What to do with canned pears?

Old 08-08-2007, 02:35 AM posted to rec.food.preserving

Default What to do with canned pears?

I still have a few jars of canned pears left from last year. Anyone have a
creative use for them? I used a couple of cans and made a pear crisp but it
wasn't a big winner. I'd like to get them used up before the pears on the
trees are ripe. Not that we're going to have enough to can this year mind
you. Husband attacked the trees with his pruning shears and it wasn't good.

Old 08-08-2007, 03:57 AM posted to rec.food.preserving

On Aug 7, 8:35 pm, "Julie Bove" wrote:
I still have a few jars of canned pears left from last year. Anyone have a
creative use for them? I used a couple of cans and made a pear crisp but it
wasn't a big winner. I'd like to get them used up before the pears on the
trees are ripe. Not that we're going to have enough to can this year mind
you. Husband attacked the trees with his pruning shears and it wasn't good.

Pear jam or preserves?

Old 08-08-2007, 04:52 AM posted to rec.food.preserving

" wrote in message
ups.com...
On Aug 7, 8:35 pm, "Julie Bove" wrote:
I still have a few jars of canned pears left from last year. Anyone have
creative use for them? I used a couple of cans and made a pear crisp but
it
wasn't a big winner. I'd like to get them used up before the pears on
the
trees are ripe. Not that we're going to have enough to can this year
mind
you. Husband attacked the trees with his pruning shears and it wasn't
good.

Pear jam or preserves?

Doubt that would get eaten. We're not big jam eaters.

Old 08-08-2007, 09:14 AM posted to rec.food.preserving

On Aug 7, 7:35 pm, "Julie Bove" wrote:
I still have a few jars of canned pears left from last year. Anyone have a
creative use for them? I used a couple of cans and made a pear crisp but it
wasn't a big winner. I'd like to get them used up before the pears on the
trees are ripe. Not that we're going to have enough to can this year mind
you. Husband attacked the trees with his pruning shears and it wasn't good.

try putting them in a blender or food processor with some berries and
make fruit leather.

Vicky

Old 08-08-2007, 09:25 AM posted to rec.food.preserving

"cooksalot" wrote in message
ups.com...
On Aug 7, 7:35 pm, "Julie Bove" wrote:
I still have a few jars of canned pears left from last year. Anyone have
creative use for them? I used a couple of cans and made a pear crisp but
it
wasn't a big winner. I'd like to get them used up before the pears on
the
trees are ripe. Not that we're going to have enough to can this year
mind
you. Husband attacked the trees with his pruning shears and it wasn't
good.

try putting them in a blender or food processor with some berries and
make fruit leather.

I didn't know I could do that once they were canned. I know how to make
fruit leather out of fresh fruit. Hmmm...

Old 08-08-2007, 03:15 PM posted to rec.food.preserving

In article 069ui.5128$7m5.1814@trndny02,
"Julie Bove" wrote:

I still have a few jars of canned pears left from last year. Anyone have a
creative use for them? I used a couple of cans and made a pear crisp but it
wasn't a big winner. I'd like to get them used up before the pears on the
trees are ripe. Not that we're going to have enough to can this year mind
you. Husband attacked the trees with his pruning shears and it wasn't good.

With a dollop of cottage cheese in the center, atop a lettuce leaf. Top
the cheese with a maraschino cherry. Right out of the 1950s. :-)

Puree and cook to fruit butter consistency.
Dice and combine with other fruits as "sauce."
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://www.jamlady.eboard.com - story and
Old 08-08-2007, 03:18 PM posted to rec.food.preserving

"Julie Bove" wrote:

I still have a few jars of canned pears left from last year. Anyone have a
creative use for them? I used a couple of cans and made a pear crisp but it
wasn't a big winner. I'd like to get them used up before the pears on the
trees are ripe. Not that we're going to have enough to can this year mind
you. Husband attacked the trees with his pruning shears and it wasn't good.

OK, I reread this after posting. You don't need to be in that big a
hurry to use them, especially if you don't have a large crop this
summer. I'd just make sure I used the FIFO principle. I wouldn't toss
them unless they'd been around for three years and then I sure as heck
wouldn't put up any more. :-)

"Beware of men bearing pruning shears or power tools."
Old 08-08-2007, 07:33 PM posted to rec.food.preserving

cooksalot wrote:
On Aug 7, 7:35 pm, "Julie Bove" wrote:
I still have a few jars of canned pears left from last year. Anyone have a
creative use for them? I used a couple of cans and made a pear crisp but it
wasn't a big winner. I'd like to get them used up before the pears on the
trees are ripe. Not that we're going to have enough to can this year mind
you. Husband attacked the trees with his pruning shears and it wasn't good.

try putting them in a blender or food processor with some berries and
make fruit leather.

Smoothies.

Sorbet/sherbet.

Peargaritas.

B/
Old 08-08-2007, 08:03 PM posted to rec.food.preserving

On Aug 8, 3:14 am, cooksalot wrote:
On Aug 7, 7:35 pm, "Julie Bove" wrote:

I still have a few jars of canned pears left from last year. Anyone have a
creative use for them? I used a couple of cans and made a pear crisp but it
wasn't a big winner. I'd like to get them used up before the pears on the
trees are ripe. Not that we're going to have enough to can this year mind
you. Husband attacked the trees with his pruning shears and it wasn't good.

try putting them in a blender or food processor with some berries and
make fruit leather.

Vicky

Ooh! Or even smoothies. But it wouldn't have much distinct taste
unless other berries were added.

Old 08-08-2007, 10:34 PM posted to rec.food.preserving

"Melba's Jammin'" wrote in message

With a dollop of cottage cheese in the center, atop a lettuce leaf. Top
the cheese with a maraschino cherry. Right out of the 1950s. :-)

I love that but have a dairy allergy.

Puree and cook to fruit butter consistency.
Dice and combine with other fruits as "sauce."

Hmmm... Don't know what I'd put the sauce on though. I guess the problems
are we have a lot of food allergies and I have diabetes so I don't eat much
in the way of fruit or desserts.

Old 08-08-2007, 10:35 PM posted to rec.food.preserving

"Buddy" why.wood.yew@bother wrote in message

With a dollop of cottage cheese in the center, atop a lettuce leaf. Top
the cheese with a maraschino cherry. Right out of the 1950s. :-)

Mom was just talking about this 2 nights ago. Only diff was that she'd put
a dollop of cream cheese in the cored half pear, then cottage cheese, a
couple of slices of canned peaches and then a bit of sour cream on top. As
a kid I didn't like the ice berg lettuce leaf, but the rest was great!

I used to make bunny salad. Lettuce leaf, then upside down canned pear
half. Use two cloves for eyes, red hot for nose, almonds for ears and a
little dab of cottage cheese for the tail.

Old 08-08-2007, 10:37 PM posted to rec.food.preserving

"Julie Bove" wrote:

I still have a few jars of canned pears left from last year. Anyone have
creative use for them? I used a couple of cans and made a pear crisp but
it
wasn't a big winner. I'd like to get them used up before the pears on
the
trees are ripe. Not that we're going to have enough to can this year
mind
you. Husband attacked the trees with his pruning shears and it wasn't
good.

OK, I reread this after posting. You don't need to be in that big a
hurry to use them, especially if you don't have a large crop this
summer. I'd just make sure I used the FIFO principle. I wouldn't toss
them unless they'd been around for three years and then I sure as heck
wouldn't put up any more. :-)

I thought they had to be used up within a year. I guess I'm safe then. I
don't think I will have any to put up this year. The bartlett tree is the
one he attacked. I see a few pears on there but certainly not enough to put
up. The other tree has some pears but I believe they are Comice. I don't
think they can be canned.

Old 08-08-2007, 10:37 PM posted to rec.food.preserving

"Brian Mailman" wrote in message
cooksalot wrote:
On Aug 7, 7:35 pm, "Julie Bove" wrote:
I still have a few jars of canned pears left from last year. Anyone
have a
creative use for them? I used a couple of cans and made a pear crisp
but it
wasn't a big winner. I'd like to get them used up before the pears on
the
trees are ripe. Not that we're going to have enough to can this year
mind
you. Husband attacked the trees with his pruning shears and it wasn't
good.

try putting them in a blender or food processor with some berries and
make fruit leather.

Smoothies.

Sorbet/sherbet.

Peargaritas.

I hadn't thought of sorbet. I will try that.

Old 08-08-2007, 10:38 PM posted to rec.food.preserving

" wrote in message
ups.com...

Ooh! Or even smoothies. But it wouldn't have much distinct taste
unless other berries were added.

Hard for me to make smoothies given our food allergies, but I can try. We
have strawberries too, but I'm not sure how many are left this late in the
season.

Old 08-08-2007, 11:29 PM posted to rec.food.preserving

"Julie Bove" wrote:

[...]

Why do you think you can't can comice pears. We do, they have a much
betterf taste than bartlet, I think.
Ellen