Posted to rec.food.preserving

Default So what do you all think of the new jar lid designs?

I see that Ball/Jarden has redesigned the printing on both the
Kerr and Ball jar lids. In past years the Ball lids used a
blue outline of some fruits, but it looks like the new lid is
just the name "Ball" The older Kerr lid had Kerr surrounded
by a house outline, the new lid design, like the Ball lid,
just has "Kerr" on it.

IMHO it's a step backwards.

Ted

Posted to rec.food.preserving

On Fri, 10 Aug 2007 01:31:22 -0700, "Ted Mittelstaedt"
> wrote:

>I see that Ball/Jarden has redesigned the printing on both the
>Kerr and Ball jar lids. In past years the Ball lids used a
>blue outline of some fruits, but it looks like the new lid is
>just the name "Ball" The older Kerr lid had Kerr surrounded
>by a house outline, the new lid design, like the Ball lid,
>just has "Kerr" on it.
>
>IMHO it's a step backwards.
>
>Ted

It gives you room to write information about what is in the jar and
the date you did it. I didn't pay that much attention. They have
changed the designs many time over the years. The previous Ball
design was vegetables and fruits in a basket with a scroll for
information. They used to put the date of manufacture on them too.
--
Susan N.

Posted to rec.food.preserving

Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:
> I see that Ball/Jarden has redesigned the printing on both the
> Kerr and Ball jar lids. In past years the Ball lids used a
> blue outline of some fruits, but it looks like the new lid is
> just the name "Ball" The older Kerr lid had Kerr surrounded
> by a house outline, the new lid design, like the Ball lid,
> just has "Kerr" on it.
>
> IMHO it's a step backwards.
>
> Ted

I haven't seen them yet but IMHO, the plainer the better.

Bob
Posted to rec.food.preserving

In article >,
"Ted Mittelstaedt" > wrote:

> I see that Ball/Jarden has redesigned the printing on both the
> Kerr and Ball jar lids. In past years the Ball lids used a
> blue outline of some fruits, but it looks like the new lid is
> just the name "Ball" The older Kerr lid had Kerr surrounded
> by a house outline, the new lid design, like the Ball lid,
> just has "Kerr" on it.
>
> IMHO it's a step backwards.
>
> Ted

I don't mind the name on the lid, though I would certain prefer nothing
‹ that's not going to happen. I'm not fond of the size (Kerr ‹ I don't
buy Ball).
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://www.jamlady.eboard.com - story and
Posted to rec.food.preserving

In article >,
zxcvbob > wrote:

> Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:
> > I see that Ball/Jarden has redesigned the printing on both the
> > Kerr and Ball jar lids. In past years the Ball lids used a
> > blue outline of some fruits, but it looks like the new lid is
> > just the name "Ball" The older Kerr lid had Kerr surrounded
> > by a house outline, the new lid design, like the Ball lid,
> > just has "Kerr" on it.
> >
> > IMHO it's a step backwards.
> >
> > Ted

> I haven't seen them yet but IMHO, the plainer the better.
>
> Bob

Fleet Farm's got 'em on sale this week, Bob. :-)

Instead of Kerr across the middle and straight, with a border, it's now
across the top third, straight, larger and bolder, without a border.
Ugly. But then I'm not used to it.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://www.jamlady.eboard.com - story and
pics of Ronald McDonald House dinner posted 6-24-2007

Posted to rec.food.preserving

On Fri, 10 Aug 2007 01:31:22 -0700, "Ted Mittelstaedt"
> wrote:

>I see that Ball/Jarden has redesigned the printing on both the
>Kerr and Ball jar lids. In past years the Ball lids used a
>blue outline of some fruits, but it looks like the new lid is
>just the name "Ball" The older Kerr lid had Kerr surrounded
>by a house outline, the new lid design, like the Ball lid,
>just has "Kerr" on it.
>
>IMHO it's a step backwards.

We haven't bought any new Bernardin lids yet this year but, I presume
they'll have changed as well since they're all made in the same
factory now.
Doesn't matter to us what's on the lid anyway. We long since gave up
marking on the lid what's in the jar. When the info is on the lid and
with many items looking similar, once you remove and discard the lid,
you end up playing preserve roulette.
We now use the computer to print little Avery self stick labels on the
side of the jar. They stick very well on hot jars just out of
processing, come off very easily when the empty jars are washed and,
you can read them on the side of jars on the upper shelves of the
pantry.
Works for us.

Ross.
Posted to rec.food.preserving

The Cook wrote:
> On Fri, 10 Aug 2007 17:15:09 -0400, wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 10 Aug 2007 01:31:22 -0700, "Ted Mittelstaedt"
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> I see that Ball/Jarden has redesigned the printing on both the
>>> Kerr and Ball jar lids. In past years the Ball lids used a
>>> blue outline of some fruits, but it looks like the new lid is
>>> just the name "Ball" The older Kerr lid had Kerr surrounded
>>> by a house outline, the new lid design, like the Ball lid,
>>> just has "Kerr" on it.
>>>
>>> IMHO it's a step backwards.
>>>

>> We haven't bought any new Bernardin lids yet this year but, I presume
>> they'll have changed as well since they're all made in the same
>> factory now.
>> Doesn't matter to us what's on the lid anyway. We long since gave up
>> marking on the lid what's in the jar. When the info is on the lid and
>> with many items looking similar, once you remove and discard the lid,
>> you end up playing preserve roulette.
>> We now use the computer to print little Avery self stick labels on the
>> side of the jar. They stick very well on hot jars just out of
>> processing, come off very easily when the empty jars are washed and,
>> you can read them on the side of jars on the upper shelves of the
>> pantry.
>> Works for us.
>>
>> Ross.

> What I didn't mention in my previous post is that I put my labels on
> the lids. Since I (and my family) are the ones using most of the
> product, the labels are gone and no longer a problem. Getting them
> off the side of the jars was a major pain.

A paper towel or tissue with a little gasoline takes them right off.

Bob
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On Fri, 10 Aug 2007 17:15:09 -0400, wrote:

>On Fri, 10 Aug 2007 01:31:22 -0700, "Ted Mittelstaedt"
> wrote:
>
>>I see that Ball/Jarden has redesigned the printing on both the
>>Kerr and Ball jar lids. In past years the Ball lids used a
>>blue outline of some fruits, but it looks like the new lid is
>>just the name "Ball" The older Kerr lid had Kerr surrounded
>>by a house outline, the new lid design, like the Ball lid,
>>just has "Kerr" on it.
>>
>>IMHO it's a step backwards.
>>

>We haven't bought any new Bernardin lids yet this year but, I presume
>they'll have changed as well since they're all made in the same
>factory now.
>Doesn't matter to us what's on the lid anyway. We long since gave up
>marking on the lid what's in the jar. When the info is on the lid and
>with many items looking similar, once you remove and discard the lid,
>you end up playing preserve roulette.
>We now use the computer to print little Avery self stick labels on the
>side of the jar. They stick very well on hot jars just out of
>processing, come off very easily when the empty jars are washed and,
>you can read them on the side of jars on the upper shelves of the
>pantry.
>Works for us.
>
>Ross.

What I didn't mention in my previous post is that I put my labels on
the lids. Since I (and my family) are the ones using most of the
product, the labels are gone and no longer a problem. Getting them
off the side of the jars was a major pain.
--
Susan N.

Posted to rec.food.preserving
Ann Ann is offline

I like it. More room to write the date when the product was processed.

Posted to rec.food.preserving

> wrote in message
> On Fri, 10 Aug 2007 01:31:22 -0700, "Ted Mittelstaedt"
> > wrote:
>
>>I see that Ball/Jarden has redesigned the printing on both the
>>Kerr and Ball jar lids. In past years the Ball lids used a
>>blue outline of some fruits, but it looks like the new lid is
>>just the name "Ball" The older Kerr lid had Kerr surrounded
>>by a house outline, the new lid design, like the Ball lid,
>>just has "Kerr" on it.
>>
>>IMHO it's a step backwards.
>>

> We haven't bought any new Bernardin lids yet this year but, I presume
> they'll have changed as well since they're all made in the same
> factory now.
> Doesn't matter to us what's on the lid anyway. We long since gave up
> marking on the lid what's in the jar. When the info is on the lid and
> with many items looking similar, once you remove and discard the lid,
> you end up playing preserve roulette.
> We now use the computer to print little Avery self stick labels on the
> side of the jar. They stick very well on hot jars just out of
> processing, come off very easily when the empty jars are washed and,
> you can read them on the side of jars on the upper shelves of the
> pantry.
> Works for us.
> Ross.

I like plain. Seen the "platinum" colored lids? Wonder if this is aluminum,
which would make good sense, not so rustable, lighter, recyclable.
And ditto on the labels - only I use off brand address labels. Lots lots
cheaper. Also I list ingredients since I give away a lot and never know
where it goes.
Edrena

Posted to rec.food.preserving

In article >,
"The Joneses" > wrote:

> I like plain. Seen the "platinum" colored lids? Wonder if this is aluminum,

I thought it was paint -- it scratches.

> And ditto on the labels - only I use off brand address labels. Lots lots
> cheaper. Also I list ingredients since I give away a lot and never know
> where it goes.

I've decided to stick with Avery in spite of the cost -- I've spent too
much time mumbling at off brand stock that doesn't peel from the backing
easily. I list ingredients, too and usually include another comment --
use for it or brag about prizes.

--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://www.jamlady.eboard.com - story and
pics of Ronald McDonald House dinner posted 6-24-2007
Posted to rec.food.preserving

In article >,
The Cook > wrote:

> What I didn't mention in my previous post is that I put my labels on
> the lids. Since I (and my family) are the ones using most of the
> product, the labels are gone and no longer a problem. Getting them
> off the side of the jars was a major pain.

Goof-Off works and you can get a nice buzz from the fumes besides. "-)
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://www.jamlady.eboard.com - story and
pics of Ronald McDonald House dinner posted 6-24-2007
Posted to rec.food.preserving

The Joneses wrote:

> I like plain. Seen the "platinum" colored lids? Wonder if this is aluminum,
> which would make good sense, not so rustable, lighter, recyclable.
> And ditto on the labels - only I use off brand address labels. Lots lots
> cheaper. Also I list ingredients since I give away a lot and never know
> where it goes.
> Edrena

I saw the platinum lids and rings today in our local Kroger (King
Soopers) store. I couldn't decide whether I liked them or not, it was
such a departure from the gold ones. They reminded me of the very old
(circa WWII, I think) one-piece lids--what were they, zinc?

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.preserving

"Ted Mittelstaedt" > wrote in message
>I see that Ball/Jarden has redesigned the printing on both the
> Kerr and Ball jar lids. In past years the Ball lids used a
> blue outline of some fruits, but it looks like the new lid is
> just the name "Ball" The older Kerr lid had Kerr surrounded
> by a house outline, the new lid design, like the Ball lid,
> just has "Kerr" on it.
>
> IMHO it's a step backwards.
>
> Ted

I didn't even notice the design. What I did notice was the awful grey goop
that melted when in contact with oil has been replaced with the red rubbery
stuff like the Ball lid has. Now I'll buy Kerr again.

I label the jars. Avery goo will come off by filling the jar with hot water
and using a thumbnail or plastic scrubby thing. I get tired of trying to
write everything I want on the jar by hand and can print enough for a busy
day's output as fast as I could do one by hand.

Deb
--
In Oregon, the pacific northWET. NWF habitat #32964

Posted to rec.food.preserving

You can find a large selection of circular labels available for the
tops of different jars and bottles at http://www.onlinelabels.com/jar-labels.htm
..

The pricing is a lot lower than Avery and there is a much larger
variety of materials and sizes available including gloss and polyester
(weather proof) finishes available. We can provide samples for
testing if you want to fill out our sample request form at
http://www.onlinelabels.com/sampreq.asp .

Dave Carmany
OnlineLabels.com
http://www.onlinelabels.com

On Aug 10, 11:23 pm, wrote:
> On Fri, 10 Aug 2007 21:08:30 -0500, Melba's Jammin'
>
> > wrote:
> >In article >,
> > wrote:

> >> We now use the computer to print little Avery self sticklabelson the
> >> side of the jar.
> >> Ross.

> >Which ones are you using, Ross? I use the 5160 (rectangular) when I
> >don't use the 5294 rounds -- I've taken to putting them on the lids
> >because the round ones can be a bear to remove from the glass when
> >people return jars to me. On the lid, I can toss since I'm not using
> >the lid again.

> Hi Barb.
>
> 5160 it is. Lots of room for name, ingredients, date, process type and
> time. If the old label doesn't come off completely when the jar is
> washed, stick the new one right over it in the same place ;-).
> Wish you were a big bit closer. Even with the extended drought we've
> experienced here, our Dolgo crabapple trees are groaning under the
> weight of the fruit. And, one benefit of the drought and because we
> don't spray, there is very little insect or fungal damage. They are
> mostly all perfect and such a marvelous shade of red it's going to be
> a shame to waste so many of them. We can only MM just so many.
>
> Ross.

Posted to rec.food.preserving

In article .net>,
"Deb" > wrote:

> I didn't even notice the design. What I did notice was the awful grey goop
> that melted when in contact with oil has been replaced with the red rubbery
> stuff like the Ball lid has. Now I'll buy Kerr again.

They made that change a few years ago, Deb. (I still have some grey
goop lids)

> I label the jars. Avery goo will come off by filling the jar with hot water
> and using a thumbnail or plastic scrubby thing. I get tired of trying to
> write everything I want on the jar by hand and can print enough for a busy
> day's output as fast as I could do one by hand.
>
> Deb

I hear that. We had a big storm last night (3:00 am) and HWSRN
unplugged HIS computer but 1) didn't turn off mine nor 2) wake me so I
could. I had a dead machine this morning and was more than a little
anxious because I've got 20 labels to produce and I like 'em the way I
like 'em! And doing them by hand was not an option, IMO.

A re-set of the the whichadoogy system took care of my machine. It pays
to bring brownies to the Genius Bar at the local Apple Store ‹ they know
my face and I became Kelly when The Real Kelly didn't respond to her
name being called.

--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://www.jamlady.eboard.com - story and
pics of Ronald McDonald House dinner posted 6-24-2007
Posted to rec.food.preserving

wrote:

> >> We now use the computer to print little Avery self stick labels on the
> >> side of the jar.
> >> Ross.

> >Which ones are you using, Ross? I use the 5160 (rectangular) when I
> >don't use the 5294 rounds -- I've taken to putting them on the lids
> >because the round ones can be a bear to remove from the glass when
> >people return jars to me. On the lid, I can toss since I'm not using
> >the lid again.

> Hi Barb.
>
> 5160 it is. Lots of room for name, ingredients, date, process type and
> time. If the old label doesn't come off completely when the jar is
> washed, stick the new one right over it in the same place ;-).
> Wish you were a big bit closer. Even with the extended drought we've
> experienced here, our Dolgo crabapple trees are groaning under the
> weight of the fruit.

I hate you. And I mean that in only the kindest way, Ross! LOL!
Color me Dolgo Jelly Red. I've a similar plum crop. We'd just put the
second prop under another branch a day back and I was sweating bullets
about the stormy weather at 3:00 a.m. Nothing broke that I can see --
and I'd have seen it by now if it had. Hallelujah! We've got some tree
work coming up and I talked to The Guy about my plum tree. They'll do
some serious pruning in the cold of winter.

> And, one benefit of the drought and because we
> don't spray, there is very little insect or fungal damage. They are
> mostly all perfect and such a marvelous shade of red it's going to be
> a shame to waste so many of them. We can only MM just so many.
>
> Ross.

Understood.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://www.jamlady.eboard.com - story and
pics of Ronald McDonald House dinner posted 6-24-2007
Posted to rec.food.preserving

In article
Puester > wrote:

> I saw the platinum lids and rings today in our local Kroger (King
> Soopers) store. I couldn't decide whether I liked them or not, it was
> such a departure from the gold ones. They reminded me of the very old
> (circa WWII, I think) one-piece lids--what were they, zinc?
>
> gloria p

Yes, zinc. Hah! I never thought of that connection, but I see what you
mean.

TATTOO DESIGNS [email protected] Wine 10 29-06-2007 06:41 PM
TATTOO DESIGNS [email protected] Vegan 0 27-06-2007 01:57 PM
TATTOO DESIGNS [email protected] Barbecue 0 27-06-2007 11:35 AM
TATTOO DESIGNS [email protected] General Cooking 1 24-06-2007 07:10 PM
Restaurant Designs zarah General Cooking 0 14-01-2005 04:04 PM