Alice B. Toklas te amo, estilo Oaxaqueno

Old 28-01-2006, 01:46 AM posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking
Usenet poster

Default Alice B. Toklas te amo, estilo Oaxaqueno

Yerbabuena used in Oaxacan cooking?

III. Los mezcaleros saborean un caldo de pata de res "con su mezcal".
Su secreto:
Un caldo de gallina criolla criada en casa servido con yerbabuena,
cilantro y chile rebanado, o huevos revueltos en salsa de chile
taviche, acompañados de tlayudas y rematados con un trago largo de
mezcal.

III The mezcaleros savor a broth of leg of beef"with their mezcal". Its
secret: A broth of homemade Creole hen served with marijuana, cilantro
and sliced chile, or scrambled eggs in sauce of chile taviche,
accompanied by tlayudas and finished off with a long drink of mezcal

Dang it! I ate a Oaxacan tlayuda once, on the corner Hollywood and
Western, but I didn't know to ask for yerbabuena to flavor it...

Old 29-01-2006, 02:39 AM posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

Alfred J. wrote:
Yerbabuena used in Oaxacan cooking?

III. Los mezcaleros saborean un caldo de pata de res "con su mezcal".
Su secreto:
Un caldo de gallina criolla criada en casa servido con yerbabuena,
cilantro y chile rebanado, o huevos revueltos en salsa de chile
taviche, acompañados de tlayudas y rematados con un trago largo de
mezcal.

III The mezcaleros savor a broth of leg of beef"with their mezcal". Its
secret: A broth of homemade Creole hen served with marijuana, cilantro
and sliced chile, or scrambled eggs in sauce of chile taviche,
accompanied by tlayudas and finished off with a long drink of mezcal

Dang it! I ate a Oaxacan tlayuda once, on the corner Hollywood and
Western, but I didn't know to ask for yerbabuena to flavor it...

Yuck! Weed not only smells nasty it tastes even worse. By the way, what
happened to the beef? What cut of meat is the leg anyway? I don't have
any pot big enough to fit a cow leg in. (Pun intended.)

Old 29-01-2006, 03:48 PM posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

Sonoran Dude wrote:
Alfred J. wrote:
Yerbabuena used in Oaxacan cooking?

Yuck! Weed not only smells nasty it tastes even worse.

Sugar and spice would cover up the taste, but not the texture. In an
Alice B. Toklas chocolate brownie, weed is crunchy and the abdominal
"high" sneaks up on you.

By the way, what happened to the beef?

I don't know, the website was about how mezcal is grown and how
authentic mezcal can only be made in certain regions under controlled
brand names. Then they got off into the business of happy hour in
Oaxaca, and what ethnic snacks are consumed with mezcal before taking
the siesta.

http://www.diasiete.com.mx/nota.cfm?...nfo1&s=1,28,19

En este rincón vallesano, a la vera del fogón, sobre una mesa con
bancas rústicas, la clientela acompaña botanas y platillos con
aromático mezcal afrutado. La costumbre, ilustra tía Débora, es que
los comensales aparezcan pasado el mediodía para abrir con un
aperitivo que incluye: chicharrón de cerdo, porciones de quesillo,
chapulines y gusanos de maguey o belatobes (zapoteco), tostaditas con
guacamole y pasta de frijol, y caldillo de frijol con yerba de conejo o
chochoyote, acompañados de sal de gusano de maguey y una copa de
mezcal.

Gusanos de maguey sound yummy.

Babelfish says:

In this vallesano corner, to the side of the furnace, on a table with
rustic benches, the customer accompanies cocktail snacks and subjects
of gossip with aromatic afrutado mezcal. The custom, illustrates aunt
Débora, is that the companions at table appear after noon to open with
a appetizer that she includes: chicharrón of pig, portions of
quesillo, chapulines and worms of maguey or belatobes (zapoteco),
tostaditas with guacamole and paste of frijol, and thin sauce of frijol
with rabbit grass or chochoyote, accompanied by salt of maguey worm and
a glass of mezcal.

What cut of meat is the leg anyway

I suppose it's really the thigh of a cow.

I don't have any pot big enough to fit a cow leg in. (Pun intended.)

No pot is required for the cooking, just for flavor enhancement. If
you're cooking meat in an earthen "pib", just dig a hole and line it
with hot rocks, throw in the meat and pour some water in and quickly
cover the hole with branches and banana leaves and earth and go drink a
bunch of cerveza and mezcal and come back in a few hours to dig up
dinner.