Term for Wine Expert-not Sommelier?

Old 21-01-2004, 05:55 AM
Sarah
Usenet poster

Default Term for Wine Expert-not Sommelier?

I am curious to be reminded of the term for the highest level of wine
expert there is---they are higher in rank and expertise than a
sommelier. They are allowed to wear a wine barrel symbol to symbolize
their expertise, as well as the tasting spoon of the sommelier. Does
anyone have any idea of what the heck I'm talking about? It's a
french term, and there are three or four words total to this term.
TIA, Sarah
Old 26-01-2004, 01:40 AM
Richard Hurwitz
Usenet poster

Could it be Maitre de Tastevin, o Chevalier de Maitre de Tastevin?

Old 26-01-2004, 06:28 AM
Sarah
Usenet poster

Richard Hurwitz wrote in message .com...
Could it be Maitre de Tastevin, o Chevalier de Maitre de Tastevin?

Hi Richard, This doesn't sound familiar--I'll check and get back to
you-may take a couple days. Thanks very much, Sarah
Old 06-02-2004, 10:00 PM
Dave MacGee
Usenet poster

From www.wineducation.com
Sommelier (so-mel-yay)

A rather formal name for a wine steward or wine waiter. There is a Master
Sommelier designation for those that have passed a rigorous exam, although
very few people selling wine in a restaurant have such training. It has been
said that the term itself goes back to the days when wine was driven to
market in cask on a mule train. The mule driver was the "Sommelier" and
since he also sold the wine, the name stuck. Beware of anyone who brandishes
this title unless they are indeed a Master Sommelier.

or alternately
Enology - also Oenology

The science of wine production.

----