Cherry Jalapeno Jam Recipe?

Old 26-06-2007, 12:13 AM posted to rec.food.preserving

Default Cherry Jalapeno Jam Recipe?

Has anyone ever made a Cherry Jalapeno jam or jelly? Is there a tried and
true method for adding jalapenos to jams and jellies that doesn't affect the
ratios in the recipes?

Thanks,

- A -

Old 26-06-2007, 07:00 AM posted to rec.food.preserving

"Carbon Copy" wrote in message
et...
Has anyone ever made a Cherry Jalapeno jam or jelly? Is there a tried and
true method for adding jalapenos to jams and jellies that doesn't affect
the ratios in the recipes?

Thanks,

- A -

Chop up the chiles of your choice and add fruit to measure. I believe with
cherries we add lemon juice to help acidify if using pectin? I misremember.
Chiles, no matter how hot are low acid, so add the 2 tablespoons lemon juice
to lower acid (or riper) fruit.
I had to add a dozen Serrano peppers to blackberry jam to even get warm. I
called it Hot Love. Wasn't very hot tho, not for me, and I just like
middlin-to hot stuff. When I add habeneros to peach jam, I use 3 - seeded &
deveined, chopped in tiny pieces. That's hot. But not too hot. The sugar
soaks up a *lot* of heat.
Y'all like hot stuff or what? To avoid a lot of messin' with the recipe, I
use a few habs for nice fruity taste and nice heat. Jalapeños is wimpy.
Edrena