Bob Myers

Default OLD cast iron?

Not QUITE Yet Another Post about how to season new cast iron...

In unpacking some boxes that had been in the basement for years,
I came across some old cast iron that I can remember my Dad using
thirty years ago. At the time, of course, these were all well-seasoned;
I remember them all nice and black, and of course they turned out
many wonderful meals. But they've been packed away and unused
for at least 20 years now - Mom never used them, and I stored these
boxes after she died a couple of years ago. Today they're rusty in
spots, and just in general don't look like something I want to be
cooking with. I'm wondering if anyone has pointers on restoring
old cast iron to service. I've been thinking that coarse steel wool
or even sandblasting could get the accumlated rust and crud off,
and then treating it like new, unseasoned cast iron would be the way
to go. Any thoughts on this?

Yes, I know I could go out and just buy new - but since this stuff's
sort of at "family heirloom" status, I'd sure like to restore it and use
it.

Bob M.

Michel Boucher

Dans un moment de folie, "Bob Myers"
> écrivit:

> I've been
> thinking that coarse steel wool or even sandblasting could get the
> accumlated rust and crud off, and then treating it like new,
> unseasoned cast iron would be the way to go. Any thoughts on
> this?

Use a bit of vegetable oil and a cloth to see how deep the rust is. It
might just be a small sheen. If it hasn't damaged the metal, you can
remove it with a bit of scraping. If it has damaged the surface, I'd
just keep them as decorations.

--

My trip to Asia begins here in Japan for an important
reason. It begins here because for a century-and-a-half

George Bush, 18 Feb 2002, Tokyo
Robert Klute

On Mon, 29 Sep 2003 13:13:48 -0600, "Bob Myers"
> wrote:

>Not QUITE Yet Another Post about how to season new cast iron...
>
>In unpacking some boxes that had been in the basement for years,
>I came across some old cast iron that I can remember my Dad using
>thirty years ago. At the time, of course, these were all well-seasoned;
>I remember them all nice and black, and of course they turned out
>many wonderful meals. But they've been packed away and unused
>for at least 20 years now - Mom never used them, and I stored these
>boxes after she died a couple of years ago. Today they're rusty in
>spots, and just in general don't look like something I want to be
>cooking with. I'm wondering if anyone has pointers on restoring
>old cast iron to service. I've been thinking that coarse steel wool
>or even sandblasting could get the accumlated rust and crud off,
>and then treating it like new, unseasoned cast iron would be the way
>to go. Any thoughts on this?
>
>Yes, I know I could go out and just buy new - but since this stuff's
>sort of at "family heirloom" status, I'd sure like to restore it and use
>it.

Don't throw them out, they are still good. Perhaps even better than the
new stuff. You are on the right track. Sand/bead blast it, or use a
wire brush attached to a drill, or use lots of elbow grease and steel
wool. Then wash them well and reseason.

Vox Humana

"Bob Myers" > wrote in message
> Not QUITE Yet Another Post about how to season new cast iron...
>
> In unpacking some boxes that had been in the basement for years,
> I came across some old cast iron that I can remember my Dad using
> thirty years ago. At the time, of course, these were all well-seasoned;
> I remember them all nice and black, and of course they turned out
> many wonderful meals. But they've been packed away and unused
> for at least 20 years now - Mom never used them, and I stored these
> boxes after she died a couple of years ago. Today they're rusty in
> spots, and just in general don't look like something I want to be
> cooking with. I'm wondering if anyone has pointers on restoring
> old cast iron to service. I've been thinking that coarse steel wool
> or even sandblasting could get the accumlated rust and crud off,
> and then treating it like new, unseasoned cast iron would be the way
> to go. Any thoughts on this?
>
> Yes, I know I could go out and just buy new - but since this stuff's
> sort of at "family heirloom" status, I'd sure like to restore it and use
> it.

You can put it in your oven and run a cleaning cycle or you can put it in a
garbage bag, spray with oven cleaner, and leave over night. Clean it well
and then reseason.

j*ni

Hark! I heard "Bob Myers" > say:

<snip>

> Today they're rusty in
> spots, and just in general don't look like something I want to be
> cooking with. I'm wondering if anyone has pointers on restoring
> old cast iron to service. I've been thinking that coarse steel wool
> or even sandblasting could get the accumlated rust and crud off,
> and then treating it like new, unseasoned cast iron would be the way
> to go. Any thoughts on this?

I'm no expert, but that sounds like a reasonable approach. You
might try sticking it in a self-cleaning oven and running the
"clean" cycle, to burn off the crud, but I would think you'd
need that steel wool for the rust.

> Yes, I know I could go out and just buy new -

Ack, no!!

> but since this stuff's sort of at "family heirloom" status, I'd
> sure like to restore it and use it.

I'd definitely try to restore this first. Old stuff can be good
stuff...

--
j*ni m. ~ mom, gamer, novice cook ~
...fish heads, fish heads, eat them up, yum!

j*ni

Default OT: Political Comment (Was OLD cast iron?)

I rarely comment on the political stuff, but I had to
ask about this:

Hark! I heard Michel Boucher > say:

<snip>

> My trip to Asia begins here in Japan for an important
> reason. It begins here because for a century-and-a-half
> now, America and Japan have formed one of the great and
> enduring alliances of modern times. From that alliance
> has come an era of peace in the Pacific.
>
> George Bush, 18 Feb 2002, Tokyo

Did he *really* say "a century-and-a-half"?? Guess WWII
slipped his mind. Maybe he's sucking up so they'll forget
that 'banquet barf' incident...

--
j*ni m. ~ mom, gamer, novice cook ~
...fish heads, fish heads, eat them up, yum!
Phil(NM)

Build a big campfire and develpe a lot of red-hot coals. put the pans
upside down right on the coals and then cover with more coals. When the
fire burns down, dig them out and then clean and re-season as you would
new pans. The fire will take care of the crud, rust, and anything else
that isn't good iron. If they've rusted thru (i doubt it) too much
anywhere, you'll be able to spot it right away when you pull them from
the ashes.

Don't buy new, restore these! And if that's to much trouble, send them
to me... <grin>

Phil(NM)
PENMART01

"Bob Myers" > writes:

>In unpacking some boxes that had been in the basement for years,
>I came across some old cast iron that I can remember my Dad using
>thirty years ago. At the time, of course, these were all well-seasoned;
>I remember them all nice and black, and of course they turned out
>many wonderful meals. But they've been packed away and unused
>for at least 20 years now - Mom never used them, and I stored these
>boxes after she died a couple of years ago. Today they're rusty in
>spots, and just in general don't look like something I want to be
>cooking with. I'm wondering if anyone has pointers on restoring
>old cast iron to service. I've been thinking that coarse steel wool
>or even sandblasting could get the accumlated rust and crud off,
>and then treating it like new, unseasoned cast iron would be the way
>to go. Any thoughts on this?
>
>Yes, I know I could go out and just buy new - but since this stuff's
>sort of at "family heirloom" status, I'd sure like to restore it and use
>it.

Best way to clean cast iron is with a stiff wire brush... get those rotary
types that will chuck in your drill motor... 0ne to two buck each at you rlocal
hardware emporium.

But first ascertain whether your family jewels are of a quality worth your
ministrations. Much cast iron cookware, especially those purchased as sets,
are of very poor quality and are hardly worth their weight in doorstops. Good
quality cast iron cookware nowadays is relatively low cost so you may instead
be better off opting for brand new rather than make do... you'll be much
happier with pieces that you personally choose to suit your cooking style and
you may actually use. However, cookware you lived 20-30 years without will in
all probablity after all your toil reviving will never get used and end up back
in the same storzage boxes. Bottom line is you give no indication of which
pieces you have so I can't give you any indication of which pieces are worth
considering for reviving.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
Sheldon
````````````

The Wolf

On 9/29/03 7:25 PM, in article ,
"Michel Boucher" > opined:

> Dans un moment de folie, "Bob Myers"
> > écrivit:
>
>If it has damaged the surface, I'd
> just keep them as decorations.

You know less about cookware than politics! And THAT is hard to believe.

They will clean up fine.

"When a broad table is to be made, and the edges of planks do not fit, the
artist takes a little from both, and makes a good joint. In like manner
here, both sides must part with some of their demands," Benjamin Franklin
(1706-1790)

PENMART01

The Wolf > writes:

>"Michel Boucher" > opined:
>
>> Dans un moment de folie, "Bob Myers"
>> > écrivit:
>>
>>If it has damaged the surface, I'd
>> just keep them as decorations.

>You know less about cookware than politics! And THAT is hard to believe.
>
>They will clean up fine.

Neither of yoose loud mouths know shit from shinola about politics, but here
Boucher is 100% correct (dumb luck) and you, Lobo douche bag, are 100%
incorrect.

There is absolutely no point in attempting to revive cast iron cookware that is
so badly rusted that removal of same will result in pitted splotches so deep
rendering the cookware totally useless for cooking... best used for pounding
some sense into both of yoose thick numbskulls.

Stick to what you think you know, fercocktah politics... neither of yoose
misfits know anything even remotely related to cooking.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
Sheldon
````````````

Robert Klute

On 29 Sep 2003 19:25:14 GMT, Michel Boucher >
wrote:

>Dans un moment de folie, "Bob Myers"
> écrivit:
>
>> I've been
>> thinking that coarse steel wool or even sandblasting could get the
>> accumlated rust and crud off, and then treating it like new,
>> unseasoned cast iron would be the way to go. Any thoughts on
>> this?

>Use a bit of vegetable oil and a cloth to see how deep the rust is. It
>might just be a small sheen. If it hasn't damaged the metal, you can
>remove it with a bit of scraping. If it has damaged the surface, I'd
>just keep them as decorations.

To state the obvious - if the pits are on the outside or inner walls,
and not DEEP, it doesn't matter. If they are on the inner base and not
too deep, then try using a disk sander attached to a drill to work out
the pits. Start with a fairly course carbide disk and work down the
grits. Course, at some point the cost of the brushes, disks, etc. will
start to exceed the cost of a new set. So be cognizant of the
sentimental value the pots and pans hold for you.

Nina

"Bob Myers" > wrote
Today they're rusty in
> spots, and just in general don't look like something I want to be
> cooking with. I'm wondering if anyone has pointers on restoring
> old cast iron to service. I've been thinking that coarse steel wool
> or even sandblasting could get the accumlated rust and crud off,
> and then treating it like new, unseasoned cast iron would be the way
> to go. Any thoughts on this?
>
> Yes, I know I could go out and just buy new - but since this stuff's
> sort of at "family heirloom" status, I'd sure like to restore it and use
> it.

No need to apologize, there are people who would fight you for those pots. I
prefer mine old because they are smoother, I just bought a pot with a handle
thingy from the thrift store for 5 bucks! Whoo!
One method is to put the pans in a HOT oven and bake the hell out of them,
then steel wool all the crust off the inside. The outsides usually remain
pretty lump, from what I have seen.

Michel Boucher

Dans un moment de folie, Robert Klute
> écrivit:

> On 29 Sep 2003 19:25:14 GMT, Michel Boucher >
> wrote:
>
>>Dans un moment de folie, "Bob Myers"
> écrivit:
>>
>>> I've been
>>> thinking that coarse steel wool or even sandblasting could get
>>> the accumlated rust and crud off, and then treating it like new,
>>> unseasoned cast iron would be the way to go. Any thoughts on
>>> this?

>>Use a bit of vegetable oil and a cloth to see how deep the rust
>>is. It might just be a small sheen. If it hasn't damaged the
>>metal, you can remove it with a bit of scraping. If it has
>>damaged the surface, I'd just keep them as decorations.

> To state the obvious - if the pits are on the outside or inner
> walls, and not DEEP, it doesn't matter. If they are on the inner
> base and not too deep, then try using a disk sander attached to a
> drill to work out the pits. Start with a fairly course carbide
> disk and work down the grits. Course, at some point the cost of
> the brushes, disks, etc. will start to exceed the cost of a new
> set. So be cognizant of the sentimental value the pots and pans
> hold for you.

Not to forget that they will still be heirlooms hanging on the wall.

--

My trip to Asia begins here in Japan for an important
reason. It begins here because for a century-and-a-half
now, America and Japan have formed one of the great and
enduring alliances of modern times. From that alliance
has come an era of peace in the Pacific.

George Bush, 18 Feb 2002, Tokyo
Bob Myers

Thanks to all who have responded. No, they're nowhere near
rusted through, so at this point I'm going to take the wire-brush-
on-the-electric-drill route, then reseason. Then it'll be time for
the first fried chicken that big skillet has made in decades...:-)

Bob M.

The Wolf

On 9/29/03 9:49 PM, in article , "Bob Myers"
> opined:

> Thanks to all who have responded. No, they're nowhere near
> rusted through, so at this point I'm going to take the wire-brush-
> on-the-electric-drill route, then reseason. Then it'll be time for
> the first fried chicken that big skillet has made in decades...:-)
>
> Bob M.

Don't take off more than necessary.

zxcvbob

Bob Myers wrote:

> Not QUITE Yet Another Post about how to season new cast iron...
>
> In unpacking some boxes that had been in the basement for years,
> I came across some old cast iron that I can remember my Dad using
> thirty years ago. At the time, of course, these were all well-seasoned;
> I remember them all nice and black, and of course they turned out
> many wonderful meals. But they've been packed away and unused
> for at least 20 years now - Mom never used them, and I stored these
> boxes after she died a couple of years ago. Today they're rusty in
> spots, and just in general don't look like something I want to be
> cooking with. I'm wondering if anyone has pointers on restoring
> old cast iron to service. I've been thinking that coarse steel wool
> or even sandblasting could get the accumlated rust and crud off,
> and then treating it like new, unseasoned cast iron would be the way
> to go. Any thoughts on this?
>
> Yes, I know I could go out and just buy new - but since this stuff's
> sort of at "family heirloom" status, I'd sure like to restore it and use
> it.
>
> Bob M.

Burn them in the fireplace, or clean them with oven cleaner (lye).
Either will be easier and do less damage than a wire brush. I prefer
the fire method.

Bob

The Wolf

On 9/29/03 10:10 PM, in article ,
"Robert Klute" > opined:

> On 29 Sep 2003 20:47:32 GMT, Michel Boucher >
> wrote:
>
>> Dans un moment de folie,
(j*ni)
>> écrivit:
>>
>>> Did he *really* say "a century-and-a-half"?? Guess WWII
>>> slipped his mind. Maybe he's sucking up so they'll forget
>>> that 'banquet barf' incident...

>> Ok, for the last time, the statement is genuine. At least as much as
>> any such statement can be genuine. The odd thing is that "half-a-
>> century" would be true. Maybe all he needs are glasses so he can read
>> the teleprompter. Or maybe he's an idiot, or even both.

> In 1853 Admiral Perry sailed into Edo (Tokyo) Bay with the largest fleet
> sent abroad by the US to impress upon the Japanese the benefits of open
> trade. (The kind of diplomacy I am sure Bush understands and
> appreciates). Every since the the US and Japan have been actively
> engaged in trade. Now every relationship has its ups and downs, and
> there was a brief 3 1/2 yr or so period where we traded bullets and
> bombs, but that is no reason to get in the way of a good celebration.
> Why even the Japanese are celebrating this momentous anniversary:

http://www.cgj.org/150th/html/homeE.htm

Nice research! But it will only shut that pompous ass canuck up for about
five seconds.
"When a broad table is to be made, and the edges of planks do not fit, the
artist takes a little from both, and makes a good joint. In like manner
here, both sides must part with some of their demands," Benjamin Franklin
(1706-1790)

Cult of Nurse's

Bob Myers wrote:
> Not QUITE Yet Another Post about how to season new cast iron...
>
> In unpacking some boxes that had been in the basement for years,
> I came across some old cast iron that I can remember my Dad using
> thirty years ago. At the time, of course, these were all well-seasoned;
> I remember them all nice and black, and of course they turned out
> many wonderful meals. But they've been packed away and unused
> for at least 20 years now - Mom never used them, and I stored these
> boxes after she died a couple of years ago. Today they're rusty in
> spots, and just in general don't look like something I want to be
> cooking with. I'm wondering if anyone has pointers on restoring
> old cast iron to service. I've been thinking that coarse steel wool
> or even sandblasting could get the accumlated rust and crud off,
> and then treating it like new, unseasoned cast iron would be the way
> to go. Any thoughts on this?
>
> Yes, I know I could go out and just buy new - but since this stuff's
> sort of at "family heirloom" status, I'd sure like to restore it and use
> it.
>
> Bob M.

You can take off lots of rust with the 3M abrasive plastic disk, chucked
in a hand drill. That tends to work better than a wire wheel brush.
Also, you might try making an electrolysis tank; this is how the folks
over on rec.woodworking deal with rusty hand planes (i'm not sure it's
right for food pans though). Fires or a hot oven might deal with crud,
but pans can warp or crack, so take it slow. If there is deep pitting, a
grinder might be more appropriate for removing all traces of rust.

http://66.175.18.153/Electrolysis/ru...lect_setup.htm

Nancy Young

Cult of Nurse's wrote:

You're using up all the apostrophes. (smile) Nurses.

Unless you really mean Nurses is.

nancy
zxcvbob

Nancy Young wrote:
> Cult of Nurse's wrote:
>
> You're using up all the apostrophes. (smile) Nurses.
> Unless you really mean Nurses is.
>
> nancy

Or singular possessive.

Best regards,
Bob

Nancy Young

zxcvbob wrote:

> Nancy Young wrote:
> > Cult of Nurse's wrote:
> >
> > You're using up all the apostrophes. (smile) Nurses.
> > Unless you really mean Nurses is.
> >
> > nancy

> Or singular possessive.

But then, the nurse's what? Cult of Nurse's Needles?

nancy
Hahabogus

Nancy Young > wrote in
:

> Or singular possessive.

singulars are usually most possessive.

Cult of Nurse's

Nancy Young wrote:
> zxcvbob wrote:
>
>>Nancy Young wrote:
>>
>>>Cult of Nurse's wrote:
>>>
>>>You're using up all the apostrophes. (smile) Nurses.
>>>Unless you really mean Nurses is.
>>>
>>>nancy

>>Or singular possessive.

> But then, the nurse's what? Cult of Nurse's Needles?
>
> nancy

Cult of Nurse's health

Hahabogus

Cult of Nurse's > wrote in
:

> But then, the nurse's what? Cult of Nurse's Needles?

Cult of Nurse's smelly socks?
Cult of Nurse's used parafin wax lips?
Cult of Nurse's umbrellas?

Cult of Nurse's

Nancy Young wrote:
> Cult of Nurse's wrote:
>
> You're using up all the apostrophes. (smile) Nurses.
>
> Unless you really mean Nurses is.
>
> nancy

http://sonic-arts.org/dict/syncom.htm

heh, some vague relation to food (maybe not). This fellow is
certainly taking the high road on his web page. Very punny

Gary

Bob Myers wrote:

> Not QUITE Yet Another Post about how to season new cast iron...
>
> In unpacking some boxes that had been in the basement for years,
> I came across some old cast iron that I can remember my Dad using
> thirty years ago. At the time, of course, these were all well-seasoned;
> I remember them all nice and black, and of course they turned out
> many wonderful meals. But they've been packed away and unused
> for at least 20 years now - Mom never used them, and I stored these
> boxes after she died a couple of years ago. Today they're rusty in
> spots, and just in general don't look like something I want to be
> cooking with. I'm wondering if anyone has pointers on restoring
> old cast iron to service. I've been thinking that coarse steel wool
> or even sandblasting could get the accumlated rust and crud off,
> and then treating it like new, unseasoned cast iron would be the way
> to go. Any thoughts on this?
>
> Yes, I know I could go out and just buy new - but since this stuff's
> sort of at "family heirloom" status, I'd sure like to restore it and use
> it.
>
> Bob M.

Media blasting will not attack the surface of the metal and remove the
"annealing" layer like sand blasting would. Media blasting uses hard plastic
blast media rather than sand, and is safe for things that sand is not. When
I lived in a powder coating shop, I used to take my pans to the media blast
cabinet to clean them (NO blasting is safe for teflon).

Gary

Gary

PENMART01 wrote:

> "Bob Myers" > writes:
>
> >In unpacking some boxes that had been in the basement for years,
> >I came across some old cast iron that I can remember my Dad using
> >thirty years ago. At the time, of course, these were all well-seasoned;
> >I remember them all nice and black, and of course they turned out
> >many wonderful meals. But they've been packed away and unused
> >for at least 20 years now - Mom never used them, and I stored these
> >boxes after she died a couple of years ago. Today they're rusty in
> >spots, and just in general don't look like something I want to be
> >cooking with. I'm wondering if anyone has pointers on restoring
> >old cast iron to service. I've been thinking that coarse steel wool
> >or even sandblasting could get the accumlated rust and crud off,
> >and then treating it like new, unseasoned cast iron would be the way
> >to go. Any thoughts on this?
> >
> >Yes, I know I could go out and just buy new - but since this stuff's
> >sort of at "family heirloom" status, I'd sure like to restore it and use
> >it.

> Best way to clean cast iron is with a stiff wire brush... get those rotary
> types that will chuck in your drill motor... 0ne to two buck each at you rlocal
> hardware emporium.
>
> But first ascertain whether your family jewels are of a quality worth your
> ministrations. Much cast iron cookware, especially those purchased as sets,
> are of very poor quality and are hardly worth their weight in doorstops. Good
> quality cast iron cookware nowadays is relatively low cost so you may instead
> be better off opting for brand new rather than make do... you'll be much
> happier with pieces that you personally choose to suit your cooking style and
> you may actually use. However, cookware you lived 20-30 years without will in
> all probablity after all your toil reviving will never get used and end up back
> in the same storzage boxes. Bottom line is you give no indication of which
> pieces you have so I can't give you any indication of which pieces are worth
> considering for reviving.

Do the truly old and sturdy ones have any antique or collector value?

Gary

Cuchulain Libby

"Gary" > wrote >
> Do the truly old and sturdy ones have any antique or collector value?

Let me answer it this way; They don't lose value. I like to go to flea
markets and antique shops. CI from there is comparable in price to new, but
you can find pieces outside the usual frying pans and DO's

-Hound not taking into account the time value of $$

Nancy Dooley

Gary > wrote in message >...

> > you may actually use. However, cookware you lived 20-30 years without will in
> > all probablity after all your toil reviving will never get used and end up back
> > in the same storzage boxes. Bottom line is you give no indication of which
> > pieces you have so I can't give you any indication of which pieces are worth
> > considering for reviving.

> Do the truly old and sturdy ones have any antique or collector value?
>
> Gary

Search for "Griswold" on Ebay - there was a "pre-Griswold Erie"
skillet on last week - almost 12" across and nearly 3" deep - went for
$165. Collectors go for certain ones with certain logos.

N.
A.T. Hagan

On Mon, 29 Sep 2003 17:14:14 -0500, zxcvbob >
wrote:

>Bob Myers wrote:
>
>> Not QUITE Yet Another Post about how to season new cast iron...
>>
>> In unpacking some boxes that had been in the basement for years,
>> I came across some old cast iron that I can remember my Dad using
>> thirty years ago. At the time, of course, these were all well-seasoned;
>> I remember them all nice and black, and of course they turned out
>> many wonderful meals. But they've been packed away and unused
>> for at least 20 years now - Mom never used them, and I stored these
>> boxes after she died a couple of years ago. Today they're rusty in
>> spots, and just in general don't look like something I want to be
>> cooking with. I'm wondering if anyone has pointers on restoring
>> old cast iron to service. I've been thinking that coarse steel wool
>> or even sandblasting could get the accumlated rust and crud off,
>> and then treating it like new, unseasoned cast iron would be the way
>> to go. Any thoughts on this?
>>
>> Yes, I know I could go out and just buy new - but since this stuff's
>> sort of at "family heirloom" status, I'd sure like to restore it and use
>> it.
>>
>> Bob M.

>Burn them in the fireplace, or clean them with oven cleaner (lye).
>Either will be easier and do less damage than a wire brush. I prefer
>the fire method.
>
>Bob

I used to burn mine, but have gone to the oven cleaner method. Messy,
but I don't have to fool with building a fire. Take all appropriate
safety precautions. Done right there won't be *anything* but metal
left on the pan.

......Alan.

Post no bills
PENMART01

>PENMART01 wrote:
>
>> "Bob Myers" > writes:
>>
>> >In unpacking some boxes that had been in the basement for years,
>> >I came across some old cast iron.

>>Bottom line is you give no indication of
>>which pieces you have so I can't give you
>>any indication of which pieces are worth
>>considering for reviving.

>Do the truly old and sturdy ones have any antique or collector value?

Perhaps, but not necessarily any culinary value, usually not anymore
utilitarian value than a hundred year old pair of shoes.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
Sheldon
````````````

CaptCook

Bob Myers wrote...
> Not QUITE Yet Another Post about how to season new cast iron...
> I came across some old cast iron that I can remember my Dad using
> thirty years ago

I was given a chicken cooker that had been sitting on a basement floor for
years. Rusty with unidentified lumps attached. I put it thru the
self-cleaning oven cycle and it came out cleaned. Then seasoned with canola
and it has been in serious use for 15 years.

Gary

Nancy Dooley wrote:

> Gary > wrote in message >...
>
> > > you may actually use. However, cookware you lived 20-30 years without will in
> > > all probablity after all your toil reviving will never get used and end up back
> > > in the same storzage boxes. Bottom line is you give no indication of which
> > > pieces you have so I can't give you any indication of which pieces are worth
> > > considering for reviving.

> > Do the truly old and sturdy ones have any antique or collector value?
> >
> > Gary

> Search for "Griswold" on Ebay - there was a "pre-Griswold Erie"
> skillet on last week - almost 12" across and nearly 3" deep - went for
> $165. Collectors go for certain ones with certain logos.
>
> N.

Speaking of large skillets, I've seen some that are HUGE; at least 24" across. Are
those rare? They seem to be most prevalent in wagon trains and old west cookery (but
they are great for Ostrich or Emu eggs!).

Gary