Mango paste?

Old 26-09-2006, 04:50 PM posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

Default Mango paste?

I was in the Mexican food section of the local supermarket a few weeks
ago and saw that they had a clearance sale on mango paste. It comes in
a round tin and apparently is sort of like jellied mango. (I haven't
opened the tin yet; didn't want to do that until I had some idea of
what I was going to do with it.)

From a bit of googling, I understand that you can slice this and eat it

on crackers, with cheese, etc. But I'm wondering what else it can be
used for. Can I bake it into some kind of pastry? Mango cookies? Mango
flautas? (Eew.)

Any ideas would be welcome.

Scooter

Old 26-09-2006, 06:24 PM posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

Licuado de Mango (mango milk shake).

In the blender add some milk, sugar (if you like, it is optional) and
some fruit, mango in this case, some ice cubes and blend, great for a
in-a-hurry breakfast.
You can try it with bananas , mango, guanabana, strawberries, papaya,
etc. mix some of the fruits or all if you like, add some Quik for a
chocolate taste.

A personal favorite of mine from my student days is milk+banana+quik+a
whole egg . Now I would skip the egg tho.

Got milk? )

Scooter wrote:
I was in the Mexican food section of the local supermarket a few weeks
ago and saw that they had a clearance sale on mango paste. It comes in
a round tin and apparently is sort of like jellied mango. (I haven't
opened the tin yet; didn't want to do that until I had some idea of
what I was going to do with it.)

From a bit of googling, I understand that you can slice this and eat it

Old 26-09-2006, 07:53 PM posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

Scooter wrote:
I was in the Mexican food section of the local supermarket a few weeks
ago and saw that they had a clearance sale on mango paste. It comes in
a round tin and apparently is sort of like jellied mango. (I haven't
opened the tin yet; didn't want to do that until I had some idea of
what I was going to do with it.)

Put it between the layers of a cake. You can also get quince paste.

Old 26-09-2006, 07:57 PM posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

"Scooter" wrote in message
ups.com...
I was in the Mexican food section of the local supermarket a few weeks
ago and saw that they had a clearance sale on mango paste. It comes in
a round tin and apparently is sort of like jellied mango. (I haven't
opened the tin yet; didn't want to do that until I had some idea of
what I was going to do with it.)

From a bit of googling, I understand that you can slice this and eat it

on crackers, with cheese, etc. But I'm wondering what else it can be
used for. Can I bake it into some kind of pastry? Mango cookies? Mango
flautas? (Eew.)

Any ideas would be welcome.

Scooter

One of my favorites is to use it like you would strawberry jam on ice cream
and make a mango sundae, or even banana split which would be a true tropical
delight!

Wayne

Old 26-09-2006, 09:12 PM posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

Wow, these sound good! Thanks for the suggestions.

Once I open the tin, how long will the paste stay good? For that
matter, how will I know if it's gone bad?

Old 26-09-2006, 09:58 PM posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

"Scooter" wrote in message
ups.com...
Wow, these sound good! Thanks for the suggestions.

Once I open the tin, how long will the paste stay good? For that
matter, how will I know if it's gone bad?

I'm not sure, but think of it as any preserve. The more air it's exposed to
the quicker it spoils. Keep it under cover and chilled and it should last a
week, maybe. Sugar attracts yeast of any kind of mold.... keep it out of
air.

Wayne