Posted to alt.fan.cecil-adams,rec.food.historic
Walter Traprock

Default mammoth meat

did people use to eat mammoth meat early last century? i've
just read about being served mammoth meat by the Czar of Russia,
meat dug up that's been frozen for thousands of years. there was
no comment on the taste of he meat. book: sea devil's fo'c'sle,
by lowell thomas (1929). OK, i'll quote all of it relating to mammoth:

"and then there was mammoth's meat. It had been dug up in Siberia
out of the ice, where it had been kept naturally refrigerated
for thousands of years. Eating that ancient mammoth's meat is
more common now, but then it was something new and startling."
Posted to alt.fan.cecil-adams,rec.food.historic
Bill Bonde ('by a commodius vicus of recirculation

Walter Traprock wrote:

> did people use to eat mammoth meat early last century? i've
> just read about being served mammoth meat by the Czar of Russia,
> meat dug up that's been frozen for thousands of years. there was
> no comment on the taste of he meat. book: sea devil's fo'c'sle,
> by lowell thomas (1929). OK, i'll quote all of it relating to mammoth:
>
> "and then there was mammoth's meat. It had been dug up in Siberia
> out of the ice, where it had been kept naturally refrigerated
> for thousands of years. Eating that ancient mammoth's meat is
> more common now, but then it was something new and startling."

I'm sure there are more pages you can read:
http://archives.stupidquestion.net/sq21405.html

--
"Throw me that lipstick, darling, I wanna redo my stigmata."

+-Jennifer Saunders, "Absolutely Fabulous"
Posted to alt.fan.cecil-adams,rec.food.historic
bill van

In article >,
Dilbert Firestorm > wrote:

> Walter Traprock wrote:
>
> >did people use to eat mammoth meat early last century? i've
> >just read about being served mammoth meat by the Czar of Russia,
> >meat dug up that's been frozen for thousands of years. there was
> >no comment on the taste of he meat. book: sea devil's fo'c'sle,
> >by lowell thomas (1929). OK, i'll quote all of it relating to mammoth:
> >
> >"and then there was mammoth's meat. It had been dug up in Siberia
> >out of the ice, where it had been kept naturally refrigerated
> >for thousands of years. Eating that ancient mammoth's meat is
> >more common now, but then it was something new and startling."
> >

> I heard that i was good... dunno where that reference came from

An old girlfriend, perhaps?
Posted to alt.fan.cecil-adams,rec.food.historic
Ulo Melton

Walter Traprock wrote:

>did people use to eat mammoth meat early last century? i've
>just read about being served mammoth meat by the Czar of Russia,
>meat dug up that's been frozen for thousands of years. there was
>no comment on the taste of he meat. book: sea devil's fo'c'sle,
>by lowell thomas (1929). OK, i'll quote all of it relating to mammoth:
>
>"and then there was mammoth's meat. It had been dug up in Siberia
>out of the ice, where it had been kept naturally refrigerated
>for thousands of years. Eating that ancient mammoth's meat is
>more common now, but then it was something new and startling."

According to <http://archives.stupidquestion.net/sq21405.html>, "There
is no reliable report of a modern human eating any part of a frozen
mammoth—and very few unreliable reports, for that matter."

The page goes on about the unfeasibility of eating frozen mammoth, but
does mention that a University of Alaska professor, along with some
chosen friends, chowed down on stew made from a 36,000-year-old bison
and found it "agreeable."

I couldn't say how reliable the research on stupidquestion.net is, but I
also can't say I've ever seen a report of anybody actually eating
ancient mammoth meat. Even the Flintstones only ate the fresh stuff.

--
Ulo Melton
http://www.sewergator.com - Your Pipeline To Adventure
Posted to alt.fan.cecil-adams,rec.food.historic
bill van

In article >,
Dilbert Firestorm > wrote:

> bill van wrote:
>
> >In article >,
> > Dilbert Firestorm > wrote:

> >>I heard that it was good... dunno where that reference came from
> >>

> >An old girlfriend, perhaps?
> >

> you wish, maybe???

Dilbert, for you to go back and edit quoted material -- your original
post, as preserved on everyone's news server, said:

> I heard that i was good... dunno where that reference came from

is ****ing dishonest. You don't do that.

bill

Posted to alt.fan.cecil-adams,rec.food.historic
Dilbert Firestorm

Walter Traprock wrote:

>did people use to eat mammoth meat early last century? i've
>just read about being served mammoth meat by the Czar of Russia,
>meat dug up that's been frozen for thousands of years. there was
>no comment on the taste of he meat. book: sea devil's fo'c'sle,
>by lowell thomas (1929). OK, i'll quote all of it relating to mammoth:
>
>"and then there was mammoth's meat. It had been dug up in Siberia
>out of the ice, where it had been kept naturally refrigerated
>for thousands of years. Eating that ancient mammoth's meat is
>more common now, but then it was something new and startling."

I heard that i was good... dunno where that reference came from
Posted to alt.fan.cecil-adams,rec.food.historic
Dilbert Firestorm

Bill Bonde ('by a commodius vicus of recirculation') wrote:

>Walter Traprock wrote:
>

>>did people use to eat mammoth meat early last century? i've
>>just read about being served mammoth meat by the Czar of Russia,
>>meat dug up that's been frozen for thousands of years. there was
>>no comment on the taste of he meat. book: sea devil's fo'c'sle,
>>by lowell thomas (1929). OK, i'll quote all of it relating to mammoth:
>>
>>"and then there was mammoth's meat. It had been dug up in Siberia
>>out of the ice, where it had been kept naturally refrigerated
>>for thousands of years. Eating that ancient mammoth's meat is
>>more common now, but then it was something new and startling."
>>

>I'm sure there are more pages you can read:
>http://archives.stupidquestion.net/sq21405.html

at least there is one case for eating frozen ancient bison meat!
Posted to alt.fan.cecil-adams,rec.food.historic
Dilbert Firestorm

bill van wrote:

>In article >,
> Dilbert Firestorm > wrote:
>

>>Walter Traprock wrote:
>>

>>>did people use to eat mammoth meat early last century? i've
>>>just read about being served mammoth meat by the Czar of Russia,
>>>meat dug up that's been frozen for thousands of years. there was
>>>no comment on the taste of he meat. book: sea devil's fo'c'sle,
>>>by lowell thomas (1929). OK, i'll quote all of it relating to mammoth:
>>>
>>>"and then there was mammoth's meat. It had been dug up in Siberia
>>>out of the ice, where it had been kept naturally refrigerated
>>>for thousands of years. Eating that ancient mammoth's meat is
>>>more common now, but then it was something new and startling."
>>>

>>I heard that it was good... dunno where that reference came from
>>

>An old girlfriend, perhaps?

you wish, maybe???
Posted to alt.fan.cecil-adams,rec.food.historic

Walter Traprock wrote:
> did people use to eat mammoth meat early last century? i've
> just read about being served mammoth meat by the Czar of Russia,
> meat dug up that's been frozen for thousands of years. there was
> no comment on the taste of he meat. book: sea devil's fo'c'sle,
> by lowell thomas (1929). OK, i'll quote all of it relating to mammoth:
>
> "and then there was mammoth's meat. It had been dug up in Siberia
> out of the ice, where it had been kept naturally refrigerated
> for thousands of years. Eating that ancient mammoth's meat is
> more common now, but then it was something new and startling."

There's something in Gulag Archipelago about involuntary residents of
Siberia finding and eating ancient meat out of the ice. Solzhenitsyn
quotes the Soviet journal in which the discovery was reported as saying
that those who found the stuff ate it quite happily, and notes that
nobody seems to have wondered just how hungry they had to be to do
that...

Posted to alt.fan.cecil-adams,rec.food.historic
Charles Wm. Dimmick

Walter Traprock wrote:

> did people use to eat mammoth meat early last century? i've
> just read about being served mammoth meat by the Czar of Russia,
> meat dug up that's been frozen for thousands of years. there was
> no comment on the taste of he meat. book: sea devil's fo'c'sle,
> by lowell thomas (1929). OK, i'll quote all of it relating to mammoth:
>
> "and then there was mammoth's meat. It had been dug up in Siberia
> out of the ice, where it had been kept naturally refrigerated
> for thousands of years. Eating that ancient mammoth's meat is
> more common now, but then it was something new and startling."

Sometime back in the 30s the Explorer's Club in NYC had a
banquet in which one of the items on the menu was mammoth
meat [unless it was mastodon meat; I no longer remember].
I had occasion to talk with one of the people who had been
at that banquet and asked him what it tasted like. He
told me it tasted like mud.

No, I can't give you any more detail. I don't remember his
name; some friend of the family I met back around 1956.

Charles

Posted to alt.fan.cecil-adams,rec.food.historic
Charles Wm. Dimmick

Charles Wm. Dimmick wrote:

> Walter Traprock wrote:
>
>> did people use to eat mammoth meat early last century? i've just read
>> about being served mammoth meat by the Czar of Russia,
>> meat dug up that's been frozen for thousands of years. there was
>> no comment on the taste of he meat. book: sea devil's fo'c'sle,
>> by lowell thomas (1929). OK, i'll quote all of it relating to mammoth:
>>
>> "and then there was mammoth's meat. It had been dug up in Siberia
>> out of the ice, where it had been kept naturally refrigerated
>> for thousands of years. Eating that ancient mammoth's meat is
>> more common now, but then it was something new and startling."

> Sometime back in the 30s the Explorer's Club in NYC had a
> banquet in which one of the items on the menu was mammoth
> meat [unless it was mastodon meat; I no longer remember].
> I had occasion to talk with one of the people who had been
> at that banquet and asked him what it tasted like. He
> told me it tasted like mud.
>
> No, I can't give you any more detail. I don't remember his
> name; some friend of the family I met back around 1956.

Upon further reflection, I wonder if he was pulling my leg.
At age 16 I was still at the stage where I believed sober
adults when they told me things.

Charles
Posted to alt.fan.cecil-adams,rec.food.historic
M C Hamster

"bill van" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> Dilbert Firestorm > wrote:
>
>> bill van wrote:

>> >An old girlfriend, perhaps?
>> >

>> you wish, maybe???

> Dilbert, for you to go back and edit quoted material -- your original
> post, as preserved on everyone's news server, said:
>
>> I heard that i was good... dunno where that reference came from

> is ****ing dishonest. You don't do that.

This is true, except for the important "taco" codicil.

--
M C Hamster "Big Wheel Keep on Turnin'" -- Creedence Clearwater Revival

Posted to alt.fan.cecil-adams,rec.food.historic
Jeff Wisnia

M C Hamster wrote:

> "bill van" > wrote in message
>
>>In article >,
>>Dilbert Firestorm > wrote:

>>>you wish, maybe???

>>Dilbert, for you to go back and edit quoted material -- your original
>>post, as preserved on everyone's news server, said:
>>

>>>I heard that i was good... dunno where that reference came from

>>is ****ing dishonest. You don't do that.
>>

> This is true, except for the important "taco" codicil.

Is this the one you were referring to?

The once was a man from Morocco,
Known to all by his first name of Rocco.
He said, "to be blunt
God decreed we eat ****,
Why else would it look like a taco?"

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Posted to alt.fan.cecil-adams,rec.food.historic
Jeff Wisnia

Walter Traprock wrote:

> did people use to eat mammoth meat early last century? i've
> just read about being served mammoth meat by the Czar of Russia,
> meat dug up that's been frozen for thousands of years. there was
> no comment on the taste of he meat. book: sea devil's fo'c'sle,
> by lowell thomas (1929). OK, i'll quote all of it relating to mammoth:
>
> "and then there was mammoth's meat. It had been dug up in Siberia
> out of the ice, where it had been kept naturally refrigerated
> for thousands of years. Eating that ancient mammoth's meat is
> more common now, but then it was something new and startling."

I can't speak about the eating of mammoth meat, but as I've long been
interested in carved ivory artworks I know about the active and thriving
industry involving the excavation of tons of mammoth tusks wach year,
which are sold as raw material to ivory carvers around the world.

I've heard recently that global warming has caused some of the ice
covering northern shorelines to melt further back, exposing more areas
where mammoth tusks can be dug up.

The ivory from mammoth tusks looks and carves almost identically to that
from elephant tusks, it takes the right lighting and a trained eye to
differentiate them by the different crossing angles of their "graining".

Anyone desirous of more info about this can visit the links on this page:

http://home.comcast.net/%7Ejwisnia18...ory_links.html

Out of deference to the world's dwindling elephant population I do my
best to avoid purchasing any newly made works carved from elephant ivory.

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Posted to alt.fan.cecil-adams,rec.food.historic
Veronique

Walter Traprock wrote:
> did people use to eat mammoth meat early last century? i've
> just read about being served mammoth meat by the Czar of Russia,
> meat dug up that's been frozen for thousands of years. there was
> no comment on the taste of he meat. book: sea devil's fo'c'sle,
> by lowell thomas (1929). OK, i'll quote all of it relating to mammoth:
>
> "and then there was mammoth's meat. It had been dug up in Siberia
> out of the ice, where it had been kept naturally refrigerated
> for thousands of years. Eating that ancient mammoth's meat is
> more common now, but then it was something new and startling."

In Gary Haynes' "Mammoths, Mastodonts, & Elephants: Biology, Behavior,
and the Fossil Record", he mentions several famous frozen mammoth
finds. In one case, the Beryozvka mammoth, he mentions that
paleontologists Herz & Pfizenmayer excavated it. "...Some parts of the
body were shipped frozen to St. Petersburg...Dogs ate the meat, and
perhaps Herz and Pfizenmayer tasted it, but there was never a
mammoth-meat feast from this carcass..." (This animal was C-14 dated to
between 29,500 and 44,000 years old.)

Haynes suggests that the "dozen or so salvaged remains probably are
poor representations of the actual numbers of preserved carcasses that
continue to be lost as they erode away, rot, or are devoured by animals
and mutilated by ivory hunters." He goes on to write that nearly
complete mammoth carcasses date from two different time intervals:
30,000 - 40,000 years ago, and 13,000 - 10,000years ago, with skeletons
lacking preserved soft tissue found in intervening times. This may be
because the times of better preservation had more water available to
supply mud flows, which covered the carcasses.

The reference to Herz and Pfizenmayer "tasting" the meat is the only
modern-day edibility reference Haynes gives, but given his observation
that most of the preserved mammoths had an obvious cause of death, plus
the preservation not only by freezing but by mud-flows (eg, it's not
like the carcasses were quick-frozen, like a modern chicken), implies
to me that for anyone happening upon a mammoth thawing out of a cliff,
the first thought wasn't "yum!" ("Get the tusks!", more likely.)

V.
--
Veronique Chez Sheep

Posted to alt.fan.cecil-adams,rec.food.historic
D.F. Manno

In article >,
Walter Traprock > wrote:

> did people use to eat mammoth meat early last century? i've
> just read about being served mammoth meat by the Czar of Russia,
> meat dug up that's been frozen for thousands of years. there was
> no comment on the taste of he meat. book: sea devil's fo'c'sle,
> by lowell thomas (1929). OK, i'll quote all of it relating to mammoth:
>
> "and then there was mammoth's meat. It had been dug up in Siberia
> out of the ice, where it had been kept naturally refrigerated
> for thousands of years. Eating that ancient mammoth's meat is
> more common now, but then it was something new and startling."

Thousands of years of freezer burn ...
--
D.F. Manno |
I'm a thief in the house of love
Posted to alt.fan.cecil-adams,rec.food.historic
Blinky the Shark

Dilbert Firestorm wrote:

> bill van wrote:
>
>>In article >,
>> Dilbert Firestorm > wrote:

>>>you wish, maybe???
>>>

>>Dilbert, for you to go back and edit quoted material -- your
>>original post, as preserved on everyone's news server, said:
>>

>>>I heard that i was good... dunno where that reference came
>>>from
>>>

>>is ****ing dishonest. You don't do that.
>>
>>bill
>>

> I don't know why you're making a big stink over a minor
> correction I made. don't see correcting a typo as dishonest.

You changed it. Then you represented the doctored version *as
original*.

--
Blinky
Killing all Google Groups posts.
Posted to alt.fan.cecil-adams,rec.food.historic
Dilbert Firestorm

bill van wrote:

>In article >,
> Dilbert Firestorm > wrote:
>

>>bill van wrote:

>>>An old girlfriend, perhaps?
>>>

>>you wish, maybe???
>>

>Dilbert, for you to go back and edit quoted material -- your original
>post, as preserved on everyone's news server, said:
>

>>I heard that i was good... dunno where that reference came from
>>

>is ****ing dishonest. You don't do that.
>
>bill

I don't know why you're making a big stink over a minor correction I
made. don't see correcting a typo as dishonest.

one little ol' letter never hurt anyone anyways...

Posted to alt.fan.cecil-adams,rec.food.historic
Joseph Michael Bay

Dilbert Firestorm > writes:

>I don't know why you're making a big stink over a minor correction I
>made. don't see correcting a typo as dishonest.

>one little ol' letter never hurt anyone anyways...

Oh yeah? What about the medieval heretical sect that was
founded because a monk mistakeny wrote "The LORD is immoral"?

I mean, they had a good time and all, right up until the
Inquisition, but it didn't work out well for them.

Posted to alt.fan.cecil-adams,rec.food.historic
M C Hamster

"Dilbert Firestorm" > wrote in message
>M C Hamster wrote:
>

>>This is taco, except for the important "taco" taco.
>>

> what's taco about taco?

Well, you can taco it or you can leave it.

--
M C Hamster "Big Wheel Keep on Turnin'" -- Creedence Clearwater Revival

Posted to alt.fan.cecil-adams,rec.food.historic
Dilbert Firestorm

M C Hamster wrote:

>"bill van" > wrote in message
>
>>In article >,
>>Dilbert Firestorm > wrote:

>>>you wish, maybe???
>>>

>>Dilbert, for you to go back and edit quoted material -- your original
>>post, as preserved on everyone's news server, said:
>>

>>>I heard that i was good... dunno where that reference came from
>>>

>>is ****ing dishonest. You don't do that.
>>

>This is true, except for the important "taco" codicil.

what's important about taco?
Posted to alt.fan.cecil-adams,rec.food.historic
Dilbert Firestorm

Joseph Michael Bay wrote:

>Dilbert Firestorm > writes:
>

>>I don't know why you're making a big stink over a minor correction I
>>made. don't see correcting a typo as dishonest.
>>

>>one little ol' letter never hurt anyone anyways...
>>

>Oh yeah? What about the medieval heretical sect that was
>founded because a monk mistakeny wrote "The LORD is immoral"?
>
>I mean, they had a good time and all, right up until the
>Inquisition, but it didn't work out well for them.

after its been corrected??????
Posted to alt.fan.cecil-adams,rec.food.historic
bill van

In article >,
Dilbert Firestorm > wrote:

> >>you wish, maybe???

> >Dilbert, for you to go back and edit quoted material -- your original
> >post, as preserved on everyone's news server, said:
> >
> >>I heard that i was good... dunno where that reference came from

> >is ****ing dishonest. You don't do that.
> >
> >bill
> >

> I don't know why you're making a big stink over a minor correction I
> made. don't see correcting a typo as dishonest.
>
> one little ol' letter never hurt anyone anyways...

Sorry, no joke. The subject material wasn't serious. But like many posts
here, my response was a riff on an obvious typo. For you to pretend you
never made the typo by fixing it in your subsequent response is
dishonest. It violates a basic trust we need to be able to talk to each
other in this forum.

bill
Posted to alt.fan.cecil-adams,rec.food.historic
Dilbert Firestorm

bill van wrote:

>In article >,
> Dilbert Firestorm > wrote:

>>>Dilbert, for you to go back and edit quoted material -- your original

>>>is ****ing dishonest. You don't do that.
>>>
>>>bill
>>>

>>I don't know why you're making a big stink over a minor correction I
>>made. don't see correcting a typo as dishonest.
>>
>>one little ol' letter never hurt anyone anyways...
>>

>Sorry, no joke. The subject material wasn't serious. But like many posts
>here, my response was a riff on an obvious typo. For you to pretend you
>never made the typo by fixing it in your subsequent response is
>dishonest. It violates a basic trust we need to be able to talk to each
>other in this forum.
>
>bill

ok,

I was thoughtless in fixing that typo.

prolly should have left alone, but I didn't think anyone would make a
big whoo-ha over a letter, least all from you!

calling someone dishonest & lying is really going too far with that
insinuation and over a god damn letter!

Posted to alt.fan.cecil-adams,rec.food.historic
Charles Wm. Dimmick

Bob Ward wrote:

> The monk came out of the archives, his face ashen.".... the word was
> CelebRate...."

Which joke never worked for me, knowing full well that
being celibate was never a requirement before the Council
of Trent. And even there, although "caelibatus" is in the
Latin of the proceedings, as is also the word "celebratus",
there would be no way to confuse the two in context.

Charles
Posted to alt.fan.cecil-adams,rec.food.historic
Charles Gifford

"Walter Traprock" > wrote in message
> did people use to eat mammoth meat early last century? i've
> just read about being served mammoth meat by the Czar of Russia,
> meat dug up that's been frozen for thousands of years. there was
> no comment on the taste of he meat. book: sea devil's fo'c'sle,
> by lowell thomas (1929). OK, i'll quote all of it relating to mammoth:
>
> "and then there was mammoth's meat. It had been dug up in Siberia
> out of the ice, where it had been kept naturally refrigerated
> for thousands of years. Eating that ancient mammoth's meat is
> more common now, but then it was something new and startling."

One of my uncles ate mammoth meat they had uncovered...I think in Alaska but
it could have been Canada. This would have been in the early part of the
20th century. He said it was not very good eating. I still have a few bits
of tusk from that animal that he carved into tie clasps and such things.

Charlie

Posted to alt.fan.cecil-adams,rec.food.historic
Charles Wm. Dimmick

Joseph Michael Bay wrote:

> "Charles Wm. Dimmick" > writes:
>

>>Bob Ward wrote:

>> > The monk came out of the archives, his face ashen.".... the word was

>>>CelebRate...."

>>Which joke never worked for me, knowing full well that
>>being celibate was never a requirement before the Council
>>of Trent. And even there, although "caelibatus" is in the
>>Latin of the proceedings, as is also the word "celebratus",
>>there would be no way to confuse the two in context.

> Never worked for me because "celebrate" is a verb. What
> would it say, "priests have to remain celebrate"? Durr.

For more on celibacy within the Church, see:

http://www.cbcisite.com/Celibacyincatholicchurch.htm

Charles
Posted to alt.fan.cecil-adams,rec.food.historic
Tim Wright

Walter Traprock wrote:
> did people use to eat mammoth meat early last century? i've
> just read about being served mammoth meat by the Czar of Russia,
> meat dug up that's been frozen for thousands of years. there was
> no comment on the taste of he meat. book: sea devil's fo'c'sle,
> by lowell thomas (1929). OK, i'll quote all of it relating to mammoth:
>
> "and then there was mammoth's meat. It had been dug up in Siberia
> out of the ice, where it had been kept naturally refrigerated
> for thousands of years. Eating that ancient mammoth's meat is
> more common now, but then it was something new and startling."

Every time I read this subject line, my mind precedes it with, "Great
green gobs of greasy, grimey, gopher guts".

--

Tim W

This mind intentionally left blank.