Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default How do your dinners come together?

I thought it would be interesting to read about your favorite
combinations of foods for dinner. Which starch, meat, veggie
combination is your favorite?

For some reason, I can't eat pork chops without candied yams and
collard greens. Or spaghetti and meat sauce without vinagrette
dressed green salad, garlic bread, and devilled eggs as side dishes.

It would be fun to get some new ideas.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ludmillia wrote:
> I thought it would be interesting to read about your favorite
> combinations of foods for dinner. Which starch, meat, veggie
> combination is your favorite?
>
> For some reason, I can't eat pork chops without candied yams and
> collard greens. Or spaghetti and meat sauce without vinagrette
> dressed green salad, garlic bread, and devilled eggs as side dishes.
>
> It would be fun to get some new ideas.

I never would have thought of devilied eggs with spaghetti!

I love the combo of soup. salad, and hearty bread in the winter. Or,
beans, cornbread, and fruit salad. Enchiladas or fajitas, guacamole,
beans, rice, and my southwestern caesar salad. Zucchini casserole with
buttered noodles and sliced tomato salad. Chili with cheese, sour
cream, and tortilla chips.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 27 Aug 2006 20:17:56 -0700, "Ludmillia" > wrote:

>I thought it would be interesting to read about your favorite
>combinations of foods for dinner. Which starch, meat, veggie
>combination is your favorite?
>
>For some reason, I can't eat pork chops without candied yams and
>collard greens. Or spaghetti and meat sauce without vinagrette
>dressed green salad, garlic bread, and devilled eggs as side dishes.
>
>It would be fun to get some new ideas.

Steak, green salad and baguette.
Oysters (raw), rye bread with butter, shallot vinegar.

Nathalie in Switzerland

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ludmillia wrote:
> I thought it would be interesting to read about your favorite
> combinations of foods for dinner. Which starch, meat, veggie
> combination is your favorite?

Favorite Fall and Winter dinners (in anticipation of this heat and
drought ending soon):
Bone-in pork loin roasted with potatoes, parsnips, carrots and onion,
with steamed broccoli and warm baked apple.

Corned beef with cabbage, potatoes, carrots and parsley sauce.

Spare ribs braised with sauerkraut, apples and bacon in beer, with
spicy black eyed peas on the side.

Fried smothered chicken, mashed potatoes, green beans cooked southern
style with ham...............mmmmmmmmmmmmm. Pass the bisquits and
honey, please!

Sandy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wow! I knew, after lurking and reading, that you are all serious about
good food! This has been fun and interesting. I hope that more ideas
abound. Sometimes, having been through a terrible illness, I have
trouble getting an appetite.

I shoud add that my devilled eggs are real devils. I don't have and
exact recipe, but cider vinegar, or, sometimes, lemon juice and a bit
of oil from the rind provide more tang. Years ago, someone hipped me
to adding a dash of Colemans dry mustard. If I have good paprika on
hand...well! I don't add crunchy stuff, like celery. Makes me kind of
nervous to bite into crunchy stuff when eating devilled egg.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ludmillia" > wrote

> abound. Sometimes, having been through a terrible illness, I have
> trouble getting an appetite.

So sorry to hear that.

> I shoud add that my devilled eggs are real devils. I don't have and
> exact recipe, but cider vinegar, or, sometimes, lemon juice and a bit
> of oil from the rind provide more tang. Years ago, someone hipped me
> to adding a dash of Colemans dry mustard. If I have good paprika on
> hand...well! I don't add crunchy stuff, like celery. Makes me kind of
> nervous to bite into crunchy stuff when eating devilled egg.

That made me laugh. Got to agree with you there. Ack, is that shell??
I like relish in my devilled eggs, not too much. Just to give it that
something.
Also, I like cayenne.

No matter how you slice it, I love devilled eggs.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

I always serve flank steak (marinated in Italian dressing & broiled or
grilled) with brussels sprouts and some kind of tater. I don't think
I've EVER served it without the sprouts!

And I can't eat salmon without rice.

Whenever I am eating sushi, I HAVE to drink Sprite with it. Best
combination ever!!

~Shelly

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Despite being an omnivore - prefer to have more veg with the meals I
prepare, 30-40% meat/poultry/seafood and the rest veg.
usually try to include at least 4 or 5 veg to each meal and vary from
day to day. Having said that, no one (except me) will eat salad (ewww!
that's rabbit food) unless it's contained between two pieces of bread
(aka sandwich).

Family favourites at present..
eye fillet, jacket potato, jacket baked yam (*sweet orange potato) corn
on cob, steamed baby spinach, griddled tomato, onion & chilli jam

rare roast beef; yorkshire pud; roast garlic potatoes, yams* and
butternut pumpkin; brussels sprouts; peas and gravy

corned beef; (s)mashed new potatoes; mashed carrots; stir fry cabbage,
chilli, onion ginger and garlic; baby peas or buttered spinach; hot &
spicy chutney

hot lamb curry, medium chicken curry, mild pumpkin curry, spiced rice,
chutney and pappadams (recipes previously posted)

veal (or chicken) parmigiana; cheesey garlic potato & yam* bake;
zuccini & baby squash chilli bake; green beans

toad-in-the-hole (it's still -just- winter here in Aus!!); thick red
onion, garlic, chilli gravy; mashed potatoes & steamed baby spinach (or
baby peas)

spag bolognaise, pasta and huge quantities of garlic panini

but with spring/summer coming there will be less carbs.

LadyJane
--
"Never trust a skinny cook!"

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ludmillia wrote:
> I thought it would be interesting to read about your favorite
> combinations of foods for dinner. Which starch, meat, veggie
> combination is your favorite?

Hummm....

I don't eat ham any more but I used to like ham with potatoes au
gratin, and steamed broccoli.

I don't like potatoes, except fries, which I don't eat - so I like to
have rice with chicken - usually a wild rice pilaf made with mirepoix.
Any steamed veg on the side, but I prefer asparagus.

I also like tuna pasta salad with cinnamon rolls. Don't ask me why.

I have to have bananas with cottage cheese and cinnamon toast for
breakfast.

-L.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

-L. wrote:
> Ludmillia wrote:
> > I thought it would be interesting to read about your favorite
> > combinations of foods for dinner. Which starch, meat, veggie
> > combination is your favorite?

> Hummm....
>
> I don't eat ham any more but I used to like ham with potatoes au
> gratin, and steamed broccoli.
>
> I don't like potatoes, except fries, which I don't eat - so I like to
> have rice with chicken - usually a wild rice pilaf made with mirepoix.
> Any steamed veg on the side, but I prefer asparagus.
>
> I also like tuna pasta salad with cinnamon rolls. Don't ask me why.
>
> I have to have bananas with cottage cheese and cinnamon toast for
> breakfast.

I had this crazy one when I was young (I won't lie I still do from time
to time): Pineapple cottage cheese, BBQ potato chips, Cherry Coke.

> -L.

No TV Dinners without TV [email protected] General Cooking 0 20-02-2013 05:30 AM
TV Dinners Chemo the Clown[_2_] General Cooking 21 30-11-2011 04:15 PM
TV dinners Anon Diabetic 61 16-02-2007 09:25 PM
How do your dinners come together? Ludmillia General Cooking 1 28-08-2006 01:15 PM