Habanero Pepper Sauce

Old 08-03-2008, 08:07 PM posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

Default Habanero Pepper Sauce

Habanero Pepper Sauce

8 to 12 Habaneros
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
2 onions, diced
2 ripe mangoes or papayas,
skinned, seeded, and diced to 1/2 inch
6 carrots, diced
2 Chayote squashes, peeled and diced
12 pimento (allspice) berries
10 whole black peppercorns
4 thyme sprigs
1 ounce ginger root, finely diced
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup cider or othervinegar

In a nonreactive pot, heat the oil. Saute the onions until they are
translucent but not brown. Add the mangoes or papayas, carrots, squash,
pimento berries, peppercorns, thyme, and ginger. Saute the mixture 5
minutes, stirring constantly. Add the sugar and habaneros peppers. When the
sugar has become syrupy, add the vinegar, and cook until the carrots are
soft, about 5 to 10 more minutes.
Puree the mixture in a blender, and strain it. Store it in a tightly closed
bottle in the refrigerator.

Old 30-03-2008, 04:55 PM posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

Gunner wrote:
[...]

Where did you get this one? I'm trying to figure out the chayote
squash... is that to control the heat?
Old 30-03-2008, 07:05 PM posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

"Sonoran Dude" wrote in message
. ..
Gunner wrote:
[...]

Caribbean,(Habs, Allspice and Ginger are some Caribe clues) I believe the
squash is more so an extender and keeping it a bit less a hot fruit sauce
than for heat control.

This is really good on grilled white proteins like fish, chicken and pork.