Sure Jell or Gelatin whats the diff

Old 30-07-2007, 02:36 PM posted to rec.food.preserving

Default Sure Jell or Gelatin whats the diff

hello,

some folks use flavored jello or gelatin in place of sure jell (maybe cost?)

is there a problem using gelatin in place of sure jell? benefits/detriments.

thanks

Old 30-07-2007, 05:18 PM posted to rec.food.preserving

In article ,
"mobile" wrote:

hello,

some folks use flavored jello or gelatin in place of sure jell (maybe cost?)

is there a problem using gelatin in place of sure jell? benefits/detriments.

thanks

Gelatin is an animal product - protein-based from boiled bones and other
animal parts; pectin is a plant product - it's a carbohydrate naturally
present in fruits and vegetables (to one level or another).

Poking around the NCHFP site and other (only a couple) recipe sites, I'm
guessing that one big reason has to do with shelf stability -- of the
gelatin-thickened spread recipes I looked at, all are NOT processed and
require storage in fridge or freezer (when unopened) and are to be used
within a few weeks or a few months.

FWIW.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://www.jamlady.eboard.com - story and
Old 30-07-2007, 07:07 PM posted to rec.food.preserving

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
In article ,
"mobile" wrote:

hello,

some folks use flavored jello or gelatin in place of sure jell (maybe cost?)

is there a problem using gelatin in place of sure jell? benefits/detriments.

thanks

Gelatin is an animal product - protein-based from boiled bones and other
animal parts;

There are certified-kosher fish-based gelatins as well as plant-based
(although the gelling properties are different than the animal-based ones).

Just FYI, I think the rest of your analysis holds.

B/
Old 30-07-2007, 07:58 PM posted to rec.food.preserving

"Brian Mailman" wrote in message
Melba's Jammin' wrote:
In article ,
"mobile" wrote:

hello,

some folks use flavored jello or gelatin in place of sure jell (maybe
cost?)

is there a problem using gelatin in place of sure jell?
benefits/detriments.

thanks

Gelatin is an animal product - protein-based from boiled bones and other
animal parts;

There are certified-kosher fish-based gelatins as well as plant-based
(although the gelling properties are different than the animal-based
ones).

Just FYI, I think the rest of your analysis holds.

B/

There are some very real "mouth feel" or consistency differences, too.
Pectin feels better imho.
Edrena

Old 30-07-2007, 09:42 PM posted to rec.food.preserving

In article ,
"The Joneses" wrote:

"Brian Mailman" wrote in message
Melba's Jammin' wrote:
In article ,
"mobile" wrote:

hello,

some folks use flavored jello or gelatin in place of sure jell (maybe
cost?)

is there a problem using gelatin in place of sure jell?
benefits/detriments.

thanks

Gelatin is an animal product - protein-based from boiled bones and other
animal parts;

There are certified-kosher fish-based gelatins as well as plant-based
(although the gelling properties are different than the animal-based
ones).

Just FYI, I think the rest of your analysis holds.

B/

There are some very real "mouth feel" or consistency differences, too.
Pectin feels better imho.
Edrena

Yeah -- I couldn't figure out how to say it, Edrena. The gelatin set is
more like ---- Jell-O. The pectin set is ---- different. Like a proper
jam or jelly. :-)
Old 30-07-2007, 09:43 PM posted to rec.food.preserving

In article ,
"The Joneses" wrote:

"Brian Mailman" wrote in message
Melba's Jammin' wrote:
In article ,
"mobile" wrote:

hello,

some folks use flavored jello or gelatin in place of sure jell (maybe
cost?)

is there a problem using gelatin in place of sure jell?
benefits/detriments.

thanks

Gelatin is an animal product - protein-based from boiled bones and other
animal parts;

There are certified-kosher fish-based gelatins as well as plant-based
(although the gelling properties are different than the animal-based
ones).

Well, FINE, Brian! LOL!

Just FYI, I think the rest of your analysis holds.

B/

There are some very real "mouth feel" or consistency differences, too.
Pectin feels better imho.
Edrena

Thanks. I've got a query in (for validation, I guess, about the storage
thang) to Dr. Andress; she's out of office right now.