Posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.food.preserving

Default Japanese persimmons

Anyone have any ideas about what to do with these things. My DIL's
neighbor has given her loads of the things and she is bringing them
with her when they come to visit next week. Help!!!
--
Susan N.

Posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.food.preserving

The Cook wrote:
> Anyone have any ideas about what to do with these things. My DIL's
> neighbor has given her loads of the things and she is bringing them
> with her when they come to visit next week. Help!!!

If they're Fuyu's you can eat them out of hand like an apple. If they're
the heart shaped kind they have to be dead ripe to eat. My wife freezes
the whole fruit in a muffin tin, takes one at a time out to thaw and
then eats it partially thawed, like persimmon sherbet.

There are a million persimmon recipes on the web. I've downloaded
recipes for simmon pie, cake, cookies, etc. I particularly like the
simmon pie my wife makes with them. Very versatile fruit, the round
Fuyu's have a sweet taste and the heart shaped ones are somewhat
astringent until fully ripe. I put up persimmon jam one year that was
particularly good. Unfortunately my Fuyu tree sets a ton of fruit and
the !@#$% squirrels and grackles get them all. This year I've purchased
bird netting for all four of my fruit trees, the birds and squirrels
evidently don't like citrus as they never bother the lemon or the
kumquat trees. Good luck with them.

George

Posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.food.preserving

Persimmons are delicious. I would add them to pound cake, or to any
other cake mix, even if you use boxed cake mix. They make cakes moist
and tasty.

Becca
Posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.food.preserving

The Cook wrote:
> Anyone have any ideas about what to do with these things. My DIL's
> neighbor has given her loads of the things and she is bringing them
> with her when they come to visit next week. Help!!!
> --
> Susan N.

I knew a guy who ate them. Try.

Posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.food.preserving

The Cook wrote:
> Anyone have any ideas about what to do with these things. My DIL's
> neighbor has given her loads of the things and she is bringing them
> with her when they come to visit next week. Help!!!
> --
> Susan N.

I knew a guy who ate them. Try.

Posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.food.preserving

The Cook wrote:
> Anyone have any ideas about what to do with these things. My DIL's
> neighbor has given her loads of the things and she is bringing them
> with her when they come to visit next week. Help!!!
> --
> Susan N.

I knew a guy who ate them. Try.

Posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.food.preserving

The Cook wrote:
> Anyone have any ideas about what to do with these things. My DIL's
> neighbor has given her loads of the things and she is bringing them
> with her when they come to visit next week. Help!!!
> --
> Susan N.

I knew a guy who ate them. Try.

Posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.food.preserving

The Cook wrote:
> Anyone have any ideas about what to do with these things. My DIL's
> neighbor has given her loads of the things and she is bringing them
> with her when they come to visit next week. Help!!!
> --
> Susan N.

I knew a guy who ate them. Try.

Posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.food.preserving

The Cook wrote:
> Anyone have any ideas about what to do with these things. My DIL's
> neighbor has given her loads of the things and she is bringing them
> with her when they come to visit next week. Help!!!
> --
> Susan N.

I knew a guy who ate them. Try.

Posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.food.preserving

The Cook wrote:
> Anyone have any ideas about what to do with these things. My DIL's
> neighbor has given her loads of the things and she is bringing them
> with her when they come to visit next week. Help!!!

Have you tried http://www.persimmonpudding.com? It looks like a new
site. But, I recently used a couple recipes from that site and they
were quite good.

Posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.food.preserving

George Shirley wrote:
> The Cook wrote:
> > Anyone have any ideas about what to do with these things. My DIL's
> > neighbor has given her loads of the things and she is bringing them
> > with her when they come to visit next week. Help!!!

> If they're Fuyu's you can eat them out of hand like an apple. If they're
> the heart shaped kind they have to be dead ripe to eat. My wife freezes
> the whole fruit in a muffin tin, takes one at a time out to thaw and
> then eats it partially thawed, like persimmon sherbet.

The heart-shaped kind are Hachiya's. As he says they have to be dead
ripe to eat. Do not eat any of the peel - even if you think they are
dead ripe. It contains most of the astringent and you will *never*
forget the experience.

Lessons from a former Hachiya tree owner,
Susan B.

Posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.food.preserving

sueb wrote:
> George Shirley wrote:
>> The Cook wrote:
>>> Anyone have any ideas about what to do with these things. My DIL's
>>> neighbor has given her loads of the things and she is bringing them
>>> with her when they come to visit next week. Help!!!

>> If they're Fuyu's you can eat them out of hand like an apple. If they're
>> the heart shaped kind they have to be dead ripe to eat. My wife freezes
>> the whole fruit in a muffin tin, takes one at a time out to thaw and
>> then eats it partially thawed, like persimmon sherbet.
>>

> The heart-shaped kind are Hachiya's. As he says they have to be dead
> ripe to eat. Do not eat any of the peel - even if you think they are
> dead ripe. It contains most of the astringent and you will *never*
> forget the experience.

Or you can anaerobically ripen them and not worry about all
that. Wrap them in two or three layers of plastic wrap and
hold them at about 100F for 24 hours. That will almost
always ripen any persimmon, cultivated or wild. If it hasn't
after the time, do it for another 24. I use a heating pad in
my turned-off oven for the task. In Japan, they ripen them
in sealed sake barrels where evaporating alcohol from the
wood creates an atmosphere low in oxygen.

Pastorio
Posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.food.preserving

Bob (this one) wrote:

> ... In Japan, they ripen them in sealed sake barrels where
> evaporating alcohol from the wood creates an atmosphere low in
> oxygen.

In Japan, they dry them. Dried persimmons are a specialty particular to
Hisamatsu; and I've seen pictures of every house having racks and racks
and racks of them.

B/