FoodBanter.com

-   -   Stone Crab Claws vs Jonah Crab Claws (https://www.foodbanter.com/general-cooking/98149-stone-crab-claws-vs.html)

[email protected] 08-08-2006 12:09 PM

Stone Crab Claws vs Jonah Crab Claws

Besides the taste, does anyone know of a way to tell the difference? I was
in Costco last week and they were selling what they said were stone crab
claws for (as I recall, 6.99 lb). I asked if they were stone or jonah crab
claws and the kid had no idea. I know that stone crab is usually much more
expensive than 6.99 per (at least at the restaurants that have them)/
thanks
sharkman

..

[email protected] 09-08-2006 12:13 PM

Stone Crab Claws vs Jonah Crab Claws

thanks... They may both be technically stone crabs but they dont taste the
same... Looking at the pix, there is a slight difference in appearence..
thanks much.

--
..

http://www.foodsubs.com/Shelfishcrab.html

Blair P. Houghton 10-08-2006 07:39 AM

Stone Crab Claws vs Jonah Crab Claws

> wrote:
>thanks... They may both be technically stone crabs but they dont taste the
>same... Looking at the pix, there is a slight difference in appearence..
>thanks much.

Slight?

Jonah crab claws look like ordinary crab claws with
ink on the tips.

Stone-crab claws look like they were designed by
Walt Disney.

--Blair

-L.[_2_] 10-08-2006 07:49 AM

Steve Wertz wrote:
> Did some digging and found this:
> http://www.foodsubs.com/Shelfishcrab.html
>
> -sw

That site says snow crab=tanner crab. I though "snow crab" was
exclusively the opilio spp. Tanner crabs are a different species and
typically much smaller. Do they both go by the moniker "snow crab"?
Here's a pic of the differences:
http://blueocean.org/seafood/species/36.html
It's not really clear by what's on the above site, either.

-L.

[email protected] 10-08-2006 12:31 PM

Stone Crab Claws vs Jonah Crab Claws

sorry.. we were talking about STONE not snow crab claws..

--
Shafer - Professional Web Surfer and President of the PWSAA; Official
BB and anywhere else pointgiver and CEO HRWB.

[email protected] 10-08-2006 12:32 PM

-L.[_2_] 10-08-2006 09:24 PM

wrote:
> sorry.. we were talking about STONE not snow crab claws..

Oh, so no one is allowed to ask a question?

Hate to tell ya, asshole, but it's an open, unmoderated forum...

-L.

[email protected] 11-08-2006 11:43 AM

Stone Crab Claws vs Jonah Crab Claws

namecalling was unnecessary.. You might have gotten a related answer had you
changed the subject line to snow crabs or something that related to your
question.

Blair P. Houghton 11-08-2006 10:43 PM

Stone Crab Claws vs Jonah Crab Claws

> wrote:
>namecalling was unnecessary.. You might have gotten a related answer had you
>changed the subject line to snow crabs or something that related to your
>question.

No, you were being an asshole.

Don't expect people to follow netiquette. There
is no such thing.

And you're about to get flamed for top-posting.

--Blair