Harold D. Thomas

Default Avoid the Machitos from HEB/Cabrito Market

I must say this does "NOT" sound very appetizing at all. It reminds me of a
dish my Grandmother use to make called Haggis.

Harold

"Chicken Lips" > wrote in message
news
> I finally got around to buying a couple of those "Machitos" sold at a
> few of the local HEB's for $2.77/lb. They come from the Cabrito
> Market in Mission, TX.
>
> They're intestines wrapped around thick caul fat (omental fat),
> wrapped around chopped heart and liver. They're made entirely of lamb
> and/or goat according to the ingredients. They weigh about 1lb each
> and could be mistaken for large, short penises of unknown origin.
>
> The intestines (1/4" wide) are wrapped in a spiral fassion, probably
> about 2 feet all together. They did indeed crisp up in the oven at
> 350 for 1.5 hours (as they directions indicated), but not all the fat
> rendered out. The liver was way too strong and had a nasty, pudding
> texture. The taste of lamb was very faint - I would have guessed I
> was eating pork if I didn't already know the ingredients.
>
> Bottom line - if there was no liver and they cost $1.50/lb or less, I
> might buy tham again. But the liver taste and texture was just too
> overpowering. Don't look for them anytime soon, and if you do happen
> to see them, run. They seem to be a local invention of some sort;
> Some kind of sick tex-mex joke.
>
> [cross-posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking]
>
> -sw

Ping: Cabrito or whoever you are... Julie Bove[_2_] General Cooking 28 22-05-2015 03:34 AM
Cabrito asado Cabrito del Bosque General Cooking 0 14-05-2015 10:00 PM
Cabrito asado Cabrito del Bosque Barbecue 0 14-05-2015 10:00 PM
Cabrito frohe[_2_] Barbecue 44 06-11-2008 03:38 AM
OT - 99 cent store (was Cabrito) Janet Wilder[_1_] Barbecue 2 26-09-2008 05:51 AM