Posted to rec.food.preserving

Default Different Jellies

This morning we went up on the Blue Ridge Parkway to The Bluffs
restaurant. Got my dose of ham biscuits and fried apples.

They have a gift shop and I looked at the muscadine jelly, honeysuckle
jelly, kudzu jelly and crabapple jelly. Another provider had spicy
garlic pepper jelly. I bought a jar of it to see what it is like and
if it is possible to copy it. Ingredients: sugar, vinegar, pectin,
garlic, red pepper, spices. It is clear with bits of pepper, pepper
seed and maybe pieces of garlic. Should be fun.
--
Susan N.

Posted to rec.food.preserving

In article >,
The Cook > wrote:

> This morning we went up on the Blue Ridge Parkway to The Bluffs
> restaurant. Got my dose of ham biscuits and fried apples.
>
> They have a gift shop and I looked at the muscadine jelly, honeysuckle
> jelly, kudzu jelly and crabapple jelly. Another provider had spicy
> garlic pepper jelly. I bought a jar of it to see what it is like and
> if it is possible to copy it. Ingredients: sugar, vinegar, pectin,
> garlic, red pepper, spices. It is clear with bits of pepper, pepper
> seed and maybe pieces of garlic. Should be fun.

I haven't made this, Susan. Add some red pepper flakes. :-)

{ Exported from MasterCook Mac }

Garlic Jelly

Recipe By: posted to rec.food.preserving by Barb Schaller, 6-17-2007
Serving Size: 1
Preparation Time: 0:00
Categories: Canning, Preserves, Etc.

Amount Measure Ingredient Preparation Method
2 tablespoons butter or margarine
1 head garlic cloves separated
and peeled and minced
3 cups granulated sugar
1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
6 ounces liquid pectin

In a large saucepan, combine butter and garlic over medium heat. Cook,
stirring constantly, until garlic is light golden brown (3 to 4
minutes). Add sugar and vinegar. Cook, stirring constantly, until
sugar dissolves and mixture comes to a boil. Stir in pectin. Boil 1
minute, stirring constantly. Remove from heat. Skim foam from top of
jelly. Pour into sterilized jars and seal. Yield: about 3 C. jelly.

----------
Notes: Nancy Dooley to rec.food.cooking, 8/11/95

_____

--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://www.jamlady.eboard.com
Posted to rec.food.preserving

"The Cook" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 17 Jun 2007 13:38:00 -0500, Melba's Jammin'
> > wrote:
>
>>In article >,
>> The Cook > wrote:
>>
>>> This morning we went up on the Blue Ridge Parkway to The Bluffs
>>> restaurant. Got my dose of ham biscuits and fried apples.
>>>
>>> They have a gift shop and I looked at the muscadine jelly, honeysuckle
>>> jelly, kudzu jelly and crabapple jelly. Another provider had spicy
>>> garlic pepper jelly. I bought a jar of it to see what it is like and
>>> if it is possible to copy it. Ingredients: sugar, vinegar, pectin,
>>> garlic, red pepper, spices. It is clear with bits of pepper, pepper
>>> seed and maybe pieces of garlic. Should be fun.

>>I haven't made this, Susan. Add some red pepper flakes. :-)
>>
>>{ Exported from MasterCook Mac }
>>
>>Garlic Jelly
>>
>>Recipe By: posted to rec.food.preserving by Barb Schaller, 6-17-2007
>>Serving Size: 1
>>Preparation Time: 0:00
>>Categories: Canning, Preserves, Etc.
>>
>>Amount Measure Ingredient Preparation Method
>>2 tablespoons butter or margarine
>>1 head garlic cloves separated
>> and peeled and minced
>>3 cups granulated sugar
>>1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
>>6 ounces liquid pectin
>>
>>In a large saucepan, combine butter and garlic over medium heat. Cook,
>>stirring constantly, until garlic is light golden brown (3 to 4
>>minutes). Add sugar and vinegar. Cook, stirring constantly, until
>>sugar dissolves and mixture comes to a boil. Stir in pectin. Boil 1
>>minute, stirring constantly. Remove from heat. Skim foam from top of
>>jelly. Pour into sterilized jars and seal. Yield: about 3 C. jelly.
>>
>> ----------
>>Notes: Nancy Dooley to rec.food.cooking, 8/11/95
>>
>>_____

> Thanks. It will be a good starting point. I need to taste the jar I
> bought.
>
> --
> Susan N.

I've made this one, and it's .... very interesting. Would be more
interesting with chiles of course. Makes a nice dollop on fried rice or stir
fries, and wonderful glaze for roasted meat.
Edrena

Posted to rec.food.preserving

On Sun, 17 Jun 2007 13:38:00 -0500, Melba's Jammin'
> wrote:

>In article >,
> The Cook > wrote:
>
>> This morning we went up on the Blue Ridge Parkway to The Bluffs
>> restaurant. Got my dose of ham biscuits and fried apples.
>>
>> They have a gift shop and I looked at the muscadine jelly, honeysuckle
>> jelly, kudzu jelly and crabapple jelly. Another provider had spicy
>> garlic pepper jelly. I bought a jar of it to see what it is like and
>> if it is possible to copy it. Ingredients: sugar, vinegar, pectin,
>> garlic, red pepper, spices. It is clear with bits of pepper, pepper
>> seed and maybe pieces of garlic. Should be fun.

>I haven't made this, Susan. Add some red pepper flakes. :-)
>
>{ Exported from MasterCook Mac }
>
>Garlic Jelly
>
>Recipe By: posted to rec.food.preserving by Barb Schaller, 6-17-2007
>Serving Size: 1
>Preparation Time: 0:00
>Categories: Canning, Preserves, Etc.
>
>Amount Measure Ingredient Preparation Method
>2 tablespoons butter or margarine
>1 head garlic cloves separated
> and peeled and minced
>3 cups granulated sugar
>1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
>6 ounces liquid pectin
>
>In a large saucepan, combine butter and garlic over medium heat. Cook,
>stirring constantly, until garlic is light golden brown (3 to 4
>minutes). Add sugar and vinegar. Cook, stirring constantly, until
>sugar dissolves and mixture comes to a boil. Stir in pectin. Boil 1
>minute, stirring constantly. Remove from heat. Skim foam from top of
>jelly. Pour into sterilized jars and seal. Yield: about 3 C. jelly.
>
> ----------
>Notes: Nancy Dooley to rec.food.cooking, 8/11/95
>
>_____

Thanks. It will be a good starting point. I need to taste the jar I
bought.

--
Susan N.

Posted to rec.food.preserving

What would honeysuckle or kudzu jelly be like? Would one steep the
flowers?

Regards, Dianna

On Sun, 17 Jun 2007 11:56:36 -0500, The Cook >
wrote:

>This morning we went up on the Blue Ridge Parkway to The Bluffs
>restaurant. Got my dose of ham biscuits and fried apples.
>
>They have a gift shop and I looked at the muscadine jelly, honeysuckle
>jelly, kudzu jelly and crabapple jelly. Another provider had spicy
>garlic pepper jelly. I bought a jar of it to see what it is like and
>if it is possible to copy it. Ingredients: sugar, vinegar, pectin,
>garlic, red pepper, spices. It is clear with bits of pepper, pepper
>seed and maybe pieces of garlic. Should be fun.

Posted to rec.food.preserving

On Sun, 17 Jun 2007 13:38:00 -0500, Melba's Jammin'
> wrote:

>I haven't made this, Susan. Add some red pepper flakes. :-)
>
>{ Exported from MasterCook Mac }
>
>Garlic Jelly

I have made it, and the people at my house all like it. It goes well
with cream cheese, and with peanut butter too....

It did that garlic thing where it turned blue, so I added a little
turmeric--not enough to affect the flavor--to make it nice and yellow.

--Rebecca
Posted to rec.food.preserving

"rebecca" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 17 Jun 2007 13:38:00 -0500, Melba's Jammin'
> > wrote:
>
>>I haven't made this, Susan. Add some red pepper flakes. :-)
>>
>>{ Exported from MasterCook Mac }
>>
>>Garlic Jelly

> I have made it, and the people at my house all like it. It goes well
> with cream cheese, and with peanut butter too....
>
> It did that garlic thing where it turned blue, so I added a little
> turmeric--not enough to affect the flavor--to make it nice and yellow.
>
> --Rebecca

garlic jelly and peanut butter???

Kathi

Posted to rec.food.preserving

In article >,
"Kathi Jones" > wrote:

> "rebecca" > wrote in message

> > I have made it, and the people at my house all like it. It goes well
> > with cream cheese, and with peanut butter too....
> > --Rebecca

> garlic jelly and peanut butter???
>
> Kathi

Hey, a friend of mine swears by my Purple Basil Jelly with peanut
butter. Whatever.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://www.jamlady.eboard.com
http:/http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/amytaylor/
Posted to rec.food.preserving

"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> "Kathi Jones" > wrote:
>
>> "rebecca" > wrote in message

>> > I have made it, and the people at my house all like it. It goes well
>> > with cream cheese, and with peanut butter too....
>> > --Rebecca

>> garlic jelly and peanut butter???
>>
>> Kathi

> Hey, a friend of mine swears by my Purple Basil Jelly with peanut
> butter. Whatever.
> --
> -Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
> http://www.jamlady.eboard.com
> http:/http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/amytaylor/

well, I like apples, raisins and mayo with peanut butter....but garlic
jelly? hmmmmmm

I'm gonna have to make some just to try it.

Actually, I did make a garlic jelly a few years ago - turned out really
bad - the jelly got syrupy
and the sugar crystallized. Don't ask me what the recipe was, cuz I don't
remember, but it did
have garlic, sugar and vinegar in it. Maybe I'll try again this year...

Kathi

Posted to rec.food.preserving

Kathi Jones wrote:
> "Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
>
>>In article >,

>>>garlic jelly and peanut butter???
>>>
>>>Kathi

>>Hey, a friend of mine swears by my Purple Basil Jelly with peanut
>>butter. Whatever.
>>--
>>-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
>>http://www.jamlady.eboard.com
>>http:/http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/amytaylor/

> well, I like apples, raisins and mayo with peanut butter....but garlic
> jelly? hmmmmmm
>
> I'm gonna have to make some just to try it.
>
> Actually, I did make a garlic jelly a few years ago - turned out really
> bad - the jelly got syrupy
> and the sugar crystallized. Don't ask me what the recipe was, cuz I don't
> remember, but it did
> have garlic, sugar and vinegar in it. Maybe I'll try again this year...
>
> Kathi

And one of my favorite sammiches is sliced bananas, peanut butter, and
Miracle Whip. My Dad made them for me 60 years ago and I still like
them. Different strokes for different folks.

George

Posted to rec.food.preserving

George Shirley wrote:

> And one of my favorite sammiches is sliced bananas, peanut butter, and
> Miracle Whip. My Dad made them for me 60 years ago and I still like
> them. Different strokes for different folks.

Yum. Try peanut butter, mayo, and sweet pickles. Kind of a similar
vibe.

Serene
Posted to rec.food.preserving

"Serene" > wrote in message
> George Shirley wrote:
>
>> And one of my favorite sammiches is sliced bananas, peanut butter, and
>> Miracle Whip. My Dad made them for me 60 years ago and I still like them.
>> Different strokes for different folks.

> Yum. Try peanut butter, mayo, and sweet pickles. Kind of a similar vibe.
>
> Serene

oh, you guys are weird...;-P

ya, we like PB and banana too, but with mayo? mayo and pickles?
isn't it funny what people will do to peanut butter?

Kathi

Posted to rec.food.preserving

Kathi Jones wrote:
> "Serene" > wrote in message
>> George Shirley wrote:
>>
>>> And one of my favorite sammiches is sliced bananas, peanut butter, and
>>> Miracle Whip. My Dad made them for me 60 years ago and I still like them.
>>> Different strokes for different folks.

>> Yum. Try peanut butter, mayo, and sweet pickles. Kind of a similar vibe.
>>
>> Serene

> oh, you guys are weird...;-P
>
> ya, we like PB and banana too, but with mayo? mayo and pickles?
> isn't it funny what people will do to peanut butter?

:-) The only thing I HATE is peanut butter with jelly. Yes, I know
I'm weird.

Peanut butter, butter, and honey is another fave.

Serene
Posted to rec.food.preserving

"Serene" > wrote in message
> Kathi Jones wrote:

>>> Yum. Try peanut butter, mayo, and sweet pickles. Kind of a similar
>>> vibe.
>>>
>>> Serene

>> oh, you guys are weird...;-P
>>
>> ya, we like PB and banana too, but with mayo? mayo and pickles?
>> isn't it funny what people will do to peanut butter?

> :-) The only thing I HATE is peanut butter with jelly. Yes, I know I'm
> weird.
>
> Peanut butter, butter, and honey is another fave.
>
> Serene

oh ya, peanut butter and honey's good too, but most bestest of all is PEANUT
BUTTER AND CHOCOLATE!!!

Kathi

Posted to rec.food.preserving

Default OT Peanut butter perversions (was Different Jellies)

Kathi Jones wrote:
> "Serene" > wrote in message
>> Kathi Jones wrote:

>>> oh, you guys are weird...;-P
>>>
>>> ya, we like PB and banana too, but with mayo? mayo and pickles?
>>> isn't it funny what people will do to peanut butter?

>> :-) The only thing I HATE is peanut butter with jelly. Yes, I know I'm
>> weird.
>>
>> Peanut butter, butter, and honey is another fave.
>>
>> Serene

> oh ya, peanut butter and honey's good too, but most bestest of all is PEANUT
> BUTTER AND CHOCOLATE!!!

On a sandwich? I've had it as candy before.

Serene

Posted to rec.food.preserving

"Serene" > wrote in message
> Kathi Jones wrote:

>>> :-) The only thing I HATE is peanut butter with jelly. Yes, I know I'm
>>> weird.
>>>
>>> Peanut butter, butter, and honey is another fave.
>>>
>>> Serene

>> oh ya, peanut butter and honey's good too, but most bestest of all is
>> PEANUT BUTTER AND CHOCOLATE!!!

> On a sandwich? I've had it as candy before.
>
> Serene

ha-ha, ya, you're right - as candy, ice cream...on s'mores (ohmygosh that's
good!) bet my daughter would eat it on a sandwich with
that Nutella stuff...she hasn't thought of that on her own yet....

Posted to rec.food.preserving

On Jun 18, 3:47 pm, Serene > wrote:
> George Shirley wrote:
> > And one of my favorite sammiches is sliced bananas, peanut butter, and
> > Miracle Whip. My Dad made them for me 60 years ago and I still like
> > them. Different strokes for different folks.

> Yum. Try peanut butter, mayo, and sweet pickles. Kind of a similar
> vibe.
>
> Serene

No no, must be kosher garlic dill pickles. Skip the mayo and add thin
slices of sweet onion.

Posted to rec.food.preserving

Kathi Jones wrote:

> ha-ha, ya, you're right - as candy, ice cream...on s'mores (ohmygosh that's
> good!) bet my daughter would eat it on a sandwich with
> that Nutella stuff...she hasn't thought of that on her own yet....

Ewww, Nutella. I love hazelnuts themselves, and I like chocolate
fine (can take it or leave it), but put them together, and oh, man,
so yucky to me.

(Likewise fruit.)

Serene
Posted to rec.food.preserving

"Serene" > wrote in message

> ObPreserving: I am going to make my very first chutney this weekend. If
> I use pint jars, can I use a regular large stockpot to do the
> boiling-water bath, or does it need to be a pot that's meant to be a
> canner? (I will check the FAQ, but just in case someone feels like
> displaying their vast stores of knowledge.)
>
> Serene

I often use a stock pot or my pressure cooker (with a glass lid, not the
pressure lid) when I'm making small batches. No need to fill the big canner
for a small batch of small jars.

As long as the pot is deep enough to cover the jars with 1"-2" boiling water
it will be fine. The jars need to be up off the bottom of the pot. If you
don't have a rack to fit the pot, you can use a towel, or even better, tie
some jar rings together with twisty ties.

Deb
--
In Oregon, the pacific northWET. NWF habitat #32964

Posted to rec.food.preserving

"Serene" > wrote in message
> George Shirley wrote:
>
>> And one of my favorite sammiches is sliced bananas, peanut butter, and
>> Miracle Whip. My Dad made them for me 60 years ago and I still like them.
>> Different strokes for different folks.

> Yum. Try peanut butter, mayo, and sweet pickles. Kind of a similar vibe.
>
> Serene

Ain't no tellin' what people will eat. Everybody knows that sweet pickles
don't go with the sandwich. It's potato chips that go *in* the sandwich.
Sheesh!
Edrena

Posted to rec.food.preserving

"Dianna Visek" > wrote in message
> What would honeysuckle or kudzu jelly be like? Would one steep the
> flowers?
>
> Regards, Dianna

Re honeysuckle: Or use an edible essential oil in water or apple jelly? I
tried to make violet jelly one year. The tea/infusion tasted like spinach. I
believe I should have yanked off the green part at the base of the flower. I
read somewhere that flower fragrance is in the *petal* portion. I need to
order another rose geranium. An old-timey favorite jelly is apple with one
leaf in the bottom of the jar. Tres elegante!
Edrena

Posted to rec.food.preserving

The Joneses wrote:
> "Serene" > wrote in message
>> George Shirley wrote:
>>
>>> And one of my favorite sammiches is sliced bananas, peanut butter, and
>>> Miracle Whip. My Dad made them for me 60 years ago and I still like them.
>>> Different strokes for different folks.

>> Yum. Try peanut butter, mayo, and sweet pickles. Kind of a similar vibe.
>>
>> Serene

> Ain't no tellin' what people will eat. Everybody knows that sweet pickles
> don't go with the sandwich. It's potato chips that go *in* the sandwich.
> Sheesh!

Hey, that'll work. :-)

Serene
Posted to rec.food.preserving

"The Joneses" > wrote in message
et...

> "Serene" > wrote in message
>> George Shirley wrote:
>>
>>> And one of my favorite sammiches is sliced bananas, peanut butter, and
>>> Miracle Whip. My Dad made them for me 60 years ago and I still like
>>> them. Different strokes for different folks.

>> Yum. Try peanut butter, mayo, and sweet pickles. Kind of a similar
>> vibe.
>>
>> Serene

> Ain't no tellin' what people will eat. Everybody knows that sweet pickles
> don't go with the sandwich. It's potato chips that go *in* the sandwich.
> Sheesh!
> Edrena

you mean instead of pickles on the sammich and chips on the side, you do
chips on the sammich and pickles on the side?
I used to put chips on my burgers when I was a kid....now I put Tostitos
(corn chips) on my salad (instead of croutons)

Kathi

Posted to rec.food.preserving
clc clc is offline

"George Shirley" > wrote in message
> Kathi Jones wrote:
>> "Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message

>>>Hey, a friend of mine swears by my Purple Basil Jelly with peanut
>>>butter. Whatever.
>>>--
>>>-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
>>>http://www.jamlady.eboard.com
>>>http:/http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/amytaylor/

>> well, I like apples, raisins and mayo with peanut butter....but garlic
>> jelly? hmmmmmm
>>
>> I'm gonna have to make some just to try it.
>>
>> Actually, I did make a garlic jelly a few years ago - turned out really
>> bad - the jelly got syrupy
>> and the sugar crystallized. Don't ask me what the recipe was, cuz I
>> don't remember, but it did
>> have garlic, sugar and vinegar in it. Maybe I'll try again this year...
>>
>> Kathi
>>

> And one of my favorite sammiches is sliced bananas, peanut butter, and
> Miracle Whip. My Dad made them for me 60 years ago and I still like them.
> Different strokes for different folks.
>
> George

Yum, yum! Mom used to make a side salad with sliced bananas covered with
mayo and peanuts crushed on top. Just add bread...

Cheryl

Posted to rec.food.preserving

Deb wrote:

> I often use a stock pot or my pressure cooker (with a glass lid, not the
> pressure lid) when I'm making small batches. No need to fill the big canner
> for a small batch of small jars.
>
> As long as the pot is deep enough to cover the jars with 1"-2" boiling water
> it will be fine. The jars need to be up off the bottom of the pot. If you
> don't have a rack to fit the pot, you can use a towel, or even better, tie
> some jar rings together with twisty ties.

Cool; thanks.

Serene
Posted to rec.food.preserving

Serene > wrote:
> Deb wrote:
>
> > I often use a stock pot or my pressure cooker (with a glass lid, not
> > the pressure lid) when I'm making small batches. No need to fill the
> > big canner for a small batch of small jars.
> >
> > As long as the pot is deep enough to cover the jars with 1"-2" boiling
> > water it will be fine. The jars need to be up off the bottom of the
> > pot. If you don't have a rack to fit the pot, you can use a towel, or
> > even better, tie some jar rings together with twisty ties.

> Cool; thanks.

I like that, too. I haven't made jelly in decades. What would be easiest to
start with?

~Semper Fi~
Posted to rec.food.preserving

In article >,
Nick Cramer > wrote:

> > Deb wrote:

> > > As long as the pot is deep enough to cover the jars with 1"-2" boiling
> > > water it will be fine. The jars need to be up off the bottom of the
> > > pot. If you don't have a rack to fit the pot, you can use a towel, or
> > > even better, tie some jar rings together with twisty ties.

> I like that, too. I haven't made jelly in decades. What would be easiest to
> start with?

That depends on what kind of jelly you like, Nick. :-) For jelly you
need juice, sugar, pectin.

Thirty-some years ago my neighbor told me that the plums on my tree
would make good jelly. I asked her how to do that and she told me to go
to the store and buy a package of Sure€Jell and follow the directions.
I did. She was right ‹ the jelly is wonderful.

Now I use Ball Fruit Jell (on sale this week at my Fleet Farm store).
This week I've made grape jelly, pomegranate jelly, and cherry jelly.
Raspberry jelly will be in a couple weeks. At $4.50 per quart I can't
decide if I want to put that much money into strawberry jelly.

Back to what would be easiest. For absolute easy, buy a bottle of
unsweetened grape juice and follow the instructions for making jelly
from bottled juice that are in the instruction leaflet with the fruit
pectin.

If it's been a long time since you've canned anything, check the
National Center for Home Food Preservation site for current info:
www.uga.edu/nchfp.

Good luck. And welcome to rec.food.preserving.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://www.jamlady.eboard.com
http:/http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/amytaylor/
Posted to rec.food.preserving

"Nick Cramer" > wrote in message

> I like that, too. I haven't made jelly in decades. What would be easiest
> start with?

Assuming you actully mean Jelly, see Barb's (excellent, as usual) post
above. I'd just add to that that if you want the easiest, freezer jellies
are a bit easier than ones processed to be shelf-stable.

But some people use the term "jelly" to mean any fruit spread. If that's
what you mean, jams are usually a bit easier than jellies (and again freezer
jams are a bit easier than those processed to be shelf-stable).

Commercial pectin packets include a recipe sheet for a variety of jellies
and jams, including freezer varieties. The Ball site,
www.freshpreserving.com, gives recipes, as do the National Center for Home
Preserving, http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/index.html, and the Kraft Foods site
(they make Sure-Jell and Certo), http://www.kraftfoods.com/kf.

Anny

Posted to rec.food.preserving

"The Cook" > wrote in message
> This morning we went up on the Blue Ridge Parkway to The Bluffs
> restaurant. Got my dose of ham biscuits and fried apples.
>
> They have a gift shop and I looked at the muscadine jelly, honeysuckle
> jelly, kudzu jelly and crabapple jelly. Another provider had spicy
> garlic pepper jelly. I bought a jar of it to see what it is like and
> if it is possible to copy it. Ingredients: sugar, vinegar, pectin,
> garlic, red pepper, spices. It is clear with bits of pepper, pepper
> seed and maybe pieces of garlic. Should be fun.
> --
> Susan N.

I picked up a jar of cactus jelly at the market last weekend. I tried
before, but quit because my spine stuck fingers got infected. Eva's jelly
was so clear and inviting....
This cactus jelly was made from local prickly pears ("tunas"). The color
is fabulous, deep garnet, but the taste leaves a bit to be desired. I love
the fruity fragrances that make ordinary home jellies so nice. Tunas don't
smell much like anything. But oh, the color!
Edrena

Posted to rec.food.preserving

The Joneses wrote:

> This cactus jelly was made from local prickly pears ("tunas"). The color
> is fabulous, deep garnet, but the taste leaves a bit to be desired.

I enjoy the pickled leaves/paddles (aka "nopales" no-PAH-lays)
tremendously. You can buy them raw here, in the Mission District--and
the store usually has a scraper available for removing the
prickles/stickers.

I don't have a recipe for them, though--it's a product I'll by the large
jar rather than try to make.

B/
Posted to rec.food.preserving
clc clc is offline

"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> Nick Cramer > wrote:

>> I like that, too. I haven't made jelly in decades. What would be easiest
>> start with?

> That depends on what kind of jelly you like, Nick. :-) For jelly you
> need juice, sugar, pectin.
>
> Thirty-some years ago my neighbor told me that the plums on my tree
> would make good jelly. I asked her how to do that and she told me to go
> to the store and buy a package of Sure?Jell and follow the directions.
> I did. She was right < the jelly is wonderful.
>
> Now I use Ball Fruit Jell (on sale this week at my Fleet Farm store).
> This week I've made grape jelly, pomegranate jelly, and cherry jelly.
> Raspberry jelly will be in a couple weeks. At $4.50 per quart I can't
> decide if I want to put that much money into strawberry jelly.
>
> Back to what would be easiest. For absolute easy, buy a bottle of
> unsweetened grape juice and follow the instructions for making jelly
> from bottled juice that are in the instruction leaflet with the fruit
> pectin.
>
> If it's been a long time since you've canned anything, check the
> National Center for Home Food Preservation site for current info:
> www.uga.edu/nchfp.
>
> Good luck. And welcome to rec.food.preserving.
> --
> -Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
> http://www.jamlady.eboard.com
> http:/http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/amytaylor/

4.50 per quart of strawberries?????????? Here in Central Illinois you've
been able to get them between $1.50 to $2.00 for about a month or more - and
good ones, too!

Area Schnucks have had ads for 6 oz. packages of red raspberries 10/$10.00 -
but I've stopped every day (so far this week) and they're always out. Good
marketing, huh?

Cheryl

Posted to rec.food.preserving

In article >,
"clc" > wrote:

> "Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message

> > Raspberry jelly will be in a couple weeks. At $4.50 per quart I can't
> > decide if I want to put that much money into strawberry jelly.

> 4.50 per quart of strawberries?????????? Here in Central Illinois you've
> been able to get them between $1.50 to $2.00 for about a month or more - and
> good ones, too!
>
> Area Schnucks have had ads for 6 oz. packages of red raspberries 10/$10.00 -
> but I've stopped every day (so far this week) and they're always out. Good
> marketing, huh?
>
> Cheryl

Yup. Locally grown. Picked by someone else. If I pick them myself,
the price goes to about half, guy said. It'd cost me that much in gas
to pick the quantity I like at any given time. I don't want to be faced
with a whole flat of strawberries at once.

I'll pay my sister about $2.50 for a pint of her raspberries in a couple
weeks. Farmers market price is at least twice that.

I just came from Cub (stupormarket) with apricots -- $2.29/lb. Used to
was I could get them for $.99/lb. Bygone days.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://www.jamlady.eboard.com
http:/http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/amytaylor/
Posted to rec.food.preserving

The Joneses wrote:
> "The Cook" > wrote in message
>
>>This morning we went up on the Blue Ridge Parkway to The Bluffs
>>restaurant. Got my dose of ham biscuits and fried apples.
>>
>>They have a gift shop and I looked at the muscadine jelly, honeysuckle
>>jelly, kudzu jelly and crabapple jelly. Another provider had spicy
>>garlic pepper jelly. I bought a jar of it to see what it is like and
>>if it is possible to copy it. Ingredients: sugar, vinegar, pectin,
>>garlic, red pepper, spices. It is clear with bits of pepper, pepper
>>seed and maybe pieces of garlic. Should be fun.
>>--
>>Susan N.

> I picked up a jar of cactus jelly at the market last weekend. I tried
> before, but quit because my spine stuck fingers got infected. Eva's jelly
> was so clear and inviting....
> This cactus jelly was made from local prickly pears ("tunas"). The color
> is fabulous, deep garnet, but the taste leaves a bit to be desired. I love
> the fruity fragrances that make ordinary home jellies so nice. Tunas don't
> smell much like anything. But oh, the color!
> Edrena

I used to make tuna jelly myself Edrena. Unfortunately the elderly gent
who let me harvest them on his property died and his kids bulldozed the
prickly pear patch. I used to add a little fruit juice to the jelly to
give it a light fragrance. Never worried about stickers in the fingers,
picking the tunas was easy with a machete.

Did you know that prickly pear cactus is all over the Middle East and in
other countries too. As is the mesquite tree. I expect lonely Texians
planted them to have a little bit of home nearby.

George

Posted to rec.food.preserving

Brian Mailman wrote:

> The Joneses wrote:
>
>> This cactus jelly was made from local prickly pears ("tunas"). The
>> color is fabulous, deep garnet, but the taste leaves a bit to be desired.

> I enjoy the pickled leaves/paddles (aka "nopales" no-PAH-lays)
> tremendously. You can buy them raw here, in the Mission District--and
> the store usually has a scraper available for removing the
> prickles/stickers.
>
> I don't have a recipe for them, though--it's a product I'll by the large
> jar rather than try to make.
>
> B/

I used to make a mean tuna fish salad with nopalitos and black olives in
it. Nopalitos are the little pickled strips of nopales. Got to rinse
them good as they are slimy right out of the jar. Might be something
else for Edrena to pickle and take to the farmers market. Easy enough to
get the stickers off the nopales. We used to use a flame thrower to burn
them off so the cattle could eat them in a drought season.

George

Posted to rec.food.preserving

Melba's Jammin' wrote:

> In article >,
> "clc" > wrote:
>

>>"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message

>>>Raspberry jelly will be in a couple weeks. At $4.50 per quart I can't
>>>decide if I want to put that much money into strawberry jelly.

>>4.50 per quart of strawberries?????????? Here in Central Illinois you've
>>been able to get them between $1.50 to $2.00 for about a month or more - and
>>good ones, too!
>>
>>Area Schnucks have had ads for 6 oz. packages of red raspberries 10/$10.00 -
>>but I've stopped every day (so far this week) and they're always out. Good
>>marketing, huh?
>>
>>Cheryl

> Yup. Locally grown. Picked by someone else. If I pick them myself,
> the price goes to about half, guy said. It'd cost me that much in gas
> to pick the quantity I like at any given time. I don't want to be faced
> with a whole flat of strawberries at once.
>
> I'll pay my sister about $2.50 for a pint of her raspberries in a couple
> weeks. Farmers market price is at least twice that.
>
> I just came from Cub (stupormarket) with apricots -- $2.29/lb. Used to
> was I could get them for $.99/lb. Bygone days.

Plant a couple of apricot trees there at the Schaller Swankienda, a few
years you'll have enough apricots to share. Sure wish they grew down here.

I just peeled and sliced the entire crop of peaches from out La
Feliciana peach tree. Got two quarts of slices now. Think I'll make a
peach cobbler tomorrow. Of course this is the first year the tree has
borne fruit. Just waiting for the figs to ripen. Both kumquat trees are
absolutely covered with blooms and the bees are a-buzzing.

George

Posted to rec.food.preserving

Melba's Jammin' > wrote:
> Nick Cramer > wrote:

> > I like that, too. I haven't made jelly in decades. What would be
> > easiest to start with?

> That depends on what kind of jelly you like, Nick. :-) For jelly you
> need juice, sugar, pectin.
>
> Thirty-some years ago my neighbor told me that the plums on my tree
> would make good jelly. I asked her how to do that and she told me to go
> to the store and buy a package of Sure€Jell and follow the directions.
> I did. She was right ‹ the jelly is wonderful.
>
> Now I use Ball Fruit Jell (on sale this week at my Fleet Farm store).
> This week I've made grape jelly, pomegranate jelly, and cherry jelly.
> Raspberry jelly will be in a couple weeks. At $4.50 per quart I can't
> decide if I want to put that much money into strawberry jelly.
>
> Back to what would be easiest. For absolute easy, buy a bottle of
> unsweetened grape juice and follow the instructions for making jelly
> from bottled juice that are in the instruction leaflet with the fruit
> pectin.
>
> If it's been a long time since you've canned anything, check the
> National Center for Home Food Preservation site for current info:
> www.uga.edu/nchfp.
>
> Good luck. And welcome to rec.food.preserving.

Hi Barb. Thanks for the welcome and the good wishes.

When I was a kid (I'm 72 now), back in the 40's, I spent weekends and
summers at my grandmother's. She had a lot of apples, grapes, blackberries
and strawberries and some rhubarb (I still hate rhubarb), plus a couple of
acres of assorted veggies. She and my mother made a lot of grape and apple
jellies and plackberry preserve (jam?) plus some of the veggies. The
strawberries were eaten as picked, but I've had some great strawberry
preserve since. I think those are my main favorites.

I've saved the URL and will check it out later. Using grape juice for my
first attempt, sounds like a plan, although I remember tasting some wine
made by a friend from grape juice and Mountain Red was better!

Thanks again. I'll let y'all know. ;-/

~Semper Fi~
Posted to rec.food.preserving

"Anny Middon" > wrote:
> "Nick Cramer" > wrote in message
> >
> > I like that, too. I haven't made jelly in decades. What would be
> > easiest to
> > start with?
> >

> Assuming you actully mean Jelly, see Barb's (excellent, as usual) post
> above. I'd just add to that that if you want the easiest, freezer
> jellies are a bit easier than ones processed to be shelf-stable.
>
> But some people use the term "jelly" to mean any fruit spread. If that's
> what you mean, jams are usually a bit easier than jellies (and again
> freezer jams are a bit easier than those processed to be shelf-stable).
>
> Commercial pectin packets include a recipe sheet for a variety of jellies
> and jams, including freezer varieties. The Ball site,
> www.freshpreserving.com, gives recipes, as do the National Center for
> Home Preserving, http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/index.html, and the Kraft Foods
> site (they make Sure-Jell and Certo), http://www.kraftfoods.com/kf.

Hi Annie. Thanks for the additional URLs. I'll look at them later, too.

Yes. I actually mean jelly. They were clear and covered with a layer of
paraffin or beeswax. The blackberry jam was my favorite. I'll be interested
in reading about the freezer stuff.

Thanks again.

~Semper Fi~
Posted to rec.food.preserving

Brian Mailman > wrote:
> The Joneses wrote:
>
> > This cactus jelly was made from local prickly pears ("tunas"). The
> > color is fabulous, deep garnet, but the taste leaves a bit to be
> > desired.

There are over five dozen recipes for preserves, marmalades, chutneys and
syrups made from cactuses and succulents in "Cactus Cook Book", compiled by
Joyce L. Tate, 1991, and available from the Cactus & Succulent Society of
America at PO Box 35034, Des Moines IA 50315-0301. I think I ordered it
online, but don't remember where. Google, Amazon, et al, are our friends.
;-)

~Semper Fi~
Posted to rec.food.preserving

Melba's Jammin' > wrote:
> In article >,
> "clc" > wrote:
> > "Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message

> [ . . . ]
> Yup. Locally grown. Picked by someone else. If I pick them myself,
> the price goes to about half, guy said. It'd cost me that much in gas
> to pick the quantity I like at any given time. I don't want to be faced
> with a whole flat of strawberries at once. [ . . . ]

Several decades ago, a buddy of mine and I would make the run from
Hollywood to Garden Grove (30 or 40 miles?) and pick up a flat of delicious
strawberries from a friend of his. By the time we got back to Hollywood,
they were 1/2 gone. ;-ž

~Semper Fi~