mammoth meat

« Book help | Biscuit »

Old 25-11-2005, 06:27 AM posted to alt.fan.cecil-adams,rec.food.historic
Usenet poster

Default mammoth meat

did people use to eat mammoth meat early last century? i've
just read about being served mammoth meat by the Czar of Russia,
meat dug up that's been frozen for thousands of years. there was
no comment on the taste of he meat. book: sea devil's fo'c'sle,
by lowell thomas (1929). OK, i'll quote all of it relating to mammoth:

"and then there was mammoth's meat. It had been dug up in Siberia
out of the ice, where it had been kept naturally refrigerated
for thousands of years. Eating that ancient mammoth's meat is
more common now, but then it was something new and startling."
Old 25-11-2005, 07:09 AM posted to alt.fan.cecil-adams,rec.food.historic
Usenet poster

Walter Traprock wrote:

did people use to eat mammoth meat early last century? i've
just read about being served mammoth meat by the Czar of Russia,
meat dug up that's been frozen for thousands of years. there was
no comment on the taste of he meat. book: sea devil's fo'c'sle,
by lowell thomas (1929). OK, i'll quote all of it relating to mammoth:

"and then there was mammoth's meat. It had been dug up in Siberia
out of the ice, where it had been kept naturally refrigerated
for thousands of years. Eating that ancient mammoth's meat is
more common now, but then it was something new and startling."

I'm sure there are more pages you can read:
http://archives.stupidquestion.net/sq21405.html

--
"Throw me that lipstick, darling, I wanna redo my stigmata."

+-Jennifer Saunders, "Absolutely Fabulous"
Old 25-11-2005, 07:13 AM posted to alt.fan.cecil-adams,rec.food.historic
Usenet poster

In article ,
Dilbert Firestorm wrote:

Walter Traprock wrote:

did people use to eat mammoth meat early last century? i've
just read about being served mammoth meat by the Czar of Russia,
meat dug up that's been frozen for thousands of years. there was
no comment on the taste of he meat. book: sea devil's fo'c'sle,
by lowell thomas (1929). OK, i'll quote all of it relating to mammoth:

"and then there was mammoth's meat. It had been dug up in Siberia
out of the ice, where it had been kept naturally refrigerated
for thousands of years. Eating that ancient mammoth's meat is
more common now, but then it was something new and startling."

I heard that i was good... dunno where that reference came from

An old girlfriend, perhaps?
Old 25-11-2005, 07:22 AM posted to alt.fan.cecil-adams,rec.food.historic
Usenet poster

Walter Traprock wrote:

did people use to eat mammoth meat early last century? i've
just read about being served mammoth meat by the Czar of Russia,
meat dug up that's been frozen for thousands of years. there was
no comment on the taste of he meat. book: sea devil's fo'c'sle,
by lowell thomas (1929). OK, i'll quote all of it relating to mammoth:

"and then there was mammoth's meat. It had been dug up in Siberia
out of the ice, where it had been kept naturally refrigerated
for thousands of years. Eating that ancient mammoth's meat is
more common now, but then it was something new and startling."

According to http://archives.stupidquestion.net/sq21405.html, "There
is no reliable report of a modern human eating any part of a frozen
mammoth—and very few unreliable reports, for that matter."

The page goes on about the unfeasibility of eating frozen mammoth, but
does mention that a University of Alaska professor, along with some
chosen friends, chowed down on stew made from a 36,000-year-old bison
and found it "agreeable."

I couldn't say how reliable the research on stupidquestion.net is, but I
also can't say I've ever seen a report of anybody actually eating
ancient mammoth meat. Even the Flintstones only ate the fresh stuff.

--
Ulo Melton
http://www.sewergator.com - Your Pipeline To Adventure
Old 25-11-2005, 07:42 AM posted to alt.fan.cecil-adams,rec.food.historic
Usenet poster

In article ,
Dilbert Firestorm wrote:

bill van wrote:

In article ,
Dilbert Firestorm wrote:

Walter Traprock wrote:

did people use to eat mammoth meat early last century? i've
just read about being served mammoth meat by the Czar of Russia,
meat dug up that's been frozen for thousands of years. there was
no comment on the taste of he meat. book: sea devil's fo'c'sle,
by lowell thomas (1929). OK, i'll quote all of it relating to mammoth:

"and then there was mammoth's meat. It had been dug up in Siberia
out of the ice, where it had been kept naturally refrigerated
for thousands of years. Eating that ancient mammoth's meat is
more common now, but then it was something new and startling."

I heard that it was good... dunno where that reference came from

An old girlfriend, perhaps?

you wish, maybe???

Dilbert, for you to go back and edit quoted material -- your original
post, as preserved on everyone's news server, said:

I heard that i was good... dunno where that reference came from

is ****ing dishonest. You don't do that.

bill

Old 25-11-2005, 08:27 AM posted to alt.fan.cecil-adams,rec.food.historic
Usenet poster

Bill Bonde ('by a commodius vicus of recirculation') wrote:

Walter Traprock wrote:

did people use to eat mammoth meat early last century? i've
just read about being served mammoth meat by the Czar of Russia,
meat dug up that's been frozen for thousands of years. there was
no comment on the taste of he meat. book: sea devil's fo'c'sle,
by lowell thomas (1929). OK, i'll quote all of it relating to mammoth:

"and then there was mammoth's meat. It had been dug up in Siberia
out of the ice, where it had been kept naturally refrigerated
for thousands of years. Eating that ancient mammoth's meat is
more common now, but then it was something new and startling."

I'm sure there are more pages you can read:
http://archives.stupidquestion.net/sq21405.html

at least there is one case for eating frozen ancient bison meat!

Old 25-11-2005, 02:08 PM posted to alt.fan.cecil-adams,rec.food.historic
Usenet poster

Walter Traprock wrote:
did people use to eat mammoth meat early last century? i've
just read about being served mammoth meat by the Czar of Russia,
meat dug up that's been frozen for thousands of years. there was
no comment on the taste of he meat. book: sea devil's fo'c'sle,
by lowell thomas (1929). OK, i'll quote all of it relating to mammoth:

"and then there was mammoth's meat. It had been dug up in Siberia
out of the ice, where it had been kept naturally refrigerated
for thousands of years. Eating that ancient mammoth's meat is
more common now, but then it was something new and startling."

There's something in Gulag Archipelago about involuntary residents of
Siberia finding and eating ancient meat out of the ice. Solzhenitsyn
quotes the Soviet journal in which the discovery was reported as saying
that those who found the stuff ate it quite happily, and notes that
nobody seems to have wondered just how hungry they had to be to do
that...

Old 25-11-2005, 02:43 PM posted to alt.fan.cecil-adams,rec.food.historic
Usenet poster

Walter Traprock wrote:

did people use to eat mammoth meat early last century? i've
just read about being served mammoth meat by the Czar of Russia,
meat dug up that's been frozen for thousands of years. there was
no comment on the taste of he meat. book: sea devil's fo'c'sle,
by lowell thomas (1929). OK, i'll quote all of it relating to mammoth:

"and then there was mammoth's meat. It had been dug up in Siberia
out of the ice, where it had been kept naturally refrigerated
for thousands of years. Eating that ancient mammoth's meat is
more common now, but then it was something new and startling."

Sometime back in the 30s the Explorer's Club in NYC had a
banquet in which one of the items on the menu was mammoth
meat [unless it was mastodon meat; I no longer remember].
I had occasion to talk with one of the people who had been
at that banquet and asked him what it tasted like. He
told me it tasted like mud.

No, I can't give you any more detail. I don't remember his
name; some friend of the family I met back around 1956.

Charles
Old 25-11-2005, 04:34 PM posted to alt.fan.cecil-adams,rec.food.historic
Usenet poster

Charles Wm. Dimmick wrote:

Walter Traprock wrote:

[...]

Upon further reflection, I wonder if he was pulling my leg.
At age 16 I was still at the stage where I believed sober
adults when they told me things.

Charles
Old 25-11-2005, 05:16 PM posted to alt.fan.cecil-adams,rec.food.historic
Usenet poster

"bill van" wrote in message
Dilbert Firestorm wrote:

bill van wrote:

In article ,
Dilbert Firestorm wrote:

Walter Traprock wrote:

[...]

This is true, except for the important "taco" codicil.

--
M C Hamster "Big Wheel Keep on Turnin'" -- Creedence Clearwater Revival

Old 25-11-2005, 07:17 PM posted to alt.fan.cecil-adams,rec.food.historic
Usenet poster

M C Hamster wrote:

"bill van" wrote in message

Dilbert Firestorm wrote:

bill van wrote:

In article ,
Dilbert Firestorm wrote:

Walter Traprock wrote:

[...]

Is this the one you were referring to?

The once was a man from Morocco,
Known to all by his first name of Rocco.
He said, "to be blunt
God decreed we eat ****,
Why else would it look like a taco?"

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Old 25-11-2005, 07:39 PM posted to alt.fan.cecil-adams,rec.food.historic
Usenet poster

Walter Traprock wrote:

did people use to eat mammoth meat early last century? i've
just read about being served mammoth meat by the Czar of Russia,
meat dug up that's been frozen for thousands of years. there was
no comment on the taste of he meat. book: sea devil's fo'c'sle,
by lowell thomas (1929). OK, i'll quote all of it relating to mammoth:

"and then there was mammoth's meat. It had been dug up in Siberia
out of the ice, where it had been kept naturally refrigerated
for thousands of years. Eating that ancient mammoth's meat is
more common now, but then it was something new and startling."

I can't speak about the eating of mammoth meat, but as I've long been
interested in carved ivory artworks I know about the active and thriving
industry involving the excavation of tons of mammoth tusks wach year,
which are sold as raw material to ivory carvers around the world.

I've heard recently that global warming has caused some of the ice
covering northern shorelines to melt further back, exposing more areas
where mammoth tusks can be dug up.

The ivory from mammoth tusks looks and carves almost identically to that
from elephant tusks, it takes the right lighting and a trained eye to
differentiate them by the different crossing angles of their "graining".

Anyone desirous of more info about this can visit the links on this page:

http://home.comcast.net/%7Ejwisnia18...ory_links.html

Out of deference to the world's dwindling elephant population I do my
best to avoid purchasing any newly made works carved from elephant ivory.

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Old 25-11-2005, 11:58 PM posted to alt.fan.cecil-adams,rec.food.historic
Usenet poster

Walter Traprock wrote:
did people use to eat mammoth meat early last century? i've
just read about being served mammoth meat by the Czar of Russia,
meat dug up that's been frozen for thousands of years. there was
no comment on the taste of he meat. book: sea devil's fo'c'sle,
by lowell thomas (1929). OK, i'll quote all of it relating to mammoth:

"and then there was mammoth's meat. It had been dug up in Siberia
out of the ice, where it had been kept naturally refrigerated
for thousands of years. Eating that ancient mammoth's meat is
more common now, but then it was something new and startling."

In Gary Haynes' "Mammoths, Mastodonts, & Elephants: Biology, Behavior,
and the Fossil Record", he mentions several famous frozen mammoth
finds. In one case, the Beryozvka mammoth, he mentions that
paleontologists Herz & Pfizenmayer excavated it. "...Some parts of the
body were shipped frozen to St. Petersburg...Dogs ate the meat, and
perhaps Herz and Pfizenmayer tasted it, but there was never a
mammoth-meat feast from this carcass..." (This animal was C-14 dated to
between 29,500 and 44,000 years old.)

Haynes suggests that the "dozen or so salvaged remains probably are
poor representations of the actual numbers of preserved carcasses that
continue to be lost as they erode away, rot, or are devoured by animals
and mutilated by ivory hunters." He goes on to write that nearly
complete mammoth carcasses date from two different time intervals:
30,000 - 40,000 years ago, and 13,000 - 10,000years ago, with skeletons
lacking preserved soft tissue found in intervening times. This may be
because the times of better preservation had more water available to
supply mud flows, which covered the carcasses.

The reference to Herz and Pfizenmayer "tasting" the meat is the only
modern-day edibility reference Haynes gives, but given his observation
that most of the preserved mammoths had an obvious cause of death, plus
the preservation not only by freezing but by mud-flows (eg, it's not
like the carcasses were quick-frozen, like a modern chicken), implies
to me that for anyone happening upon a mammoth thawing out of a cliff,
the first thought wasn't "yum!" ("Get the tusks!", more likely.)

V.
--
Veronique Chez Sheep

« Book help | Biscuit »

Recipe: Dan Sawyer's Smokehouse Jerky Mike \Piedmont\ Barbecue 0 30-10-2005 10:28 AM
Interesting site answers meat-eater questions Sprang Vegan 542 21-07-2005 03:10 PM
barrel (or plastic bucket) packed salt cured meat John213a Preserving 10 04-10-2004 08:01 PM
newbie question M&M Barbecue 2 13-05-2004 07:23 PM
No need for farm animals. Jonathan Ball Vegan 636 21-02-2004 07:17 PM