A1 WBarfieldsr

Default Old Fashion Biscuits

Old Fashion Biscuits

2 cups All-Purpose flour
2 Tbls. baking powder
1/2 Tsp. salt
1/2 cup lard
2/3 cup buttermilk

Preheat oven to 450 F.
Put 2 Tbls. lard in a skillet and get it hot; grease the sides.
Stir together the flour, baking powder, and salt.
Cut in the lard until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
Make a well in the center.
Pour the buttermilk in all at once.
Stir just until dough clings together.
Knead gently on a lightly floured surface for 10-12 strokes.
Roll or pat to 1/2-1 inch thickness.
Cut with a 2 1/2 inch biscuit cutter or big mouth jar, dipping the cutter
into flour before each cut.
Transfer to the hot greased skillet, covering each biscuit with a thin
coating of melted lard.
Bake in a 450 F. oven for 10-15 minutes, or until golden.
Makes: 10-12 biscuits.
Serve steaming hot with sweet butter and your favorite jam.

--
William Barfieldsr

Linda

Look Mr. A1, I'm not trying to be rude or anything, but there are several
groups that would be more appropriate for this recipe.
Try rec.food.cooking or alt.recipes, which are a couple. Honestly "Old
Fashion Biscuites" are somewhat out of place here.

Linda

"A1 WBarfieldsr" > wrote in message
.. .
> Old Fashion Biscuits
>
> 2 cups All-Purpose flour
> 2 Tbls. baking powder
> 1/2 Tsp. salt
> 1/2 cup lard
> 2/3 cup buttermilk
>
> Preheat oven to 450 F.
> Put 2 Tbls. lard in a skillet and get it hot; grease the sides.
> Stir together the flour, baking powder, and salt.
> Cut in the lard until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
> Make a well in the center.
> Pour the buttermilk in all at once.
> Stir just until dough clings together.
> Knead gently on a lightly floured surface for 10-12 strokes.
> Roll or pat to 1/2-1 inch thickness.
> Cut with a 2 1/2 inch biscuit cutter or big mouth jar, dipping the cutter
> into flour before each cut.
> Transfer to the hot greased skillet, covering each biscuit with a thin
> coating of melted lard.
> Bake in a 450 F. oven for 10-15 minutes, or until golden.
> Makes: 10-12 biscuits.
> Serve steaming hot with sweet butter and your favorite jam.
>
> --
> William Barfieldsr

Dimitri

"Linda" > wrote in message
> Look Mr. A1, I'm not trying to be rude or anything, but there are several
> groups that would be more appropriate for this recipe.
> Try rec.food.cooking or alt.recipes, which are a couple. Honestly "Old
> Fashion Biscuites" are somewhat out of place here.
>
> Linda

I think you're supposed to add some chopped green peppers - Doesn't that
mak'em Mexican?

Dimitri

William Jennings

Along the Tex-Mex Boarder Plex, old fashion biscuits as described in the
post are often found in panderies beside sweet anise molletes, bolillos,
pumpkin empanaditas and a multitude of exuberantly colored pasteles.

doc

"Dimitri" > wrote in message
m...

> "Linda" > wrote in message
> > Look Mr. A1, I'm not trying to be rude or anything, but there are

several
> > groups that would be more appropriate for this recipe.
> > Try rec.food.cooking or alt.recipes, which are a couple. Honestly "Old
> > Fashion Biscuites" are somewhat out of place here.
> >
> > Linda

> I think you're supposed to add some chopped green peppers - Doesn't that
> mak'em Mexican?
>
> Dimitri

The Ranger

Dimitri > wrote in message
m asked Linda
> after she wrote in message
> > Look Mr. A1, I'm not trying to be rude or anything, but there
> > are several groups that would be more appropriate for this
> > recipe. Try rec.food.cooking or alt.recipes, which are a couple.
> > Honestly "Old Fashion Biscuites" are somewhat out of place
> > here.
> >

> I think you're supposed to add some chopped green peppers -
> Doesn't that mak'em Mexican?

Only if they're from El Paso cans.

The Ranger

William Jennings

The name "Old Fashion Biscuits" is misdirecting. Had it been "Vieja Manera
Biscuites" they would have passed without notice. :-)

doc

"William Jennings" > wrote in message
> Along the Tex-Mex Boarder Plex, old fashion biscuits as described in the
> post are often found in panderies beside sweet anise molletes, bolillos,
> pumpkin empanaditas and a multitude of exuberantly colored pasteles.
>
> doc
>

> "Dimitri" > wrote in message
> m...
> >
> > "Linda" > wrote in message
> > > Look Mr. A1, I'm not trying to be rude or anything, but there are

> several
> > > groups that would be more appropriate for this recipe.
> > > Try rec.food.cooking or alt.recipes, which are a couple. Honestly

"Old
> > > Fashion Biscuites" are somewhat out of place here.
> > >
> > > Linda

> > I think you're supposed to add some chopped green peppers - Doesn't

that
> > mak'em Mexican?
> >
> > Dimitri

Douglas S. Ladden

The Terran carbon-based unit designating itself as "William Jennings"
> shared its ideas in alt.food.mexican-cooking on
Tue, 07 Oct 2003 02:37:50 GMT:

> The name "Old Fashion Biscuits" is misdirecting. Had it been "Vieja
> Manera Biscuites" they would have passed without notice. :-)

Not with buttermilk they wouldn't have. I have yet to find
buttermilk in Mexico. Even though I'm fairly sure it can be found
somewhere these days.

--Douglas
Linda

"Dimitri" > wrote in message
m...

> "Linda" > wrote in message
> > Look Mr. A1, I'm not trying to be rude or anything, but there are

several
> > groups that would be more appropriate for this recipe.
> > Try rec.food.cooking or alt.recipes, which are a couple. Honestly "Old
> > Fashion Biscuites" are somewhat out of place here.
> >
> > Linda

> I think you're supposed to add some chopped green peppers - Doesn't that
> mak'em Mexican?
>
> Dimitri

Maybe, they might be more Mexican if made in Mexico by a Mexican tho', maybe
add a
spot of Cheeze Whiz with a Rotel tomato dip

Linda

William Jennings

Correct, you wouldn't find buttermilk biscuits in Mexico proper. The
buttermilk biscuits I mentioned are found along the boarder land of Tex-Mex.

Buttermilk (jocoque) was hard to find in Mexico when I lived there but today
the H.E.B stores in Northern Mexico
do carry buttermilk. Last time I was in Monterrey I found General Foods
"Cafe Vienna" in the grocery stores. The day
I returned I found canned Goya "Huitacoche" in the grocery store here. Come
to think of it, when I lived in Mexico milk
was hard to find outside the larger cities.... but that was some time ago.

doc

"Douglas S. Ladden" > wrote in message
6...
> The Terran carbon-based unit designating itself as "William Jennings"
> > shared its ideas in alt.food.mexican-cooking on
> Tue, 07 Oct 2003 02:37:50 GMT:
>
> > The name "Old Fashion Biscuits" is misdirecting. Had it been "Vieja
> > Manera Biscuites" they would have passed without notice. :-)
> >

> Not with buttermilk they wouldn't have. I have yet to find
> buttermilk in Mexico. Even though I'm fairly sure it can be found
> somewhere these days.
>
> --Douglas

David Wright

On Tue, 7 Oct 2003 06:42:46 -0700, "Linda" >
wrote:

>"Dimitri" > wrote in message
om...

>> I think you're supposed to add some chopped green peppers - Doesn't that
>> mak'em Mexican?
>>
>> Dimitri
>>

>Maybe, they might be more Mexican if made in Mexico by a Mexican tho', maybe
>add a
>spot of Cheeze Whiz with a Rotel tomato dip
>
>Linda

Don't forget the *guac*!

David

A1 WBarfieldsr

"William Jennings" > wrote in message
> The name "Old Fashion Biscuits" is misdirecting. Had it been "Vieja

Manera
> Biscuites" they would have passed without notice. :-)
>
> doc
>
> "William Jennings" > wrote in message
> > Along the Tex-Mex Boarder Plex, old fashion biscuits as described in

the
> > post are often found in panderies beside sweet anise molletes,

bolillos,
> > pumpkin empanaditas and a multitude of exuberantly colored pasteles.
> >
> > doc
> >

> > "Dimitri" > wrote in message
> > m...
> > >
> > > "Linda" > wrote in message

> > several

Linda and Dimitri, I'm sure you think you 're speaking for the Millions of
people in Mexico, when you say not one person living in Mexico would ever
make biscuits because the recipe called for buttermilk. I also think you
believe the Mexican people are so stupid that they couldn't think to use
fresh milk or canned milk instead of buttermilk. I even think you believe,
that they don't even make biscuits in Mexico, especially the thousands of
people that have lived in the US and now live in Mexico. I was also
informed in an earlier post that if it is made in Mexico it has to be an
Authentic Mexican dish. As far as you not wanting to be rude or anything, I
believe you know what you were trying to be. If you believe the recipe is
not something you would make then don't make it, KISS. In fact don't even
read it. Pretend it is an advertisement for a Porn flick, unless your into
that kind of thing. I almost would bet not a single Mexican would fry up
some potatoes then throw some chorizo in the skillet with a couple of
chiles and then scramble some eggs with it and pour the eggs over those
biscuits. I guess ice cold milk to wash it down with is totally out of the
question.
--
William Barfieldsr

Linda

"David Wright" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 7 Oct 2003 06:42:46 -0700, "Linda" >
> wrote:
>
> >"Dimitri" > wrote in message
> om...

> >> I think you're supposed to add some chopped green peppers - Doesn't

that
> >> mak'em Mexican?
> >>
> >> Dimitri
> >>

> >Maybe, they might be more Mexican if made in Mexico by a Mexican tho',

maybe
> >add a
> >spot of Cheeze Whiz with a Rotel tomato dip
> >
> >Linda

> Don't forget the *guac*!
>
> David
> \

I almost forgot, how many *guacs* do we need?

Linda

William Jennings

"A1 WBarfieldsr" > wrote in message
.. .

< Snip>

I guess ice cold milk to wash it down with is totally out of the
> question.

Nope, Jose Lopez was the lone mexican who ate that ugly buttermilk biscuit
served in La Pesca, Mexico circa 1986. Laura Esquivel, reported he had it
with "café con leche." :-)

All one needs consider is the amount of homemade cheese we find in Mexico
and the fact Mexicans in the country seldom waste anything. Food is very
regional throughout Mexico. In and around Rio Soto and south to Largo
Catamaco armadillo
tacos were often found in small villages. I got to like them before I found
out what it was. The goat cheese made on those remote ranches near Real de
Catorce I have yet to find anywhere along the boarder.

This reminds me of a gruel I'll never forget from the 70's in El Paso del
Toro, made with chicken broth and corn meal of which I've never seen a
recipe. It was just called _Olla_, just really good chicken broth with
corn meal to thicken. This is great in a thermos on a cold day fishing.

doc :-)

P.S. Anyone reading this post ought to know I was snacking on Wasabi Peas
during the commission of this message.

Douglas S. Ladden

The Terran carbon-based unit designating itself as "Linda"
> shared its ideas in alt.food.mexican-cooking on
Tue, 07 Oct 2003 22:00:10 GMT:

> "David Wright" > wrote in message
>> On Tue, 7 Oct 2003 06:42:46 -0700, "Linda" >
>> wrote:
>>
>> >"Dimitri" > wrote in message
>> om...

Doesn't
> that

>> >Maybe, they might be more Mexican if made in Mexico by a Mexican

tho',
> maybe
>> >add a
>> >spot of Cheeze Whiz with a Rotel tomato dip
>> >
>> >Linda

>> Don't forget the *guac*!
>>
>> David
>> \

> I almost forgot, how many *guacs* do we need?

I think it depends on whether they are adult *guacs* or baby
*guacs*.

--Douglas
DesertDad

"Linda" > wrote in message
> Look Mr. A1, I'm not trying to be rude or anything, but there are several
> groups that would be more appropriate for this recipe.
> Try rec.food.cooking or alt.recipes, which are a couple. Honestly "Old
> Fashion Biscuites" are somewhat out of place here.
>
> Linda
>
> "A1 WBarfieldsr" > wrote in message
> .. .
> > Old Fashion Biscuits
> >
> > 2 cups All-Purpose flour
> > 2 Tbls. baking powder
> > 1/2 Tsp. salt
> > 1/2 cup lard
> > 2/3 cup buttermilk
> >
> > Preheat oven to 450 F.
> > Put 2 Tbls. lard in a skillet and get it hot; grease the sides.
> > Stir together the flour, baking powder, and salt.
> > Cut in the lard until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
> > Make a well in the center.
> > Pour the buttermilk in all at once.
> > Stir just until dough clings together.
> > Knead gently on a lightly floured surface for 10-12 strokes.
> > Roll or pat to 1/2-1 inch thickness.
> > Cut with a 2 1/2 inch biscuit cutter or big mouth jar, dipping the

cutter
> > into flour before each cut.
> > Transfer to the hot greased skillet, covering each biscuit with a thin
> > coating of melted lard.
> > Bake in a 450 F. oven for 10-15 minutes, or until golden.
> > Makes: 10-12 biscuits.
> > Serve steaming hot with sweet butter and your favorite jam.
> >
> > --
> > William Barfieldsr

I agree with Linda,,, I also appreciate those posts where the author has
really made the item and not just clip out of some newspaper because it
looks good.

Irma

Hi Linda;

This Biscuits are part of our "sweet bread" "pan de dulce" in Mexico, since
my Mamy was a kid, Biscuits are found in any backery in Mexico, and even
there is a house "Bisquets Obregon", that now has a lot of branches all over
Mexico city and some other states.

If they came from another country, they have been adopted to our Mexican
kitchen long ago.

If this group as far as I understand is to discuss and share Mexican food
recipes.

I had problems with this recipe long ago and I asked in this very same group
about the recipe and Shelora, Arturo and Jerry helped me to figure out my
problem.

Why you find this recipe out of place? Why you ask someone to post in
another group? just because you consider this recipe is not Mexican food?
But, what about the others reading this group?

By the way, I hope now you answer my post, since I have made some questions
to you before and you never answer.

Irma.

"Linda" > wrote in message
> Look Mr. A1, I'm not trying to be rude or anything, but there are several
> groups that would be more appropriate for this recipe.
> Try rec.food.cooking or alt.recipes, which are a couple. Honestly "Old
> Fashion Biscuites" are somewhat out of place here.
>
> Linda
>
> "A1 WBarfieldsr" > wrote in message
> .. .
> > Old Fashion Biscuits
> >
> > 2 cups All-Purpose flour
> > 2 Tbls. baking powder
> > 1/2 Tsp. salt
> > 1/2 cup lard
> > 2/3 cup buttermilk
> >
> > Preheat oven to 450 F.
> > Put 2 Tbls. lard in a skillet and get it hot; grease the sides.
> > Stir together the flour, baking powder, and salt.
> > Cut in the lard until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
> > Make a well in the center.
> > Pour the buttermilk in all at once.
> > Stir just until dough clings together.
> > Knead gently on a lightly floured surface for 10-12 strokes.
> > Roll or pat to 1/2-1 inch thickness.
> > Cut with a 2 1/2 inch biscuit cutter or big mouth jar, dipping the

cutter
> > into flour before each cut.
> > Transfer to the hot greased skillet, covering each biscuit with a thin
> > coating of melted lard.
> > Bake in a 450 F. oven for 10-15 minutes, or until golden.
> > Makes: 10-12 biscuits.
> > Serve steaming hot with sweet butter and your favorite jam.
> >
> > --
> > William Barfieldsr

William Jennings

Default Old Fashion Biscuits & Guacamole

Judging from what I've read the past few days in this NG, many only know
what they have read in cook books or learned over vacation about food in
Mexico. Knowing the foods historical vignettes and sometimes poignant
anecdotes is just as important as capturing the flavor.

The flan recipes sort of did it for me. Flan recipes to be sure, but
nothing I would serve. My conclusion.... why bother and put up with some
smart remarks from someone in Ohio who spent two weeks in Mexico eating at a
resort.

Makes you wonder how many know what a cazuela is... much less use them.

I use the Eagle Brand, Pet Evaporated milk recipe for flan with a hint of
orange flavor. I made it for a party and it went so fast
my girlfriend and her mother didn't get enough. The next week I made it for
them again in a 6"x12"x2" glass baking dish. I took off and went fishing
overnight. The next day on my return I thought about the tasty flan waiting
at home.
To my dismay there was no flan. They had eaten the entire thing...... both
have been a little sick of flan evry since ;-)

Let them eat biscuits con guacamole.

doc

"Irma" > wrote in message
.. .
> Hi Linda;
>
> This Biscuits are part of our "sweet bread" "pan de dulce" in Mexico,

since
> my Mamy was a kid, Biscuits are found in any backery in Mexico, and even
> there is a house "Bisquets Obregon", that now has a lot of branches all

over
> Mexico city and some other states.
>
> If they came from another country, they have been adopted to our Mexican
> kitchen long ago.
>
> If this group as far as I understand is to discuss and share Mexican food
> recipes.
>
> I had problems with this recipe long ago and I asked in this very same

group
> about the recipe and Shelora, Arturo and Jerry helped me to figure out my
> problem.
>
> Why you find this recipe out of place? Why you ask someone to post in
> another group? just because you consider this recipe is not Mexican food?
> But, what about the others reading this group?
>
> By the way, I hope now you answer my post, since I have made some

questions
> to you before and you never answer.
>
> Irma.
>

> "Linda" > wrote in message
> > Look Mr. A1, I'm not trying to be rude or anything, but there are

several
> > groups that would be more appropriate for this recipe.
> > Try rec.food.cooking or alt.recipes, which are a couple. Honestly "Old
> > Fashion Biscuites" are somewhat out of place here.
> >
> > Linda
> >
> > "A1 WBarfieldsr" > wrote in message
> > .. .
> > > Old Fashion Biscuits
> > >
> > > 2 cups All-Purpose flour
> > > 2 Tbls. baking powder
> > > 1/2 Tsp. salt
> > > 1/2 cup lard
> > > 2/3 cup buttermilk
> > >
> > > Preheat oven to 450 F.
> > > Put 2 Tbls. lard in a skillet and get it hot; grease the sides.
> > > Stir together the flour, baking powder, and salt.
> > > Cut in the lard until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
> > > Make a well in the center.
> > > Pour the buttermilk in all at once.
> > > Stir just until dough clings together.
> > > Knead gently on a lightly floured surface for 10-12 strokes.
> > > Roll or pat to 1/2-1 inch thickness.
> > > Cut with a 2 1/2 inch biscuit cutter or big mouth jar, dipping the

> cutter
> > > into flour before each cut.
> > > Transfer to the hot greased skillet, covering each biscuit with a thin
> > > coating of melted lard.
> > > Bake in a 450 F. oven for 10-15 minutes, or until golden.
> > > Makes: 10-12 biscuits.
> > > Serve steaming hot with sweet butter and your favorite jam.
> > >
> > > --
> > > William Barfieldsr

Linda

"Irma" > wrote in message
.. .
> Hi Linda;
>
> This Biscuits are part of our "sweet bread" "pan de dulce" in Mexico,

since

"pan dulce" but not biscuits, not "old fashion biscuits"

> my Mamy was a kid, Biscuits are found in any backery in Mexico, and even
> there is a house "Bisquets Obregon", that now has a lot of branches all

over
> Mexico city and some other states.
>
> If they came from another country, they have been adopted to our Mexican
> kitchen long ago.

What part of Mexico are you from?

> If this group as far as I understand is to discuss and share Mexican food
> recipes.

Yes it is, but IMHO "old fashion biscuits" don't qualify..

> I had problems with this recipe long ago and I asked in this very same

group
> about the recipe and Shelora, Arturo and Jerry helped me to figure out my
> problem.
>
> Why you find this recipe out of place? Why you ask someone to post in
> another group? just because you consider this recipe is not Mexican food?
> But, what about the others reading this group?

Maybe you misread my post....I did not ask someone to post in another group.
I merely suggested there might be a more appropriate group for "old
fashioned biscuits"

> By the way, I hope now you answer my post, since I have made some

questions
> to you before and you never answer.

Sorry, I don't recall that.

BTW, get out your Mexican cookbooks, and post a recipe for "old fashion
biscuits" none of mine (and I
have quite a few) have a recipe.

Linda

> Irma.
>

> "Linda" > wrote in message
> > Look Mr. A1, I'm not trying to be rude or anything, but there are

several
> > groups that would be more appropriate for this recipe.
> > Try rec.food.cooking or alt.recipes, which are a couple. Honestly "Old
> > Fashion Biscuites" are somewhat out of place here.
> >
> > Linda
> >
> > "A1 WBarfieldsr" > wrote in message
> > .. .
> > > Old Fashion Biscuits
> > >
> > > 2 cups All-Purpose flour
> > > 2 Tbls. baking powder
> > > 1/2 Tsp. salt
> > > 1/2 cup lard
> > > 2/3 cup buttermilk
> > >
> > > Preheat oven to 450 F.
> > > Put 2 Tbls. lard in a skillet and get it hot; grease the sides.
> > > Stir together the flour, baking powder, and salt.
> > > Cut in the lard until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
> > > Make a well in the center.
> > > Pour the buttermilk in all at once.
> > > Stir just until dough clings together.
> > > Knead gently on a lightly floured surface for 10-12 strokes.
> > > Roll or pat to 1/2-1 inch thickness.
> > > Cut with a 2 1/2 inch biscuit cutter or big mouth jar, dipping the

> cutter
> > > into flour before each cut.
> > > Transfer to the hot greased skillet, covering each biscuit with a thin
> > > coating of melted lard.
> > > Bake in a 450 F. oven for 10-15 minutes, or until golden.
> > > Makes: 10-12 biscuits.
> > > Serve steaming hot with sweet butter and your favorite jam.
> > >
> > > --
> > > William Barfieldsr

William Jennings

"Linda" > wrote in message
> BTW, get out your Mexican cookbooks, and post a recipe for "old fashion
> biscuits" none of mine (and I
> have quite a few) have a recipe.
>
> Linda

I'll bet those Mexican cookbooks are mostly in English. In other words
transcriptions of Mexican recipes one time removed from the source. Most
Mexicans have never used a cookbook. Mexican cooking is mostly an oral
tradition passed down from chef to apprentice, from mother to daughter. In
Mexico most good cooks will say "the secret is in the hands".

I also have a large collection of cook books I've gathered around the world.
Nothing is better than direct transmission and observation of a recipe
brought to life in full view. The historical vignettes and anecdotes
associated with some recipes may in some small way help a good cook towards
the scents and flavors of an authentic Mexican kitchen.

doc

Linda

"William Jennings" > wrote in message

> "Linda" > wrote in message
> > BTW, get out your Mexican cookbooks, and post a recipe for "old fashion
> > biscuits" none of mine (and I
> > have quite a few) have a recipe.
> >
> > Linda

> I'll bet those Mexican cookbooks are mostly in English. In other words
> transcriptions of Mexican recipes one time removed from the source. Most
> Mexicans have never used a cookbook. Mexican cooking is mostly an oral
> tradition passed down from chef to apprentice, from mother to daughter. In
> Mexico most good cooks will say "the secret is in the hands".

you're absolutely right..my mother-in-law just throws everything in..I do
too with
a lot of things I cook. That's why I still haven't posted my ranchero sauce
recipe yet..
There really is *no* recipe.

> I also have a large collection of cook books I've gathered around the

world.
> Nothing is better than direct transmission and observation of a recipe
> brought to life in full view. The historical vignettes and anecdotes
> associated with some recipes may in some small way help a good cook

towards
> the scents and flavors of an authentic Mexican kitchen.
>
> doc

have a large collection too. But none of my Mexican books have a recipe
for "old fashion
biscuits"

Linda

Jim Lane

Linda wrote:

> "Irma" > wrote in message
> .. .
>
>>Hi Linda;
>>
>>This Biscuits are part of our "sweet bread" "pan de dulce" in Mexico,

> since
>
> "pan dulce" but not biscuits, not "old fashion biscuits"
>

>>my Mamy was a kid, Biscuits are found in any backery in Mexico, and even
>>there is a house "Bisquets Obregon", that now has a lot of branches all

> over
>
>>Mexico city and some other states.
>>
>>If they came from another country, they have been adopted to our Mexican
>>kitchen long ago.

> What part of Mexico are you from?
>

>>If this group as far as I understand is to discuss and share Mexican food
>>recipes.

> Yes it is, but IMHO "old fashion biscuits" don't qualify..
>

>>I had problems with this recipe long ago and I asked in this very same

> group
>
>>about the recipe and Shelora, Arturo and Jerry helped me to figure out my
>>problem.
>>
>>Why you find this recipe out of place? Why you ask someone to post in
>>another group? just because you consider this recipe is not Mexican food?
>>But, what about the others reading this group?

> Maybe you misread my post....I did not ask someone to post in another group.
> I merely suggested there might be a more appropriate group for "old
> fashioned biscuits"
>

>>By the way, I hope now you answer my post, since I have made some

> questions
>
>>to you before and you never answer.

> Sorry, I don't recall that.
>
> BTW, get out your Mexican cookbooks, and post a recipe for "old fashion
> biscuits" none of mine (and I
> have quite a few) have a recipe.
>
> Linda
>
>>Irma.
>>

>>"Linda" > wrote in message
>>
>>>Look Mr. A1, I'm not trying to be rude or anything, but there are

> several
>
>>>groups that would be more appropriate for this recipe.
>>>Try rec.food.cooking or alt.recipes, which are a couple. Honestly "Old
>>>Fashion Biscuites" are somewhat out of place here.
>>>
>>>Linda
>>>
>>>"A1 WBarfieldsr" > wrote in message
m...

>>cutter

And while the mouth is at it, he can put up his recipe for flan and not
some non-duplicable generalitites.

jim

Jim Lane

William Jennings wrote:

> "Linda" > wrote in message
>
>>BTW, get out your Mexican cookbooks, and post a recipe for "old fashion
>>biscuits" none of mine (and I
>>have quite a few) have a recipe.
>>
>>Linda

> I'll bet those Mexican cookbooks are mostly in English. In other words
> transcriptions of Mexican recipes one time removed from the source. Most
> Mexicans have never used a cookbook. Mexican cooking is mostly an oral
> tradition passed down from chef to apprentice, from mother to daughter. In
> Mexico most good cooks will say "the secret is in the hands".
>
> I also have a large collection of cook books I've gathered around the world.
> Nothing is better than direct transmission and observation of a recipe
> brought to life in full view. The historical vignettes and anecdotes
> associated with some recipes may in some small way help a good cook towards
> the scents and flavors of an authentic Mexican kitchen.
>
> doc

Careful, doc, you might be making a fool out of oyurself. Put up or shut
up. We'll more than settle for any resipe you can put up from a
Spanish-language cookbook. A lot are bi-lingual here.

So, put up or shut up. The challenge has been made twice now.

jim

William Jennings

"Jim Lane" > wrote in message
> Careful, doc, you might be making a fool out of oyurself. Put up or shut
> up. We'll more than settle for any resipe you can put up from a
> Spanish-language cookbook. A lot are bi-lingual here.
>
> So, put up or shut up. The challenge has been made twice now.

I guess I'll hug my teddy bear close tonight...........

Exactly what are you talking about, what challenge and who is we'll? Do you
have a mouse in your pocket?

doc

William Jennings

"Linda" > wrote in message

<Snip>

.. < That's why I still haven't posted my ranchero sauce recipe yet.. There
really is *no* recipe.>

Exactly, there are no definitive recipes. I live in a city where there are
thousands of different Ranchero Sauces.
I spent no small amount of time defining for myself just what did it for me.
I find for my taste I like roasted plum tomatoes or canned stewed tomatoes,
onions, touch of garlic and clantro with chile petines that heats my whole
mouth. I am talking about dried chile petines and not the pickled ones.

I know, picky, picky, picky but that's taste for you.

> ><snip>

> have a large collection too. But none of my Mexican books have a recipe
> for "old fashion
> biscuits"

But you do have Erma. Hey, biscuits have too many carbs for me these days
anyway, seldom eat them.

doc

William Jennings

Irma,

Here you go:

LOS BISQUETS BISQUETS OBREGON
Razón Social: Desarrolladora de Franquicias Los Bisquets Obregón SA de
CV.Lousiana No. 58, Col. NápolesMéxico DFC.P. 03810México
Contacto: Delgadillo, Adriana Email: :

doc

"Irma" > wrote in message
.. .
> Hi Linda;
>
> This Biscuits are part of our "sweet bread" "pan de dulce" in Mexico,

since
> my Mamy was a kid, Biscuits are found in any backery in Mexico, and even
> there is a house "Bisquets Obregon", that now has a lot of branches all

over
> Mexico city and some other states.
>
> If they came from another country, they have been adopted to our Mexican
> kitchen long ago.
>
> If this group as far as I understand is to discuss and share Mexican food
> recipes.
>
> I had problems with this recipe long ago and I asked in this very same

group
> about the recipe and Shelora, Arturo and Jerry helped me to figure out my
> problem.
>
> Why you find this recipe out of place? Why you ask someone to post in
> another group? just because you consider this recipe is not Mexican food?
> But, what about the others reading this group?
>
> By the way, I hope now you answer my post, since I have made some

questions
> to you before and you never answer.
>
> Irma.
>

> "Linda" > wrote in message
> > Look Mr. A1, I'm not trying to be rude or anything, but there are

several
> > groups that would be more appropriate for this recipe.
> > Try rec.food.cooking or alt.recipes, which are a couple. Honestly "Old
> > Fashion Biscuites" are somewhat out of place here.
> >
> > Linda
> >
> > "A1 WBarfieldsr" > wrote in message
> > .. .
> > > Old Fashion Biscuits
> > >
> > > 2 cups All-Purpose flour
> > > 2 Tbls. baking powder
> > > 1/2 Tsp. salt
> > > 1/2 cup lard
> > > 2/3 cup buttermilk
> > >
> > > Preheat oven to 450 F.
> > > Put 2 Tbls. lard in a skillet and get it hot; grease the sides.
> > > Stir together the flour, baking powder, and salt.
> > > Cut in the lard until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
> > > Make a well in the center.
> > > Pour the buttermilk in all at once.
> > > Stir just until dough clings together.
> > > Knead gently on a lightly floured surface for 10-12 strokes.
> > > Roll or pat to 1/2-1 inch thickness.
> > > Cut with a 2 1/2 inch biscuit cutter or big mouth jar, dipping the

> cutter
> > > into flour before each cut.
> > > Transfer to the hot greased skillet, covering each biscuit with a thin
> > > coating of melted lard.
> > > Bake in a 450 F. oven for 10-15 minutes, or until golden.
> > > Makes: 10-12 biscuits.
> > > Serve steaming hot with sweet butter and your favorite jam.
> > >
> > > --
> > > William Barfieldsr

Linda

According to Googling, Desarrolladora de Franquicias Los Bisquets Obregón is
a restaurant/cafe and not a "backery "

Linda

"William Jennings" > wrote in message
> Irma,
>
> Here you go:
>
> LOS BISQUETS BISQUETS OBREGON
> Razón Social: Desarrolladora de Franquicias Los Bisquets Obregón SA de
> CV.Lousiana No. 58, Col. NápolesMéxico DFC.P. 03810México
> Contacto: Delgadillo, Adriana Email: :
>
> doc
>

> "Irma" > wrote in message
> .. .
> > Hi Linda;
> >
> > This Biscuits are part of our "sweet bread" "pan de dulce" in Mexico,

> since
> > my Mamy was a kid, Biscuits are found in any backery in Mexico, and even
> > there is a house "Bisquets Obregon", that now has a lot of branches all

> over
> > Mexico city and some other states.
> >
> > If they came from another country, they have been adopted to our Mexican
> > kitchen long ago.
> >
> > If this group as far as I understand is to discuss and share Mexican

food
> > recipes.
> >
> > I had problems with this recipe long ago and I asked in this very same

> group
> > about the recipe and Shelora, Arturo and Jerry helped me to figure out

my
> > problem.
> >
> > Why you find this recipe out of place? Why you ask someone to post in
> > another group? just because you consider this recipe is not Mexican

food?
> > But, what about the others reading this group?
> >
> > By the way, I hope now you answer my post, since I have made some

> questions
> > to you before and you never answer.
> >
> > Irma.
> >

> > "Linda" > wrote in message
> > > Look Mr. A1, I'm not trying to be rude or anything, but there are

> several
> > > groups that would be more appropriate for this recipe.
> > > Try rec.food.cooking or alt.recipes, which are a couple. Honestly

"Old
> > > Fashion Biscuites" are somewhat out of place here.
> > >
> > > Linda
> > >
> > > "A1 WBarfieldsr" > wrote in message
> > > .. .

> > cutter

thin

William Jennings

Default Old Fashion Biscuits - The Saga Continues

"Linda" > wrote in message

> According to Googling, Desarrolladora de Franquicias Los Bisquets Obregón

is
> a restaurant/cafe and not a "backery "

A Panaderia it is not. According to my notes the two best panaderias
(subjective opinion) in Mexico D.F. are next to one another on Av. 16 de
Septiembre near Eje Central, Pastelería La Ideal and El Globo. These
panaderias are among the oldest in Mexico.

Erma has the e-mail address he < > for
""Bisquets Obregon." This was her original request last January.

Usually one selects Mexican bakery items with a pair of tongs and a tray
from a vast assortment of items in a the old style panaderias. Often these
same bread stuffs will appear in nearby restaurants, cafes, loncherías and
sometimes the taquerías.

Interestingly, Los Bisquets Obregón appears to be a U.S.A owned chain with
various locations in Mexico including Cancun.

Does this help?

doc

DISCLAIMER: All opinions here belong to my cat and no one else

Douglas S. Ladden

The Terran carbon-based unit designating itself as "William Jennings"
> shared its ideas in alt.food.mexican-cooking on
Fri, 10 Oct 2003 00:43:57 GMT:

> According to my notes the two best panaderias
> (subjective opinion) in Mexico D.F. are next to one another on Av. 16
> de Septiembre near Eje Central, Pastelería La Ideal and El Globo.
> These panaderias are among the oldest in Mexico.

El Globo is a chain, and there are MANY of them throughout Mexico
City. My aunt swears by them whenever she needs to buy a cake. The
quality seems to be very consistent among all of them. I do not believe I
have been to "La Ideal", but the next time I'm in that neighborhood, I
will check it out. I so enjoy bread.

> Usually one selects Mexican bakery items with a pair of tongs and a
> tray from a vast assortment of items in a the old style panaderias.

Yes. The inclusion in many grocery stores of their own panaderias
has put a lot of real Panaderias out of business, unfortunately. Though
they still operate the same in the grocery stores with the tongs and tray.

--Douglas
jlph

maybe is you look for bisquets and not for bicuits

jl
"Linda" > schreef in bericht

> "William Jennings" > wrote in message
> >
> > "Linda" > wrote in message
> > > BTW, get out your Mexican cookbooks, and post a recipe for "old

fashion
> > > biscuits" none of mine (and I
> > > have quite a few) have a recipe.
> > >
> > > Linda

> > I'll bet those Mexican cookbooks are mostly in English. In other words
> > transcriptions of Mexican recipes one time removed from the source.

Most
> > Mexicans have never used a cookbook. Mexican cooking is mostly an oral
> > tradition passed down from chef to apprentice, from mother to daughter.

In
> > Mexico most good cooks will say "the secret is in the hands".

> you're absolutely right..my mother-in-law just throws everything in..I do
> too with
> a lot of things I cook. That's why I still haven't posted my ranchero

sauce
> recipe yet..
> There really is *no* recipe.
>

> > I also have a large collection of cook books I've gathered around the

> world.
> > Nothing is better than direct transmission and observation of a recipe
> > brought to life in full view. The historical vignettes and anecdotes
> > associated with some recipes may in some small way help a good cook

> towards
> > the scents and flavors of an authentic Mexican kitchen.
> >
> > doc
> >

> have a large collection too. But none of my Mexican books have a recipe
> for "old fashion
> biscuits"
>
> Linda

Irma

"Linda" > wrote in message

> "Irma" > wrote in message
> .. .
> > Hi Linda;
> >
> > This Biscuits are part of our "sweet bread" "pan de dulce" in Mexico,

> since
>
> "pan dulce" but not biscuits, not "old fashion biscuits"

I will try to be clear, in a "panaderia" there are some sections, one, with
bolillos and teleras and so on "pan de sal" and another one with "pan de
dulce" there you can find "old fashion bisquets", that we call bisquets.

> > my Mamy was a kid, Biscuits are found in any backery in Mexico, and even
> > there is a house "Bisquets Obregon", that now has a lot of branches all

> over
> > Mexico city and some other states.
> >
> > If they came from another country, they have been adopted to our Mexican
> > kitchen long ago.

> What part of Mexico are you from?

******
I am from Mexico City, and I have lived in 4 different states for few years
Puebla, in Atlixco; Veracruz, Martinez de la Torre; Chiapas, Tuxtla
Gutiérrez, and Michoacán, Morelia.

> > If this group as far as I understand is to discuss and share Mexican

food
> > recipes.

> Yes it is, but IMHO "old fashion biscuits" don't qualify..

****
Ok, I respect your opinion, but don't share it.

> > I had problems with this recipe long ago and I asked in this very same

> group
> > about the recipe and Shelora, Arturo and Jerry helped me to figure out

my
> > problem.
> >
> > Why you find this recipe out of place? Why you ask someone to post in
> > another group? just because you consider this recipe is not Mexican

food?
> > But, what about the others reading this group?

> Maybe you misread my post....I did not ask someone to post in another

group.
> I merely suggested there might be a more appropriate group for "old
> fashioned biscuits"

***
Thanks for the suggestion, but I still think this way.

> > By the way, I hope now you answer my post, since I have made some

> questions
> > to you before and you never answer.

> Sorry, I don't recall that.
>
> BTW, get out your Mexican cookbooks, and post a recipe for "old fashion
> biscuits" none of mine (and I
> have quite a few) have a recipe.

********
Sorry Linda, I don't have any Mexican food recipe book, well my husband got
one in Germany to get the name of the mexican ingredients in German mainly.
All my recipes are from my family relatives and friends. The bisquets ones I
have, because I have two, were given from my Granny "Tata Lucita"
(Zacatecas, 1900-1973) the other one my Granny "Beatriz" (Mexico City, 1910-
1965, btw, she was a cooking teacher).

> Linda
> >
> > Irma.
> >

> > "Linda" > wrote in message
> > > Look Mr. A1, I'm not trying to be rude or anything, but there are

> several
> > > groups that would be more appropriate for this recipe.
> > > Try rec.food.cooking or alt.recipes, which are a couple. Honestly

"Old
> > > Fashion Biscuites" are somewhat out of place here.
> > >
> > > Linda
> > >
> > > "A1 WBarfieldsr" > wrote in message
> > > .. .

> > cutter

thin

Irma

"William Jennings" > wrote in message

> "Linda" > wrote in message
> > BTW, get out your Mexican cookbooks, and post a recipe for "old fashion
> > biscuits" none of mine (and I
> > have quite a few) have a recipe.
> >
> > Linda

> I'll bet those Mexican cookbooks are mostly in English. In other words
> transcriptions of Mexican recipes one time removed from the source. Most
> Mexicans have never used a cookbook. Mexican cooking is mostly an oral
> tradition passed down from chef to apprentice, from mother to daughter. In
> Mexico most good cooks will say "the secret is in the hands".

*****
Exactamente!

Irma.

> I also have a large collection of cook books I've gathered around the

world.
> Nothing is better than direct transmission and observation of a recipe
> brought to life in full view. The historical vignettes and anecdotes
> associated with some recipes may in some small way help a good cook

towards
> the scents and flavors of an authentic Mexican kitchen.
>
> doc

Irma

Linda,

It is for sure a backery, since they bake its own bread and sell it, to take
home or to eat there. It is the same as Sanborns, they have restaurant but
they backe their own bread, sell it to take in the Cafeteria Sanborns or to
take home.

Irma.

"Linda" > wrote in message
> According to Googling, Desarrolladora de Franquicias Los Bisquets Obregón

is
> a restaurant/cafe and not a "backery "
>

> Linda
>

> "William Jennings" > wrote in message
> > Irma,
> >
> > Here you go:
> >
> > LOS BISQUETS BISQUETS OBREGON
> > Razón Social: Desarrolladora de Franquicias Los Bisquets Obregón SA de
> > CV.Lousiana No. 58, Col. NápolesMéxico DFC.P. 03810México
> > Contacto: Delgadillo, Adriana Email: :
> >
> > doc
> >

> > "Irma" > wrote in message
> > .. .
> > > Hi Linda;
> > >
> > > This Biscuits are part of our "sweet bread" "pan de dulce" in Mexico,

> > since
> > > my Mamy was a kid, Biscuits are found in any backery in Mexico, and

even
> > > there is a house "Bisquets Obregon", that now has a lot of branches

all
> > over
> > > Mexico city and some other states.
> > >
> > > If they came from another country, they have been adopted to our

Mexican
> > > kitchen long ago.
> > >
> > > If this group as far as I understand is to discuss and share Mexican

> food
> > > recipes.
> > >
> > > I had problems with this recipe long ago and I asked in this very same

> > group
> > > about the recipe and Shelora, Arturo and Jerry helped me to figure out

> my
> > > problem.
> > >
> > > Why you find this recipe out of place? Why you ask someone to post in
> > > another group? just because you consider this recipe is not Mexican

> food?
> > > But, what about the others reading this group?
> > >
> > > By the way, I hope now you answer my post, since I have made some

> > questions
> > > to you before and you never answer.
> > >
> > > Irma.
> > >

> > > "Linda" > wrote in message

> > several

> "Old

> > > cutter

> thin

Irma

"William Jennings" > wrote in message

> "Linda" > wrote in message
>
> > According to Googling, Desarrolladora de Franquicias Los Bisquets

Obregón
> is
> > a restaurant/cafe and not a "backery "

> A Panaderia it is not. According to my notes the two best panaderias
> (subjective opinion) in Mexico D.F. are next to one another on Av. 16 de
> Septiembre near Eje Central, Pastelería La Ideal and El Globo. These
> panaderias are among the oldest in Mexico.

*******
Right, they are good ones, but I wouldn't say the two best ones. I
personally don't like very much sweat bread from El Globo, however the cakes
are great.

Irma.

> Erma has the e-mail address he < > for
> ""Bisquets Obregon." This was her original request last January.
>
> Usually one selects Mexican bakery items with a pair of tongs and a tray
> from a vast assortment of items in a the old style panaderias. Often

these
> same bread stuffs will appear in nearby restaurants, cafes, loncherías and
> sometimes the taquerías.
>
> Interestingly, Los Bisquets Obregón appears to be a U.S.A owned chain with
> various locations in Mexico including Cancun.
>
> Does this help?
>
> doc
>
> DISCLAIMER: All opinions here belong to my cat and no one else

Gerald Kelly

"William Jennings" > wrote:
>I'll bet those Mexican cookbooks are mostly in English. In other words
>transcriptions of Mexican recipes one time removed from the source. Most
>Mexicans have never used a cookbook. Mexican cooking is mostly an oral
>tradition passed down from chef to apprentice, from mother to daughter. In
>Mexico most good cooks will say "the secret is in the hands".

Isn't that how Diana Kennedy got her recipes, by living in and
traveling around Mexico, talking to people and cooking with them ?
Read "A Culinary Education" or just about any recipe in the "Cuisines
of Mexico" and she mentions who taught her what, different
interpretations, etc.
Putting the oral tradition down in writing, not an unusual technique
for historians or cookbook authors.

Usenet going out of fashion Krypsis General Cooking 19 29-11-2011 01:49 AM
Old Fashion Cooking weaver615 General Cooking 2 23-05-2008 06:21 PM
old fashion fudge Carla HaIrCuTTeR General Cooking 51 18-11-2004 07:04 AM
Old Fashion Hot Chocolate A1 WBarfieldsr Mexican Cooking 0 09-10-2003 10:34 PM
Old Fashion Breakfast Drink A1 WBarfieldsr Mexican Cooking 0 09-10-2003 10:05 PM