Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Saffron

I understand that saffron in rice will add color and a flavor that is
reputedly worth a King's ransom. But can a pinch of saffron really
affect a paella-like dish, especially one that's heavy with tomatoes?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

stark wrote:
> I understand that saffron in rice will add color and a flavor that is
> reputedly worth a King's ransom. But can a pinch of saffron really
> affect a paella-like dish, especially one that's heavy with tomatoes?

Saffron can definately make the difference. You can buy Spanish
Saffron for less, that is of very good quality. You might just want to
make sure where ever you buy it, it is fresh. Indian Grocers sell it
for less than most stores.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"stark" > wrote in message
ups.com...
:I understand that saffron in rice will add color and a flavor that is
: reputedly worth a King's ransom. But can a pinch of saffron really
: affect a paella-like dish, especially one that's heavy with tomatoes?

In a Paella for 3-4 people it is not a pinch of saffron, but a good teaspoon full
or more. Macerate it in hot water before adding to the Paella.

Frenchy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Frenchy wrote:

> In a Paella for 3-4 people it is not a pinch of saffron, but a good
> teaspoon full or more. Macerate it in hot water before adding to the
> Paella.

Didn't they use "pimienton" in paella? It should be a powder with the color
of saffron but not the taste, since it comes from peppers. Someone
translates it into "sweet paprika".
--
Vilco
Think pink, drink rose'

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Vilco > wrote:
>Didn't they use "pimienton" in paella? It should be a powder with the color
>of saffron but not the taste, since it comes from peppers. Someone
>translates it into "sweet paprika".

They use both.

They also use both chicken and rabbit.

--Blair

Saffron ? Sky[_2_] General Cooking 95 25-02-2017 09:31 PM
I have a plethora of saffron, so.... REC: Saffron and Almond Cake PeterLucas[_4_] General Cooking 7 04-10-2007 10:16 PM
Saffron kitamun General Cooking 30 28-01-2007 04:53 AM
Saffron Michel Boucher General Cooking 6 02-02-2005 09:40 AM
Saffron Bob General Cooking 0 27-12-2004 06:53 PM