Posted to rec.food.cooking,aus.food

Default REC: Raspberry and Coconut Loaf

Apparently, this is pretty good. I don't know. I didn't get any :-/

The 4 girls in the office demolished it...... now 3 a pledging their
undying love for me :-)

Or maybe it was the fact I said I was going to make Carrot-walnut-
sultana-coconut-pineapple muffins with a Tangello cream cheese frosting
for them for today??!!

Anyhoos.........

Raspberry and Coconut Loaf

1&3/4 cups dessicated coconut
1&1/2 cups coconut milk (that's one 'normal sized' can for us Aussies)
1 cup caster sugar
1 egg, lightly beaten
1 teaspoon vanilla essence
1&2/3 cups self raising flour
1 cup frozen raspberries
pure icing sugar, to serve

Combine coconut milk and coconut in a bowl. Cover and stand for 30mins.

Preheat oven to 170C. Line a 7cm deep, 10.5cm X 20.5cm (base) loaf pan
with baking paper. Overhang by 2cm at both long ends. (Doing that is a
pain in the ass, I just used my new silicone loaf 'pan')

Using a metal spoon, stir sugar, egg and vanilla into the coconut mix.
Sift flour over top and gently stir until combined. Fold in the
raspberries.

Spoon mixture into the pan and bake for 1hr and 15mins, or until a
skewer inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool loaf in pan for
10mins. Lift onto a wire rack (it's a heavey sucker too!!) to cool
completely. Dust with icing sugar and slice to serve.

(Recipe courtesy of Super Food Ideas mag)

I'll be making the Greek Yoghurt and Lemon loaf on the weekend/Sunday.

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane

'Enjoy today, it was paid for by a veteran'

Posted to rec.food.cooking,aus.food

Default Raspberry and Coconut Loaf

"PeterL" > wrote in message
> Apparently, this is pretty good. I don't know. I didn't get any :-/
>
> The 4 girls in the office demolished it...... now 3 a pledging their
> undying love for me :-)
>
> Or maybe it was the fact I said I was going to make Carrot-walnut-
> sultana-coconut-pineapple muffins with a Tangello cream cheese frosting
> for them for today??!!
>
> Anyhoos.........
>
> Raspberry and Coconut Loaf
>

> 1&3/4 cups dessicated coconut
> 1&1/2 cups coconut milk (that's one 'normal sized' can for us Aussies)
> 1 cup caster sugar
> 1 egg, lightly beaten
> 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
> 1&2/3 cups self raising flour
> 1 cup frozen raspberries
> pure icing sugar, to serve
>
> Combine coconut milk and coconut in a bowl. Cover and stand for 30mins.
>
> Preheat oven to 170C. Line a 7cm deep, 10.5cm X 20.5cm (base) loaf pan
> with baking paper. Overhang by 2cm at both long ends. (Doing that is a
> pain in the ass, I just used my new silicone loaf 'pan')
>
> Using a metal spoon, stir sugar, egg and vanilla into the coconut mix.
> Sift flour over top and gently stir until combined. Fold in the
> raspberries.
>
> Spoon mixture into the pan and bake for 1hr and 15mins, or until a
> skewer inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool loaf in pan for
> 10mins. Lift onto a wire rack (it's a heavey sucker too!!) to cool
> completely. Dust with icing sugar and slice to serve.
>
> (Recipe courtesy of Super Food Ideas mag)
>
> I'll be making the Greek Yoghurt and Lemon loaf on the weekend/Sunday.
>
> --
> Peter Lucas
> Brisbane
> Australia
>
> 'Enjoy today, it was paid for by a veteran'

The recipe does sound good. What is dessicated coconut?
Is caster sugar the same as granulated sugar?
By pure icing do you mean a glaze over the top of the bread?

Posted to rec.food.cooking,aus.food

"pfoley" > wrote in news:9Rcyg.987$0e5.550
@newsread4.news.pas.earthlink.net:

> "PeterL" > wrote in message
>> Apparently, this is pretty good. I don't know. I didn't get any :-/
>>
>> The 4 girls in the office demolished it...... now 3 a pledging their
>> undying love for me :-)
>>
>> Or maybe it was the fact I said I was going to make Carrot-walnut-
>> sultana-coconut-pineapple muffins with a Tangello cream cheese frosting
>> for them for today??!!
>>
>> Anyhoos.........
>>
>> Raspberry and Coconut Loaf
>>

>> 1&3/4 cups dessicated coconut
>> 1&1/2 cups coconut milk (that's one 'normal sized' can for us Aussies)
>> 1 cup caster sugar
>> 1 egg, lightly beaten
>> 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
>> 1&2/3 cups self raising flour
>> 1 cup frozen raspberries
>> pure icing sugar, to serve
>>
>> Combine coconut milk and coconut in a bowl. Cover and stand for 30mins.
>>
>> Preheat oven to 170C. Line a 7cm deep, 10.5cm X 20.5cm (base) loaf pan
>> with baking paper. Overhang by 2cm at both long ends. (Doing that is a
>> pain in the ass, I just used my new silicone loaf 'pan')
>>
>> Using a metal spoon, stir sugar, egg and vanilla into the coconut mix.
>> Sift flour over top and gently stir until combined. Fold in the
>> raspberries.
>>
>> Spoon mixture into the pan and bake for 1hr and 15mins, or until a
>> skewer inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool loaf in pan for
>> 10mins. Lift onto a wire rack (it's a heavey sucker too!!) to cool
>> completely. Dust with icing sugar and slice to serve.
>>
>> (Recipe courtesy of Super Food Ideas mag)
>>
>> I'll be making the Greek Yoghurt and Lemon loaf on the weekend/Sunday.
>>
>> --

> The recipe does sound good. What is dessicated coconut?

Dried coconut shreds, very small/fine. We have two sorts, dessicated and
shredded.

> Is caster sugar the same as granulated sugar?

Also called superfine sugar. It is pulverized granulated sugar. It can be
purchased or prepared at home by whizzing some granulated sugar in the
blender.

> By pure icing do you mean a glaze over the top of the bread?

No, it's sprinkled over the top.

http://www.csrsugar.com.au/ViewProduct.aspx?id=8

Once again, we have two sorts. Pure, and Soft Icing Mix.

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane
Australia

'Enjoy today, it was paid for by a veteran'

Posted to rec.food.cooking,aus.food

"PeterL" > wrote in message
> "pfoley" > wrote in news:9Rcyg.987$0e5.550
> @newsread4.news.pas.earthlink.net:
>

> > "PeterL" > wrote in message
> >> Apparently, this is pretty good. I don't know. I didn't get any :-/
> >>
> >> The 4 girls in the office demolished it...... now 3 a pledging their
> >> undying love for me :-)
> >>
> >> Or maybe it was the fact I said I was going to make Carrot-walnut-
> >> sultana-coconut-pineapple muffins with a Tangello cream cheese frosting
> >> for them for today??!!
> >>
> >> Anyhoos.........
> >>
> >> Raspberry and Coconut Loaf
> >>

> >> 1&3/4 cups dessicated coconut
> >> 1&1/2 cups coconut milk (that's one 'normal sized' can for us Aussies)
> >> 1 cup caster sugar
> >> 1 egg, lightly beaten
> >> 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
> >> 1&2/3 cups self raising flour
> >> 1 cup frozen raspberries
> >> pure icing sugar, to serve
> >>
> >> Combine coconut milk and coconut in a bowl. Cover and stand for 30mins.
> >>
> >> Preheat oven to 170C. Line a 7cm deep, 10.5cm X 20.5cm (base) loaf pan
> >> with baking paper. Overhang by 2cm at both long ends. (Doing that is a
> >> pain in the ass, I just used my new silicone loaf 'pan')
> >>
> >> Using a metal spoon, stir sugar, egg and vanilla into the coconut mix.
> >> Sift flour over top and gently stir until combined. Fold in the
> >> raspberries.
> >>
> >> Spoon mixture into the pan and bake for 1hr and 15mins, or until a
> >> skewer inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool loaf in pan for
> >> 10mins. Lift onto a wire rack (it's a heavey sucker too!!) to cool
> >> completely. Dust with icing sugar and slice to serve.
> >>
> >> (Recipe courtesy of Super Food Ideas mag)
> >>
> >> I'll be making the Greek Yoghurt and Lemon loaf on the weekend/Sunday.

> > The recipe does sound good. What is dessicated coconut?

> Dried coconut shreds, very small/fine. We have two sorts, dessicated and
> shredded.
>

> > Is caster sugar the same as granulated sugar?

> Also called superfine sugar. It is pulverized granulated sugar. It can be
> purchased or prepared at home by whizzing some granulated sugar in the
> blender.
>

> > By pure icing do you mean a glaze over the top of the bread?

> No, it's sprinkled over the top.
>
> http://www.csrsugar.com.au/ViewProduct.aspx?id=8
>
> Once again, we have two sorts. Pure, and Soft Icing Mix.

--
> Peter Lucas
> Brisbane
> Australia
> 'Enjoy today, it was paid for by a veteran'

What about posting the carrot walnut muffin or yogurt loaf recipe too.
I think your icing sugar would be the same as our powdered confectioners
sugar. We use that to make frostings and sometimes sprinkle it through a
sifter over cakes. We do have superfine sugar here too; I just never had a
recipe call for it.
Would 170 C be the same as 350 degrees or 375 degrees for the oven?
Why did you find placing a paper in the pan and hanging it over the side
difficult? If the recipe calls for lining a pan with paper, I usually spray
the pan first with Pam, and then press the paper into the pan and hang it
over the sides; not ends of the pan, to lift it out.
I guess I needed a translation; sorry.

Posted to rec.food.cooking,aus.food

"pfoley" > wrote in
ink.net:

>What about posting the carrot walnut muffin or yogurt loaf recipe too.

Greedy *******!!

But yeah......... I'll get around to it.

It's 0151hrs...... we finished work about 45mins ago, and now I have to get
up at 0600hrs to go do a fundraiser.

Oh joy!!

>Would 170 C be the same as 350 degrees or 375 degrees for the oven?

http://joshmadison.net/software/convert/

A very good (small) program that will help you out on all those little
queries you may have.

But to answer your question......... 170C is actually 338F

>Why did you find placing a paper in the pan and hanging it over the side
>difficult? If the recipe calls for lining a pan with paper, I usually >

spray
>the pan first with Pam, and then press the paper into the pan and hang it
>over the sides; not ends of the pan, to lift it out.

I couldn't be arsed.

Which is why I now buy silicone cookware.

>I guess I needed a translation; sorry.

(Biting my tongue!!!) That's OK.

Ciao

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane
Australia

'Enjoy today, it was paid for by a veteran'

Posted to rec.food.cooking,aus.food

"PeterL" > wrote in message
> "pfoley" > wrote in
> ink.net:

> >What about posting the carrot walnut muffin or yogurt loaf recipe too.

> Greedy *******!!
>
> But yeah......... I'll get around to it.
>
> It's 0151hrs...... we finished work about 45mins ago, and now I have to

get
> up at 0600hrs to go do a fundraiser.
>
> Oh joy!!
>

> >Would 170 C be the same as 350 degrees or 375 degrees for the oven?

> http://joshmadison.net/software/convert/
>
> A very good (small) program that will help you out on all those little
> queries you may have.
>
> But to answer your question......... 170C is actually 338F
>

> >Why did you find placing a paper in the pan and hanging it over the side
> >difficult? If the recipe calls for lining a pan with paper, I usually >

> spray
> >the pan first with Pam, and then press the paper into the pan and hang it
> >over the sides; not ends of the pan, to lift it out.

> I couldn't be arsed.
>
> Which is why I now buy silicone cookware.
>

> >I guess I needed a translation; sorry.

> (Biting my tongue!!!) That's OK.
>

> Ciao
>

> --
> Peter Lucas
> Brisbane
> Australia
>
> 'Enjoy today, it was paid for by a veteran'

---------------------------
"arsed"?
That conversion program is pretty good; I downloaded it.
Too bad it didn't convert dollars to sterling and euro, I could use that,
but I guess its for measurements only, which will come in handy when I try
to read your next two recipes.
Thanks.
---------------------------

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 28 Jul 2006 13:02:44 GMT, "pfoley" >
wrote:

>Would 170 C be the same as 350 degrees or 375 degrees for the oven?

That information is handily available in the FAQ, to which there is a
link on the RFC website. I'm trying to get used to consulting it.
There is a weath of information there.
http://vsack.homepage.t-online.de/rfc_faq0.html#2.1

(170C. is 325F.)
Carol
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Damsel in dis Dress" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 28 Jul 2006 13:02:44 GMT, "pfoley" >
> wrote:
>
> >Would 170 C be the same as 350 degrees or 375 degrees for the oven?

> That information is handily available in the FAQ, to which there is a
> link on the RFC website. I'm trying to get used to consulting it.
> There is a weath of information there.
> http://vsack.homepage.t-online.de/rfc_faq0.html#2.1
>
> (170C. is 325F.)
> Carol

========================
Yes, you are right; it is a great reference page. I have never seen that
page before. I would have never known that page existed if you had not told
me about it.
Thanks.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 28 Jul 2006 18:51:54 GMT, "pfoley" >
wrote:

>That conversion program is pretty good; I downloaded it.
>Too bad it didn't convert dollars to sterling and euro, I could use that,
>but I guess its for measurements only, which will come in handy when I try
>to read your next two recipes.

Try any page of the RFC website. Link is at the top.
http://www.recfoodcooking.com/

Carol
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 28 Jul 2006 21:12:00 GMT, "pfoley" >
wrote:

>"Damsel in dis Dress" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Fri, 28 Jul 2006 13:02:44 GMT, "pfoley" >
>> wrote:
>>
>> >Would 170 C be the same as 350 degrees or 375 degrees for the oven?

>> That information is handily available in the FAQ, to which there is a
>> link on the RFC website. I'm trying to get used to consulting it.
>> There is a weath of information there.
>> http://vsack.homepage.t-online.de/rfc_faq0.html#2.1
>>
>> (170C. is 325F.)
>> Carol

>========================
>Yes, you are right; it is a great reference page. I have never seen that
>page before. I would have never known that page existed if you had not told
>me about it.

Don't let Victor hear you say that. He posts a pointer to the FAQ
every week, and the FAQ in its entirety once a month.

Maybe he'll miss your post. Shhhhhh!

Carol

Posted to rec.food.cooking,aus.food

Linda H wrote:
> Someone who is "all arse" is bold

Huh? I thought "all arse" meant extremely lucky.
Posted to rec.food.cooking,aus.food

"pfoley" > wrote in
k.net:

> "PeterL" > wrote in message
>> "pfoley" > wrote in
>> ink.net:

>> >What about posting the carrot walnut muffin or yogurt loaf recipe
>> >too.

>> Greedy *******!!
>>
>> But yeah......... I'll get around to it.
>>
>> It's 0151hrs...... we finished work about 45mins ago, and now I have

> get
>> up at 0600hrs to go do a fundraiser.
>>
>> Oh joy!!
>>

>> >Would 170 C be the same as 350 degrees or 375 degrees for the oven?

>> http://joshmadison.net/software/convert/
>>
>> A very good (small) program that will help you out on all those
>> little queries you may have.
>>
>> But to answer your question......... 170C is actually 338F
>>

>> >Why did you find placing a paper in the pan and hanging it over the
>> >side difficult? If the recipe calls for lining a pan with paper, I
>> >usually >

>> spray
>> >the pan first with Pam, and then press the paper into the pan and
>> >hang it over the sides; not ends of the pan, to lift it out.

>> I couldn't be arsed.
>>
>> Which is why I now buy silicone cookware.
>>

>> >I guess I needed a translation; sorry.

>> (Biting my tongue!!!) That's OK.
>>

>> Ciao
>>

>> --
>> Peter Lucas
>> Brisbane
>> Australia
>>
>> 'Enjoy today, it was paid for by a veteran'

> ---------------------------
> "arsed"?

Couldn't be buggered.

http://www.xe.com/ucc/

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane
Australia

'Enjoy today, it was paid for by a veteran'

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Damsel in dis Dress > wrote in
:

> On Fri, 28 Jul 2006 18:51:54 GMT, "pfoley" >
> wrote:
>
>>That conversion program is pretty good; I downloaded it.
>>Too bad it didn't convert dollars to sterling and euro, I could use
>>that, but I guess its for measurements only, which will come in handy
>>when I try to read your next two recipes.

> Try any page of the RFC website. Link is at the top.
> http://www.recfoodcooking.com/

Bugger!! I forgot wreck.food had the currency *and* other shit converter
on the site......... Damn!! I must be getting old :-(

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane
Australia

'Enjoy today, it was paid for by a veteran'

Posted to rec.food.cooking,aus.food

Linda H > wrote in
u:

>> "arsed"?

> Hi pfoley,
>
> A few Aust. translations (as in Australia not Austin, TX
>
> Pure icing sugar is only a little different to our Soft Icing Mixture.
> The pure is simply that (pure powdered sugar.) Soft Icing Mixture is
> a pre-mix of pure icing (powdered) sugar that has the addition of
> cornflour through it. In this instance (for the recipe in question)
> because it is for dusting on top, it won't matter too much if you use
> what you call powdered sugar, pure, or icing mix. Yes, we mix the
> 'powdered sugar' with water and/or other things to make frosting, too.
> It's because we call it "icing" a cake rather than frosting a cake.
> Yeah, I know, I concede that's dumb coz well... it's not even frozen.
> So that's why we call it icing sugar.
>
> Pure is important for some recipes (especially cake decorating) where
> you are looking to form a firmer setting mix or a stiffer paste. (For
> example, pure with beaten egg whites for firm Royal Icing - for
> rolling out for use on wedding cakes etc.) The addition of the
> cornflour in the other mix keeps it from setting hard but is a good
> enough all-purpose one.
>
> Not meaning to offend Americans but we use a lot of the proper
> foods/ingredients for the proper things because as a rule good cooks
> (here) pretty much cook from scratch. "From scratch" is a fairly new
> term we've been hearing more lately because it sounds too lazy to do
> it any other way. I guess we've always thought "what other way is
> there, if not from scratch?" AND mostly because cooking "from
> scratch" is BETTER. Much, much better. It's the only way to go.
>
> "Arsed" means assed. Arse has so many lovely meanings depending on
> use: I couldn't be "arsed" - I couldn't be "bothered." Half-arsed
> means something only half-done in a not-bothered kinda way. Someone
> who is "all arse" is bold - they have "more front than Myers." (Never
> mind what Myers means.)

And then you have "He/she('s) got more arse than class" :-)

>"Up myself" or "to be up yourself" means I am
> probably biased and think we are the world's greatest cooks... but
> that's only because we are!
>
> Ahh, only Joshin'. :-)

You shouldn't be. We are :-)

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane
Australia

'Enjoy today, it was paid for by a veteran'

Posted to rec.food.cooking,aus.food

Linda H > wrote in news:44cade21$0$24357$afc38c87
@news.optusnet.com.au:

> Oh yeah, and re caster sugar. Someone in here already explained what

it
> was but I just want to add that no pantry should be without it. There
> is a certain use for a certain sugar.
>
> I'm such a Pantry Pedant. I even make sure I keep Vanilla Beans in
> "some" of my cooking sugars and nobody's allowed to mess with my

pantry
> that's so perfectly laid out that I've probably kept Tupperware & the
> Brother Label-Maker factories in business. I can see all my sugars at

> glance:
>
> White Sugar (plain granulated)

No got. Is crap.

> Caster Sugar

Got

> Pure Icing Sugar

Got

> Soft Icing Mixture

Got

> Gluten Free Icing Sugar (wheat-starch free)

(Same as Pure??)

> Modelling Sugar Powder (for modelling paste)

No got

> Raw Sugar

Got

> (Light) Brown Sugar

No got

> (Dark) Brown Sugar

Got

> Demerara Crystals

Got

> Palm Sugar

Got

> Mollasses

Got

> Golden Syrup

Got

> Sugar Syrup

Make my own as needed.

Where's the Corn Syrup for the 'Candied Ginger'????

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane
Australia

'Enjoy today, it was paid for by a veteran'

Posted to rec.food.cooking,aus.food

"Tricia" > wrote in news:34Fyg.2841$rP1.210@news-
server.bigpond.net.au:

> Kwyjibo wrote:
>> Linda H wrote:
>>> Someone who is "all arse" is bold

>> Huh? I thought "all arse" meant extremely lucky.

> I agree

Me2.

"All arse" means they have been extremely lucky to win something that
they never had a chance to win :-)

Like the Tigers last year...........

GO THE STORM!!!!!!!!!

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane
Australia

'Enjoy today, it was paid for by a veteran'

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"pfoley" > wrote in
ink.net:

> I would have never known that page existed if you
> had not told me about it.

So now you can say....... you *have* been told :-)

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane
Australia

'Enjoy today, it was paid for by a veteran'

Posted to rec.food.cooking,aus.food

PeterL wrote:
> "Tricia" > wrote in news:34Fyg.2841$rP1.210@news-
> server.bigpond.net.au:
>
>> Kwyjibo wrote:
>>> Huh? I thought "all arse" meant extremely lucky.

>> I agree
>>

> Me2.
>
> "All arse" means they have been extremely lucky to win something that
> they never had a chance to win :-)
>
> Like the Tigers last year...........
>

> GO THE STORM!!!!!!!!!

PL supporting a "Mexican" team???
I think I just heard Satan asking for some ugg boots and a woolly blanket.
Posted to rec.food.cooking,aus.food

Kwyjibo > wrote in
:

> PeterL wrote:
>> "Tricia" > wrote in news:34Fyg.2841$rP1.210@news-
>> server.bigpond.net.au:

>>> I agree
>>>

>> Me2.
>>
>> "All arse" means they have been extremely lucky to win something that
>> they never had a chance to win :-)
>>
>> Like the Tigers last year...........
>>

>> GO THE STORM!!!!!!!!!

> PL supporting a "Mexican" team???
> I think I just heard Satan asking for some ugg boots and a woolly
> blanket.

Bite me, father2B.

I like the colours :-)

And you didn't hear Satan.......... I wasn't talking!!

But hey...... try the coco loaf......... Mrs Kwyjibo will love you
loooooong time ......... well, until it comes time to "PUSH"!!!!

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane
Australia

'Enjoy today, it was paid for by a veteran'

Posted to rec.food.cooking,aus.food

PeterL wrote:
> Kwyjibo > wrote in
> :
>
>> PeterL wrote:
>>> "Tricia" > wrote in news:34Fyg.2841$rP1.210@news-
>>> server.bigpond.net.au:

>>> Me2.
>>>
>>> "All arse" means they have been extremely lucky to win something that
>>> they never had a chance to win :-)
>>>
>>> Like the Tigers last year...........
>>>

>>> GO THE STORM!!!!!!!!!

>> PL supporting a "Mexican" team???
>> I think I just heard Satan asking for some ugg boots and a woolly
>> blanket.
>>

> Bite me, father2B.

Heh.

> I like the colours :-)

Isn't that how girls pick cars and racehorses?
QUEER!!!

> And you didn't hear Satan.......... I wasn't talking!!

No. You're Satan's Little Helper......

> But hey...... try the coco loaf.

I'll give it a go.

>........ Mrs Kwyjibo will love you
> loooooong time .........

She already did. Hence the father2B bit......

> well, until it comes time to "PUSH"!!!!

Yeah. I'm guessing she might get a bit cranky. Personally, I don't see
what all the fuss is about.......

Posted to rec.food.cooking,aus.food

Linda H wrote:

> I'm such a Pantry Pedant. I even make sure I keep Vanilla Beans in
> "some" of my cooking sugars

We do that, too. It's good that vanilla beans have become easier to get hold
of in recent years. Wonderful smell.

> White Sugar (plain granulated)
> Caster Sugar

Caster is vital for making ice cream.

> Pure Icing Sugar
> Soft Icing Mixture
> Gluten Free Icing Sugar (wheat-starch free)

Hmm. That's interesting. Does normal icing sugar contain wheat or corn
starch?

> Modelling Sugar Powder (for modelling paste)
> Raw Sugar

I also call that "coffee sugar" although its real name is raw sugar. How do
you usually use that in cooking?

> (Light) Brown Sugar
> (Dark) Brown Sugar

Love the flavour of brown sugar, marvellous for slices. Made a wonderful
orange syrup with it, too. Butter, squeezed oranges, and brown sugar.

> Demerara Crystals
> Palm Sugar
> Mollasses
> Golden Syrup

Arnotts' secret ingredient in quite a few of their bikkies!

--
ant

Posted to rec.food.cooking,aus.food

Kwyjibo wrote:
> Linda H wrote:
>
>> Someone who is "all arse" is bold

> Huh? I thought "all arse" meant extremely lucky.

Oh is it?? I thought that was "arsey." Sorry, I'm wrong then.

L.
Posted to rec.food.cooking,aus.food

ant wrote:

> Hmm. That's interesting. Does normal icing sugar contain wheat or corn
> starch?

Yes, wheat starch. I got that for when I made a birthday cake for a
child with Coeliac disease. Soft Icing Mixture (used for a smoother,
less firm setting icing) is good because it is blended with wheat starch
but you can't use that for gluten intolerant people. You could use pure
icing sugar for a gluten free icing if you wanted but that would have
resulted in a harder 'finish' than I wanted for this particular cake.
(I get a lot of celebration cake making requests.) Sometimes for a
better pure white (stay-soft) fluffy frosting or for icing requiring a
'truer' colour using paste/oil based colours I use 'Solite' instead of
butter (which is available at places like cake decorating centres.)
It's basically fat with the crap whipped out of it but it gives a
gorgeous bright, white, soft result and takes the paste colours beautifully.

> I also call that "coffee sugar" although its real name is raw sugar. How do
> you usually use that in cooking?

I think I've probably only used it a couple of times in/on something
cooked (I think it was on the top of a particular sort of muffins that
when sprinkled on top, along with crushed walnuts or hazelnut meal prior
to baking caramelises well in high temps yet retaining a certain
'bite/crunch') but my hubby seems to prefer raw sugar in his coffee so
we always have it. Raw sugar is sometimes called for in certain
biscuits that have less processed items such as oatmeal and wholemeal
flours. It has a slightly lighter 'honey' flavour than Demerara and is
lighter/nicer when mixed into crumbled toppings for apple based desserts
not being quite as strong.

Strangely enough with all my damn sugars I don't eat much of it myself
as I find sugars too addictive for me.

Demerara (to me) has too much of a mollasses flavour for coffee but many
people like it. You can also get raw caster sugar but in the things I
use caster sugar in, raw would be slightly too deep in colour for what I
want so I don't buy that one.

CSR actually make "Coffee Sugar" (that has a light syrup coating to the
grains with an ever so subtle coffee flavour to it) besides their
"Demerara" but I can hardly tell the difference so I usually get
whichever one of those two my hand reaches first on the supermarket shelf.

> Love the flavour of brown sugar, marvellous for slices. Made a wonderful
> orange syrup with it, too. Butter, squeezed oranges, and brown sugar.

Yes you're quite right about the slices and I always use it for things
that need a deep flavour and depth of colour such as Anzacs, fruit cakes
and deep spicy cakes, muffins, buns. Great for caramel sauces and
things. My husband uses brown sugar in some sort of marinade sauce
thing for he mixes with Sake and Japanese Soy and something else for
abalone. I wouldn't know what that's like cos I don't like abalone. He
uses the light brown sugar in some stir fry dishes and palm sugar in
some of his (Austral)Asian cooking.

> Arnotts' secret ingredient in quite a few of their bikkies!

I remember my mother used to have 'Treacle' she'd use for something but
I can't remember what. I imagine that's somewhere between the Mollasses
& Golden Syrup stage.

L.

Posted to rec.food.cooking,aus.food

Linda H wrote:
> ant wrote:
>

>> Hmm. That's interesting. Does normal icing sugar contain wheat or corn
>> starch?

> Yes, wheat starch. I got that for when I made a birthday cake for a
> child with Coeliac disease.

I forgot to say that the gluten free one uses tapioca (or sometimes
corn) starch instead of the usual wheat starch.
Posted to rec.food.cooking,aus.food

Kwyjibo > wrote in news:44cb3377$1_1@x-
privat.org:

>>> PL supporting a "Mexican" team???
>>> I think I just heard Satan asking for some ugg boots and a woolly
>>> blanket.
>>>

>> Bite me, father2B.
>>

> Heh.
>

>> I like the colours :-)

> Isn't that how girls pick cars and racehorses?
> QUEER!!!

Yep, that's me, a small skinny little *** guy :-)

**** off Satan, I'm after your job!!

>>........ Mrs Kwyjibo will love you
>> loooooong time .........

> She already did. Hence the father2B bit......

She told me that one was a short time :-)

>> well, until it comes time to "PUSH"!!!!

> Yeah. I'm guessing she might get a bit cranky. Personally, I don't see
> what all the fuss is about.......

Which is why you will be punished........ severely :-)

But.............

August 19 is looking *reaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaal* good :-)

Got a cricket match organised on the 'Sand Pit'.... in the middle of the
Bay :-)

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane
Australia

'Enjoy today, it was paid for by a veteran'

Posted to rec.food.cooking,aus.food

Default Sugar! was Raspberry and Coconut Loaf

Linda H wrote:
> ant wrote:
>

>> Hmm. That's interesting. Does normal icing sugar contain wheat or
>> corn starch?

> Yes, wheat starch. I got that for when I made a birthday cake for a
> child with Coeliac disease.

Yes, a relative has that, and we keep making discoveries like this one! So,
the stuff flogged in the supermarket as just normal old icing sugar has
wheat? (she's allergic to corn, too, which is a nuisence).

>Soft Icing Mixture (used for a smoother,
> less firm setting icing) is good because it is blended with wheat
> starch but you can't use that for gluten intolerant people. You
> could use pure icing sugar for a gluten free icing if you wanted but
> that would have resulted in a harder 'finish' than I wanted for this
> particular cake. (I get a lot of celebration cake making requests.)
>

>> I also call that "coffee sugar" although its real name is raw sugar.
>> How do you usually use that in cooking?

> I think I've probably only used it a couple of times in/on something
> cooked (I think it was on the top of a particular sort of muffins that
> when sprinkled on top, along with crushed walnuts or hazelnut meal
> prior to baking caramelises well in high temps yet retaining a certain
> 'bite/crunch') but my hubby seems to prefer raw sugar in his coffee so
> we always have it. Raw sugar is sometimes called for in certain
> biscuits that have less processed items such as oatmeal and wholemeal
> flours. It has a slightly lighter 'honey' flavour than Demerara and
> is lighter/nicer when mixed into crumbled toppings for apple based
> desserts not being quite as strong.

That makes a lot of sense... crumbled with nuts and other coarse mixtures.

> Strangely enough with all my damn sugars I don't eat much of it myself
> as I find sugars too addictive for me.
>
> Demerara (to me) has too much of a mollasses flavour for coffee but
> many people like it. You can also get raw caster sugar but in the
> things I use caster sugar in, raw would be slightly too deep in colour for
> what I want so I don't buy that one.
>
> CSR actually make "Coffee Sugar" (that has a light syrup coating to
> the grains with an ever so subtle coffee flavour to it) besides their
> "Demerara" but I can hardly tell the difference so I usually get
> whichever one of those two my hand reaches first on the supermarket
> shelf.

flavoured sugar in coffee, that's a bit much. Like those silly syrups.

>> Love the flavour of brown sugar, marvellous for slices. Made a
>> wonderful orange syrup with it, too. Butter, squeezed oranges, and
>> brown sugar.

> Yes you're quite right about the slices and I always use it for things
> that need a deep flavour and depth of colour such as Anzacs, fruit
> cakes and deep spicy cakes, muffins, buns. Great for caramel sauces
> and things.

It just adds that lovely flavour, not just sweetness.

My husband uses brown sugar in some sort of marinade sauce
> thing for he mixes with Sake and Japanese Soy and something else for
> abalone. I wouldn't know what that's like cos I don't like abalone. He
> uses the light brown sugar in some stir fry dishes and palm sugar
> in some of his (Austral)Asian cooking.

I had a block of very dark brown palm sugar in the fridge for years, very
useful stuff, and for some asian things it was perfect. There was an
Indonesian dry stir fried thing with thin strips of beef, soy, palm sugar,
tamarind, dried chilli and garlic. Without the palm sugar it just wasn't as
good.

--
ant

Posted to rec.food.cooking,aus.food

Linda H wrote:
> Linda H wrote:
>> ant wrote:
>>

>>> Hmm. That's interesting. Does normal icing sugar contain wheat or
>>> corn starch?

>> Yes, wheat starch. I got that for when I made a birthday cake for a
>> child with Coeliac disease.

> I forgot to say that the gluten free one uses tapioca (or sometimes
> corn) starch instead of the usual wheat starch.

She can eat Tapioca, but not cornstarch. I must start readign some boxes and
packets, I bet she didn't realise thsi stuff was in it.

--
ant

Posted to rec.food.cooking,aus.food

"Linda H" > wrote in message
u...

> > "arsed"?

> Hi pfoley,
>
> A few Aust. translations (as in Australia not Austin, TX
>
> Pure icing sugar is only a little different to our Soft Icing Mixture.
> The pure is simply that (pure powdered sugar.) Soft Icing Mixture is a
> pre-mix of pure icing (powdered) sugar that has the addition of
> cornflour through it. In this instance (for the recipe in question)
> because it is for dusting on top, it won't matter too much if you use
> what you call powdered sugar, pure, or icing mix. Yes, we mix the
> 'powdered sugar' with water and/or other things to make frosting, too.
> It's because we call it "icing" a cake rather than frosting a cake.
> Yeah, I know, I concede that's dumb coz well... it's not even frozen.
> So that's why we call it icing sugar.
>
> Pure is important for some recipes (especially cake decorating) where
> you are looking to form a firmer setting mix or a stiffer paste. (For
> example, pure with beaten egg whites for firm Royal Icing - for rolling
> out for use on wedding cakes etc.) The addition of the cornflour in the
> other mix keeps it from setting hard but is a good enough all-purpose one.
>
> Not meaning to offend Americans but we use a lot of the proper
> foods/ingredients for the proper things because as a rule good cooks
> (here) pretty much cook from scratch. "From scratch" is a fairly new
> term we've been hearing more lately because it sounds too lazy to do it
> any other way. I guess we've always thought "what other way is there,
> if not from scratch?" AND mostly because cooking "from scratch" is
> BETTER. Much, much better. It's the only way to go.
>
> "Arsed" means assed. Arse has so many lovely meanings depending on use:
> I couldn't be "arsed" - I couldn't be "bothered." Half-arsed means
> something only half-done in a not-bothered kinda way. Someone who is
> "all arse" is bold - they have "more front than Myers." (Never mind
> what Myers means.) "Up myself" or "to be up yourself" means I am
> probably biased and think we are the world's greatest cooks... but
> that's only because we are!
>
> Ahh, only Joshin'. :-)
>
> L.

-------------------------------
Thanks for that translation; I found it very interesting.

Posted to rec.food.cooking,aus.food

"PeterL" > wrote in message
> "pfoley" > wrote in
> k.net:
>

> > "PeterL" > wrote in message
> >> "pfoley" > wrote in
> >> ink.net:
> >>
> >> ------------------------------------------
> >>
> >> Greedy *******!!
> >>
> >> But yeah......... I'll get around to it.
> >>
> >> It's 0151hrs...... we finished work about 45mins ago, and now I have

> > get
> >> up at 0600hrs to go do a fundraiser.
> >>
> >> Oh joy!!

> >> http://joshmadison.net/software/convert/
> >>
> >> A very good (small) program that will help you out on all those
> >> little queries you may have.
> >>
> >> But to answer your question......... 170C is actually 338F

> >> spray
> >>
> >> I couldn't be arsed.
> >>
> >> Which is why I now buy silicone cookware.

> >> (Biting my tongue!!!) That's OK.
> >>

> >> Ciao
> >>

> >> --
> >> Peter Lucas
> >> Brisbane
> >> Australia
> >>
> >> 'Enjoy today, it was paid for by a veteran'

> > ---------------------------
> > "arsed"?

> Couldn't be buggered.
>

> > That conversion program is pretty good; I downloaded it.
> > Too bad it didn't convert dollars to sterling and euro, I could use
> > that,

> http://www.xe.com/ucc/
>

> --
> Peter Lucas
> Brisbane
> Australia
>
> 'Enjoy today, it was paid for by a veteran'

==========================
Thanks for the money converter; you are most helpful.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

:

>> On Fri, 28 Jul 2006 18:51:54 GMT, "pfoley" >
>> wrote:
>>
>>>That conversion program is pretty good; I downloaded it.
>>>Too bad it didn't convert dollars to sterling and euro, I could use
>>>that, but I guess its for measurements only, which will come in handy
>>>when I try to read your next two recipes.

>> Try any page of the RFC website. Link is at the top.
>> http://www.recfoodcooking.com/

>Bugger!! I forgot wreck.food had the currency *and* other shit converter
>on the site......... Damn!! I must be getting old :-(

Not until next month, ya old fart!
Carol

Posted to rec.food.cooking,aus.food

ant wrote:

> Yes, a relative has that, and we keep making discoveries like this one! So,
> the stuff flogged in the supermarket as just normal old icing sugar has
> wheat? (she's allergic to corn, too, which is a nuisence).

Yeah, apparently so, Ant.
Posted to rec.food.cooking,aus.food

Linda H wrote:
> ant wrote:
>

>> Yes, a relative has that, and we keep making discoveries like this
>> one! So, the stuff flogged in the supermarket as just normal old
>> icing sugar has wheat? (she's allergic to corn, too, which is a
>> nuisence).

> Yeah, apparently so, Ant.

This will explain a few times when she's had a reaction, and couldn't work
out why. Thanks for that info.

--
ant

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Damsel in dis Dress > wrote in
:

> On 29 Jul 2006 09:17:42 GMT, PeterL > wrote:
>
>>Damsel in dis Dress > wrote in
m:

handy

>>> Try any page of the RFC website. Link is at the top.
>>> http://www.recfoodcooking.com/

>>Bugger!! I forgot wreck.food had the currency *and* other shit

converter
>>on the site......... Damn!! I must be getting old :-(

> Not until next month, ya old fart!

Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!

:-)

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane
Australia

'Enjoy today, it was paid for by a veteran'

Posted to rec.food.cooking,aus.food

On Sat, 29 Jul 2006 21:25:11 +1000, ant > wrote in
>:

> Kwyjibo wrote:
>> Linda H wrote:
>>> Someone who is "all arse" is bold

>> Huh? I thought "all arse" meant extremely lucky.

> I thought all arse meant all mouth and trousers, all front and bluster, a
> bullshit artist.

Two other alternatives would be "all gate and gaiters" and "all **** and
wind". "All **** and vinegar" would be similar but with added
connotations of stroppiness.

--
Die dulci fruere,
Nicolaas.

.... If you are on the cutting edge, you are holding the knife the wrong
way
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Slang

Nicolaas wrote:

> "All **** and vinegar" would be similar but with added
> connotations of stroppiness.

An episode of "The Simpsons" had Abe Simpson (Homer's father) declaiming,
"I'm an old man, and I'm full of **** and vinegar!"

Then in a more subdued voice, he went on, "I used to just be full of
vinegar..."

:-)

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 30 Jul 2006 01:11:01 -0500, Bob Terwilliger
> wrote in
>:

> Nicolaas wrote:
>
>> "All **** and vinegar" would be similar but with added
>> connotations of stroppiness.

> An episode of "The Simpsons" had Abe Simpson (Homer's father) declaiming,
> "I'm an old man, and I'm full of **** and vinegar!"
>
> Then in a more subdued voice, he went on, "I used to just be full of
> vinegar..."
>
> :-)
>
> Bob

<cackle>
That would have been before they put him on frusemide....

--
Die dulci fruere,
Nicolaas.

.... "Anyone can be mistaken," intoned the embarrassed Dalek as he climbed
off the dustbin.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Nicolaas Hawkins > wrote:

> On 30 Jul 2006 01:11:01 -0500, Bob Terwilliger
> > wrote in
> >:
>
> > Nicolaas wrote:
> >
> >> "All **** and vinegar" would be similar but with added
> >> connotations of stroppiness.

> > An episode of "The Simpsons" had Abe Simpson (Homer's father) declaiming,
> > "I'm an old man, and I'm full of **** and vinegar!"
> >
> > Then in a more subdued voice, he went on, "I used to just be full of
> > vinegar..."
> >
> > :-)
> >
> > Bob

> <cackle>
> That would have been before they put him on frusemide....

Furosemide...... ;-)

aka "Lasix".
--
Peace!
Om

-- Jack Nicholson
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 30 Jul 2006 06:12:56 -0500, OmManiPadmeOmelet >
wrote in >:

> In article >,
> Nicolaas Hawkins > wrote:
>
>> On 30 Jul 2006 01:11:01 -0500, Bob Terwilliger
>> > wrote in
>> >:

>>> An episode of "The Simpsons" had Abe Simpson (Homer's father) declaiming,
>>> "I'm an old man, and I'm full of **** and vinegar!"
>>>
>>> Then in a more subdued voice, he went on, "I used to just be full of
>>> vinegar..."
>>>
>>> :-)
>>>
>>> Bob

>> <cackle>
>> That would have been before they put him on frusemide....

> Furosemide...... ;-)
>
> aka "Lasix".

Whatever they call it in American. English is the lingua franca of my
country.

--
Die dulci fruere,
Nicolaas.

.... Don't squat with your spurs on.

Just made a Coconut and Raspberry Loaf PeterL General Cooking 4 27-07-2006 03:00 PM
Raspberry Omelette Souffle With Lemon Curd And Raspberry Coulis Glasshousejohn Recipes (moderated) 0 11-05-2006 03:46 AM
Banana Coconut Loaf Tim Recipes 0 27-05-2005 12:37 PM
Raspberry Coconut Bars Edoc Recipes (moderated) 0 24-02-2005 05:30 AM