Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Cow Hill is Still Here

And it's still very dry. We're under a drought-induced water
restriction around here. Last I heard Lake Tawakoni is so low that
losing another 2 1/2 feet will mean the town's pumps will be sucking
air. Large brown patches are growing larger in my lawn. The fig
trees hardly bore at all this summer. I missed a few days watering my
potted kaffir lime tree out on the sun-drenched-and-parched deck and
sadly my little tree is no more. It is an ex tree. It has ceased to
be. Were it not in a pot it would be pushing up the daisies. (sorry)
Somehow the basil is still alive. I know not how or why that is so,
but it is. I pulled up and chopped up my tomato vines this morning.
They're compost now.

A friend of mine once told me that Tawakoni is an old Caddo Indian
word that means trailer trash, but that's another matter. I only
bring it up because I borrowed that same friend's pickup last weekend
to move my daughter to Austin. She's rented a sweet little upstairs
apartment in a 1940s-vintage neighborhood and is on the way to setting
up her post-college life. Although I was happy to help her with the
move, let me take this opportunity to declare publicly that, as God is
my witness, modom will never haul a double bed up a flight of stairs
again. Never again, I say.

It was expensive, but fun to shop with D and C at Target for household
things. And it was even more fun shopping for food at HEB. Stocking
a kitchen is a fine problem to solve. We got her spices and strainers
and pasta and pork and veggies and flatware and capers and lemons and
more. I gave her a Furi santoku, an iron skillet, and a saucier from
my kitchen. We ate at a couple of restaurants on Guadeloupe, but only
the spaniakopita and gyros were any good. I had really lousy sushi at
one joint -- pre made stuff with undercooked rice. Some people have
no shame.

I've not posted much lately because of a combination of factors, but
mostly because work has taken up so much of my time. It is certain to
get even worse next week. But I am getting a big-ass raise in the
coming year. Hoopla.

Another factor in my limited rfc output has been the continuing saga
of my new floors. The bamboo is almost done, but the slab preparation
began the first week in June. Workers did things with machines in my
living room that one properly ought only do outside. Gasoline engines
and scores of carbide bits were involved. There is still a layer of
dust in some parts of the house. We had to wash dishes BEFORE cooking
dinner as well as after.

Dinner tonight will be individual little meat loaves made with
quasi-Greek seasoning: lemon, oregano, cinnamon, mint, garlic, red
pepper, etc. I'll probably grill them and make a garlic/yogurt sauce
to serve along side. We still have some edible eggplants in the
garden, so one of them will get grilled, too. I'll probably cut slits
in eggplant halves and stuff basil leaves, tasso slices, and thin
lemon rounds. Other veggies will doubtless present themselves as I
cook.

I think I'll go pick some herbs.
--
modom

"Southern barbecue is a proud thoroughbred whose bloodlines are easily traced.
Texas Barbecue is a feisty mutt with a whole lot of crazy relatives."

--Robb Walsh, Legends of Texas Barbecue Cookbook
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"modom (palindrome guy)" <moc.etoyok@modom> wrote:

snip

> It was expensive, but fun to shop with D and C at Target for household
> things. And it was even more fun shopping for food at HEB. Stocking
> a kitchen is a fine problem to solve. We got her spices and strainers
> and pasta and pork and veggies and flatware and capers and lemons and
> more. I gave her a Furi santoku, an iron skillet, and a saucier from
> my kitchen. We ate at a couple of restaurants on Guadeloupe, but only
> the spaniakopita and gyros were any good. I had really lousy sushi at
> one joint -- pre made stuff with undercooked rice. Some people have
> no shame.

Modom, my friend, Austin has never struck me as a place to get sushi.
That's like trying to get South Carolina mustard-based bbq sauce at
Sonny Bryan's in Dallas. Ol' Sonny would be rolling over in his grave.
(It's bad enough his restaurant in the West End now serves pulled pork,
according to a reliable source.) Maybe next to Cow Hill, Austin is
sushi paradise, but that ain't saying much. I'm not big on sushi, but
I'm more likely to eat it now that I'm in Seattle than when I lived
inland. Call it a healthy suspicion of how fresh the fish is, or the
presence of a critical mass of Japanese immigrants or descendents
thereof.

Cindy

--
C.J. Fuller

Delete the obvious to email me
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cindy Fuller wrote:

> Modom, my friend, Austin has never struck me as a place to get sushi.
> That's like trying to get South Carolina mustard-based bbq sauce at
> Sonny Bryan's in Dallas. Ol' Sonny would be rolling over in his grave.
> (It's bad enough his restaurant in the West End now serves pulled pork,
> according to a reliable source.)

My brother's first job was as a teen at Sonny Bryan's there in Dallas.
I also love the South Carolina style mustard based BBQ sauces sold by
this man named Maurice outside of Columbia, SC who is forever in hot
water because he either is, or at least accused, of being a racist. His
bottled sauces were pulled from the Walmart shelves a few years ago
because of the charges.
Your post just struck two familiar chords with me.
Goomba
Posted to rec.food.cooking

modom wrote:

> Another factor in my limited rfc output has been the continuing saga
> of my new floors. The bamboo is almost done, but the slab preparation
> began the first week in June. Workers did things with machines in my
> living room that one properly ought only do outside. Gasoline engines
> and scores of carbide bits were involved. There is still a layer of
> dust in some parts of the house. We had to wash dishes BEFORE cooking
> dinner as well as after.

What, you couldn't get the workmen to pulerize your horrid lurid
plates...

Sheldon Bone

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 14 Aug 2006 01:03:35 GMT, Cindy Fuller
> wrote:

>In article >,
> "modom (palindrome guy)" <moc.etoyok@modom> wrote:
>
>snip
>>
>> It was expensive, but fun to shop with D and C at Target for household
>> things. And it was even more fun shopping for food at HEB. Stocking
>> a kitchen is a fine problem to solve. We got her spices and strainers
>> and pasta and pork and veggies and flatware and capers and lemons and
>> more. I gave her a Furi santoku, an iron skillet, and a saucier from
>> my kitchen. We ate at a couple of restaurants on Guadeloupe, but only
>> the spaniakopita and gyros were any good. I had really lousy sushi at
>> one joint -- pre made stuff with undercooked rice. Some people have
>> no shame.
>>

>Modom, my friend, Austin has never struck me as a place to get sushi.

It's been years since I even bought a cuppa in Austin, and so I cannot
dispute your observation. Moreover, it is many leagues from any body
of salt water. On the other hand it is the center of Texan
unusualness. As I was laboring to turn the truck around, I saw a
40-ish man on a bike with 1. leathery tanned skin, 2. a pair of
overalls (no shirt), 3. a braid down to the middle of his back, 4. a
child trailer behind his bike bearing 5. a big, overheated yellow dog.
I said: "I'm in Autsin." So sushi seemed plausible at the time. Error
100%, of course.

>That's like trying to get South Carolina mustard-based bbq sauce at
>Sonny Bryan's in Dallas. Ol' Sonny would be rolling over in his grave.
>(It's bad enough his restaurant in the West End now serves pulled pork,
>according to a reliable source.) Maybe next to Cow Hill, Austin is
>sushi paradise, but that ain't saying much.

Word! I keep waiting for fried catfish maki with cream gravy
hereabouts. Actually, I made some last Thanksgiving, but I didn't get
around to the gravy.

>I'm not big on sushi, but
>I'm more likely to eat it now that I'm in Seattle than when I lived
>inland. Call it a healthy suspicion of how fresh the fish is, or the
>presence of a critical mass of Japanese immigrants or descendents
>thereof.

I eat sushi regularly in Dallas, but I'm not very smart on the whole.
Look at what I do for a living if you want evidence.
--
modom

"Southern barbecue is a proud thoroughbred whose bloodlines are easily traced.
Texas Barbecue is a feisty mutt with a whole lot of crazy relatives."

--Robb Walsh, Legends of Texas Barbecue Cookbook

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 13 Aug 2006 18:51:17 -0700, "Sheldon" > wrote:

>modom wrote:
>>
>> Another factor in my limited rfc output has been the continuing saga
>> of my new floors. The bamboo is almost done, but the slab preparation
>> began the first week in June. Workers did things with machines in my
>> living room that one properly ought only do outside. Gasoline engines
>> and scores of carbide bits were involved. There is still a layer of
>> dust in some parts of the house. We had to wash dishes BEFORE cooking
>> dinner as well as after.

>What, you couldn't get the workmen to pulerize your horrid lurid
>plates...

Was it "pulverize" you meant to type, small dick? And did you get
anything out of the post? Are you that pathetic?
--
modom

"Southern barbecue is a proud thoroughbred whose bloodlines are easily traced.
Texas Barbecue is a feisty mutt with a whole lot of crazy relatives."

--Robb Walsh, Legends of Texas Barbecue Cookbook
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 13 Aug 2006 15:55:34 -0500, "modom (palindrome guy)"
<moc.etoyok@modom> wrote:

<snippity doo dah>

>I think I'll go pick some herbs.
>--
>modom

Modom, I just love your reports! You and The Ranger are always an
interesting read. Your friend's daughter is fortunate to have had
your help. And yes, knock off hauling OPS (other people's stuff)
upstairs. We're not as young as we used to be!

TammyM, roasted the most gorgeous chookie for dinner tonight via the
Thomas Keller "Bouchon" recipe. Oh. Tres. Yum.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

modom (palindrome guy) wrote:
> And it's still very dry. We're under a drought-induced water
> restriction around here. Last I heard Lake Tawakoni is so low that
> losing another 2 1/2 feet will mean the town's pumps will be sucking
> air. Large brown patches are growing larger in my lawn. The fig
> trees hardly bore at all this summer. I missed a few days watering my
> potted kaffir lime tree out on the sun-drenched-and-parched deck and
> sadly my little tree is no more. It is an ex tree. It has ceased to
> be. Were it not in a pot it would be pushing up the daisies. (sorry)
> Somehow the basil is still alive. I know not how or why that is so,
> but it is. I pulled up and chopped up my tomato vines this morning.
> They're compost now.

I've been putting in naturalized or native flora, and reducing the
amount of mixed grasses I have around the house. They do require
regular watering the first year, but after that, they generally manage
on their own. The hydragnea took 2 years, but this year it's been
pretty happy.

Have you thought about routing a grey-water system to your yard and
gardens? The bath tub and kitchen sink, as well as the washer if you
have one of those, should give you enough water to keep all those
plants happy.

> Although I was happy to help her with the
> move, let me take this opportunity to declare publicly that, as God is
> my witness, modom will never haul a double bed up a flight of stairs
> again. Never again, I say.

You did have help, right? Noone is dumb enough to do that on their
own.

> I've not posted much lately because of a combination of factors, but
> mostly because work has taken up so much of my time. It is certain to
> get even worse next week. But I am getting a big-ass raise in the
> coming year. Hoopla.

Long as you feel it's worth it, kudos.

> Another factor in my limited rfc output has been the continuing saga
> of my new floors. The bamboo is almost done, but the slab preparation
> began the first week in June. Workers did things with machines in my
> living room that one properly ought only do outside. Gasoline engines
> and scores of carbide bits were involved. There is still a layer of
> dust in some parts of the house. We had to wash dishes BEFORE cooking
> dinner as well as after.

Ouch! I was working in a darkroom with laser optics on the film
exposures during remediation of the parking lot at work. All that dust
is the pits!

> I think I'll go pick some herbs.
> --
> modom

At least something is surviving the weather there. Best of luck
maxine in ri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 14 Aug 2006 01:03:35 GMT, Cindy Fuller
> wrote:

>Modom, my friend, Austin has never struck me as a place to get sushi.
>That's like trying to get South Carolina mustard-based bbq sauce at
>Sonny Bryan's in Dallas. Ol' Sonny would be rolling over in his grave.
>(It's bad enough his restaurant in the West End now serves pulled pork,
>according to a reliable source.) Maybe next to Cow Hill, Austin is
>sushi paradise, but that ain't saying much. I'm not big on sushi, but
>I'm more likely to eat it now that I'm in Seattle than when I lived
>inland. Call it a healthy suspicion of how fresh the fish is, or the
>presence of a critical mass of Japanese immigrants or descendents
>thereof.

I don't do sushi. Ever. I know, I know. But I worked in a
microbiology lab a few moons ago, and the parasites ... OMG. There
are some UGLY buggers, and man alive, can they do damage.

Oook.

Some images never leave your head. I just can't do sushi.

Or is that sashimi? I get confused sometimes. It's the gin.

TammyM, should own stock in Bombay Sapphire
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 13 Aug 2006 22:25:37 -0600, Christine Dabney
> wrote:

>On Mon, 14 Aug 2006 03:28:46 GMT, (TammyM) wrote:
>
>>TammyM, roasted the most gorgeous chookie for dinner tonight via the
>>Thomas Keller "Bouchon" recipe. Oh. Tres. Yum.

>Do you have that book? I want it. I can;t afford it now...and I am
>dying cause I am dying to have it. I have seen so many great things
>cooked from that book....
>
>Maybe by next year......

Nope, I don't have it. I checked it out of the library a long time
ago and really didn't find much of value to me in it besides the
chicken recipe. I think there were a couple others, but NOT enough
for me to justify the cost of the book. I'm trying to be more frugal
these days, and reminding myself that I really don't need another
cookbook. But cookbooks are SUCH a weakness of mine!

I found the chicken recipe on epicurious.com tonight. EVERY other
roast chicken recipe I looked at had lemons. I have no lemons right
now. If I did, I'd do the Hazan recipe. But this one truly is
fabulous.

MY FAVOURITE SIMPLE ROAST CHICKEN

One 2- to 3-pound farm-raised chicken
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
2 teaspoons minced thyme (optional)

Unsalted butter
Dijon mustard

Preheat the oven to 450°F. Rinse the chicken, then dry it very well
with paper towels, inside and out. The less it steams, the drier the
heat, the better.

Salt and pepper the cavity, then truss the bird. Trussing is not
difficult, and if you roast chicken often, it's a good technique to
feel comfortable with. When you truss a bird, the wings and legs stay
close to the body; the ends of the drumsticks cover the top of the
breast and keep it from drying out. Trussing helps the chicken to cook
evenly, and it also makes for a more beautiful roasted bird.

Now, salt the chicken — I like to rain the salt over the bird so that
it has a nice uniform coating that will result in a crisp, salty,
flavorful skin (about 1 tablespoon). When it's cooked, you should
still be able to make out the salt baked onto the crisp skin. Season
to taste with pepper.

Place the chicken in a sauté pan or roasting pan and, when the oven is
up to temperature, put the chicken in the oven. I leave it alone — I
don't baste it, I don't add butter; you can if you wish, but I feel
this creates steam, which I don't want. Roast it until it's done, 50
to 60 minutes. Remove it from the oven and add the thyme, if using, to
the pan. Baste the chicken with the juices and thyme and let it rest
for 15 minutes on a cutting board.

Remove the twine. Separate the middle wing joint and eat that
immediately. Remove the legs and thighs. I like to take off the
backbone and eat one of the oysters, the two succulent morsels of meat
embedded here, and give the other to the person I'm cooking with. But
I take the chicken butt for myself. I could never understand why my
brothers always fought over that triangular tip — until one day I got
the crispy, juicy fat myself. These are the cook's rewards. Cut the
breast down the middle and serve it on the bone, with one wing joint
still attached to each. The preparation is not meant to be
superelegant. Slather the meat with fresh butter. Serve with mustard
on the side and, if you wish, a simple green salad. You'll start using
a knife and fork, but finish with your fingers, because it's so good.

Makes 2 to 4 servings.
Bouchon
2004
by Thomas Keller
Artisan

TammyM
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Christine replied to Tammy:

>> TammyM, roasted the most gorgeous chookie for dinner tonight via the
>> Thomas Keller "Bouchon" recipe. Oh. Tres. Yum.

> Do you have that book? I want it. I can;t afford it now...and I am
> dying cause I am dying to have it. I have seen so many great things
> cooked from that book....
>
> Maybe by next year......

The roast chicken recipe in _Bouchon_ is *very* simple. I'll try to post it
sometime soon. (As usual, I'm at work as I write this, so the book isn't
available.)

My favorite recipe from that book is liver with stewed figs, bacon, and a
red wine jus. It's a fairly involved recipe, but the result is a fantastic
flavor combination.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Sides for Roast chicken, was Cow Hill is Still Here

On Mon, 14 Aug 2006 00:01:48 -0500, Damsel in dis Dress
> wrote:

>Start a new thread, and we can all work on it!
>
>Carol

Okay!!!

Doing that now.I changed the thread title...

Christine

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 13 Aug 2006 23:04:32 -0600, Christine Dabney
> wrote:

>On Mon, 14 Aug 2006 00:01:48 -0500, Damsel in dis Dress
> wrote:
>
>>Start a new thread, and we can all work on it!

>Okay!!!
>
>Doing that now.I changed the thread title...

ROFLMAO! Post as few details as possible, please. <G>

Okay, guys, Chris is making a roast chicken recipe that Tammy posted
(see below), and is wondering what to serve with it when she has her
friends over for dinner.

[...]

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 13 Aug 2006 23:04:32 -0600, Christine Dabney
> wrote:

>On Mon, 14 Aug 2006 00:01:48 -0500, Damsel in dis Dress
> wrote:
>
>>Start a new thread, and we can all work on it!

Okay, as I mentioned in the before thread, I am having very old
friends for dinner in about 2 weeks.. This will be my first real
dinner for friends in this new house.

At this point, I am thinking of roast chicken, cause I love a good
roast chicken.. But that is not set in stone..

If it is roast chicken..I am thinking of several things...along with
various appetizers...

One of my old friends is the nephew of my best friend. When I last
saw him, he was barely in his 20s..he loved good food even then. Now
he is in his 40s....

My best friend..doesn't really like raw tomatoes, and mushrooms.. And
in deference to her, I will probably leave them out of the menu. Or if
they are in there..they will be so she can pick and choose.

The whole family is coming over..from grandma, to my friend's daughter
(who is a major foodie and cook), and her boyfriend (who is also a
cook).

This is a blast for me.. The last time I cooked for the nephew was
over 22 years ago. I love surprising him.. Now he is an adult.....

Okay..here we go...

I am thinking of several things.... If it is a roast chicken, I will
probably do the Marcella Hazan recipe I like so much. It is easy, and
superb..and doesn't demand much time. I will probably do two chickens
at least, if I do this.

And if I do this..I have one recipe that is an option..from the Greens
cookbook.. which is a Provencal potato gratin with tomatoes and
olives.. I have made this before..and it is very good. It has thyme
in it.

Looking for other options too....maybe something light, and not too
threatening for unadventurous eaters?

Another option is to do a combo dish..with chicken parts, on a bed of
potatoes, carrots, and onions..seasoned with olive oil, rosemary, salt
and pepper. This is also extremely good.

In this case, I don't need much of a side.. Maybe a good salad..if
that.

Then it comes down to appetizers. I like to have something to serve
when people gather. Light, if possible. Maybe not something too
light.. Something that goes well with wine. I am exploring my
cookbooks now..and racking my brains for stuff....

I now have all my cookbooks out of storage...but they haven't all been
unpacked.

Anyway ..here is the new thread, Carol!!!

Christine
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Simple Roast Chicken Dinner Menu for Christine's friends was Cow Hill is Still Here

On Mon, 14 Aug 2006 00:01:48 -0500, Damsel in dis Dress
> wrote:

>On Sun, 13 Aug 2006 22:51:14 -0600, Christine Dabney
> wrote:
>
>>On Mon, 14 Aug 2006 04:33:12 GMT, (TammyM) wrote:
>>
>>>MY FAVOURITE SIMPLE ROAST CHICKEN

>>Oh, this sounds so good. I am having old, old friends over for dinner
>>in about two weeks...and I was thinking of the Marcella Hazan
>>recipe... but this sounds really good too. I love simple stuff like
>>this.
>>
>>Now to think of sides and appetizers...

Barb's corn relish?
Gotta have some spuds of some kind, roasted would work for me.
Peach pie!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 13 Aug 2006 23:18:28 -0600, Christine Dabney
> wrote:

>I am thinking of several things.... If it is a roast chicken, I will
>probably do the Marcella Hazan recipe I like so much. It is easy, and
>superb..and doesn't demand much time. I will probably do two chickens
>at least, if I do this.

Replying to my own post..

It is either that, or the Bouchon recipe..that seems good too.

Or the Zuni Cafe Roast chicken...

Or should I skip roast chicken altogether and go with something else?

Christine
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Christine wrote:

>>MY FAVOURITE SIMPLE ROAST CHICKEN

> Oh, this sounds so good. I am having old, old friends over for dinner
> in about two weeks...and I was thinking of the Marcella Hazan
> recipe... but this sounds really good too. I love simple stuff like
> this.
>
> Now to think of sides and appetizers....

Appetizers: Rilletes with toasted bread and cornichons

Soup: That Patricia Wells garlic soup you like so much

Side dishes: scalloped potatoes, artichokes with lemon-garlic butter, peas
and carrots

Homemade bread is strongly indicated.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 14 Aug 2006 00:24:02 -0500, "Bob Terwilliger"
> wrote:

>Soup: That Patricia Wells garlic soup you like so much

It's a Paula Wolfert recipe...

And..that is pretty heavy for late summer..

how about something summery?

I am thinking tomato...

Christine
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 14 Aug 2006 00:24:02 -0500, "Bob Terwilliger"
> wrote:

>Homemade bread is strongly indicated.

It's already in the plans...Peter Reinhardt's bread....

Christine
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Damsel posted:

> Okay, guys, Chris is making a roast chicken recipe that Tammy posted
> (see below), and is wondering what to serve with it when she has her
> friends over for dinner.

Already posted in the old thread, but just in case nobody is still reading
that thread:

Appetizers: Rilletes with toasted bread and cornichons

Soup: That Patricia Wells garlic soup you like so much

Side dishes: scalloped potatoes, artichokes with lemon-garlic butter, peas
and carrots

Homemade bread is strongly indicated.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Christine Dabney wrote on 14 Aug 2006 in rec.food.cooking

> On Mon, 14 Aug 2006 00:01:48 -0500, Damsel in dis Dress
> > wrote:
>
> >Start a new thread, and we can all work on it!
> >
> >Carol

> Okay!!!
>
> Doing that now.I changed the thread title...
>
> Christine

Roast veggies, Since you got the oven on anyways. Put some veggies in to
roast, say some potatoes, carrots, onions, garlic, fennel, etc...

--

Curiosity killed the cat, but for a while I was a suspect

-Alan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Goomba38 > wrote:

> Cindy Fuller wrote:
>
> > Modom, my friend, Austin has never struck me as a place to get sushi.
> > That's like trying to get South Carolina mustard-based bbq sauce at
> > Sonny Bryan's in Dallas. Ol' Sonny would be rolling over in his grave.
> > (It's bad enough his restaurant in the West End now serves pulled pork,
> > according to a reliable source.)

> My brother's first job was as a teen at Sonny Bryan's there in Dallas.
> I also love the South Carolina style mustard based BBQ sauces sold by
> this man named Maurice outside of Columbia, SC who is forever in hot
> water because he either is, or at least accused, of being a racist. His
> bottled sauces were pulled from the Walmart shelves a few years ago
> because of the charges.
> Your post just struck two familiar chords with me.
> Goomba

I can't remember Maurice's last name, but his BBQ store is called Piggy
Park. He had flyers in his store that slaves were happy with their lot,
until them damn Yankees had to go emancipate them. I didn't much like
SC bbq sauce, probably because we lived in NC for several years and
considered our southern neighbor a bit primitive.

I used to work at the medical school around the corner from Sonny
Bryan's original shack. (Let's face it, Sonny must have paid the
building inspectors in brisket to keep that from being razed.) I
actually preferred Anderson's, which was/is? right across Harry Hines
Blvd from the med school. They were brave enough to serve pulled pork
in the early 90's.

Cindy