FoodBanter.com

-   Preserving (https://www.foodbanter.com/preserving/)
-   -   Sure Jell or Gelatin whats the diff (https://www.foodbanter.com/preserving/130257-sure-jell-gelatin-whats.html)

mobile 30-07-2007 02:36 PM

Sure Jell or Gelatin whats the diff

hello,

some folks use flavored jello or gelatin in place of sure jell (maybe cost?)

is there a problem using gelatin in place of sure jell? benefits/detriments.

thanks

Melba's Jammin' 30-07-2007 05:18 PM

Sure Jell or Gelatin whats the diff

In article >,
"mobile" > wrote:

> hello,
>
> some folks use flavored jello or gelatin in place of sure jell (maybe cost?)
>
> is there a problem using gelatin in place of sure jell? benefits/detriments.
>
> thanks

Gelatin is an animal product - protein-based from boiled bones and other
animal parts; pectin is a plant product - it's a carbohydrate naturally
present in fruits and vegetables (to one level or another).

Poking around the NCHFP site and other (only a couple) recipe sites, I'm
guessing that one big reason has to do with shelf stability -- of the
gelatin-thickened spread recipes I looked at, all are NOT processed and
require storage in fridge or freezer (when unopened) and are to be used
within a few weeks or a few months.

FWIW.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://www.jamlady.eboard.com - story and

Brian Mailman[_1_] 30-07-2007 07:07 PM

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> In article >,
> "mobile" > wrote:
>
>> hello,
>>
>> some folks use flavored jello or gelatin in place of sure jell (maybe cost?)
>>
>> is there a problem using gelatin in place of sure jell? benefits/detriments.
>>
>> thanks

> Gelatin is an animal product - protein-based from boiled bones and other
> animal parts;

There are certified-kosher fish-based gelatins as well as plant-based
(although the gelling properties are different than the animal-based ones).

Just FYI, I think the rest of your analysis holds.

B/

The Joneses[_1_] 30-07-2007 07:58 PM

"Brian Mailman" > wrote in message
> Melba's Jammin' wrote:
>> In article >,
>> "mobile" > wrote:
>>
>>> hello,
>>>
>>> some folks use flavored jello or gelatin in place of sure jell (maybe
>>> cost?)
>>>
>>> is there a problem using gelatin in place of sure jell?
>>> benefits/detriments.
>>>
>>> thanks

>> Gelatin is an animal product - protein-based from boiled bones and other
>> animal parts;

> There are certified-kosher fish-based gelatins as well as plant-based
> (although the gelling properties are different than the animal-based
> ones).
>
> Just FYI, I think the rest of your analysis holds.
>
> B/

There are some very real "mouth feel" or consistency differences, too.
Pectin feels better imho.
Edrena

Melba's Jammin' 30-07-2007 09:42 PM

Sure Jell or Gelatin whats the diff

In article > ,
"The Joneses" > wrote:

> "Brian Mailman" > wrote in message
> > Melba's Jammin' wrote:

> >> Gelatin is an animal product - protein-based from boiled bones and other
> >> animal parts;

> > There are certified-kosher fish-based gelatins as well as plant-based
> > (although the gelling properties are different than the animal-based
> > ones).
> >
> > Just FYI, I think the rest of your analysis holds.
> >
> > B/

> There are some very real "mouth feel" or consistency differences, too.
> Pectin feels better imho.
> Edrena

Yeah -- I couldn't figure out how to say it, Edrena. The gelatin set is
more like ---- Jell-O. The pectin set is ---- different. Like a proper
jam or jelly. :-)

Melba's Jammin' 30-07-2007 09:43 PM

"The Joneses" > wrote:

> "Brian Mailman" > wrote in message
> > Melba's Jammin' wrote:

> >> Gelatin is an animal product - protein-based from boiled bones and other
> >> animal parts;

> > There are certified-kosher fish-based gelatins as well as plant-based
> > (although the gelling properties are different than the animal-based
> > ones).

Well, FINE, Brian! <LOL!>

> > Just FYI, I think the rest of your analysis holds.
> >
> > B/

> There are some very real "mouth feel" or consistency differences, too.
> Pectin feels better imho.
> Edrena

Thanks. I've got a query in (for validation, I guess, about the storage
thang) to Dr. Andress; she's out of office right now.