Can you freeze guacamole?

Old 12-10-2003, 08:16 PM
Frogleg
Usenet poster

Default Can you freeze guacamole?

On Fri, 1 Aug 2003 21:35:28 -0500, "Jack Sloan"
wrote:

"Steve Wertz" wrote

"Allen Lydick" wrote:

Most guacamole is sold frozen.

Most guacamole is made fresh.

I had occasion to freeze gaucamole since this thread started. All the
chunks lost their texture, bascially I ended up with a puree. Not
real gucamole anymore, IMHO.

Guacamole that has been frozen and thawed is no longer guacamole , but
sometimes it's not bad " avocado dip."

Still, it's not something to take to a party unless the competition is
Lipton onion soup dip and 'cocktail' sausage in BBQ sauce. Avocado
doesn't take kindly to freezing at any stage.
Old 13-10-2003, 08:07 PM
Wayne Lundberg
Usenet poster

In all honesty I have not seen frozen guacamole in any of my local stores. I
do see refrigerated, de-oxydated packaged guacamole. The trick is to keep it
cool and without contact with the air. There is a plant in Tijuana that
receives the best avocados from the interior of Mexico, then take the pit
and outside skin and pull a hard vacuum and chill the package for transport
to the aguacate processor in LA - Felix - who then keep it cool and deliver
to markets throughout California. Good stuff! Never frozen. Vacuum packed
and chilled will keep for about a week.

Wayne

Old 15-10-2003, 02:54 AM
BCBPROJXX
Usenet poster

Hello,
Actually you can freeze it depending on what you've added to the avocados.
I would not store it for more than a month or two.

Barbara
GourmetSleuth.com http://www.gourmetsleuth.com
The gourmet food and cooking resource

Old 20-10-2003, 03:02 AM
Paull
Usenet poster

I've seen frozoen guacamole on our local Walmart all the time.
No telling what's in it...
Old 02-11-2003, 03:09 AM
TPhil
Usenet poster

There's a very good frozen guac. sold in Sam's Club made by Delimex. It's as
about authentic as you can get in a frozen format.

Much better than the Avo-King or other's you see in the grocery store.

Old 02-11-2003, 05:54 PM
Linda
Usenet poster

Yes, I've bought that guacamole at Sam's and it is very good.

Linda
(back from R&R)