Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

Default List your top 3 off the self hot sauces please

Today's ethnic and specialty markets offer an array of quality hot
sauces. To keep myself from burning a hole in my pocket I would like to
know your top 3 to try if I haven't already. Here are 3 of mine:

#1 El Pato (Yellow can or the new Sonoran style sauce in the tall
bottle. The bottle style makes killer chicken wings.)

#2 El Yucateco Hot Sauce Chile Habanero (Red then Green in order of
preference. Lots of heat and flavor.)

#3 La Costeņa Ranchera Salsa Medium. (A true fire roasted salsa in a jar
a must have condiment for the breakfast table.)
Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

On Jun 6, 2:36 pm, Sonoran Dude > wrote:
> Today's ethnic and specialty markets offer an array of quality hot
> sauces. To keep myself from burning a hole in my pocket I would like to
> know your top 3 to try if I haven't already. Here are 3 of mine:
>
> #1 El Pato (Yellow can or the new Sonoran style sauce in the tall
> bottle. The bottle style makes killer chicken wings.)
>
> #2 El Yucateco Hot Sauce Chile Habanero (Red then Green in order of
> preference. Lots of heat and flavor.)
>
> #3 La Costeņa Ranchera Salsa Medium. (A true fire roasted salsa in a jar
> a must have condiment for the breakfast table.)

They MUST NOT contain vinegar. That rules out #2.
Also, you can keep any of them that have cilantro.

I'd say that the best bottled stuff is:
La Sabroza Salsa Taquera
http://www.lasabroza.com/
and it's not great.

The La Costeņa Ranchera Salsa isn't bad.

If you want to heat up a salsa that you like the taste of, but isn't
hot enough, this stuff does the trick:
http://www.firegirl.com/hs1154.html

--Bryan

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

BOBOBOnoBOŽ wrote:
> On Jun 6, 2:36 pm, Sonoran Dude > wrote:
>> Today's ethnic and specialty markets offer an array of quality hot
>> sauces. To keep myself from burning a hole in my pocket I would like to
>> know your top 3 to try if I haven't already. Here are 3 of mine:
>>
>> #1 El Pato (Yellow can or the new Sonoran style sauce in the tall
>> bottle. The bottle style makes killer chicken wings.)
>>
>> #2 El Yucateco Hot Sauce Chile Habanero (Red then Green in order of
>> preference. Lots of heat and flavor.)
>>
>> #3 La Costeņa Ranchera Salsa Medium. (A true fire roasted salsa in a jar
>> a must have condiment for the breakfast table.)

> They MUST NOT contain vinegar. That rules out #2.
> Also, you can keep any of them that have cilantro.
>
> I'd say that the best bottled stuff is:
> La Sabroza Salsa Taquera
> http://www.lasabroza.com/
> and it's not great.
>
> The La Costeņa Ranchera Salsa isn't bad.
>
> If you want to heat up a salsa that you like the taste of, but isn't
> hot enough, this stuff does the trick:
> http://www.firegirl.com/hs1154.html
>
> --Bryan

Capsin oil is dangerous stuff...
Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

On Wed, 06 Jun 2007 15:55:47 -0700, BOBOBOnoBOŽ >
wrote:

>They MUST NOT contain vinegar.

Hi Bryan,

Vinegar is what keeps botulism away. Sauces can be made with vinegar
in a way that it's not obvious.

For fresh salsas, i.e. those that you use within a few days don't need
it, but bottled salsas need some acidity to kill the nasties.

jim

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

On Jun 6, 3:36 pm, Sonoran Dude > wrote:
> Today's ethnic and specialty markets offer an array of quality hot
> sauces. To keep myself from burning a hole in my pocket I would like to
> know your top 3 to try if I haven't already. Here are 3 of mine:
>
> #1 El Pato (Yellow can or the new Sonoran style sauce in the tall
> bottle. The bottle style makes killer chicken wings.)
>
> #2 El Yucateco Hot Sauce Chile Habanero (Red then Green in order of
> preference. Lots of heat and flavor.)

I like the XXX El Yucateco Habanero.. it's sort of brownish..

> #3 La Costeņa Ranchera Salsa Medium. (A true fire roasted salsa in a jar
> a must have condiment for the breakfast table.)

Tuong ot Shriracha (Viet or Thai red serrano sauce; great on aigs)

Matouk's Calypso sauce (Trinidadian.. I think it has some mango in
it.. nice and tart..)

the canned Herdez ranchera is good as a marinade for chicken with a
1/2 c of lime juice and 1/2 a can of beer to thin it..

I think the gringo tendency to make "hotter than thou" sauces is
pretty damn lame.. what's the point?

Ted

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

Steve Wertz wrote:

> Good list, especaily since I just mentioned two of these and,have
> all these in my fridge right now. Except the Herdez should Salsa
> Casera insetad of Ranchera, IMO,
>
> BTW: It's "Sriracha". AKA Cock Sauce. Accept nothing other than
> Huy Fong brand. <http://www.huyfong.com/no_frames/sriracha.htm>
>
> -sw

Looks like we all have the same stuff in our fridge...
Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

> wrote in message
oups.com...
On Jun 6, 3:36 pm, Sonoran Dude <
---snip---

I think the gringo tendency to make "hotter than thou" sauces is
pretty damn lame.. what's the point?

Ted

----- end snip ---- Wayne he

Just to add some salsa to the salsa discussion. In the heart of Mexico the
serrano is the favorite of all picantes. Few people like it hot so the
salsas are always put in individual bowls, easy access, to the eaters. The
other major use for really hot salsas is out in the field or in construction
where workers toil 12 hours a day with a short break three or four times
during which time they load a bean taco with the hottest chile possible and
eat them quickly in order to get back to work. The chile triggers the
endorphin which acts like an opium, only it is non-addictive since it is
created by the body itself. This gives the workers that famous 'second wind'
that runners so much crave. The endorphin kills the pain and gives them the
energy they need to complete the slave-like tasks they have to do in order
to take home anything for the family in the form of money or exchange goods.

I don't know what this has to do with the gringo's passion for chile, but
thought I'd add my two-bits worth since it seemed appropriate. Oh, well.

Wayne

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

On Jun 9, 10:39?am, "Wayne Lundberg" >
wrote:
> > wrote in message

> The other major use for really hot salsas is out in the field or in construction
> where workers toil 12 hours a day with a short break three or four times
> during which time they load a bean taco with the hottest chile possible and
> eat them quickly in order to get back to work. The chile triggers the
> endorphin which acts like an opium, only it is non-addictive since it is
> created by the body itself. This gives the workers that famous 'second wind'
> that runners so much crave. The endorphin kills the pain and gives them the
> energy they need to complete the slave-like tasks they have to do in order
> to take home anything for the family in the form of money or exchange goods.

Are the defenders of la raza going to tolerate such characterization
of the p*****ts'
honest labor as "slave-like"?

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

Wayne Lundberg wrote:
> > wrote in message
> oups.com...
> On Jun 6, 3:36 pm, Sonoran Dude <
> ---snip---
>
> I think the gringo tendency to make "hotter than thou" sauces is
> pretty damn lame.. what's the point?
>
> Ted
>
> ----- end snip ---- Wayne he
>
> Just to add some salsa to the salsa discussion. In the heart of Mexico the
> serrano is the favorite of all picantes. Few people like it hot so the
> salsas are always put in individual bowls, easy access, to the eaters. The
> other major use for really hot salsas is out in the field or in construction
> where workers toil 12 hours a day with a short break three or four times
> during which time they load a bean taco with the hottest chile possible and
> eat them quickly in order to get back to work. The chile triggers the
> endorphin which acts like an opium, only it is non-addictive since it is
> created by the body itself. This gives the workers that famous 'second wind'
> that runners so much crave. The endorphin kills the pain and gives them the
> energy they need to complete the slave-like tasks they have to do in order
> to take home anything for the family in the form of money or exchange goods.
>
> I don't know what this has to do with the gringo's passion for chile, but
> thought I'd add my two-bits worth since it seemed appropriate. Oh, well.
>
> Wayne

Thanks for the history lesson but be honest now and walk to the kitchen
and tell us what bottled concoctions you have in your fridge.
Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

"Sonoran Dude" > wrote in message
. ..
> Wayne Lundberg wrote:
>> > wrote in message
>> oups.com...
>> On Jun 6, 3:36 pm, Sonoran Dude <
>> ---snip---
>>
>> I think the gringo tendency to make "hotter than thou" sauces is
>> pretty damn lame.. what's the point?
>>
>> Ted
>>
>> ----- end snip ---- Wayne he
>>
>> Just to add some salsa to the salsa discussion. In the heart of Mexico
>> the serrano is the favorite of all picantes. Few people like it hot so
>> the salsas are always put in individual bowls, easy access, to the
>> eaters. The other major use for really hot salsas is out in the field or
>> in construction where workers toil 12 hours a day with a short break
>> three or four times during which time they load a bean taco with the
>> hottest chile possible and eat them quickly in order to get back to work.
>> The chile triggers the endorphin which acts like an opium, only it is
>> non-addictive since it is created by the body itself. This gives the
>> workers that famous 'second wind' that runners so much crave. The
>> endorphin kills the pain and gives them the energy they need to complete
>> the slave-like tasks they have to do in order to take home anything for
>> the family in the form of money or exchange goods.
>>
>> I don't know what this has to do with the gringo's passion for chile, but
>> thought I'd add my two-bits worth since it seemed appropriate. Oh, well.
>>
>> Wayne
>>

> Thanks for the history lesson but be honest now and walk to the kitchen
> and tell us what bottled concoctions you have in your fridge.

Tabasco sauce
Herdez Salsa Casera cans, a dozen small.
La Victoria Salsa Verde
El Yucateco chile habanero
Ro-Tel cans - at least six in the cubboard
Herez green sauce and ranchero
Chipotles (can out of reach now, don't know the brand - probably Herdez).
Plus always serranos and cilantro in the veggie trays in the fridge - plus
garlic, tomatoes, chile popblano, tomatillos - often enough.

Love the stuff!

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

Wayne Lundberg wrote:

>> Thanks for the history lesson but be honest now and walk to the kitchen
>> and tell us what bottled concoctions you have in your fridge.

> Tabasco sauce
> Herdez Salsa Casera cans, a dozen small.
> La Victoria Salsa Verde
> El Yucateco chile habanero
> Ro-Tel cans - at least six in the cubboard
> Herez green sauce and ranchero
> Chipotles (can out of reach now, don't know the brand - probably Herdez).
> Plus always serranos and cilantro in the veggie trays in the fridge - plus
> garlic, tomatoes, chile popblano, tomatillos - often enough.
>
> Love the stuff!

All staples in this part of the country. One if forgot to mention that
is a guilty pleasure is the Macayo's brand taco sauce. So mainstream
restaurant but so good...

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

On Jun 10, 12:20 pm, "Wayne Lundberg" >
wrote:
> "Sonoran Dude" > wrote in message
>
> . ..

> groups.com...
> >> On Jun 6, 3:36 pm, Sonoran Dude <
> >> ---snip---

> >> I think the gringo tendency to make "hotter than thou" sauces is
> >> pretty damn lame.. what's the point?

> >> Ted

> >> ----- end snip ---- Wayne he

> >> Just to add some salsa to the salsa discussion. In the heart of Mexico
> >> the serrano is the favorite of all picantes. Few people like it hot so
> >> the salsas are always put in individual bowls, easy access, to the
> >> eaters. The other major use for really hot salsas is out in the field or
> >> in construction where workers toil 12 hours a day with a short break
> >> three or four times during which time they load a bean taco with the
> >> hottest chile possible and eat them quickly in order to get back to work.
> >> The chile triggers the endorphin which acts like an opium, only it is
> >> non-addictive since it is created by the body itself. This gives the
> >> workers that famous 'second wind' that runners so much crave. The
> >> endorphin kills the pain and gives them the energy they need to complete
> >> the slave-like tasks they have to do in order to take home anything for
> >> the family in the form of money or exchange goods.

> >> I don't know what this has to do with the gringo's passion for chile, but
> >> thought I'd add my two-bits worth since it seemed appropriate. Oh, well.

> >> Wayne

> > Thanks for the history lesson but be honest now and walk to the kitchen
> > and tell us what bottled concoctions you have in your fridge.

> Tabasco sauce
> Herdez Salsa Casera cans, a dozen small.
> La Victoria Salsa Verde
> El Yucateco chile habanero
> Ro-Tel cans - at least six in the cubboard
> Herez green sauce and ranchero
> Chipotles (can out of reach now, don't know the brand - probably Herdez).
> Plus always serranos and cilantro in the veggie trays in the fridge - plus
> garlic, tomatoes, chile popblano, tomatillos - often enough.

I'm about the same, but prefer the Herdez salsa ranchera.. I don't
have any La Victoria products..

I have Bufalo Chipotle sauce
;some D&G jamaican scotch bonnet sauce
;some Barbadian scotch bonnet/mustard sauce (for the Barbadian
equivalent of jerk)..
Matouks calypso
also several cans of Hatch whole chiles..

Dried, there'd be:
arbol, ancho, pasilla, japones,guajillo, petin, and a jar full of
chile caribe which I picked up at the Federal St. Safeway in Denver.
also some dried New Mexican chiles from Orale.. I may have missed
some..

(and in the garden I have one poblano plant and two serrano plants.. I
can use them easier than I can habaneros which I always get a glut of
in the fall here in Virginia.. I can't eat that many habaneros, but I
can eat bunches of serranos..)

Damn! I'm out of Toung ot sriracha.. it's cheaper at the Asian
supermarket Tan A...

T.

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

On Jun 6, 7:36 pm, Sonoran Dude > wrote:
> BOBOBOnoBOŽ wrote:
> > On Jun 6, 2:36 pm, Sonoran Dude > wrote:
> >> Today's ethnic and specialty markets offer an array of quality hot
> >> sauces. To keep myself from burning a hole in my pocket I would like to
> >> know your top 3 to try if I haven't already. Here are 3 of mine:

> >> #1 El Pato (Yellow can or the new Sonoran style sauce in the tall
> >> bottle. The bottle style makes killer chicken wings.)

> >> #2 El Yucateco Hot Sauce Chile Habanero (Red then Green in order of
> >> preference. Lots of heat and flavor.)

> >> #3 La Costeņa Ranchera Salsa Medium. (A true fire roasted salsa in a jar
> >> a must have condiment for the breakfast table.)

> > They MUST NOT contain vinegar. That rules out #2.
> > Also, you can keep any of them that have cilantro.

> > I'd say that the best bottled stuff is:
> > La Sabroza Salsa Taquera
> >http://www.lasabroza.com/
> > and it's not great.

> > The La Costeņa Ranchera Salsa isn't bad.

> > If you want to heat up a salsa that you like the taste of, but isn't
> > hot enough, this stuff does the trick:
> >http://www.firegirl.com/hs1154.html

> > --Bryan

> Capsin oil is dangerous stuff...

Yes, it is. It is to be used by the drop, and as it says on the
bottle, it is a "cooking ingredient," not a hot sauce.

--Bryan

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

On Jun 7, 6:38 am, chiaroscuro > wrote:
> On Wed, 06 Jun 2007 15:55:47 -0700, BOBOBOnoBOŽ >
> wrote:
>
> >They MUST NOT contain vinegar.

> Hi Bryan,
>
> Vinegar is what keeps botulism away. Sauces can be made with vinegar
> in a way that it's not obvious.

I disagree. Vinegar tastes like vinegar.

> For fresh salsas, i.e. those that you use within a few days don't need
> it, but bottled salsas need some acidity to kill the nasties.

The first two I listed get their acidity from tomatillo.

> jim

--Bryan

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

I'd have to say hands down, Marie Sharp's sauces out of Belize are the best.
Her fiery hot, green (made with nopal) and her just regular hot sauce. In
that order.

They're hard to find. You can mail order them though. I've learned to copy
most of the hot sauces I buy and don't buy many, but Marie's are superior
because of the habaneros she uses.

I have a copy of the hot sauce bible, which I use diligently.
> wrote in message
oups.com...
> On Jun 10, 12:20 pm, "Wayne Lundberg" >
> wrote:
>> "Sonoran Dude" > wrote in message
>>
>> . ..

>> groups.com...

>> > Thanks for the history lesson but be honest now and walk to the kitchen
>> > and tell us what bottled concoctions you have in your fridge.

>> Tabasco sauce
>> Herdez Salsa Casera cans, a dozen small.
>> La Victoria Salsa Verde
>> El Yucateco chile habanero
>> Ro-Tel cans - at least six in the cubboard
>> Herez green sauce and ranchero
>> Chipotles (can out of reach now, don't know the brand - probably Herdez).
>> Plus always serranos and cilantro in the veggie trays in the fridge -
>> plus
>> garlic, tomatoes, chile popblano, tomatillos - often enough.
>>

> I'm about the same, but prefer the Herdez salsa ranchera.. I don't
> have any La Victoria products..
>
> I have Bufalo Chipotle sauce
> ;some D&G jamaican scotch bonnet sauce
> ;some Barbadian scotch bonnet/mustard sauce (for the Barbadian
> equivalent of jerk)..
> Matouks calypso
> also several cans of Hatch whole chiles..
>
> Dried, there'd be:
> arbol, ancho, pasilla, japones,guajillo, petin, and a jar full of
> chile caribe which I picked up at the Federal St. Safeway in Denver.
> also some dried New Mexican chiles from Orale.. I may have missed
> some..
>
> (and in the garden I have one poblano plant and two serrano plants.. I
> can use them easier than I can habaneros which I always get a glut of
> in the fall here in Virginia.. I can't eat that many habaneros, but I
> can eat bunches of serranos..)
>
> Damn! I'm out of Toung ot sriracha.. it's cheaper at the Asian
> supermarket Tan A...
>
> T.

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

In article >,
"Chaim Yankel" > wrote:

> I'd have to say hands down, Marie Sharp's sauces out of Belize are the best.
> Her fiery hot, green (made with nopal) and her just regular hot sauce. In
> that order.
>
> They're hard to find. You can mail order them though. I've learned to copy
> most of the hot sauces I buy and don't buy many, but Marie's are superior
> because of the habaneros she uses.
>
> I have a copy of the hot sauce bible, which I use diligently.

Mucho snipping

These are the most used hot sauces in our "Arsenal of Democracy":

Tabasco (most used)
Sriracha
Sweet chile sauce
Melinda's chipotle
Cajun Power (more garlic than heat)

We especially like Melinda's mango sauce, but we don't have any right
now. It's better-rounded than Inner Beauty.

Cindy
"Life is too short to eat bland food"

--
C.J. Fuller