FoodBanter.com

-   Preserving (https://www.foodbanter.com/preserving/)
-   -   Apples, what to do? (https://www.foodbanter.com/preserving/100932-apples-what-do.html)

Denise~* 11-09-2006 05:12 AM

Apples, what to do?

I have some transparent yellow apples (soft kind), but don't feel like
making boring applesauce or apple butter. does anyody have any other
ideas of what I could do with them? For preserving that is.

11-09-2006 05:31 AM

Apples, what to do?

"Denise~*" > wrote in message
oups.com...
>I have some transparent yellow apples (soft kind), but don't feel like
> making boring applesauce or apple butter. does anyody have any other
> ideas of what I could do with them? For preserving that is.

Yippee! Brandied apples. With or without extra spices.
Apple juice. I love apple cider, too, even better than the juice.
Tippledrena

Denise~* 11-09-2006 06:40 AM

Apples, what to do?

wrote:
> "Denise~*" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
> >I have some transparent yellow apples (soft kind), but don't feel like
> > making boring applesauce or apple butter. does anyody have any other
> > ideas of what I could do with them? For preserving that is.
> >

> Yippee! Brandied apples. With or without extra spices.

recipe?

Wm Watt 11-09-2006 05:21 PM

Apples, what to do?

I'd suggest frozen apple slices. I put 2 cups at a time into a plastic
sandwich bag and put all those into one big bag in the freezer. Very
convenient for making apple crisp on a winter's evening. About 5 min to
mix the ingredients and 13 min cook in the microwave. Many a time my
dog an I shared one of these. I get them all to myself now and they
last me a couple of days. Also good for apple pies if one wants to take
the time.

ellen wickberg 11-09-2006 09:23 PM

Apples, what to do?

Denise~* wrote:
> wrote:
>
>>"Denise~*" > wrote in message
groups.com...

>>>I have some transparent yellow apples (soft kind), but don't feel like
>>>making boring applesauce or apple butter. does anyody have any other
>>>ideas of what I could do with them? For preserving that is.
>>>

>>Yippee! Brandied apples. With or without extra spices.

> recipe?
>

>>Apple juice. I love apple cider, too, even better than the juice.
>>Tippledrena

Apple cranberry chutney? I think I have a recipe. However if yellow
transparents are as soft as green ones, I don't think it would work.
How about adding a very strong tasting fruit and making a paste or
cheese, like quince or guava paste. You serve those in small pieces,
with or without cheese, as a dessert.
Ellen

Kathi Jones 11-09-2006 09:43 PM

Apples, what to do?

"Wm Watt" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> I'd suggest frozen apple slices. I put 2 cups at a time into a plastic
> sandwich bag and put all those into one big bag in the freezer. Very
> convenient for making apple crisp on a winter's evening. About 5 min to
> mix the ingredients and 13 min cook in the microwave. Many a time my
> dog an I shared one of these. I get them all to myself now and they
> last me a couple of days. Also good for apple pies if one wants to take
> the time.

Oh, William! Sounds like you need to get another dog!

;-)

Kathi

great idea, btw