Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Speaking of BLT's . . .

I had two of them for dinner last night.
My aunt had given me a homegrown tomato which someone
had give her. It was medium sized. I didn't have
any l so I guess I really had a BT. I cut the tomato
into 4 thick slices and put 2 slices on each sandwich.
I slathered the toasted buns with MW. Boy were those
sandwiches good. Sometimes I think I could eat BLT's
every day of my life! Pure bliss!

Kate

--
Kate Connally
Until you bite their heads off.”

Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

Kate Connally wrote:
[snip] Sometimes I think I could eat BLT's
> every day of my life! Pure bliss!

I used to think BLTs were the clear winner among all sandwiches until I
added avocado slices to one. Now I know that BLTAs rule! Best Foods
mayo, though, not MW, but we don't need to argue about that....:-)
-aem

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Kate Connally wrote:
> I had two of them for dinner last night.
> My aunt had given me a homegrown tomato which someone
> had give her. It was medium sized. I didn't have
> any l so I guess I really had a BT. I cut the tomato
> into 4 thick slices and put 2 slices on each sandwich.
> I slathered the toasted buns with MW. Boy were those
> sandwiches good. Sometimes I think I could eat BLT's
> every day of my life! Pure bliss!
>
> Kate

I do miss a good BLT.....

-L.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 28 Aug 2006 10:16:01 -0700, "aem" > wrote:

>Kate Connally wrote:
> [snip] Sometimes I think I could eat BLT's
>> every day of my life! Pure bliss!
>>

>I used to think BLTs were the clear winner among all sandwiches until I
>added avocado slices to one. Now I know that BLTAs rule! Best Foods
>mayo, though, not MW, but we don't need to argue about that....:-)
>-aem

Ooh..that sounds good. I think I will pick up some avocados on my
jaunts around the town today. I have all of the other
ingredients....

Christine

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"-L." > wrote:

> I do miss a good BLT.....

They are good. Today I had a tomato sandwich,
lots of mayo, one of those monster late summer
garden tomatoes (first good one I have gotten at
the store!) and a thin slice of cheddar on a whole
wheat bun. It was nearly as good, and no nitrites.
Although ... if it has nitrites, I usually love it.

Why can't you have a BLT? You're doing WW,
don't they allow them? (I know nothing of the plan.)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Kate wrote:

> I had two of them for dinner last night.
> My aunt had given me a homegrown tomato which someone
> had give her. It was medium sized. I didn't have
> any l so I guess I really had a BT.

Ever tried a bacon-tomato-peanut butter sandwich?

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bob Terwilliger wrote:

> Ever tried a bacon-tomato-peanut butter sandwich?
>
> Bob

I love bacon and peanut butter on toast.
But even more.. I love fried pepperoni (just heated in a pan till crisp)
and peanut butter sandwiches on toast.
Goomba
Posted to rec.food.cooking

cybercat wrote:
> "-L." > wrote:
> >
> > I do miss a good BLT.....
> >

> They are good. Today I had a tomato sandwich,
> lots of mayo, one of those monster late summer
> garden tomatoes (first good one I have gotten at
> the store!) and a thin slice of cheddar on a whole
> wheat bun. It was nearly as good, and no nitrites.
> Although ... if it has nitrites, I usually love it.
>
> Why can't you have a BLT? You're doing WW,
> don't they allow them? (I know nothing of the plan.)

They do. You can have anything you want with WW - you just have to
keep track of what you are eating. I don't eat bacon because of the
nitrites. My favorite sam is tomato on pita, with either cucumbers or
lettuce, or both, with tons of non-fat sour cream dosed with tons of
garlic, a little green onion, salt and black pepper. I have been
eating them almost every day this summer...I just wish I had some time
to make my own pita bread.

-L.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

BLTs are nice, as are BLTAs. But if you have really good tomatoes,
nothing beats a plain tomato sandwich.

The local Whole Foods is carrying an assortment of locally-grown
herirloom tomatoes at $3.99/lb. I've been eating them in sandwiches and
salads of all sorts for the last few weeks.

mike

http://smsfr.blogspot.com

"Those who forget the pasta are condemned to reheat it."

Posted to rec.food.cooking

ke8yy wrote:

> BLTs are nice, as are BLTAs. But if you have really good tomatoes,
> nothing beats a plain tomato sandwich.

I'm with you. I have a bunch of tomatoes I just got at the local
produce store, small but very tasty. I like them sliced up and eaten in
sandwich. Sometimes thin slices of sharp cheddar too, but often just
the tomatoes.

Brian

won't shut up.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bob Terwilliger wrote:

> Kate wrote:
>
> > I had two of them for dinner last night.
> > My aunt had given me a homegrown tomato which someone
> > had give her. It was medium sized. I didn't have
> > any l so I guess I really had a BT.

> Ever tried a bacon-tomato-peanut butter sandwich?
>
> Bob

No, but I'm sure it would be good. However, I think
I really prefer the classic BLT. It has the virtue
of simplicity of flavors. Add pb and it starts getting
too complicated. Some of the best things in life
are the simplest. And some of the best foods in
life are the simplest.

Kate

--
Kate Connally
Until you bite their heads off.”

Posted to rec.food.cooking

aem wrote:

> Kate Connally wrote:
> [snip] Sometimes I think I could eat BLT's
> > every day of my life! Pure bliss!
> >

> I used to think BLTs were the clear winner among all sandwiches until I
> added avocado slices to one. Now I know that BLTAs rule! Best Foods
> mayo, though, not MW, but we don't need to argue about that....:-)
> -aem

Gack! What a horrid thing to do to a perfectly good
BLT. Avocados are pure evil. :-P :-)

Kate
--
Kate Connally
Until you bite their heads off.”

Posted to rec.food.cooking

ke8yy wrote:

> BLTs are nice, as are BLTAs. But if you have really good tomatoes,
> nothing beats a plain tomato sandwich.

Speaking of which, one time at a cafeteria with a friend,
she ordered some sort of sandwich with lettuce and tomato.
I was right behind her and so I said I'd have the lettuce
and tomato also, assuming they knew I meant the same sandwich
with lettuce and tomato on it. However I got a lettuce and
tomato sandwich. It wasn't bad. :-)

Kate

--
Kate Connally
Until you bite their heads off.”

Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

ke8yy wrote:
> BLTs are nice, as are BLTAs. But if you have really good tomatoes,
> nothing beats a plain tomato sandwich. [snip]

We have a friend who loves tomato sandwiches and cucumber sandwiches.
She insists that both must be made with good butter, not with
mayonnaise. I'm almost convinced, but it's quite hard to stifle the
reflex to grab the mayo jar. -aem

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Kate Connally" > wrote in message
> aem wrote:
> >
> > Kate Connally wrote:
> > [snip] Sometimes I think I could eat BLT's
> > > every day of my life! Pure bliss!
> > >

> > I used to think BLTs were the clear winner among all sandwiches until I
> > added avocado slices to one. Now I know that BLTAs rule! Best Foods
> > mayo, though, not MW, but we don't need to argue about that....:-)
> > -aem

> Gack! What a horrid thing to do to a perfectly good
> BLT. Avocados are pure evil. :-P :-)

It took me years to get used to the texture of an avocado, but now I can't
live without them. I like my BLT's with avocado, swiss cheese and even a
slice of pineapple, on toasted whole wheat bread.

kili

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Kate replied:

>> Ever tried a bacon-tomato-peanut butter sandwich?

> No, but I'm sure it would be good. However, I think
> I really prefer the classic BLT. It has the virtue
> of simplicity of flavors. Add pb and it starts getting
> too complicated. Some of the best things in life
> are the simplest. And some of the best foods in
> life are the simplest.

Complicated? A bacon-tomato-peanut butter sandwich has the same number of
ingredients as a BLT -- or less, if you put mayo on your BLT's (as I do).
How is a BLT simpler?

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Kate Connally" > wrote

> Speaking of which, one time at a cafeteria with a friend,
> she ordered some sort of sandwich with lettuce and tomato.
> I was right behind her and so I said I'd have the lettuce
> and tomato also, assuming they knew I meant the same sandwich
> with lettuce and tomato on it. However I got a lettuce and
> tomato sandwich. It wasn't bad. :-)

That's pretty funny. I guess next time you said, I'll have
the same thing. Wouldn't surprise me if they just thought
you were a vegetarian or something. I love tomato sandwiches,
and I love lettuce sandwiches, so I would be fine with that, too.

A friend of mine once asked for her burger well done. It arrived,
all lonely, on a plate. She looked at it, all disappointed, finally
called the waitress over, can I have a roll? (laugh) Oh, I thought
you said No bun. Who knows if the burger was well done as she'd
asked.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bob Terwilliger wrote:

> Complicated? A bacon-tomato-peanut butter sandwich has the same
> number of ingredients as a BLT -- or less, if you put mayo on your
> BLT's (as I do). How is a BLT simpler?
>
> Bob

I also had a BLT with green tomatoes at a cafe in Blowing Rock North
Carolina. My mother liked pineapple sandwiches, banana sandwiches and tomato
sandwiches, all 3 where made with mayonnaises.

--

Joe Cilinceon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bob Terwilliger wrote:

> Kate replied:
>
> >> Ever tried a bacon-tomato-peanut butter sandwich?

> > No, but I'm sure it would be good. However, I think
> > I really prefer the classic BLT. It has the virtue
> > of simplicity of flavors. Add pb and it starts getting
> > too complicated. Some of the best things in life
> > are the simplest. And some of the best foods in
> > life are the simplest.

> Complicated? A bacon-tomato-peanut butter sandwich has the same number of
> ingredients as a BLT -- or less, if you put mayo on your BLT's (as I do).
> How is a BLT simpler?
>
> Bob

Well, first I guess I wrongly assumed a BLT with pb
added. But even if you leave off the L you still have
the pb and B with competing flavors - i.e. savory salty.
And the mayo (MW in my case) is de riguer on a BLT so
I may have wrongly assumed you would still have the mayo
since I was assuming a BLT base.

So comparing a BLT (w/mayo) to a BpbT (no mayo/no L) I guess
the flavors are not necessarily more complicated, but I
think the closeness in flavors of the B and the pb would
be the thing I would find less appealing than the contrasting
flavors and textures of the classic BLT.

Kate

--
Kate Connally
Until you bite their heads off.”

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Joe Cilinceon wrote:

> Bob Terwilliger wrote:
> >
> > Complicated? A bacon-tomato-peanut butter sandwich has the same
> > number of ingredients as a BLT -- or less, if you put mayo on your
> > BLT's (as I do). How is a BLT simpler?
> >
> > Bob

> I also had a BLT with green tomatoes at a cafe in Blowing Rock North
> Carolina. My mother liked pineapple sandwiches, banana sandwiches and tomato
> sandwiches, all 3 where made with mayonnaises.
>
> --
>
> Joe Cilinceon

Hmmm? I think mayo on a pineapple sandwich would work but
I don't think I'd like it on a banana sandwich.

And a BLP would be an awesome sandwich - bacon, lettuce, and
pineapple.

Kate

--
Kate Connally
Until you bite their heads off.”

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"-L." > wrote
> They do. You can have anything you want with WW - you just have to
> keep track of what you are eating. I don't eat bacon because of the
> nitrites.

I missed this somehow. Very smart. Nitrites scare me, and I don't scare
easily.