Posted to rec.food.preserving

Default Brandied tangerines

It's tangerine crop time again and I'm at a loss for what to do with
them. I was thinking of making brandied tangerines to preserve them.

What I was thinking of doing is:

Peel the tangerines and place in large glass jars. I can't get canning
jars, but I can get the ones that look like the old bail sealed ones with
rubber gaskets. They are air tight, but not heat proof.

Slice peels into strips, place in pan and cover with water. Bring to
a boil and and add sugar. Stir until dissolved. Remove from heat and
allow to cool so that it will not break the glass.

Add peel, sugar suryp and brandy to the tangerines in the jars. Seal.
Tap on table to dislodge air bubbles.

Age for a few months at room temp (60f until end of April), then hotter.
I can also keep them in a refigerator (35-40F).

What I have no idea of is the proportions of water to brandy, and
sugar to water. I'd also prefer to use 95% grain alcohol instead of
brandy, it's 2/3 of the price. Maybe add wine or use the brandy as
flavoring, and the grain alcohol for preserving?

Thanks in advance,

Geoff.

IL Voice: (07)-7424-1667 Fax ONLY: 972-2-648-1443 U.S. Voice: 1-215-821-1838
Visit my 'blog at
http://geoffstechno.livejournal.com/
Posted to rec.food.preserving

"Geoffrey S. Mendelson" > wrote in message
> It's tangerine crop time again and I'm at a loss for what to do with
> them. I was thinking of making brandied tangerines to preserve them.
>
> What I was thinking of doing is:
> Peel the tangerines and place in large glass jars. I can't get canning
> jars, but I can get the ones that look like the old bail sealed ones with
> rubber gaskets. They are air tight, but not heat proof.
>
> Slice peels into strips, place in pan and cover with water. Bring to
> a boil and and add sugar. Stir until dissolved. Remove from heat and
> allow to cool so that it will not break the glass.
>
> Add peel, sugar suryp and brandy to the tangerines in the jars. Seal.
> Tap on table to dislodge air bubbles.
>
> Age for a few months at room temp (60f until end of April), then hotter.
> I can also keep them in a refigerator (35-40F).
>
> What I have no idea of is the proportions of water to brandy, and
> sugar to water. I'd also prefer to use 95% grain alcohol instead of
> brandy, it's 2/3 of the price. Maybe add wine or use the brandy as
> flavoring, and the grain alcohol for preserving?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Geoff.

This recipe of yours sounds interesting. Here in the USofA, we'll being
paying for citrus with our firstborn children - huge percent of California
crop ruined.
I've made lots of brandied cherries, pears, apples & blueberries. I made
the pear with apricot brandy and they were fab! I like the apples with
applejack. I found that grain alcohol has a very harsh taste - I wouldn't
use it. Use the brandy unless you're making barrels full, it will be worth
it in the end. Even cheap brandy might be okay. Or at the very least, use a
good quality vodka. And I would cook the peels gently until tender, in case
anybody gets the idea that one is supposed to eat them. And put that jar in
a bowl in case it oozes.
The Ball Blue book recipe for brandied pears is a good one:
10 pounds pears
4 cups water
6 cups sugar
3 cups brandy
Wash, peel, halve & core pears. Combine sugar & water, bring to boil. Cook
pears one layer at a time just until tender about 5 min. Place cooked pears
in a bowl, set aside. Continue cooking syrup until thickened, about 15 min.
Remove from heat, add brandy.
Note: use white brandy for clear syrup; however, any brandy will flavor the
fruit.
More directions for BWB processing (15 min per qt.)
HTH,
Edrena

Posted to rec.food.preserving

Geoffrey S. Mendelson wrote:

> It's tangerine crop time again and I'm at a loss for what to do with
> them. I was thinking of making brandied tangerines to preserve them.

I don't have the proportions either, but I believe it involves a
several-day process of soaking in a syrup and increasing the amount of
sugar in the syrup each day.

B/
Posted to rec.food.preserving

Brian Mailman wrote:

> I don't have the proportions either, but I believe it involves a
> several-day process of soaking in a syrup and increasing the amount of
> sugar in the syrup each day.

Ok, thanks.

Geoff.
IL Voice: (07)-7424-1667 Fax ONLY: 972-2-648-1443 U.S. Voice: 1-215-821-1838
Visit my 'blog at
http://geoffstechno.livejournal.com/
Posted to rec.food.preserving

The Joneses wrote:
Thanks.

> This recipe of yours sounds interesting. Here in the USofA, we'll being
> paying for citrus with our firstborn children - huge percent of California
> crop ruined.

We had snow here too, unusual, once every 5-7 years. It lasted a day
and was gone. We lost most of our crop in the north last August due
to rockets from Lebanon, something I hope you never have to experience.
Citrus fruit were gone from the markets for several months.

> I've made lots of brandied cherries, pears, apples & blueberries. I made
> the pear with apricot brandy and they were fab! I like the apples with
> applejack. I found that grain alcohol has a very harsh taste - I wouldn't
> use it. Use the brandy unless you're making barrels full, it will be worth
> it in the end. Even cheap brandy might be okay. Or at the very least, use a
> good quality vodka.

It was simple economics. I checked the price I paid and in dollars (for 750ml):
(approximate)

95% Grain alcohol $4 19 NIS (new Isaeli sheckels) @ 4.25 = $1
Cheap Brandy/vodka $8 38 NIS
"decent vodka" $11 50+ NIS

If I water the grain alcohol down with filtered water to 40 proof, it
equals $1 a fifth. Watered down, would it make that much of a difference?

> And I would cook the peels gently until tender, in case
> anybody gets the idea that one is supposed to eat them.

I eat them in Chinese food. Many people do and don't know it. If you go into
a chinese grocery, you find dried tangerine peels, but no dried orange peels.
Think about that the next time you eat Orange chicken. :-)

However, no one else in the house will eat it. Hot and sweet is not a
combination that anyone else in my family likes.

>And put that jar in a bowl in case it oozes.

Good idea. I had not thought of it.

> The Ball Blue book recipe for brandied pears is a good one:
> 10 pounds pears
> 4 cups water
> 6 cups sugar
> 3 cups brandy

Sounds good. I don't have a BBB, they are NOT available here. A friend is
scouting second hand sales in Colorado for me, she will probably bring
one for me in the Summer.

I was hoping she would get lucky and find one of each edition, I know,
dream on.....

> Wash, peel, halve & core pears. Combine sugar & water, bring to boil. Cook
> pears one layer at a time just until tender about 5 min. Place cooked pears
> in a bowl, set aside. Continue cooking syrup until thickened, about 15 min.
> Remove from heat, add brandy.
> Note: use white brandy for clear syrup; however, any brandy will flavor the
> fruit.

Simple enough, another recipe I found on line for generic brandied fruit
said one pound of sugar for each pound of fruit. Six cups of sugar is about
2.5 to 3 pounds, a lot less.

> More directions for BWB processing (15 min per qt.)

That might be the difference. If I want to not process it (lack of
suitable containers) then I need more sugar.

> HTH,

It sure does, thanks,

Geoff.

IL Voice: (07)-7424-1667 Fax ONLY: 972-2-648-1443 U.S. Voice: 1-215-821-1838
Visit my 'blog at
http://geoffstechno.livejournal.com/

Posted to rec.food.preserving

Geoffrey S. Mendelson wrote:

> Brian Mailman wrote:
>
>> I don't have the proportions either, but I believe it involves a
>> several-day process of soaking in a syrup and increasing the amount of
>> sugar in the syrup each day.

> Ok, thanks.

I believe the science of it is that eventually the water is forced out
of the citrus, thus "drying" it with sugar.

B/
Posted to rec.food.preserving

"Geoffrey S. Mendelson" > wrote in message
> The Joneses wrote:

> It was simple economics. I checked the price I paid and in dollars (for
> 750ml):
> (approximate)
> 95% Grain alcohol $4 19 NIS (new Isaeli sheckels) @ 4.25 = $1
> Cheap Brandy/vodka $8 38 NIS
> "decent vodka" $11 50+ NIS
> If I water the grain alcohol down with filtered water to 40 proof, it
> equals $1 a fifth. Watered down, would it make that much of a difference?

I think so. Make it half & half? Use port instead? That's about 40%, but
pretty strong flavor. Kind of difference between apple cider vinegar or
nice wine vinegar and the white grain vinegar.

>> And I would cook the peels gently ...

> I eat them in Chinese food. Many people do and don't know it. If you go
> into
> a chinese grocery, you find dried tangerine peels, but no dried orange
> peels.
> Think about that the next time you eat Orange chicken. :-)
> However, no one else in the house will eat it. Hot and sweet is not a
> combination that anyone else in my family likes.

I like that too! And it just means more for us!

> Sounds good. I don't have a BBB, they are NOT available here. A friend is
> scouting second hand sales in Colorado for me, she will probably bring
> one for me in the Summer.
> I was hoping she would get lucky and find one of each edition, I know,
> dream on.....

That's the book. Let us know what you would like and one of us like me
can ship it, probably cheaper than the company. Most companies charge
arms and legs for shipping. Do you have _Putting Food By_? Both these
texts are very informative. And I have some new copies of Joy of
Pickling which ran me about $12US a few years ago. And about
$5 postage for that size book. I looked it up. Consider it an investment.

>> Wash, peel, halve & core pears. Combine sugar & water, bring to boil.
>> Cook
>> pears one layer at a time just until tender about 5 min. Place cooked
>> pears
>> in a bowl, set aside. Continue cooking syrup until thickened, about 15
>> min.
>> Remove from heat, add brandy.
>> Note: use white brandy for clear syrup; however, any brandy will flavor
>> the
>> fruit.

> Simple enough, another recipe I found on line for generic brandied fruit
> said one pound of sugar for each pound of fruit. Six cups of sugar is
> about
> 2.5 to 3 pounds, a lot less.
>
>> More directions for BWB processing (15 min per qt.)

> That might be the difference. If I want to not process it (lack of
> suitable containers) then I need more sugar.
> It sure does, thanks,
> Geoff.

Posted to rec.food.preserving

The Joneses wrote:

> I think so. Make it half & half? Use port instead? That's about 40%, but
> pretty strong flavor. Kind of difference between apple cider vinegar or
> nice wine vinegar and the white grain vinegar.

I ended up with brandy. The guy that supplies me with groceries did not
have any and could not get it for this week. So I took two fifths
of brandy instead.

Port is also not an option. I probably could get something local to
replace it, I'll have to look. Whatever it is, it won't be cheap.

>> However, no one else in the house will eat it. Hot and sweet is not a
>> combination that anyone else in my family likes.

> I like that too! And it just means more for us!

Yes, but it hardly makes it worth it for me to cook it. About once a week
a make a dish for myself that no one eats. My middle son (11) complains
the loudest and often eats it anyway.

> That's the book. Let us know what you would like and one of us like me
> can ship it, probably cheaper than the company. Most companies charge
> arms and legs for shipping.

That's for sure. Amazon won't sell used books overseas, and the forwarding
agencies are expensive. Paying for things is difficult, we don't
have PayPal and the Post Office stopped selling money orders. They now
use Western Union which has a $25 minimum fee.

> Do you have _Putting Food By_?

It's one of my favorites. I lost my copy when I moved here and my wife
found a used copy here.

> Both these
> texts are very informative. And I have some new copies of Joy of
> Pickling which ran me about $12US a few years ago. And about
> $5 postage for that size book. I looked it up. Consider it an investment.

Thanks, email me off list, and I'll try to work something out. I appriciate
the offer, even if it never happens.

While I was cleaning the other day, I found a box of 12 Ball jars,
4 of them 1 pint, the rest 1/2 pint. Now all I need to do is to get someone
to stick some bands and lids in their luggage. :-)

Geoff.

IL Voice: (07)-7424-1667 Fax ONLY: 972-2-648-1443 U.S. Voice: 1-215-821-1838
Visit my 'blog at
http://geoffstechno.livejournal.com/
Posted to rec.food.preserving

Anny Middon wrote:
> You might also try abebooks.com. You can get a copy of the BB for 2.41USD
> from a bookseller in the UK who says they ship worldwide.
>
> You pay through Abebooks with a credit card. I've bought many books from
> them, and have been very pleased with the service.

Thansk, Geoff.

IL Voice: (07)-7424-1667 Fax ONLY: 972-2-648-1443 U.S. Voice: 1-215-821-1838
Visit my 'blog at
http://geoffstechno.livejournal.com/
Posted to rec.food.preserving

Geoffrey S. Mendelson wrote:
> It's tangerine crop time again and I'm at a loss for what to do with
> them. I was thinking of making brandied tangerines to preserve them.

Contining......

Like all great plans, it did not quite work out like I had planned. I
did not have enough jars, we could not find the gaskets, and the guy
that sells me my groceries did not have any grain alcohol.

So here's what I did anyway:

Tangerines:

I had two one gallon jars, in each I placed:

1 kilo sugar. (too much)
2 kilo tangerine segments.
1 liter brandy.

peels and liquid to fill, see below.

I sealed them with plastic wrap and rubber bands.

They are now aging in a refrigerator at near freezing.

The peels were cooked until soft in water.

I had a smaller (1/2 gallon?) jar. I filled it with peels. 1/2 kilo
of sugar and 1/2 liter of brandy. Filled to the top with the liquid.

I took the rest of the peels, 2 kilo of sugar and the remaining liquid.
I cooked them until the water was (almost) gone and I had canndied peels
and a thick suryp. I placed them in mason jars (no lids) and sealed with
plastic and rubber bands. They have sat overnight and have solidified.
Into the refigerator for them too.

I may have a lead on the lids for the peels/jelly. If I get them, should
I seal them, and BWB them? Here the water temp would only be 204F, not
212F. Or should I just leave them in the refrigerator?

I know there is too much sugar, because it has not dissolved.

Geoff.
IL Voice: (07)-7424-1667 Fax ONLY: 972-2-648-1443 U.S. Voice: 1-215-821-1838
Visit my 'blog at
http://geoffstechno.livejournal.com/
Posted to rec.food.preserving

Geoffrey S. Mendelson wrote:

> I know there is too much sugar, because it has not dissolved.

Patience.

In making cordials, involving dried fruit, vodka, and sugar it sometimes
takes a few weeks for the sugar to dissolve.

B/
Posted to rec.food.preserving

"Brian Mailman" > wrote in message
> Geoffrey S. Mendelson wrote:
>> I know there is too much sugar, because it has not dissolved.

> Patience.
> In making cordials, involving dried fruit, vodka, and sugar it sometimes
> takes a few weeks for the sugar to dissolve. B/

In making candied ginger, the recipe I use recommends a very small amount
of corn syrup. From the TV shows, it was explained that the syrup is a
different kind of sweet and its molecular makeup, even in a tablespoon
amount, would keep regular sugar from crystallizing in the final product.
Worth considering anyway. I actually like my candied ginger "crispy."
Mostlyyyyy. Damn cat. Supervising my computer time again.
Edrena
"Cat fur - the Other condiment!"

Posted to rec.food.preserving

The Joneses wrote:
> In making candied ginger, the recipe I use recommends a very small amount
> of corn syrup.

I never thought of that. I think it's available here.

Thanks, Geoff.

IL Voice: (07)-7424-1667 Fax ONLY: 972-2-648-1443 U.S. Voice: 1-215-821-1838
Visit my 'blog at
http://geoffstechno.livejournal.com/

Posted to rec.food.preserving

The Joneses wrote:

> "Brian Mailman" > wrote in message
>> Geoffrey S. Mendelson wrote:
>>> I know there is too much sugar, because it has not dissolved.

>> Patience.
>> In making cordials, involving dried fruit, vodka, and sugar it sometimes
>> takes a few weeks for the sugar to dissolve. B/

> In making candied ginger, the recipe I use recommends a very small amount
> of corn syrup. From the TV shows, it was explained that the syrup is a
> different kind of sweet

Yes, and the more I read about it, the more cautious I am about using
it. And anybody who knows me, knows I'm not the kind of guy to give in
to "food agendas" if you know what I mean. This from the American
Journal of Clinical Nutrition, not exactly a crank publication.
http://www.ajcn.org/cgi/content/full/76/5/911 You can google on "leptin
AND (corn syrup)" (without the quotes) for more, although some are
definitely a bit.... well you wonder that color the sky on their planet
is...

B/
Posted to rec.food.preserving

"Geoffrey S. Mendelson" > wrote in message
> Geoffrey S. Mendelson wrote:
>> It's tangerine crop time again and I'm at a loss for what to do with
>> them. I was thinking of making brandied tangerines to preserve them.

> Contining......
>
> Tangerines:
> I had two one gallon jars, in each I placed:
> Clipped recipe.
> Geoff.

How's it taste so far? I remember now esp. why not to use grain alcohol.
Couple years back, I made coffee liquor from a recipe in the Encyclopedia of
Herbs. Aged nearly a year. Easy recipe. I used grain alcohol instead of
vodka, thinking the higher alcohol would dissolve the essential solids
faster. Or something. It was tasty, but quite harsh, even with excellent
brand of espresso and 3, count'em, 3 vanilla beans. Which beans dissolved
nearly completely to mush.
Even after a year, was still harsh, although friend George may remember my
ensuing alcoholic group correspondence, heh, heh, heh. Whew, was very strong
stuff. Burned the memory clean outa mah head!
Edrena

Posted to rec.food.preserving

The Joneses wrote:
> "Geoffrey S. Mendelson" > wrote in message
>
>>Geoffrey S. Mendelson wrote:
>>
>>>It's tangerine crop time again and I'm at a loss for what to do with
>>>them. I was thinking of making brandied tangerines to preserve them.

>>Contining......
>>
>>Tangerines:
>>I had two one gallon jars, in each I placed:
>>Clipped recipe.
>>Geoff.

> How's it taste so far? I remember now esp. why not to use grain alcohol.
> Couple years back, I made coffee liquor from a recipe in the Encyclopedia of
> Herbs. Aged nearly a year. Easy recipe. I used grain alcohol instead of
> vodka, thinking the higher alcohol would dissolve the essential solids
> faster. Or something. It was tasty, but quite harsh, even with excellent
> brand of espresso and 3, count'em, 3 vanilla beans. Which beans dissolved
> nearly completely to mush.
> Even after a year, was still harsh, although friend George may remember my
> ensuing alcoholic group correspondence, heh, heh, heh. Whew, was very strong
> stuff. Burned the memory clean outa mah head!
> Edrena

You drink alcohol? You heathern, you and my wife could be best friends.
She finally drank up all the kumquat liquer I made a few years ago. 120
proof vodka almost dissolved the kumquats but it had a good odor and
flavor. I'm just kidding of course, she hardly ever drinks more than a
quart a day. <VBG>

George, who ruined his liver 30 years ago and CAN'T drink anymore

Sidenote: the kumquats are finally all gone. Between the two trees we
picked 7 5-gallon buckets of the things. Made a years worth of kumquat
marmalade, kumquat syrup, candied kumquats, sold some, gave a bunch
away, finally just dumped the last as they were drying up.

Member

Uday Group took off by Marketing / Indenting for two leading Cable, PTFE/TEFLON Cable, UNINYVIN CABLE/NYVIN Cable, RUBBER CABLE/SILICONE Cable & Wire Manufacturers in India,PTFE/TEFLON CABLE, PTFE/TEFLON CABLE Manufacturers, UNINYVIN CABLE/NYVIN CABLE, UNINYVIN CABLE/NYVIN CABLE Manufacturers, RUBBER CABLE/SILICONE CABLE, RUBBER CABLE/SILICONE CABLE Manufacturers and Exporters in India
Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoffrey S. Mendelson View Post
[...]

Geoff's Techno Blog
Geoff,

I would hesitate to use a higher proof alcohol primarily because all you will taste is alcohol, and the citrus flavour of the tangerines will be lost.

If you are refrigerating your brandy tangerines then you have more flexibility to fiddle with proportions than if you are attempting to process a product so it is shelf stable. If you want shelf stable, then you need to pay attention to the alcohol levels. (Science test proportions are provided below). Alcohol boils at a lower temperature than water - and so if you have a high volume of alcohol, it may prevent your product from reaching temperatures required to kill off pathogenic bacteria, yeast and molds (190F). Two things mitigate against this in your favour. 1) The high acidity of your fruit which prevents bacterial regeneration. It may not prevent yeast growth however - so if you have not destroyed the yeast initially, it can ferment in your jars - especially in jars with those rubber gaskets and clamps. Fermenting fruit produces gas that can cause your jars to explode. Your other option (a better one) is to simply refrigerate your product. Cool storage temperature slows microbial growth.

You also need to know that sugar is NOT a preservative unless your product is at least 65% sugar - as in a traditional, slow cooked, full sugar jam. Sugar (and salt) in very very high levels does make water less available to bacteria (referred to water activity). At lower levels, sugar (or salt) can be depended on to add flavour only, not to act as a preservative on their own.

Allowing your product to cool after cooking is unnecessary. Food prepared in jars should be transferred quickly from hot pot to hot jars. Food that cools is an inviting place for air-born bacteria, yeast and molds to settle. Warming up your jars first reduces the risk of thermal shock that results in jar breakage. Immerse your jars in hot water and remove them from the hot water moments before filling them with hot product.

Science-tested proportions (given here in cups/ml) a
4 cups (1000 ml) granulated sugar
3 cups (750 ml) water (i'd use distilled if your local water is very hard)
2 kg fruit
1 cup (250 ml) brandy (40 proof).

hope this helps. Good luck!