Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Tater tot and Hotdog casserole

When I was a kid, my mom bought me a recipe book for children. It had
a recipe for Hot Dog Casserole that included tater tots and velveeta
cheese. Does anyone have this recipe or something similar? I searched
the web over, and can't find this strange combo anywhere.
Thanks,
tsinbg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> When I was a kid, my mom bought me a recipe book for children. It had
> a recipe for Hot Dog Casserole that included tater tots and velveeta
> cheese. Does anyone have this recipe or something similar? I searched
> the web over, and can't find this strange combo anywhere.
> Thanks,
> tsinbg

I tested the following recipe a couple of days ago for a non-profit cookbook
I'm working on. The results were surprisingly good. Not what I anticipated
at all given the ingredients. Not exactly what you're for, but it does
contain Tater Tots. Definitely comfort food or food that loves you.

Chris

Tater Tot Casserole

1 pkg. frozen tater tots

2 lbs. raw hamburger

1 bag frozen veggie of your choice (corn, peas, or green beans are best)

2 cans cream soup of your choice (Cream of Celery or Cream of Mushroom work
best in my opinion) a little bit of milk (about 1/4 cup)

Preheat oven to 375°.

On the bottom of a 13x9x2 casserole dish, press the raw hamburger in a flat
even layer. Then spread an even layer of the frozen tater tots, followed by
a layer of the frozen veggie. In a bowl or measuring cup, empty the two cans
of cream soup and mix with a small amount of milk to thin it. Pour the soup
mixture over the top of the casserole layers.

Bake at 375 for 60-75 minutes, until the top layer browns a little, the
hamburger is cooked through, and the tots are crisping when you check
underneath.

You can cut this recipe easily in half and use an 8x8 square baking dish.

Feeds 2-4 people cut in half.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 8 Aug 2006 09:40:12 -0600, Chris Marksberry wrote
(in article >):

> I tested the following recipe a couple of days ago for a non-profit cookbook
> I'm working on. The results were surprisingly good. Not what I anticipated
> at all given the ingredients. Not exactly what you're for, but it does
> contain Tater Tots. Definitely comfort food or food that loves you.
>
> Chris
>
> Tater Tot Casserole
>
> 1 pkg. frozen tater tots
>
> 2 lbs. raw hamburger
>
> 1 bag frozen veggie of your choice (corn, peas, or green beans are best)
>
> 2 cans cream soup of your choice (Cream of Celery or Cream of Mushroom work
> best in my opinion) a little bit of milk (about 1/4 cup)
>
> Preheat oven to 375°.
>
> On the bottom of a 13x9x2 casserole dish, press the raw hamburger in a flat
> even layer. Then spread an even layer of the frozen tater tots, followed by
> a layer of the frozen veggie. In a bowl or measuring cup, empty the two cans
> of cream soup and mix with a small amount of milk to thin it. Pour the soup
> mixture over the top of the casserole layers.
>
> Bake at 375 for 60-75 minutes, until the top layer browns a little, the
> hamburger is cooked through, and the tots are crisping when you check
> underneath.
>
> You can cut this recipe easily in half and use an 8x8 square baking dish.

Sounds like one of those easy meals which most everyone would enjoy. Never
heard of anything like it but I'm game.

> Feeds 2-4 people cut in half.

YIKES! Think I'll pass on that part ;-)

--
Cheers!

Dennis

Remove 'Elle-Kabong' to reply

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2006-08-08, tsinbg > wrote:

> the web over, and can't find this strange combo anywhere.

Lucky you! It sounds horrible.

If you could substitute something synthetic for the tots, say like
crackers, you could almost eliminate any real food altogether.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

notbob wrote:
> On 2006-08-08, tsinbg > wrote:
>
> > the web over, and can't find this strange combo anywhere.

> Lucky you! It sounds horrible.
>
> nb

BWAHAHAHAHAHA, my sentiments exactly! Tater tots are the most
tasteless mess ever and to combine these horrors with some hotdogs is
just awful.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

itsjoannotjoann wrote:

> BWAHAHAHAHAHA, my sentiments exactly! Tater tots are the
> most tasteless mess ever and to combine these horrors with
> some hotdogs is just awful.

I used to like Tater Tots, 45 pounds ago.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

tsinbg wrote:
> When I was a kid, my mom bought me a recipe book for children. It had
> a recipe for Hot Dog Casserole that included tater tots and velveeta
> cheese. Does anyone have this recipe or something similar? I searched
> the web over, and can't find this strange combo anywhere.
> Thanks,
> tsinbg

Here's a link to a recipe for a breakfast casserole that uses sausage
and tater tots. Maybe you could try substituting hot dogs for the
sausage.

http://brunch.allrecipes.com/az/TtrTtCssrl.asp

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> > Bake at 375 for 60-75 minutes, until the top layer browns a little, the
> > hamburger is cooked through, and the tots are crisping when you check
> > underneath.

> Sounds a like a good use for 90+% lean ground beef. I sure
> wouldn't make it with the cheaper 70% hamburger. I also wonder
> how the tater tots could get as crispy as the recipe implies (with
> 24 oz's of goop surrounding them).
>
> I'd at least note the hamburger fat content suggestion in the
> recipe. 30% fatty hamburger would be almost 10oz of pure,
> rendered fat (some would be retained in the meat, of course).
>
> -sw

Steve,

I used ground chuck for the bottom layer and patted it down firmly with a
fork. Didn't come out fatty, but yeah I think 30% fatty hamburger would be
pretty greasy. The bottom of the casserole came out like an extra tender
minute steak. Since this a "test recipe" deal no tweaking is allowed...
the recipe has to be prepared as written. If I had not been doing the test
thing I would have added some Cajun seasoning.

Towards the end of the baking time the taters tots kinda came to the top
(surprisingly) and they were somewhat crunchy and not soggy.

BTW, has Spec's Liquors opened in Austin yet?

Chris

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Chris Marksberry" > wrote in message
>> When I was a kid, my mom bought me a recipe book for children. It had
>> a recipe for Hot Dog Casserole that included tater tots and velveeta
>> cheese. Does anyone have this recipe or something similar? I searched
>> the web over, and can't find this strange combo anywhere.
>> Thanks,
>> tsinbg
>>

> I tested the following recipe a couple of days ago for a non-profit
> cookbook
> I'm working on. The results were surprisingly good. Not what I
> anticipated
> at all given the ingredients. Not exactly what you're for, but it does
> contain Tater Tots. Definitely comfort food or food that loves you.
>
> Chris
>
> Tater Tot Casserole
>
> 1 pkg. frozen tater tots
>
> 2 lbs. raw hamburger
>
> 1 bag frozen veggie of your choice (corn, peas, or green beans are best)
>
> 2 cans cream soup of your choice (Cream of Celery or Cream of Mushroom
> work
> best in my opinion) a little bit of milk (about 1/4 cup)
>
> Preheat oven to 375°.
>
> On the bottom of a 13x9x2 casserole dish, press the raw hamburger in a
> flat
> even layer. Then spread an even layer of the frozen tater tots, followed
> by
> a layer of the frozen veggie. In a bowl or measuring cup, empty the two
> cans
> of cream soup and mix with a small amount of milk to thin it. Pour the
> soup
> mixture over the top of the casserole layers.
>
> Bake at 375 for 60-75 minutes, until the top layer browns a little, the
> hamburger is cooked through, and the tots are crisping when you check
> underneath.
>
> You can cut this recipe easily in half and use an 8x8 square baking dish.
>
> Feeds 2-4 people cut in half.

My mom used to make this when I was a kid. She browned the burger and
drained it, then put it on the bottom of the casserole dish. Everything
else was the same, except she sprinkled 1/2 pkg of onion soup mix over the
mushroom soup and she put the tater tots on top so they would be crispy.
Wow, that brings back memories.

Deb