Fava Beans in ancient Egypt?

Old 12-11-2004, 12:29 AM
FANTIMA
Usenet poster

Default Fava Beans in ancient Egypt?

I am curious if the ancient Egyptians had fava beans to eat. In modern
Egypt we have a national dish called Ful Medames which is made from
fava. Some believe this might be a very ancient Egyptian dish. In
Greco-Roman writers some papyrus soup is mentioned but the writers did
not go into much details. Alan K. Bowman in his book Egypt After the
Pharaohs mentions this. Any suggestions or comments?
Old 12-11-2004, 11:40 PM
FANTIMA
Usenet poster

{ Local culture and heirloom strains of favas
ancient origin, but exactly how ancient hasn't been determined yet, so
far as I can tell.]

Do you think this might be the papyrus type soup described in
Greco-Roman sources? I got thie information from Alan K. Bowman's
book entitled Egypt After the Pharaohs. This book talks about the
papyrus type soup that might be the predsessor of Ful Medames.

Duck Fat richard green General Cooking 31 26-07-2004 02:08 AM
Duck Fat Mr. Wizard General Cooking 34 23-07-2004 05:17 AM
Tuscan Bean Soup (5) Collection Edoc Recipes (moderated) 0 11-02-2004 02:17 AM
Addenda: Great Northern Bean Soup a La Nita [email protected] Recipes (moderated) 0 20-12-2003 05:55 PM
Turkish White Beans (3) Collection Edoc Recipes (moderated) 0 19-11-2003 04:47 PM