Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Stock Options

I cooked a whole chix in the crock today

i didn't add any water, and of course there was plenty of liquids when
the chix was done

I sat the chicken on a pad of papertowels and poured some minute rice
in on the seasoned fatty liquids...dumped all the juice from my large
can of collards in too...popped the lid back on.. walked to the corner
store and got a cold pop...

(i always heard there was plenty of vitamans in collard stock, I wanted
something earthy flavored to offset the rich chicken liquid, I think it
worked)

when I came back! boom! very tasty rice.. I had 2 servings.
it's not like im going to eat all that rice in one setting, so there's
not much fat in it
it was really tasty... I WILL NEVER BUY A LARGE BAG OF REGULAR RICE
AGAIN, you simply cannot cook it.. minute rices are the only way to go

Not a bad meal for very little work.

I've been cooking my chickens breast side up... but this time I cooked
it breast down, and only seasoned the back... a little garlic powder,
bay leaf, and cracked pepper
the breasts were lightly seasoned, and plenty plump, I figure the
gathering liquids from the cooking would keep them from drying, and
they did.

mob

Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

lubricant wrote:
> I cooked a whole chix in the crock today

[snip]
> I sat the chicken on a pad of papertowels and poured some minute rice
> in on the seasoned fatty liquids...dumped all the juice from my large
> can of collards in too...popped the lid back on. [snip]

> it was really tasty... I WILL NEVER BUY A LARGE BAG OF REGULAR RICE
> AGAIN, you simply cannot cook it.. minute rices are the only way to go
>
> Not a bad meal for very little work.
>
> I've been cooking my chickens breast side up... but this time I cooked
> it breast down, and only seasoned the back... a little garlic powder,
> bay leaf, and cracked pepper [snip]

So just to be clear here, you recommend seasoning only the back of a
chicken, with garlic powder, and you recommend minute rice because you
cannot cook regular rice, and you use canned collards.

Thanks for the warning. -aem

Posted to rec.food.cooking

aem wrote:

> So just to be clear here, you recommend seasoning only the back of a
> chicken, with garlic powder, and you recommend minute rice because you
> cannot cook regular rice, and you use canned collards.
>
> Thanks for the warning. -aem

after being face down for about 3 hours, all the sweat ran down onto
the breasts
to include plenty of seasoning

ok! ill be honest... the damn thing was frozen rock hard when it hit
the pot, "clunk" I couldnt tell the front from the back... it looked
like a big teardrop

why waste all that energy on regular rice, it's worse than trying to
melt government cheese in a microwave

im having the thighs for lunch tommarrow

I decided I can't stomach left-over garlic chicken...
<shiver>

Posted to rec.food.cooking

lubricant wrote:

> why waste all that energy on regular rice,

Because it tastes so much better?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

George wrote:
> lubricant wrote:
> > why waste all that energy on regular rice,

> Because it tastes so much better?

you can't cook it down

no matter how long I cook it, its always got a crispety center

or, it's clumpy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"lubricant" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> George wrote:
> > lubricant wrote:
> > > why waste all that energy on regular rice,

> > Because it tastes so much better?

> you can't cook it down
>
> no matter how long I cook it, its always got a crispety center
>
> or, it's clumpy

You just don't know how to cook it. I imagine you have tried
everything but following the directions. That said, it is often
sticky and clumpy.

Regarding rice, although I know it is not the healthiest, I prefer

Uncle Ben's Converted Rice. It is always perfect, takes about
15-20 minutes, so it is a middle ground between regular and
"instant." Once you try this rice you will not want instant. However,
I believe the "conversion" entails removing many of the nutrients
along with the part that causes stickiness and clumpiness.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

cybercat wrote:

> You just don't know how to cook it. I imagine you have tried
> everything but following the directions. That said, it is often
> sticky and clumpy.

no, the truth is, I dont have a ****ing stove, remember telling my
****ing business on here?

all I have is the crock you mailed me and it just dont get ****ing hot
enough to cook real ****ing rice, not in 4 hours! so I use minute rice

why do they call it minute rice when it takes 5 mf'n minutes

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"cybercat" > wrote in message

> "lubricant" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
> >
> > George wrote:
> > > lubricant wrote:

> Regarding rice, although I know it is not the healthiest, I prefer
>
> Uncle Ben's Converted Rice. It is always perfect, takes about
> 15-20 minutes, so it is a middle ground between regular and
> "instant." Once you try this rice you will not want instant. However,
> I believe the "conversion" entails removing many of the nutrients
> along with the part that causes stickiness and clumpiness.

I just use "regular" rice. It still only takes about 30 minutes. I like my
rice clumpy and sticky, but if you'd rather not have yours that way, just
add butter or oil. What *I* do is put the rice in the pot (usually only 1
cup), add a cup and a half of water, get it to boiling, turn it down to
simmer, let it simmer for 20 minutes, take it off the burner and let it sit
for 10 minutes. Serve. It's easy! Again, if you want it less clumpy and
less sticky, add a little more water, put in some butter or oil and you'll
have perfect rice, every time. Experiment. Rice is cheap!

kili

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"lubricant" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> cybercat wrote:
>
> > You just don't know how to cook it. I imagine you have tried
> > everything but following the directions. That said, it is often
> > sticky and clumpy.

> no, the truth is, I dont have a ****ing stove, remember telling my
> ****ing business on here?

I remember that you told the group you had no stove. I later reminded
someone of it. And of course you DID have a stove but rather than
clean it, you got rid of it. Right? You told that here in the group, too.
It might be a good idea to be sure of your facts before you get defensive.

> all I have is the crock you mailed me and it just dont get ****ing hot
> enough to cook real ****ing rice, not in 4 hours! so I use minute rice

I thought you had a hot plate, or a single burner thing? I know you
have a microwave. You should be able to cook real rice in a microwave.
Maybe the answer is to partially cook it in the microwave then add it
to the crock pot. In any case, I bet Uncle Ben's converted would work
just as well and taste much better than "Minute" rice.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
jay jay is offline

On Sun, 20 Aug 2006 09:29:37 -0700, lubricant was lubricated and drizzled
the following:

> cybercat wrote:
>
>> You just don't know how to cook it. I imagine you have tried
>> everything but following the directions. That said, it is often
>> sticky and clumpy.

> no, the truth is, I dont have a $ucking stove, remember telling my
> &ucking business on here?
>
> all I have is the crock you mailed me and it just dont get #ucking hot
> enough to cook real %ucking rice, not in 4 hours! so I use minute rice
>
> why do they call it minute rice when it takes 5 mf'n minutes

AHAHAHAHAHAHA ..she/he is now mailing you a hot plate or rice cooker.
Read the directions if you can!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jay" > wrote in message
news
> On Sun, 20 Aug 2006 09:29:37 -0700, lubricant was lubricated and drizzled
> the following:
>

> > cybercat wrote:
> >
> >> You just don't know how to cook it. I imagine you have tried
> >> everything but following the directions. That said, it is often
> >> sticky and clumpy.

> > no, the truth is, I dont have a $ucking stove, remember telling my
> > &ucking business on here?
> >
> > all I have is the crock you mailed me and it just dont get #ucking hot
> > enough to cook real %ucking rice, not in 4 hours! so I use minute rice
> >
> > why do they call it minute rice when it takes 5 mf'n minutes

> AHAHAHAHAHAHA ..she/he is now mailing you a hot plate or rice cooker.
> Read the directions if you can!

Actually, I just ordered him a Jennair.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

cybercat wrote:

> Actually, I just ordered him a Jennair.

that's messed up, seems like you'd get a wash machine and stop washing
your clothes in the bathtub

you still doing the wine dance on your soiled laundry?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jay wrote:

> AHAHAHAHAHAHA ..she/he is now mailing you a hot plate or rice cooker.
> Read the directions if you can!

I HOPE I GET A HOTPLATE
but then ill have to get a pot
<sigh>

damn gas is 3 dollars a gallon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"lubricant" > wrote:

> the truth is, I dont have a ****ing stove

How's this one?

http://tinyurl.com/e76cc

I ordered it in black. It's not top of the line but I thought
it would do.

Let me know what you think. There is still time to change
the order.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"lubricant" > wrote in message
ups.com...

> cybercat wrote:
>
> > Actually, I just ordered him a Jennair.

> that's messed up, seems like you'd get a wash machine and stop washing
> your clothes in the bathtub
>
> you still doing the wine dance on your soiled laundry?

Um ... translation, please! The wine dance sounds like fun.

My laundry got done yesterday, so the only soiled stuff now
is maybe the kitchen towels.

Why does it sound to me like you're having a bad day?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

cybercat wrote:

> Actually, I just ordered him a Jennair.

here, this might help you with the laundry

http://69-168-24-11.chvlva.adelphia....7/hereyago.zip

mob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"lubricant" > wrote in message
ups.com...

> cybercat wrote:
>

> > Actually, I just ordered him a Jennair.

> here, this might help you with the laundry
>
> http://69-168-24-11.chvlva.adelphia....7/hereyago.zip
>
> mob

Hmm. All I got was a file that my system does not recognize the format of.
Entitled "Iben." Try again, I'm sure it is something just wonderful.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
jay jay is offline

On Sun, 20 Aug 2006 10:31:59 -0700, lubricant wrote:

> jay wrote:
>
>> AHAHAHAHAHAHA ..she/he is now mailing you a hot plate or rice cooker.
>> Read the directions if you can!

> I HOPE I GET A HOTPLATE
> but then ill have to get a pot
> <sigh>
>
> damn gas is 3 dollars a gallon

BBB, you is all about priorities.
Who sent you the that computer and connection?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Peter A" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> says...
> > Have you ever done real rice in a microwave?
> >

> Many times. It works great if you know what you are doing.

Well, Peter, do tell! Please!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jay" > wrote in message
news
> On Sun, 20 Aug 2006 10:31:59 -0700, lubricant wrote:
>

> > jay wrote:
> >
> >> AHAHAHAHAHAHA ..she/he is now mailing you a hot plate or rice cooker.
> >> Read the directions if you can!

> > I HOPE I GET A HOTPLATE
> > but then ill have to get a pot
> > <sigh>
> >
> > damn gas is 3 dollars a gallon

> BBB, you is all about priorities.
> Who sent you the that computer and connection?

Dallas, eh? DSU?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jay wrote:

> BBB, you is all about priorities.

i'd rather record my music than eat, is what i use pc for
barryparrish.com
> Who sent you the that computer and connection?

i built copmuter myself (3ghz)

the computer is cheap, but now the software? thats not cheap

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"lubricant" > wrote in message
ups.com...

> cybercat wrote:
>

> > Actually, I just ordered him a Jennair.

> here, this might help you with the laundry
>
> http://69-168-24-11.chvlva.adelphia....7/hereyago.zip

Hey, I just found the Michael Smith files. I am playing them in order. I am
on #2. Very nice.

BTW, What do you know about RedSwoosh?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

kilikini wrote:
> "cybercat" > wrote in message
>
>>"lubricant" > wrote in message
groups.com...

>>Regarding rice, although I know it is not the healthiest, I prefer
>>
>>Uncle Ben's Converted Rice. It is always perfect, takes about
>>15-20 minutes, so it is a middle ground between regular and
>>"instant." Once you try this rice you will not want instant. However,
>>I believe the "conversion" entails removing many of the nutrients
>>along with the part that causes stickiness and clumpiness.
>>

> I just use "regular" rice. It still only takes about 30 minutes. I like my
> rice clumpy and sticky, but if you'd rather not have yours that way, just
> add butter or oil. What *I* do is put the rice in the pot (usually only 1
> cup), add a cup and a half of water, get it to boiling, turn it down to
> simmer, let it simmer for 20 minutes, take it off the burner and let it sit
> for 10 minutes. Serve. It's easy! Again, if you want it less clumpy and
> less sticky, add a little more water, put in some butter or oil and you'll
> have perfect rice, every time. Experiment. Rice is cheap!
>
> kili

Very hard to screw up rice. I use 1 cup rice to 2 cups liquid. Bring
to a boil, cover and simmer 20 minutes, turn off and let set till ready
to use. If I want to steam something I'll put in a small bowl and set
on top of the cooked rice, covered, after I turn the heat off. Don't
remember ever having had a bad batch.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Jim Davis wrote:

> Very hard to screw up rice. I use 1 cup rice to 2 cups liquid. Bring
> to a boil, cover and simmer 20 minutes, turn off and let set till ready
> to use. If I want to steam something I'll put in a small bowl and set
> on top of the cooked rice, covered, after I turn the heat off. Don't
> remember ever having had a bad batch.

it's the one thing you can't really guess at

the rice will only absorb so much water and they require so much water

dude! im getting a jennair! hooo ha!

Posted to rec.food.cooking
jay jay is offline

On Sun, 20 Aug 2006 10:49:39 -0700, lubricant wrote:

> jay wrote:
>
>> BBB, you is all about priorities.

> i'd rather record my music than eat, is what i use pc for
> barryparrish.com
>> Who sent you the that computer and connection?

> i built copmuter myself (3ghz)
>
> the computer is cheap, but now the software? thats not cheap

OK BARRY.. tell the truth..

What part of those recordings are your original work? The 4th tune is
404..you know.. dead.

Synthesizer is a given..but the rest.. spill it!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"lubricant" > wrote in message
ps.com...

> Jim Davis wrote:
>

> > Very hard to screw up rice. I use 1 cup rice to 2 cups liquid. Bring
> > to a boil, cover and simmer 20 minutes, turn off and let set till ready
> > to use. If I want to steam something I'll put in a small bowl and set
> > on top of the cooked rice, covered, after I turn the heat off. Don't
> > remember ever having had a bad batch.

> it's the one thing you can't really guess at
>
> the rice will only absorb so much water and they require so much water

Have you tried making rice with chicken broth? Not boullion but canned
or the defatted (skimmed) juice from doing a chicken in the crock? It is
very nice. Same with beef broth.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 20 Aug 2006 16:32:29 GMT, "kilikini"
> wrote:

>I just use "regular" rice. It still only takes about 30 minutes. I like my
>rice clumpy and sticky, but if you'd rather not have yours that way, just
>add butter or oil. What *I* do is put the rice in the pot (usually only 1
>cup), add a cup and a half of water, get it to boiling, turn it down to
>simmer, let it simmer for 20 minutes, take it off the burner and let it sit
>for 10 minutes. Serve. It's easy! Again, if you want it less clumpy and
>less sticky, add a little more water, put in some butter or oil and you'll
>have perfect rice, every time. Experiment. Rice is cheap!

I recently discovered Basmati rice. We love it! Never sticks
together, and never scorches on the bottom of the pan. Great stuff.

I can't have Jasmine rice in the house. It's *too* good. Try it!

Carol

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 20 Aug 2006 12:52:06 -0400, "cybercat" >
wrote:

>"lubricant" > wrote in message
roups.com...

>> no, the truth is, I dont have a ****ing stove, remember telling my
>> ****ing business on here?

>I remember that you told the group you had no stove. I later reminded
>someone of it. And of course you DID have a stove but rather than
>clean it, you got rid of it. Right? You told that here in the group, too.
>It might be a good idea to be sure of your facts before you get defensive.

Barry, if you chose one name and stuck with it, people might remember
your "business" as relating to you.

Carol
Posted to rec.food.cooking

jay wrote:

> What part of those recordings are your original work? The 4th tune is
> 404..you know.. dead.
>
> Synthesizer is a given..but the rest.. spill it!

yeah, 4th was dead, will fix that before I poast this

everything is generated through synth, everything
cept for the 4th song, is example of the old acoustic piano in the
studio

I"ve never used "canned" music (just canned collards)

here is sample of just piano and voice, piano is synth or (steinway and
sons grand)

http://69-168-24-11.chvlva.adelphia.net:777/sample.mp3

I hold copyrights to each recording as an original work. (no canned or
stolen mixes)
I don't hold copyrights to other folks writings of course
but I do my own version and hold rights to the recording itself

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Damsel in dis Dress" > wrote:

> I recently discovered Basmati rice. We love it! Never sticks
> together, and never scorches on the bottom of the pan. Great stuff.

I LOVE this rice! Also, there is a basmati grown in Texas, the
brand is Texmati and it comes in handy screw-top plastic
jars. They make a white and wild blend that is fantastic in
chicken soup and other dishes.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 20 Aug 2006 13:35:11 -0400, "cybercat" >
wrote:

>"lubricant" > wrote in message
oups.com...

>> cybercat wrote:
>>
>> > Actually, I just ordered him a Jennair.

>> that's messed up, seems like you'd get a wash machine and stop washing
>> your clothes in the bathtub
>>
>> you still doing the wine dance on your soiled laundry?

>Um ... translation, please! The wine dance sounds like fun.
>
>My laundry got done yesterday, so the only soiled stuff now
>is maybe the kitchen towels.
>
>Why does it sound to me like you're having a bad day?

Are you two brother and sister?

Carol, curious
Posted to rec.food.cooking

cybercat wrote:
> Have you tried making rice with chicken broth? Not boullion but canned
> or the defatted (skimmed) juice from doing a chicken in the crock? It is
> very nice. Same with beef broth.

thats what the thread was about
pouring minute rice over the chix stock
along with the can collard stock

but! lemme say...

wooo, greasy... it tasted good and what not..

but I can always tell when i've eaten something greasy from the general
icky feeling
(i felt icky later from the tasty but greasie rice)

chicken stock from cooking a chicken is too greasy

so that's a good idea about the bullion or canned broth
i think cubes are more bang for the bux

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 20 Aug 2006 15:05:24 -0400, "cybercat" >
wrote:

>"Damsel in dis Dress" > wrote:
>>
>> I recently discovered Basmati rice. We love it! Never sticks
>> together, and never scorches on the bottom of the pan. Great stuff.

>I LOVE this rice! Also, there is a basmati grown in Texas, the
>brand is Texmati and it comes in handy screw-top plastic
>jars. They make a white and wild blend that is fantastic in
>chicken soup and other dishes.

Oooooooooooh! Now all I have to do is find it. Maybe in the Mexican
section of the store? The regular rice area has no basmati. Just
long grain white, brown, and wild.

carol
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Damsel in dis Dress" > wrote

> Oooooooooooh! Now all I have to do is find it. Maybe in the Mexican
> section of the store? The regular rice area has no basmati. Just
> long grain white, brown, and wild.

You know those large containers of spices, Carol? I think the
brand is Tone. Think that kind of container. I see it by the rest
of the rice.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 20 Aug 2006 15:25:09 -0400, "Monmouth Internet Newsgroups"
> wrote:

>"Damsel in dis Dress" > wrote
>
>> Oooooooooooh! Now all I have to do is find it. Maybe in the Mexican
>> section of the store? The regular rice area has no basmati. Just
>> long grain white, brown, and wild.

>You know those large containers of spices, Carol? I think the
>brand is Tone. Think that kind of container. I see it by the rest
>of the rice.

Gotcha! Thanks, Nance. And Tone it is. I'll look next time we shop.

Carol
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"lubricant" > wrote in message
ups.com...

> cybercat wrote:
> > Have you tried making rice with chicken broth? Not boullion but canned
> > or the defatted (skimmed) juice from doing a chicken in the crock? It is
> > very nice. Same with beef broth.

> thats what the thread was about
> pouring minute rice over the chix stock
> along with the can collard stock
>
> but! lemme say...
>
> wooo, greasy... it tasted good and what not..
>
> but I can always tell when i've eaten something greasy from the general
> icky feeling
> (i felt icky later from the tasty but greasie rice)
>
> chicken stock from cooking a chicken is too greasy
>
> so that's a good idea about the bullion or canned broth
> i think cubes are more bang for the bux

Babe, just use a big flat spoon and skim the fat from the
liquid in the crock. That is all you have to do. All the good
stock (juice, not grease) lies below the grease.

Cubed boullioun is full of chemical crap, don't use it, Fred!
Canned is okay, but, hell, if you cook a whole chicken, you
have the stock right there, better than any canned. You just
have to skim that fat.

Easier than skimming hot is pulling the chicken out and
refrigerating the pot of drippings. The fat solidifies.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article . com>,
"lubricant" > wrote:

> cybercat wrote:
> > Have you tried making rice with chicken broth? Not boullion but canned
> > or the defatted (skimmed) juice from doing a chicken in the crock? It is
> > very nice. Same with beef broth.

> thats what the thread was about
> pouring minute rice over the chix stock
> along with the can collard stock
>
> but! lemme say...
>
> wooo, greasy... it tasted good and what not..
>
> but I can always tell when i've eaten something greasy from the general
> icky feeling
> (i felt icky later from the tasty but greasie rice)
>
> chicken stock from cooking a chicken is too greasy
>
> so that's a good idea about the bullion or canned broth
> i think cubes are more bang for the bux

Um, have you considered de-fatting your stock?
I always make stock the day before I need it. Refrigerate it overnight
and all the fat comes to the top and hardens and can be pulled off in
solid cakes.

No greasy. <G>
--
Peace!
Om

-- Jack Nicholson

OT.... looking at options Dave Smith[_1_] General Cooking 47 09-04-2017 05:26 PM
New invented car options [email protected] General Cooking 0 25-10-2007 06:41 AM
Some Bay Area tea options DogMa Tea 6 31-01-2007 04:34 PM
Pannetone options? Joyce General Cooking 10 29-12-2003 04:59 AM
Chicken stock and stock pots DawnK Cooking Equipment 30 23-10-2003 06:22 PM