Posted to rec.food.preserving

Default Peach Jam question

if I am canning peach jam for instance, my last batch calls for 3 cups of
peaches, if I only have 2.5 cups, what can I use for filler. would water
work to extend the recipe to three cups.

thanks

Posted to rec.food.preserving

"mobile" > wrote in message
> if I am canning peach jam for instance, my last batch calls for 3 cups of
> peaches, if I only have 2.5 cups, what can I use for filler. would water
> work to extend the recipe to three cups.
>
> thanks

apple? apricots?

some kind of fleshy fruit?

I wouldn't use water - too watery...

Kathi

Posted to rec.food.preserving

"mobile" > wrote in message
> if I am canning peach jam for instance, my last batch calls for 3 cups of
> peaches, if I only have 2.5 cups, what can I use for filler. would water
> work to extend the recipe to three cups.
>
> thanks

Not quite. I think a quarter cup would be the farthest I would eke out a
recipe with water. That would slightly upset the sugar/water/acid/pectin
ratio and may result in a soft set. I would do without the water and make it
short. Or use unsweetened (orange, apple, berry, grape?) juice. Best. keep
some whole frozen strawberries in the freezer, and add them to whatever is
short. Can't possibly hurt. And useful for so many other things!
Edrena

Posted to rec.food.preserving

mobile wrote:
> if I am canning peach jam for instance, my last batch calls for 3 cups of
> peaches, if I only have 2.5 cups, what can I use for filler. would water
> work to extend the recipe to three cups.
>
> thanks

No. You need some kind of chopped fruit. Canned peaches? Mango?
Orange pulp? Raspberries?

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.preserving

In article >,
"mobile" > wrote:

> if I am canning peach jam for instance, my last batch calls for 3 cups of
> peaches, if I only have 2.5 cups, what can I use for filler. would water
> work to extend the recipe to three cups.
>
> thanks

Are you using pectin or just cooking sugar and peaches together? If the
latter, simply reduce the amount of sugar proportionately. If the
former, I like Gloria's recommendation of more pulp -- all her
suggestions would be good. Or apricot, too. Consider a half cup of
diced dried aps, soaked for a few minutes, then drained before adding to
the peaches. You could do worse.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://www.jamlady.eboard.com - story and

Posted to rec.food.preserving

Melba's Jammin' wrote:

> Are you using pectin or just cooking sugar and peaches together? If the
> latter, simply reduce the amount of sugar proportionately. If the
> former, I like Gloria's recommendation of more pulp -- all her
> suggestions would be good. Or apricot, too. Consider a half cup of
> diced dried aps, soaked for a few minutes, then drained before adding to
> the peaches.

I wouldn't soak them. They'll rehydrate in the pot, no? Which helps in
"using up" the excess water.

B/
Posted to rec.food.preserving

In article >,
Brian Mailman > wrote:

> Melba's Jammin' wrote:
>
> > Are you using pectin or just cooking sugar and peaches together? If the
> > latter, simply reduce the amount of sugar proportionately. If the
> > former, I like Gloria's recommendation of more pulp -- all her
> > suggestions would be good. Or apricot, too. Consider a half cup of
> > diced dried aps, soaked for a few minutes, then drained before adding to
> > the peaches.

> I wouldn't soak them. They'll rehydrate in the pot, no? Which helps in
> "using up" the excess water.
>
> B/

True. I soak mine, though. :-)
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://www.jamlady.eboard.com - story and
pics of Ronald McDonald House dinner posted 6-24-2007
Posted to rec.food.preserving

well just put that part off, bought some more peaches to make the full
recipe, takes all that guess work out of the equation.

"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> Brian Mailman > wrote:
>
>> Melba's Jammin' wrote:
>>
>> > Are you using pectin or just cooking sugar and peaches together? If
>> > the
>> > latter, simply reduce the amount of sugar proportionately. If the
>> > former, I like Gloria's recommendation of more pulp -- all her
>> > suggestions would be good. Or apricot, too. Consider a half cup of
>> > diced dried aps, soaked for a few minutes, then drained before adding
>> > the peaches.

>> I wouldn't soak them. They'll rehydrate in the pot, no? Which helps in
>> "using up" the excess water.
>>
>> B/

> True. I soak mine, though. :-)
> --
> -Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
> http://www.jamlady.eboard.com - story and
> pics of Ronald McDonald House dinner posted 6-24-2007

Posted to rec.food.preserving

mobile wrote:
> well just put that part off, bought some more peaches to make the full
> recipe, takes all that guess work out of the equation.

Spoilsport.

B/