R. Fizek

Default Swiss Steak

Hi,

Was making a favorite this weekend "Swiss Steak" and was wondering about the origin of the name for this dish? Is it really Swiss? Anyone have any info.

Thanks.

Tammy
Opinicus

"R. Fizek" > wrote in message

> Was making a favorite this weekend "Swiss Steak" and was
> wondering about the origin of the name for this dish? Is
> it really
> Swiss? Anyone have any info.

According to
http://www.foodreference.com/html/newsletterstk_34.html

<quote>
The term 'Swiss Steak', referring to a cut of beef that has
been pounded thin and floured before being cooked, may have
come from 'swissing', a British term for cloth run through
rollers to smooth the cloth.
</quote>

--
Bob

Kanyak's Doghouse
http://www.kanyak.com

Lee Rudolph

"Opinicus" > writes:

>"R. Fizek" > wrote in message
>

>> Was making a favorite this weekend "Swiss Steak" and was
>> wondering about the origin of the name for this dish? Is
>> it really
>> Swiss? Anyone have any info.

>According to
>http://www.foodreference.com/html/newsletterstk_34.html
>
><quote>
>The term 'Swiss Steak', referring to a cut of beef that has
>been pounded thin and floured before being cooked, may have
>come from 'swissing', a British term for cloth run through
>rollers to smooth the cloth.

The OED quotes L. P. de Gouy's "Gold Cookery Book" (about which
I know nothing else), p. 345: "Swiss Steak. The original name of
this recipe was `Schmor Braten'... It is three centuries old."

Lee Rudolph
Richard Wright

On Thu, 28 Apr 2005 16:41:02 GMT, "R. Fizek" >
wrote:

>Hi,
>
>Was making a favorite this weekend "Swiss Steak" and was wondering about =
>the origin of the name for this dish? Is it really Swiss? Anyone have =
>any info.
>
>Thanks.

An Oxford English Dictionary citation is "1947 L. P. De Gouy Gold
Cookery Bk. vi. 345 Swiss Steak. The original name of this recipe was
'Schmor Braten.' It is three centuries old."

This suggests that 'Swiss Steak' is an English name for a German
language Swiss recipe.

Another citation from OED is "1973 Black Panther 12 May 10/1 Safeway
was charged with mislabeling swiss steaks as round steak for an extra
profit of ten cents per pound."

Anyway - what is the recipe you use? And does the phrase apply to the
cut of meat or to a recipe - or to both?
Christophe Bachmann

In ,
Richard Wright wrote :

> On Thu, 28 Apr 2005 16:41:02 GMT, "R. Fizek" >
> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Was making a favorite this weekend "Swiss Steak" and was wondering
>> about = the origin of the name for this dish? Is it really Swiss?
>> Anyone have = any info.
>>
>> Thanks.

> An Oxford English Dictionary citation is "1947 L. P. De Gouy Gold
> Cookery Bk. vi. 345 Swiss Steak. The original name of this recipe was
> 'Schmor Braten.' It is three centuries old."
>
> This suggests that 'Swiss Steak' is an English name for a German
> language Swiss recipe.
>
> Another citation from OED is "1973 Black Panther 12 May 10/1 Safeway
> was charged with mislabeling swiss steaks as round steak for an extra
> profit of ten cents per pound."
>
> Anyway - what is the recipe you use? And does the phrase apply to the
> cut of meat or to a recipe - or to both?

AFAIK 'schmoren' is a mode of cooking which corresponds to the french
'braiser' and to the english 'stew' or 'braise' and the 'schmorbraten' is a
cut of meat from the shoulder of beef that is particularly destined to be
braised and a generic name of any braised meat recipe more than one
specific recipe.

--
Salutations, greetings,
Guiraud Belissen, Chteau du Ciel, Drachenwald

TOliver

"Christophe Bachmann" > wrote in message
> In ,
> Richard Wright wrote :
>
>> On Thu, 28 Apr 2005 16:41:02 GMT, "R. Fizek" >
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Was making a favorite this weekend "Swiss Steak" and was wondering
>>> about = the origin of the name for this dish? Is it really Swiss?
>>> Anyone have = any info.
>>>
>>> Thanks.

>> An Oxford English Dictionary citation is "1947 L. P. De Gouy Gold
>> Cookery Bk. vi. 345 Swiss Steak. The original name of this recipe was
>> 'Schmor Braten.' It is three centuries old."
>>
>> This suggests that 'Swiss Steak' is an English name for a German
>> language Swiss recipe.
>>
>> Another citation from OED is "1973 Black Panther 12 May 10/1 Safeway
>> was charged with mislabeling swiss steaks as round steak for an extra
>> profit of ten cents per pound."

>> Anyway - what is the recipe you use? And does the phrase apply to the
>> cut of meat or to a recipe - or to both?

To my tender sensibilities, the only cut appropriate for "Swiss Steak" is of
the round/butt/lean hindquarter, also the traditional source for "Chicken
Fried Steak" or "Country Fried Steak"

> AFAIK 'schmoren' is a mode of cooking which corresponds to the french
> 'braiser' and to the english 'stew' or 'braise' and the 'schmorbraten' is
> a cut of meat from the shoulder of beef that is particularly destined to
> be braised and a generic name of any braised meat recipe more than one
> specific recipe.

Sounds right to me, especailly since the damnable Switzers only kill adult
cattle at a ripe old age after squeezing the last drop of milk or the last
bit of work from them, and braising is the only hope....(Actually, Swiss
Steak" is best when the cut is from a steer or cow (or even bull) with
several years on the clock).

TMO

R. Fizek

Wow - thanks to one and all -- I'll never think of Swiss Steak as an average, weekday meal again! I actually thought that the "Swiss" might have something to do the type sauce as I've always encountered this dish with a tomato based sauce.

As to my recipe - nothing special! I usually use round steak, pound it, flour, salt & pepper and brown it in butter. Then put it in a casserole and add a small can tomato sauce, can beef broth and some Worcestershire sauce and a little brown sugar and forget about it for about 1 1/2 - 2 hours. Mashed potatoes and cream style corn - true comfort food straight from my Mama.

Tammy
"TOliver" > wrote in message ...

"Christophe Bachmann" > wrote in message
> In ,
> Richard Wright wrote :
>
>> On Thu, 28 Apr 2005 16:41:02 GMT, "R. Fizek" >
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Was making a favorite this weekend "Swiss Steak" and was wondering
>>> about = the origin of the name for this dish? Is it really Swiss?
>>> Anyone have = any info.
>>>
>>> Thanks.

>> An Oxford English Dictionary citation is "1947 L. P. De Gouy Gold
>> Cookery Bk. vi. 345 Swiss Steak. The original name of this recipe was
>> 'Schmor Braten.' It is three centuries old."
>>
>> This suggests that 'Swiss Steak' is an English name for a German
>> language Swiss recipe.
>>
>> Another citation from OED is "1973 Black Panther 12 May 10/1 Safeway
>> was charged with mislabeling swiss steaks as round steak for an extra
>> profit of ten cents per pound."

>> Anyway - what is the recipe you use? And does the phrase apply to the
>> cut of meat or to a recipe - or to both?

To my tender sensibilities, the only cut appropriate for "Swiss Steak" is of
the round/butt/lean hindquarter, also the traditional source for "Chicken
Fried Steak" or "Country Fried Steak"

> AFAIK 'schmoren' is a mode of cooking which corresponds to the french
> 'braiser' and to the english 'stew' or 'braise' and the 'schmorbraten' is
> a cut of meat from the shoulder of beef that is particularly destined to
> be braised and a generic name of any braised meat recipe more than one
> specific recipe.

Sounds right to me, especailly since the damnable Switzers only kill adult
cattle at a ripe old age after squeezing the last drop of milk or the last
bit of work from them, and braising is the only hope....(Actually, Swiss
Steak" is best when the cut is from a steer or cow (or even bull) with
several years on the clock).

TMO

R. Fizek

OoPs - forgot, I sauté thick sliced onions with the "Swiss steak" in the butter and then add to the dish as well.

Tammy