --
Old 11-09-2007, 04:15 AM posted to rec.food.preserving

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
I bought a medium size cauliflower at the farmers market on Saturday
morning and pickled it this afternoon. I broke and cut it into florets,
dumped it into boiling water for about 2 minutes, then into cold water
to cool it some.

The brine I used was leftover from my B&B pickles yesterday (the last of
cukes and a good thing it is, too). I added stuff to it -- more cider
vinegar, some red pepper flakes, some chopped red bell pepper for color.
Also added some sliced onions and shallots. Brought the brine/syrup to
a boil and added the cauliflower to heat before packing. Tastes pretty
good. Sweetish and vinegary both. I made four half pint jars from the
one head. The red bell was a nice addition for color.

There you have it for your reading pleasure. "-)

Yesterday I cut up a small head of cauliflower and packed it in a quart
canning jar with brine from a big jar of Vlasic jalapeno slices. I
wasn't sure whether to pack it hot or cold, so I just poured the cold
brine over the cold cauliflower and I'll have to wait longer for them to
pickle this way. (the jar is in the fridge)

Yours are certainly better, but these were awfully easy -- except for
the waiting part.

I may buy another head and try it your way.

Bob
Old 11-09-2007, 06:18 AM posted to rec.food.preserving

In article ,
zxcvbob wrote:

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
[...]

I don't know, Bob -- yours sounds pretty good. I think I'd've brought
the brine to boil and then poured it over the caulliflower.

I cooked my florets briefly because a couple recipes I've seen for
pickled brussels sprouts or cauliflower say to do that. They still had
some tooth when I took them from the water and cooled them some.

I was not precise in the addition of the extra vinegar and the red
pepper flakes and red pepper. I figured sweetish would be okay because
the recipe from the B&Bs that I got from my sister calls for some
cauliflower florets as an optional ingredient -- I've never done them
that way.
Old 11-09-2007, 05:33 PM posted to rec.food.preserving

zxcvbob wrote:

Yesterday I cut up a small head of cauliflower and packed it in a quart
canning jar with brine from a big jar of Vlasic jalapeno slices.

Yar, I always save the brine from commercial pickle jars and use it for
pickling blanched (parcooked) veggies like carrot spears, cauliflower, etc.

B/
Old 12-09-2007, 05:57 AM posted to rec.food.preserving

"Brian Mailman" wrote in message
zxcvbob wrote:

Yesterday I cut up a small head of cauliflower and packed it in a quart
canning jar with brine from a big jar of Vlasic jalapeno slices.

Yar, I always save the brine from commercial pickle jars and use it for
pickling blanched (parcooked) veggies like carrot spears, cauliflower,
etc.

B/

And sugar snap peas or them edible Chinese pea pods thingies. I don't like
pickled radishes, but some do. Jicama might be nice this way. I'll get one
next time I'm at the store and try it.
Who else sneaks leetle drinks of pickle juice?
Edrena, sippin' on the sly.

Old 12-09-2007, 06:47 PM posted to rec.food.preserving

The Joneses wrote:
Who else sneaks leetle drinks of pickle juice?

Well, the salt brine... my g'pa said it was "good for the blood."

B/

Old 12-09-2007, 10:02 PM posted to rec.food.preserving

The Joneses wrote:
Who else sneaks leetle drinks of pickle juice?

Well, the salt brine... my g'pa said it was "good for the blood."

B/

It's terrible for the hypertension, but good for my soul. Oh well, I don't
guzzle it all day long. And the sin is sweeter for the sneak.
Edrena

Old 12-09-2007, 10:08 PM posted to rec.food.preserving

The Joneses wrote:
Who else sneaks leetle drinks of pickle juice?

no, I don't...that's just icky. But I know people who do.

I pour it down the drain gasp!

Kathi

Old 27-09-2007, 01:04 PM posted to rec.food.preserving

Default Pickled Cauliflower - Hey, Bob

In article ,
zxcvbob wrote:

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
[...]

Have you eaten from the first jar? Done the second batch yet? Just
curious.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
Dinner at Yummy! 9-15-2007 Pictures included.
Old 27-09-2007, 05:59 PM posted to rec.food.preserving

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
In article ,
zxcvbob wrote:

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
[...]

I've been nibbling from it, but they are still not quite there yet.
That particular jar of jalapeño juice wasn't very strong.

Bob
Old 27-09-2007, 06:34 PM posted to rec.food.preserving

Must.stop.reading.this.group

After many years of not preserving anything other than my annual batches
of freezer apricot jam, I have been BI (bad influenced) back into the habit.

Yesterday's effort resulted in four pints of pickled cauliflower, using
the BBB recipe with an added jalapeno pepper. I'll agree with Bob--it
needs something, maybe garlic? It's crunchier than I expected, nice
texture. We'll see how it mellows.

This morning I made seven half pints and four 4 oz. jars of...I'm not
sure whether to call it Concord grape jam or jelly. I prepared the
grapes by mashing an simmering, but then put the resulting mash through
a china cap food mill, resulting in a thicker liquid than jelly but w/o
the skins (ugh!) of jam.

Now I have to figure out which neighbors will share the bounty 'cause i
don't have the chutzpah to take it to my auto mechanic like someone I
know.... (Maybe Christmas baskets with homemade bread?)

;-)
gloria p
Old 27-09-2007, 08:01 PM posted to rec.food.preserving

Puester wrote:

[...]

Good for you. I gift stuff to people who offer me pickings on grapes,
scuppernongsmuscadines, fruit, etc. Ensures you get a new supply next
time things are getting ripe. It doesn't hurt to suck up to the USPS
letter carrier either. I found out our carrier's birthday and ensure
there's something in the mailbox for her then plus at Christmas. I don't
get many of those little notes that I have to go to the post office to
pick up a package because our carrier will go around and leave it at the
back door. Every little bit helps.

George