William Jennings

Default ~Biscochas~

From a small 1947 Brownsville, Texas shrimper's cookbook:

~Biscochas~

1/2 pound cheese, grated
1/2 pound Masa
Salt to taste
Enough sour milk to make a stiff dough.

Mix togther and add enough sour milk to make a stiff dough the
consistency of drop biscuits. Drop and bake on greased banana leaf or
in a well-greased pan in hot oven 30 minutes.

I made these today using "Maseca" a brand name instant corn masa mix,
Gouda Goat Cheese (because I had it) and buttermilk. In the course of
making several small batchs of chili gravy today I gave some away and
the kids (my victims)
seemed to really like these little masa corn-cakes. I will make them
again to go with fried fish.

Doc